Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This thread is to celebrate the best games you played this year. :siren: The games don't have to have a 2018 release date, just whatever you happened to play in 2018. :siren: If you choose to, you can award a game your personal Impy 2018!

Here are mine (in no particular order):

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - My Impy 2018 winner. DQ is one of my all time favorite franchises, so it had a lot to live up to. Not only did it meet my expectations it blew them out of my own rear end with a plasma sniper rifle. There is no best party since each member is useful, so you can experiment and switch it up on the fly. Story was surprisingly feelsy, but done in the correct way. Monster designs are out of this world. Sylvando owns. After I platted it I wanted to start a new file immediately but decided to start on my 3ds backlog instead. I will be playing this again in 2019 for sure.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I tried playing the first Witcher back in 2008 and thought it sucked rear end. Every few years I tried getting back into the series and failed each time. I bought W3 a few years ago and the same thing happened. But then earlier this year I finally got sucked into the world of monsters, magic, and slavic yugioh and it became one of my favorite games of all time. The combat took some getting used to & it's not great, but the story and characters hooked me to keep going for all 150 hours. The DLC actually feels like Expansion Packs of the 90s and not the lovely modern diarrhea crapped out of a fat bears rear end. I played this game exclusively for like 3 months.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan - Similar to the Witcher, I bought this years ago and couldn't get into it. Something clicked this time tho and it was fantastic. I've never played a game with this level of character customization before so it was a little intimidating wondering if I was loving up my party or whatever. After some tweaks I landed on a team that could wipe the floor with any random encounter and teabag any FOE within eyeshot. That doesn't mean getting to that point was easy tho, this game is hard as balls. I failed a lot but picked myself back up and got back to work, since as a gamer I choose to have many lives instead of just one.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - After EO4, this game is pretty easy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's been a very long time since I've played anything P3/P4 related so this game is like coming home for the holidays and min/maxing the comfy blanket while chillaxing. The music is insanely good. I haven't even finished it yet but it's easily on my list. I bumped the difficulty up to keep things spicy and I'm enjoying revisiting all my favorite shadow killing Japanese teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Demon Souls was the best game I played this year but it's on PS3 which is a pain in the rear end to capture and keep plugged in these days so I barely played any of it. In second place would be MGS1, which I played for the first time as well. Third place is probably Path of Exile, or Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played like 10 games this year.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My 2018 Impy easily goes to Yakuza 0. It was my introduction to the series that I’m now completely obsessed with

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Best Ongoing Game

Boom, headshot! Once again the winner of this category is a little game called Counter Strike. Valve continues their tradition of regular AIDS injections with the latest battle royale with cheese update but the core game remains sound which lets me ignore the fact everyone that plays this game now thinks they're going to go pro and make some serious coin. Heres to 2019 CS! :cheerdoge:

The Bob Number 3's Indie Gaming Treasure Award

I haven't played many indie treasures this year and definitely no new ones but I did beat and thoroughly enjoy Guacamelee so congratulations on winning by default. I know i'm late to the party on this one but it has tight combat and the challenge stages were some good platforming, I'm looking forward to playing 2 in 5 years.

Console of they Year

Once again the supreme winner of this category is the Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom. This console does it all, what a range of games available and all presented with eye popping graphics. I can't see myself needing another console for a long time.

Best Action Game

This category was a tight contest, Demon's Crest blew my mind earlier in the year but the final award is going to have to go to Cybernator. You truly feel like you're piloting a mech, every action feels deliberate but not clunky, tight well paced action with interesting levels that use but the full vertical and horizontal space. Definitely recommended for all those mech heads out there.

Best RPG

A tight category this year, but this years winner is Terranigma. Action, adventure, mystery and more. This game has it all and it's possibly my biggest surprise of 2018, beautiful artwork and a story that sticks with you long after you're done. This game should be on everyone's must play list.

And now the big one...

Game of the Year

I'd like to think it was a tight contest but really for pure impact no other game has come close, that's why I think we can all agree the Best Game of 2018 is clearly......

Congratulations to all the winners, and to all the losers: better luck next year!

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Best New Game: Dragon Quest XI by far. Honorable mentions to Yakuza Kiwami 2 and RDR 2 which I wasn't really interested in but ended up being pretty good.

Best Old Game: Alundra

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dragon Quest Builders - Excellent base builder and minecraft-like with all of the Dragon Quest Charm and its soundtrack.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Loved it so much, best game in the series, although frustratingly difficult sometimes.
Bloodstained - The indie metroidvania that actually succeeded.
Final Fantasy X-2 - I love to grind the stupid dresspheres.
Kingdom Come Deliverance - Slav Simulator 2018, janky but lovable

Mobage Gacha Psychopath Honorable Mention: Dragalia Lost It's a fun game with very nice music and while the online servers and structure are really loving shoddy (makes sense since it's by Nintendo), it has actual fun gameplay.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 11, 2018

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my Impy goes to Dragon Quest XI as well. It felt like an ultimate culmination of jrpg game design, with fantastic art, a traditional but strongly told story with a lot of great moments that kept me going, rock-solid dragonquest gameplay that borrows elements from other titles and blends it all together for the best of all worlds with all the fat trimmed, everything about the game is just amazing and immaculately executed. When I beat it I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I started another file on hard mode and got in pretty deep but decided to save the rest for another time. Godly title that blew everything else out of the water, even DQ8 which I thought could never happen. everyone needs to experience this game

the runner-up prize goes to Monster Hunter World, spent a lot of long nights with my friends hunting mons and even if it fumbled here and there it's easily the best MH, they made countless tweaks and fixes for all the annoying stuff in old mh and it focuses on the meat (fighting awesome bosses), it's gorgeous, lovingly detailed, and a really hard turning point for Capcom who went through a bit of a dark age. with the constant updates and coming expac I'll still be playing this for a long time.

overall a strong year for gaming. I can immediately tell that the new Smash is the greatest smash has ever been and I'll be playing it for years, RDR2 was awesome, path of exile and hollow knight and other games I go back to got really great content updates, its a great time to be a gamer.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Both of the Monster Hunter games are tied for my GOTY, but huge gamer props to the exquisite Hollow Knight. I wish more games were like it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
tatsujin became my favorite shmup and one of my favorite arcade games ever this year. dqxi became my favorite jrpg, though its a genre im not super familiar with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This was the year of Hunting for me. I had tried to play a PSP MH before, and I got mildly into MH4U for like 10 or 15 hours but I could never handle the 3DS controls. In the last 4 months I've now played 300+ hours between MHW and MHGU and still play almost every day. Hell after losing multiple weekends in a row to MHGU I thought I was done with world until the inevitable expansion, but the Winter Event got me to reinstall and reminded me how dope it was so I've gone back to playing it every day. I love monster hunter.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hells yes boys, it's impy time!!! Been waiting for this since last year, where I failed to gain any interest with my Impy thread, which was actually my idea to do in the first place. :negative: No hard feelings doe. This year I gotta give my GOTY to Monster Hunter World..

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Didn’t play many new games this year.

DragonQyest is best new game award *audience applause *

Best indie game is Into the Breach *audienxe applause again, everyone getting really excited for the big award*.

And best game of game I should played like a decade ago goes to.... Blops 1! Blops 1!!!!!!*developers crying everywhere, tears of joy. Audience nodding in agreement. Shot of George Clooney nodding*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Hells yes boys, it's impy time!!! Been waiting for this since last year, where I failed to gain any interest with my Impy thread, which was actually my idea to do in the first place. :negative: No hard feelings doe. This year I gotta give my GOTY to Monster Hunter World..

I award the Special Snowflake impy to net cafe scandal for This Post

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

*trying to hide my satisfaction at receiving any type of reward* Hey, gently caress off haha. Am not.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

played a lot of games this year but i have to say it's a tie between God of War (2018) and Marvel's Spider-Man

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gotta go with The Witcher 3. I couldn't keep myself into it when I tried it before but I've spent all week playing it and haven't even found Dandelion yet

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I gotta go with The Witcher 3. I couldn't keep myself into it when I tried it before but I've spent all week playing it and haven't even found Dandelion yet

Uh...Yeah...

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

played a lot of games this year but i have to say it's a tie between God of War (2018) and Marvel's Spider-Man

its this. everyone eleses opinion is cucked the gently caress ot and i wont even read all these lengthy rear end posts about whatever inane bullshit they thought about some japanese game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Uh...Yeah...

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My public GOTY is Monster Hunter World which finally managed to modernize itself and remove a lot of the pain in the rear end bullshit the previous games used. Cutting the fat off the more tedious aspects of the game really allowed the polished core gameplay to shine. There are few more satisfying moments in gaming than capturing a dickhead monster after a 20 minute, 2-cart struggle with your friends. That they’re continuing to add content nearly a year after release is some real good poo poo.

My private, shameful GOTY is Pro Evolution Soccer 2018/2019 and honestly, I became a soccer fan about 13 months ago for reasons I can’t even explain. It just sort of happened. I picked up PES 18 on sale last spring, and since then I’ve put more time into this franchise than all other games combined this year. I can’t explain it. I’m still godawful at the game after nearly 600 hours. I routinely get mad and yell at myself for being a suck rear end loser while i’m playing. I rarely have fun with it, yet I can not stop. Hours of being pissed can come undone watching the ball hit the back of the net. All this time sunk, and the simple goal of the sport drops a dopamine rush every time. I’m waiting for the point where I don’t want to play the game any more, but that hasn’t happened yet.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

HORMELCHILI posted:

its this. everyone eleses opinion is cucked the gently caress ot and i wont even read all these lengthy rear end posts about whatever inane bullshit they thought about some japanese game

lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

spb posted:

Didn’t play many new games this year.

DragonQyest is best new game award *audience applause *

Best indie game is Into the Breach *audienxe applause again, everyone getting really excited for the big award*.

And best game of game I should played like a decade ago goes to.... Blops 1! Blops 1!!!!!!*developers crying everywhere, tears of joy. Audience nodding in agreement. Shot of George Clooney nodding*

it was a bad year for fps games, but luckily blops 1 will always be awesome. gun game, sticks and stones, the other one... all godly. old cool guns ftw as well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My GOTYs have to be:

Dragon Quest XI - Just an incredibly fun JRPG, great characters, fun gameplay, good story with some surprisingly touching moments. I'm not done with the postgame yet but it's a godlike game overall

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I had played like an hour or so of this before but never got really into it until the IZ challenge earlier this year when I did both Alucard and Richter all bosses. Just an amazing game, honestly one of the best I've ever played.

Super Mario Odyssey - I finally got a Switch this year and this was just an utter joy to play through the whole time. I loved Super Mario 3D World but it was awesome to go back to the big open levels from 64/Sunshine.

Yakuza (series) - I started Yakuza 0 last year but didn't beat it until this year and then mainlined Kiwami 1 and 2 when they came out. Absolutely one of my favorite series now and I just wish Sega would announce the loving remasters

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - I never really played any VNs before but once I started Ace Attorney 1 I was hooked. Despite a couple of low points (the loving circus case in Justice for All) it was an awesome experience overall

Prey - I was shocked at how much I got into this game since I never really got into "immersive sim" kinda games, but I loved it

Honorable mentions:

Celeste - The best Indie Treasure I played this year, amazing platformer with cool mechanics and a very relatable story

SOMA - I usually get too scared by spooky games but SOMA was a really gripping experience

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I'm counting this as an honorable mention only because I played most of it before 2018 but picked it up again and beat it this year. Fantastic Zelda game

Final Fantasy X - Also counting this as an honorable mention just because I've played and beaten it a few times since the original PS2 release, but I did another playthrough this year and it really holds up, might have my favorite battle system of a mainline FF game

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

it was a bad year for fps games, but luckily blops 1 will always be awesome. gun game, sticks and stones, the other one... all godly. old cool guns ftw as well

Cranking the difficulty down to Easy and gunning down Charlies ftw

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Didn't play too many games this year but what I did play was really good.

I played through Resident Evil for the first time on the PS4 and loved it. I hadn't played any survival horror games up until that point aside from maybe an hour of RE4 at a friend's house so it was still a really novel experience for me and has left me wanting to eventually play the PS1 version too.

I played way too much of Breath of the Wild and basically did everything I could in that game aside from collecting all of the korok seeds. The last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess on the GameCube, so I was really happy to see one of my favorite series holding my interest again. The writing in this game was some of my favorite from recent memory and the exploration just felt too good. Playing dress up for 200 hours was also good.

I also played Fallout again, and I actually finished it this time. I can't decide if I wanna give Fallout 2 another shot or if I want to finally try New Vegas but that's what I plan to play next.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i played abunch of b-list jrpgs this year and really enjoyed almost all of them. thank you

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

i played abunch of b-list jrpgs this year and really enjoyed almost all of them. thank you

Post the list

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tales of Woe posted:

jrpgs are comfy even if they arent great

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

all the trails in the sky/trails of cold steel games that are in english, ys 8, tales of berseria, valkyria chronicles if that counts as a jrpg. octopath traveler. ni no kuni 2 though i didn't like that one enough to finish it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should play Ys 8 in English so I can skip all the story on purpose instead of just bc I can't read it

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
my impy goes to red dead redemption 2 because, among many reasons, i got to go out on a lake and fish with my homies, and we rowed and sang songs as the sun set

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I played Into the breach, hyper light drifter, dead cells, overwatch, dark souls, bloodborne, smash ultimate, everspace, ftl

They were all good so I give them all an impy for "good game"

the Big Impy™ of course goes to the classic "Kramer's Epic Quest for Hentai" the best flash game on newgeounds starring Seinfeld's own Mr. kramer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kull the Conqueror posted:

my impy goes to red dead redemption 2 because, among many reasons, i got to go out on a lake and fish with my homies, and we rowed and sang songs as the sun set

Check out Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV for PSVR

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The Shampys 2018

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The Shampys 2018

Overall I give red dead 2 4 broken windows out of 5, with a hairline skull fracture.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my Grand Shampy this year goes to Girl Talk’s “Smash your head” off of the sublime Night Ripper. To hear Lil Wayne so seamlessly blended with Nirvana truly took me out of my comfort zone and into a truly new place. to say it sent me into a blind fugue, as i have done so in court SUCCESSFULLY, well i’ll let you the listener be the judge. But its relevancy to the new smash game, and to my oval office girlfriend’s CONSTANT FUCKI.. erm. Well that;s my grand shampy thank you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

Check out Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV for PSVR

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The Shampys 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

my Grand Shampy this year goes to Girl Talk’s “Smash your head” off of the sublime Night Ripper. To hear Lil Wayne so seamlessly blended with Nirvana truly took me out of my comfort zone and into a truly new place. to say it sent me into a blind fugue, as i have done so in court SUCCESSFULLY, well i’ll let you the listener be the judge. But its relevancy to the new smash game, and to my oval office girlfriend’s CONSTANT FUCKI.. erm. Well that;s my grand shampy thank you