Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

jokes posted:

Same. I think it's fine in some games if done tastefully, but for the people that want them the romances are always NOT ENOUGH.

I just wanna shoot finger guns or have finger guns shot at me, that would be the highest level of companion interaction in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Has anyone confirmed if you can choose "forum goon" as one of your flaws, or will that strictly remain a feature of my real life?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They had me at no romancing companions. That mechanic has always seemed... creepy to me.

I think Witcher 3 is the only one that has done it pretty well, and thats because its part of the narrative and not just shoehorned in

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cooshee
Feb 26, 2015
I'm gonna go with with: gently caress Yeah!

It's probably the last Obsidian game that I'll play before they go winstore UWP exclusive with ms, but it seems like a good swan song

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This game looks good. I'm glad it's not a RtwP even though I like those games.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mr E posted:

This game looks good. I'm glad it's not a RtwP even though I like those games.

RtwP?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Real-time with Pause, like Baldurs Gate/Pillars or other party based RPGs often are.

And I guess you can kinda sorta play the modern Fallouts as RtwP due to VATS.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For all my making GBS threads on Fallout 4 I can't say no to Curie.

Curie in every game forever.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It's about drat time that fallout was on a new engine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Someone brief me what good games have been made on UE4.

The Cryengine gave us Prey and uh... Prey: Mooncrash.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 7, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
  • "Your companions don't have separate inventories. Taking companions with you just gives you more inventory space to work with yourself"

Finally!

And no unlocking minigames!

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Prey was loving amazing. I'm hopeful this will be good too. I'm excited for no voiced protagonist and dumb speech choices, and the flaw system looks pretty interesting too. But we'll see whether the perks are good enough to warrant the trade-off. Game out when? ("2019" is a loooong time.)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

There's dozens or hundreds of games that have been made with Unreal. Recent games on UE4 would be stuff like Hellblade, Life is Strange 2, Tropico 6, Octopath Traveler, XCOM 2 (this might be UE3?), etc etc

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
I don't love the style, all these unreal engined immersive sims look really similar to me and they all seem to be retro-futuristic, which I'm not a huge fan of. The tone reminds me very much of Borderlands, which I also don't like.

But Fallout1/2 & Bloodlines are some of my favourite games so I hope for the best.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
UE4 is like one of the most solid engines to make good poo poo on in fact

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Donovan Trip posted:

Has anyone confirmed if you can choose "forum goon" as one of your flaws, or will that strictly remain a feature of my real life?

Nah, you're thinking of the other dystopian futuristic sci-fi shooter that was shown at the game awards last night: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/12/e3-2018-rage-2-is-full-of-ways-to-murder-goons-with-superpowers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo even uses it sometimes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

eonwe posted:

I think Witcher 3 is the only one that has done it pretty well, and thats because its part of the narrative and not just shoehorned in

I mean even in the Witcher series you are basically playing the walking embodiment of male power fantasy. Pretty much every woman wants to gently caress Geralt. I mean I understand, that ponytail and beard are killer. I am happy they removed romance because if it's done wrong it can just be annoying and creepy. The inclusion also adds almost nothing to the gameplay and every little to the narrative.

Like in Bioware games you can romance a companion and never have them in your party during missions. If they somehow made the romance matter in terms of gameplay or narrative it would have been a much more meaningful instead of wanting to just see some alien rear end.

am0kgonzo posted:

I don't love the style, all these unreal engined immersive sims look really similar to me and they all seem to be retro-futuristic, which I'm not a huge fan of. The tone reminds me very much of Borderlands, which I also don't like.

But Fallout1/2 & Bloodlines are some of my favourite games so I hope for the best.

Ya I don't like the art style that much. It's weird because the gameplay makes the artstyle look a bit more realistic than the trailer and tone of the game is making it look more zany. Anyway those are minor inconveniences.

But like you said Obsidian have made some amazing games. Pretty much any time you give Obsidian a decent budget they deliver even with awful conditions they have had to put with like in New Vegas, they delivered a product superior to BGS.

Hopefully this is a success and Microsoft decides to give them more money + more freedom.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's slowly dawning on me how rad this game is and how much I want to play it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Why isn't this at the top of the OP???

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i guess my biggest fear is its gonna end up being really short or with very few side quests.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess my biggest fear is its gonna end up being really short or with very few side quests.

Have you played Obsidian games before? Their shortest game is probably Alpha Protocol and if this is on the scale of KOTOR or Mass Effect then it'll probably be pretty drat long with loads to do.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Deakul posted:

Have you played Obsidian games before? Their shortest game is probably Alpha Protocol and if this is on the scale of KOTOR or Mass Effect then it'll probably be pretty drat long with loads to do.

I mean Tyranny was clearly cut short (though I think it's really worth playing it's a complete thought) and both Pillars games have problems with petering off after a strong start. It's going to be big as games go but it still might not work.

They've already said it's not as big as New Vegas, and that they're skipping some of the open world stuff. Like the maps in that preview looked like they don't sprawl and are more directed. I'm not against this but yea it's clearly being made within limits and we'll see how that turns out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I already know more about how this game plays and its tone in 12 hours from a trailer and a gameplay demo than I do about Anthem over like 2 years.

Outer Worlds looks really good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

oh i know. its irrational as hell.

AngryBooch posted:

I already know more about how this game plays and its tone in 12 hours from a trailer and a gameplay demo than I do about Anthem over like 2 years.

Outer Worlds looks really good.

yeah, same. i wish i could like anthem but everything about it looks like they are cribbing so hard from bungies writing style(amongst other things) plus none of that even looks good. its hosed.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They had me at no romancing companions. That mechanic has always seemed... creepy to me.

Me too.. Its pandering to the basest of the base.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

They've already said it's not as big as New Vegas, and that they're skipping some of the open world stuff. Like the maps in that preview looked like they don't sprawl and are more directed. I'm not against this but yea it's clearly being made within limits and we'll see how that turns out.

If it does well (it will) they can just sell some DLCs to beef it up. The DLC in New Vegas pretty much doubled the content.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's like the beyond good and evil sequel we never got

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like open worlds in new vegas but I'd be cool if it was effectively level based like mass effect.

Both are good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

Same. I think it's fine in some games if done tastefully, but for the people that want them the romances are always NOT ENOUGH.

I just wanna shoot finger guns or have finger guns shot at me, that would be the highest level of companion interaction in my opinion.

On one hand, Pillars of Eternity 2 has romances.

On the other hand, one of the companions does indeed do a finger gun and it is good.

Obsidian good?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/999784381693677568

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

On one hand, Pillars of Eternity 2 has romances.

On the other hand, one of the companions does indeed do a finger gun and it is good.

Obsidian good?

i could not get into pillars and i really wanted too. they kinda toss you in deep lore wise and i kinda didn't get anything.

i did like tyranny though because it gives you a very long introduction.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like pillars but I really spend a good portion of the game trying to overcome the combat system. It's just so bad that it impedes my enjoyment of the rest of the game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The only good lock picking minigame is from Saw 2: Flesh and Blood, where you're just this loving rocket that flies around mechanisms until you slam into the keyhole and unlock that poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I didn't mind the combat in Pillars, but I don't understand why games like that feel the need to include so many goddamn spells. I don't need ten different spells that do the same thing, just give me a small number of decent, distinct spells and let me play with them. See: Divinity OS

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Divinity: OS is turn based which is just straight better.

The problem with RTwP (real time with pause) is that there are really only 2 possibilities.

1. the game isn't very finely tuned so that you can mostly just tell people to attack and not worry about it. Combat becomes a boring chore because you don't have to think about anything.

2. The game is finely tuned so you CANT mostly just tell people to attack. Combat becomes a tedious chore of micromanaging actions and pausing every few seconds to re-issue commands.

Neither one is fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so do I get to throw my money at a gratuitous crowdfunding campaign yet

if not how soon can i do that

I want to immortalize my dog as a space dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Agent355 posted:

Divinity: OS is turn based which is just straight better.

The problem with RTwP (real time with pause) is that there are really only 2 possibilities.

1. the game isn't very finely tuned so that you can mostly just tell people to attack and not worry about it. Combat becomes a boring chore because you don't have to think about anything.

2. The game is finely tuned so you CANT mostly just tell people to attack. Combat becomes a tedious chore of micromanaging actions and pausing every few seconds to re-issue commands.

Neither one is fun.

I got to the point where I really enjoyed programming the Deadfire AI system, especially with mods, but yeah after a certain point im not sure that still counted as playing the game