Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

At the very least PoE 2 had some chufty AI you could manage, like you said.

That at least enables you to set your party members to auto and only control your one guy, which feels alot more rewarding because you don't have to constantly micromanage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Then there's Tyranny where they "solved" the frenetic tempo of RTwP combat by giving all actions five minutes long cooldown.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so do I get to throw my money at a gratuitous crowdfunding campaign yet

if not how soon can i do that

I want to immortalize my dog as a space dog

No this has an actual publisher, they don't need your chump change.

However, there will no doubt be a collector's edition with some overwrought garbage you can prominently display as a warning to any romantic partners you might attempt to bring home. Such as the statue of Eothas I have on my shelf.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

God bless us a Gamebryo-style game but without the crappy engine or radiant-quests that clog your pip-boy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The PoE games are the only time I've ever really enjoyed RTwP. For some reason I loved micromanaging all the bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Combat has never been Obsidian's strong suit, however given the history of CRPGs they simply have to hit "not actively terrible" to exceed expectations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

No this has an actual publisher, they don't need your chump change.

However, there will no doubt be a collector's edition with some overwrought garbage you can prominently display as a warning to any romantic partners you might attempt to bring home. Such as the statue of Eothas I have on my shelf.

what if your romantic partner gets you that kinda of overought garbage. like a real replica of the Hounds helmet from GOT.

anyway. id probably get the collectors editon of this. i rarely get them but i love my witcher 3 statue.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what if your romantic partner gets you that kinda of overought garbage. like a real replica of the Hounds helmet from GOT.

anyway. id probably get the collectors editon of this. i rarely get them but i love my witcher 3 statue.

that's called true love and you should cherish it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Combat has never been Obsidian's strong suit, however given the history of CRPGs they simply have to hit "not actively terrible" to exceed expectations.

this looks like its fallout 4 but not clunky and more shootery. id say borderlands, but borderlands have loving terrible shooting/combat in my opinion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I hope that the facial animations aren't finalized yet. Game looks good, but the faces look closer to Deus Ex HR than Witcher 3 on the sliding scale of quality.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope that the facial animations aren't finalized yet. Game looks good, but the faces look closer to Deus Ex HR than Witcher 3 on the sliding scale of quality.

it's absolutely finalized cause they don't have the budget to do that. they look fine, honestly kinda nostalgic and I like the art

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this looks like its fallout 4 but not clunky and more shootery. id say borderlands, but borderlands have loving terrible shooting/combat in my opinion.

The central mechanic here seems to be a VATS like bullet time, that expends more meter when you take an action (like shooting).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I hope this game spearheads the Bring Back Medium Budget Games movement. It lookscool and fun as poo poo and has shot to the top of my must play in 2019 list. I don't mind the facial animation at all. gently caress, I hope it's worse in the final product just to piss off pedants to care way too much about that sort of thing.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I don't know about this one. I liked most of Obsidian's other games, but the dialogue in that gameplay video is kind of rubbing me the wrong way. I feel like all of the lines are kind of silly and jokey but the humor doesn't quite land and just makes the conversations seem weirdly disjointed. I guess I'll just have to wait and see for now.

Also, having low-intelligence dialogue be handled through occasionally having lines with [Dumb] next to them and all the other standard dialogue options still being there, some seemingly contradicting your supposed dumbness, feels kind of...half-assed?

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Also, having low-intelligence dialogue be handled through occasionally having lines with [Dumb] next to them and all the other standard dialogue options still being there, some seemingly contradicting your supposed dumbness, feels kind of...half-assed?

Yes. Don't take this as a defense, but it was that way in the old Fallouts too.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's mostly just supposed to be funny. Like a gimmick run, the 'dumb' option is only there if you have 1 intelligence or w/e. It's just a gag.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
That seems like it would get old about an hour into a playthrough, especially if all of the other options are still there and nothing really changes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The low intelligence runs were never as deep / comprehensive as people make them out to be. They were always just flavor, and inconsistently applied for the most part. So i other words, yeah, something funny to laugh at, not a transformative experience that changes the game.

That seems like it would get old about an hour into a playthrough, especially if all of the other options are still there and nothing really changes.

So exactly like low Int in FO/FO2

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Then it's not for you don't worry about it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think fo2 at least only provided stupid lines if you were really stupid, but like.. its not any easier or harder to do that really. this way just lets people do both options if they have an idiot character

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, the shooting from the gameplay video seemed pretty competent especially when compared to Bethesda's garbage. No janky epileptic animations or ice skating/teleporting enemies, things react to getting hit, fov > 30º, etc

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Arcsquad12 posted:

As long as they're not super jittery like HR was, I won't mind.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I hope this game spearheads the Bring Back Medium Budget Games movement. It lookscool and fun as poo poo and has shot to the top of my must play in 2019 list. I don't mind the facial animation at all. gently caress, I hope it's worse in the final product just to piss off pedants to care way too much about that sort of thing.

i mean the facial animations look fine, they look like a better version of fallout new vegas and its still in alpha and i am sure with the positive reception, 2k will dump even more money into it.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Didn't really enjoy the humor in the trailer but I can deal with that.
Combat and gunplay look bad in the trailer and the 15 min gameplay video. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't feel like giving them a pass for mediocre combat like I did with New Vegas and Alpha Protocol. It's 2018, you can make RPGs that are actually fun to play and it doesn't look like one.
I guess I'll be very cautiously optimistic about this one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that's called true love and you should cherish it

indeed. only thing that sucks, is she isn't into sci-fi, just fantasy stuff and only select fantasy stuff.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Eraflure posted:

Didn't really enjoy the humor in the trailer but I can deal with that.
Combat and gunplay look bad in the trailer and the 15 min gameplay video. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't feel like giving them a pass for mediocre combat like I did with New Vegas and Alpha Protocol. It's 2018, you can make RPGs that are actually fun to play and it doesn't look like one.
I guess I'll be very cautiously optimistic about this one.

I'm generally curious what sort of gunplay you expect? I'm not gonna make excuses for the game, I haven't played it or w/e so who loving knows, but I don't really know what people want from a shooter game like this?

I think asking for a game with as much depth to the shooting as a dedicated shooter like say Doom or Titanfall 2 is asking alot when the shooting is only a portion of the gameplay.

So I'm just wondering what it is that you want? Like explicitly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Spoken like someone who never played as a Malkavian in VTMB. :colbert:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

I'm generally curious what sort of gunplay you expect? I'm not gonna make excuses for the game, I haven't played it or w/e so who loving knows, but I don't really know what people want from a shooter game like this?

I think asking for a game with as much depth to the shooting as a dedicated shooter like say Doom or Titanfall 2 is asking alot when the shooting is only a portion of the gameplay.

So I'm just wondering what it is that you want? Like explicitly.

Odds are something like Cyberpunk is going to set the new standard for RPG shooters going forward, but that probably isn't showing up until a year after this releases.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God bless us a Gamebryo-style game but without the crappy engine or radiant-quests that clog your pip-boy.

There doesn't seem to be 1000 objects in every house that you can pick up, roleplaying a magpie, so it's not really Gamebryo-style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ymgve posted:

There doesn't seem to be 1000 objects in every house that you can pick up, roleplaying a magpie, so it's not really Gamebryo-style.

If anything, the brief glimpse of picking stuff up made me think of Prey. (The similar typeface probably helps)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ok so the team making this has really good credentials, how do I talk myself down from getting too hyped over this

i've been hurt before from Spore and Supreme Commander :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Odds are something like Cyberpunk is going to set the new standard for RPG shooters going forward, but that probably isn't showing up until a year after this releases.

Comparing any rpg to CDPR right now is rather pointless when their last major release set the benchmark for modern RPGs and their next big release looks like it's going for a whole other level with regards to presentation and polish.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

buglord posted:

ok so the team making this has really good credentials, how do I talk myself down from getting too hyped over this

Remember all the past Obsidian / Troika games were flawed. We like to talk about how they got screwed by Valve/ Bethesda contractual clauses, but the undeniable fact is that they have a track record of publishing flawed games regardless of how constrained they are by licensed technology.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

buglord posted:

Let the hype wash over you, fulfill you, sustain you. If the game is not good deal with that then, now is the time for hype.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcsquad12 posted:

Comparing any rpg to CDPR right now is rather pointless when their last major release set the benchmark for modern RPGs and their next big release looks like it's going for a whole other level with regards to presentation and polish.

It set the benchmark for terrible combat?

Because goddamn the Witcher 3 has some jank rear end combat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this looks about as poo poo and jank as new vegas and it doesn't have the fallout name so it's gonna get lots of 6/10s but secretly be game of the year

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Remember all the past Obsidian / Troika games were flawed. We like to talk about how they got screwed by Valve/ Bethesda contractual clauses, but the undeniable fact is that they have a track record of publishing flawed games regardless of how constrained they are by licensed technology.
Vampire bloodlines and AP were two of my favorite RPGS regardless so thinking about them just makes me more hype

welp

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That sure is a hot take.

It has the best combat of all the action RPGs except for the annoying Souls games, which some people like for some reasons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

steinrokkan posted:

That sure is a hot take.

It has the best combat of all the action RPGs except for the annoying Souls games, which some people like for some reasons.

There are like a dozen other ARPGs with way better combat beyond the souls games. Nioh, Metal Gear Revengeance, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, the Arkham games... It's firmly down in Skyrim level poo poo territory.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:chloe: