Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
A 12% cut isn’t much if you are counting processing fees (5% for a company that big) and the cost of maintaining servers to host and deliver content, in addition to an online storefront, cost of dealing with fraud, etc.

The advantage of Steam is all the publisher needs to do is make, market, and maintain their game. Everything necessary to sell and deliver content is provided by Valve. You don’t even need your own forums anymore. I’d say this in and of itself is worth about 20%, considering how much work and resources it takes off your hands.

Personally I find it absurd that Epic is talking like they’re trying to exact social justice or something - it’s a marketing ploy. It’s always a marketing ploy. If they are offering cash for exclusivity and only taking a 12% cut of revenue then Epic is losing money on these games, most likely. Buying the PC exclusivity for something like Metro is just idiotic when it’s also on every console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
To be fair you are going to calculate (and probably recalculate several times over the course of a game cycle) the ideal retail price in several ways. Generally you want the opening price to be high, with token rewards so early adopters don’t get pissed off, then based on those sales numbers and whatever deals the storefront is putting together you will have an ideal time to hit 50% or 80% off in a sale. Personally I think you could count on just about any decent game mopping up some cash every time it goes 80% off in every sale (like Bastion) for the foreseeable future, and it’s a long term revenue stream that can in time result in decent cash.

Personally I am in the class of people who only likes buying and playing sub $20 games on sale and have forked over a considerable amount of cash doing so. Often on games I’ve never played. This new model where the “normal” price is ridiculously inflated but everyone is pitching bargains works really well, in my opinion. Lots of good cheap old games to be played these days.