Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand, competition is good because it forces companies to compete and actually improve the quality of their products. Right now Valve is being lazy and wants to enjoy all the perks of being a PC gaming government (collect taxes and detailed census data) while shirking all the responsibilities (build and maintain infrastructure, keep the peace and punish rule-breakers, provide education and awareness on public safety and health issues).

On the other hand, Steam sucks but so far barring GOG and maybe itch.io all the other options suck even harder, nobody likes balkinization of content especially not over like a dozen different platforms, and consumer patience has its limits before people get fed up with the whole market and start looking for greener pastures (Nintendo Switch or mobile gaming).

And on the gripping hand, while the PC client might not be so bad, the infosec drone in me really despises Epic training kids to break good security practices on their parents' phones and download dubiously secure third-party apps and app stores onto said phones just to play the games they want. That's a recipe for security exploit and malware abuse if I ever heard one, and I imagine we're going to hear all sorts of Epic app store horror stories in the coming months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s great until you have to switch phones, or uninstall it or do anything to mess with it ever...

I stopped using it because I forgot to specifically disconnect it before switching phones and was lucky to recover my accounts with the recovery codes. The amount of janitoring required to keep it safe is more annoying than possibly losing my assassins creed account

Try Authenticator+, it saves the info in an encrypted file you can dump on Google Drive or Dropbox and keep synced between your devices.

If you have a Yubikey, you could also try Yubico Authenticator. That stores between 20-32 codes on the key (depending on how new it is) so you can plug it into your computer (or even your phone, if it's Android and has NFC) to pull up the codes.

They also just plain look nicer than Google Authenticator.

Also remember, SMS 2FA means the person needs access to your phone number, not the phone itself. Which means, thanks to Sim Swap and Port Forwarding scams, it should be considered effectively broken for security purposes. (unless you send it to a VOIP number like Google Voice or something)

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2018

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And yet both the publishers and indie game devs seem rather desperate for this to work.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

This Peter Coffin video is really on-point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOUA7lVfMHU

People tend to lose sight of the fact that Epic isn't trying to "compete" with Steam. The goal of a company in a capitalist system is never to compete, it's to crush everybody else and literally be the only game in town. That's it, that's Epic's ultimate goal here, they're not the good guys and there's no such thing as "good competition".

The market is bullshit, so is capitalism, so is Sweeney and so is GabeN.

Well yeah, because it's More Money. Also not getting drowned out by the white noise of sex games.

True, but hopefully stuff like this and Stadia and the continued scandals in the crowdfunding scene will finally wake people up to the fact that the "plucky indies" aren't your friends either, and would be just as bad as the big publishers if given half the chance.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BexGu posted:

I honestly I think a ton of devs are looking at the money and not realized what else that 30% is getting them. Like Steamworks has a ton of features that are a bitch and half to implement on their own. And that is not even counting the store page features like reviews, forums (extremely useful for finding bugs/fixes), Steam Guides, people streaming the game, etc. I recently bought Dark Devotion cause this Steam Guide Things you should know about Dark Devotion layed out how the game worked and answered some questions I had while the forums/reviews helped the Developers fix a issue users were having with controllers. Contrast that with Epic Store and I have no loving clue whats going on with Hades.

They should absolutely know what Steam gets them, they watched this a month ago where Valve details all sorts of behind-the-scenes stuff they do, like oh, say... effectively running their own internet so people can buy and download your games without issue while the regular internet is busy getting spiked with the Game of Thrones final season premier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvr02SiHY4

Also, I'm pretty convinced devs actually hate Steam forums and think not having them on EGS is a feature, not a bug.