Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh no the publisher :cry:

gently caress them I’m saving me 10 bucks

Edit: here’s something that actually gives me pause - Epic is owned by a Chinese company (Tencent), so maybe they’re giving a shitload of user info to them?

Epic is owned 10% by a Chinese company, I don't think they are giving them anything beyond rough metrics at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

40% at least.

Yeah sorry just confirmed 40% Tencent. I read 10% for a couple of sources yesterday sorry for passing along misinformation.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

So Epic have said that if Steam gives developers an 80% profit cut they will stop swallowing up exclusive deals.

Now why am I not inclined to believe that.

It was 88% and it had to be for all developers with no catches and it had to be permanent. Also Tim said they would retreat from exclusive deals and even consider publishing their games like Fortnite on Steam.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/25/ceo-tim-sweeney-epic-games-store-will-hastily-retreat-from-exclusives-if-valve-changes-revenue-model/

"If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam." -Tim Sweeney