Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"What in the world kind of thread did I click on???"

Welcome to Nimpize Adventure, a rather extensive and impressive romhack of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time made by Ostrealava02. I'm going to be playing this one to completion (if possible) and seeing just what's possible in the world of OoT romhacking as a result.

The LP is being recorded in a series of livestreams on my Twitch channel. That means that occasionally someone may reference a stream comment that won't be visible on screen, but we tried to keep that to a minimum. We ended up recording a lot at once so we have a decent backlog of videos to get through but once we do I'll probably link the thread to the stream the next time we record.

Permanently joining me on this adventure will be Artix and ChaosArgate. Along the way we'll be joined by a veritable revolving door of guests and other random people that stumble into the voice channels. Get ready for difficult times as I fight against remixed Ocarina maps, invisible wind, Project 64 itself, rudely-placed wallmasters, and my own controller as we make our way through this familiar yet very unknown world.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Post your best sandwiches and get featured in LP history!!

liquidypoo

flarp22

AmiYumi

Faerie Fortune

Artix

Tyty

MarquiseMindfang

Bruceski

Gridlocked

C-Euro

Geemer

Tanz

PureRok

Me

Procrastine

And the baby Dodongo flew off into the sunset, to star in a better game.

ChaosArgate

It is I, the Nut Master of The Pit.

Ramos

I weep for box puzzles.

Procrastine shows us Ganon's true final form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUwYbpzPSMg

ZanzibarHam

Nice.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 5, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Strap in, this is gonna be an adventure.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hell yeah, let's do this. Don't forget to post your favorite sandwich if you're watching along at home.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Looking forward to the craziness that most rom hacks have.

I don't get the favorite sandwich reference but it would have to be either a pastrami, Italian, or prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Gimme a meatball sub all the way. Meatball all day every day!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Bah, this video cuts out right before the craziness starts. Other than trying to enter Jabu Jabu without a sword.

I'm very peticular when it comes to toppings on my sandwhiches. Lettace, tomato, little bit of onion, black olives if available, and ham or turkey. Keep it basic, keep it simple. Don't need dressing masking all the simple flavors and textures.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
y'all are missing out if you don't have a place where you can get a banh mi for like four bucks

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Certainly wasn't expecting to see the Royal Tomb flooded and stuck at the bottom of Zora's Domain! Curious to see how different the rest of the world feels now.

I've always been a fan of the kind of "christmas dinner" sandwiches that've been in shops the last month or so. I think of 'em as being like a preview.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Sorry that the first episode was kind of a dud but I felt like the contents of the second episode should go by themselves. Let's rectify that.

Crow!!! :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I laughed at the music change in the Lost Woods. It helps that Beware the Forest Mushroom's is a decent track all on it's own.

I like my sandwiches with tons of flavor. Tasty white/italian bread with a sheen of mayo, a couple of different bits of meat, a bit of lettuce for roughage, pickles and a bit of and mustard/honey mustard to taste.
I also like making cheese steak sandwiches (especially philly cheese steak whenever I can get the onions right.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, this is... very romhack. That's about all I can say so far.

It looks like it's doing some interesting things, and at very least it actually looks playable. At the same time, all the typical romhack design quirks are in full force: inexplicable area transitions, effective Metroidvania-style upgrade hunting with no explanations (this isn't always a bad thing, but it very often is), random songs that are utterly out of place (Beware the Forest Mushrooms is a great track, but I don't think it fits with OoT music at all), and utter nonsense for a plot if it bothers to have one (made worse by the fact it's using recognisable characters in completely different contexts). Oh, and requiring tricks you'd never use in the base game to get anywhere.

I don't think I'd want to play this based on what I've seen so far, but you've got me curious to see where it goes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I forget if Jabu Jabu undulated like that in the original release, but if so it was significantly less noticable when playing than in the video here

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That was always a thing.

Jabu Jabu first is neat to see outside of a speedrun. I'm interested in seeing where this goes, as I haven't played the hack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Place your bets now for how many sandwiches will be eaten by the time the LP is finished. (and my quest to use the most unflattering frame of Goku in every episode thumbnail continues strongly)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shout-out to my fellow Cubano lovers ITT.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Excuse me sir, please respect the sanctity of the gacha gulch, we only roll for finest PNGs of Dodongos. :colbert:

If you roll that mythical .5% chance, you might even get a gif of one! :buddy:

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 13, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Send help, I’m drowning in Lizalfos gifs

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

This is actually kind of reminding me of Metroid Prime, of all things, and I'm not 100% sure why.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Quantum Toast posted:

This is actually kind of reminding me of Metroid Prime, of all things, and I'm not 100% sure why.

I think it's very metroid-y in general, with it's extreme lack of direction

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So what, exactly, is the point of this game? What are you supposed to be doing?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Obviously, we’re seeking out the world’s greatest sandwich.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ChaosArgate posted:

Obviously, we’re seeking out the world’s greatest sandwich.

Sup
https://youtu.be/hXYoduN0kWs

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Strange Matter posted:

So what, exactly, is the point of this game? What are you supposed to be doing?

Legit answer: We don't really know? One thing that the description for the hack says is that it's demonstrating what's possible in Ocarina modding. The opening cutscene doesn't really say much about what the plot is and all those jump-cuts between scenes don't make much sense. I suspect that maybe the opening cutscene isn't actually that important for plot and was really just there to show that you can totally alter cutscenes and import Majora maps, and things like that. We recorded all the way through Child Link's timeline and as far as I can tell, we're pretty much playing Ocarina's plot with a slight remix of locations and order of events. Maybe that will change as we play further.

So for now we're just enjoying the ride, difficulty spikes and all.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the best sandwich is obviously the hot dog.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
with catsup

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I think it's very metroid-y in general, with it's extreme lack of direction
Now that you mention it, dipping into Jabu-Jabu for the sword and scale and then leaving to go find a boomerang does remind me of the Boost Ball -> Space Jump -> Wave Beam segment.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Based on the videos we've seen so far it's not clear if instituting major changes to the overworld isn't possible or is merely extremely difficult. All these areas seem unchanged but for the exits being different and obstacles added. Given that completely new areas are possible it's going to be a weird ride to see what this engine is capable of.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dodongo's Cavern? More like Don't Go In There Cavern and yet we have no choice so let's get this over with.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I believe you about Young Link not being able to sidehop between the platforms, but would sweet backflips be enough distance?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AweStriker posted:

I believe you about Young Link not being able to sidehop between the platforms, but would sweet backflips be enough distance?
IIRC, sidehops cover the most ground of any of OoT Link's movement methods. Backflips are better for height, but don't go the distance horizontally.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Wait, what?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Am I wrong? I'll admit I'm not the Zelda nerd that Argate and Artix are, but I thought that sidehops were officially the fastest method of movement in OoT, and that you used backflips for height, not distance.

Or is that in reference to something else?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm more confused over the fact that there's a hack of this game. I was under the impression that N64 games (and the N64 in general) were held together with thoughts, prayers, and unicorn tears shed during a double rainbow with a full moon so I'd think hacking would be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Commander Keene posted:

Am I wrong? I'll admit I'm not the Zelda nerd that Argate and Artix are, but I thought that sidehops were officially the fastest method of movement in OoT, and that you used backflips for height, not distance.

Or is that in reference to something else?

Frame-perfect side hops are the fastest way of moving period, but are unsustainable for obvious reasons outside of a TAS, which is why backwalking is used instead. Distance-wise, I don't know the difference between a sidehop and a backflip but either way it isn't enough to clear those gaps, maybe outside of some extremely precise and specific positions which is frankly not warranted when the alternative is a quarter heart when you're being attacked by Gerudo thieves.

E: Also yes, backflips are used for gaining height, especially with hovering since Link has no way of directly gaining vertical height outside of a ground jump (which requires speedrun shenanigans, it's basically a couple frames earlier than doing a superslide).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm more confused over the fact that there's a hack of this game. I was under the impression that N64 games (and the N64 in general) were held together with thoughts, prayers, and unicorn tears shed during a double rainbow with a full moon so I'd think hacking would be a lot more trouble than it's worth.
I mean, Ocarina is such a widely-adored game that even if you needed multiple PHDs and a month of work just to change one letter of the game's script, somebody would have put in the effort.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 14, 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
how obnoxious would it have been if the gerudo thieves still beat you and threw you into some really deep jail cell if they landed their spin attack on you

without a hookshot

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You know I wouldn't have expected the Gerudo guard depository point to be an adjustable option. That's kind of legit neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Strange Matter posted:

You know I wouldn't have expected the Gerudo guard depository point to be an adjustable option. That's kind of legit neat.

It is, but when you consider how annoying the dungeon is to traverse compared to normal it makes it less neat. Also as I said in the video I figured I had to defeat them to get out of the room so i tried fighting. That was not fun.

I really like the idea that Darunia just came home one day and found his whole cave city rearranged without his permission.