Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anno posted:

Yeah that better be a massive discount if you own everything. It looks like a nice remaster, especially with actual gameplay changes, so sure like $5 or something maybe. But seems like a mistake for it not to be a free upgrade for people who own everything already.

$10 on pc if you own everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This isn't that good of a game and a "remaster" of a two-year old game is an absolute cash grab.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Name Change posted:

This isn't that good of a game and a "remaster" of a two-year old game is an absolute cash grab.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

lol you have to buy it again even if you have all the DLC.

If you already the game and DLC you will get a discount. How much remains to be seen. efb

At least they are giving a discount unlike Bethesda with all the rereleases of Skyrim.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

orcane posted:

I originally played the base game on PS4 but never bought the game + DLC edition on PC because, as usual with 2K titles, the sale price has been stuck for years (around $45 for the package, I think?). I wonder what the full price is going to be, with today's convenient ~inflation~ excuse.

Was the DLC any good?

I enjoyed Murder on Eridanos. It's like a whodunnit murder mystery about the murder of a renowned actress. You have to investigate various suspects and look for clues (but there's still things to shoot). Definitely has better writing than the rest of the game.

I don't remember much of Peril of Gorgon other than it being more of the same.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC the game sort of ended on a cliffhanger (oops we lost contact to Earth), did any of the DLC continue the main plot from there or are they all self-contained?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

orcane posted:

IIRC the game sort of ended on a cliffhanger (oops we lost contact to Earth), did any of the DLC continue the main plot from there or are they all self-contained?

I know full sequel has been announced so that plot thread may get picked up there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You need to get the remasters out quick because the remake is only a few years away now they're they're all the rage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MH Knights posted:

So Private Division and Obsidian have announced The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition.

I will wait and see what the enhanced graphics and performance entails. This may get me to play this game finally!

This game is not worth playing regardless of how pretty they make it

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

orcane posted:

The two DLC's are just new side quests on new planets/areas that also raise the level cap. They take around 6-10 hours each to complete.

I remember having to load a save before the point-of-no-return to play both of them so yeah they aren't a continuation of the main plot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MH Knights posted:

I know full sequel has been announced so that plot thread may get picked up there.
Oh I missed they announced the sequel already. Thank you.

E: And yes I actually liked the game well enough so I'm glad it continues (and hope they'll improve the worst aspects).

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 28, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Despite the hate on these forums, OW was a massive success.

There's not a ton of chance the sequel will be a lot better but at best it's not worse and they fix the combat so it's at least either strictly Fallout 3 VATS style or Borderlands style, not some weird mash-up.

Also I want to say the "Where's Earth?" ending plot hook was done 100x better in Techromancer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MH Knights posted:

If you already the game and DLC you will get a discount. How much remains to be seen. efb

At least they are giving a discount unlike Bethesda with all the rereleases of Skyrim.

The equivalent Skyrim patched rerelease was actually free on PC. Todd charged for VR or adding in all the creator club poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

pentyne posted:

Despite the hate on these forums, OW was a massive success.

There's not a ton of chance the sequel will be a lot better but at best it's not worse and they fix the combat so it's at least either strictly Fallout 3 VATS style or Borderlands style, not some weird mash-up.

Also I want to say the "Where's Earth?" ending plot hook was done 100x better in Techromancer.

I wonder about that. It really had no significant cultural impact, and it didn't make the sales charts very well. Hell, the DragonBall Z fighting game outsold it by a significant margin. Ghost of Tsushima had a lifetime sales number twice as high and even that wasn't a Big Bethesda Game.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

The equivalent Skyrim patched rerelease was actually free on PC. Todd charged for VR or adding in all the creator club poo poo.

Think the Skyrim patched rerelease for PC also included a few creator club things for free like the fishing thing, which was nice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MH Knights posted:

Skyrim re-release was like James Cameron doing a re-run of Titanic

Outer Worlds re-release is like the relaunch of Morbius

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Honestly, Outer Worlds, at launch, had perfectly good graphics, textures, and all that part. The engine and art direction wasn't the issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Skyrim re-release was like James Cameron doing a re-run of Titanic

Outer Worlds re-release is like the relaunch of Morbius

That’s overstating Skyrim’s quality and somehow understating Outer Worlds.

Or maybe you have a lower opinion of Titanic and higher opinion of Morbius than I do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s overstating Skyrim’s quality and somehow understating Outer Worlds.

Or maybe you have a lower opinion of Titanic and higher opinion of Morbius than I do.
It's not as much about quality as it is about relative popularity

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
When it first came out, OW released on the previous generation of consoles. This is them releasing it for current gen and upscaling it a little, because why not. You goofballs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is why console generations are dumb and people should just buy a PC

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Megazver posted:

This is them releasing it for current gen and upscaling it a little, because why not.

Because the graphics weren’t the problem, the problem was the game itself sucks and no amount of 8k ray traced blast processing is going to make it worth picking up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think that’s just not the majority opinion. People by and large really liked the game and would love to see better graphics on their new console. And apparently they took some time to do some gameplay changes to boot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It ended up being aggressively mediocre, but ultimately I still enjoyed playing it. Hopefully they manage to shore up its weak points in the sequel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Megazver posted:

It ended up being aggressively mediocre, but ultimately I still enjoyed playing it. Hopefully they manage to shore up its weak points in the sequel.

I didn't mind the levels I had with it but they really need to do a balancing pass over it if they decide to go for a sequel. The game basically ended for me when I picked up a mk 2 version of the basic assault rifle and my damage output instantly tripled, which made every combat encounter entirely trivial.

The story was shallow and very Baby's First Corporate Autocracy but for the grand price of Free on the game pass who cares

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, surprised to see all the hate in here. I just thought it felt really small, like they tried to make a Fallout game but only had the budget for 1/4 of the size. I really liked it,
the setting was a lot of fun, I just wanted them to do more with it in basically every direction. Glad to hear they're remastering it, I never went back to play the DLC so I will probably pick it up. Was even hoping to hear Outer Worlds 2 talk when I saw this thread on the front page.

BTW, I thought the twist at the end was more that everyone's gonna starve to death because the food is missing some of the nutrients we need which is only a problem because they can't call Earth to get more of the real stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anno posted:

I think that’s just not the majority opinion. People by and large really liked the game and would love to see better graphics on their new console. And apparently they took some time to do some gameplay changes to boot.

People generally thought it was ok. There are a few people that really love it, but while reviews gave it very high reviews the general consensus was pretty much a shrug. “It’s ok” isn’t a very hot take though…

Rereleasing on the new consoles makes sense, but charging for something like this on PC is very rare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look people wanted New Vegas in space and when Outer Worlds wasn't that people were put out

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Look people wanted New Vegas in space and when Outer Worlds wasn't that people were put out

Maybe if they hadn’t leaned so hard on “We made New Vegas! You loved New Vegas!” in the marketing from the very beginning people wouldn’t have gone in with such expectations

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even without the "this is the return of true fallout, baby" marketing, after a string of great obsidian games that each offered a lot of substance, people just expected... more. It had a distinctly "indie studio's first game" feel.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dont doubt this game made tons of money because it was pretty underbaked and hit all the minimum viable notes necessary for people to buy and recommend it at full price

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

steinrokkan posted:

Even without the "this is the return of true fallout, baby" marketing, after a string of great obsidian games that each offered a lot of substance, people just expected... more. It had a distinctly "indie studio's first game" feel.

Yeah, when I rolled credits I was thinking "Great, they've got their feet under them now and the engine's all good to go, Outer Worlds 2 is gonna be amazing" but then it dropped off the map.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This update feels like a missed opportunity. Game could've used a pass adding minutiae/secrets and lil' sidequests to fill in the largely empty world. I enjoyed most of my time with the game but definitely felt its lack of superfluous shenanigans.

That wasn't my biggest qualm but probably the only one that wouldn't require rethinking certain fundamental design choices.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Maybe if they hadn’t leaned so hard on “We made New Vegas! You loved New Vegas!” in the marketing from the very beginning people wouldn’t have gone in with such expectations

As I recall, them leaning into that consisted entirely of the phrase "from the developer of Fallout New Vegas" in the trailer

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Megazver posted:

It felt to me like they had been planning a few 'polish' passes but it got shoved out the door too early.

Like, when I first arrived on the Groundbreaker, I wandered around for ten minutes trying to get out of the docking bay. Turns out the door you have to click looks so much like a wall I though it was a wall. Sooner or later a beta tester would have gotten stuck and said "hey make that door look like a door ok?" Maybe with lighting or a sign or a welcome mat, or maybe just have NPCs be able to open it.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I played it a few months back, and overall, I thought it was a fun distraction, I definitely didn't feel as if I wasted my time. The combat got terribly repetitive, and I was jonesing on finishing it in the final hours. For me, the ending was going to determine how I'd feel about it, and for me, it completely shined. Being able to skip large parts of the final level due to being helped by factions that I helped through sidequests is so my jam. And I really just liked most of what I got from the ending slides, in particular due to how it incorporated some of the final things you picked on what to do next.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Is this remaster coming to Game Pass or am I going to ignore it entirely

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It was less that and more of the theme of corporate dystopia hellscape-hilarity getting sanded down so aggressively the very first location does a South Park level "both sides" of the striking workers versus the haw shucks corporate boss. It does not improve.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I enjoyed the game well enough, but I definitely regretted buying it full-price at launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ShakeZula posted:

I enjoyed the game well enough, but I definitely regretted buying it full-price at launch

I paid $40 for New Vegas and all the DLC, and I got my money's worth several times over. I paid $30 for Outer Worlds and feel like I was ripped off.