Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bolverkur posted:

IMPY of the Year 2018: Dragon Quest XI and Monster Hunter World were both games I had been eagerly watching for years, as they both belong to game series I really love. Both games exceeded the considerable hype I had for them. They are god drat treasures and we are blessed to have them in our gaming lives.

IMPY of the Comfy 2018: Comfy game of the year is tied between Final Fantasy XV, which I've put dozens of hours into but not completed the main story, it's just so fun and relaxing to do the sidequests, and the MMO Final Fantasy XIV. It's just so god drat nice to grind, fish, listen to the music, take in the environments (La Noscea wins personal favorite). I never feel like I have to hurry up or catch up to the max level. I just have to enjoy. Honestly, a feeling I rarely have in MMOs and it's so god drat nice.

IMPY of the Pick Up And Play 2018: Into the Breach is such a great game to pick up for 10 minutes of gameplay, it's so elegantly basic but simultaneously complex with its tactics. Plus it has mechs vs kaijus, a theme I personally love. It would be rad if we'd see a great Godzilla game in the next few years, with the movie out next year, or just great kaiju-themed games like Into the Breach.

IMPY of the Classic 2018: Parasite Eve was my fave new classic game I played this year. Thank you, Imp Zone. It's incredibly good and short and should be checked out by every Imp who hasn't already. Honorable mention to Final Fantasy Tactics, which I only recently started playing for the first time (don't shame). It can't really contend this year, since I've only so recently started. My only problem is that I can't decide if I should play the original or the PSP remake.

Play the original FFT, not the War of the Lions translation. 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love the janky PS1 translation but it makes the plot nigh incomprehensible. The only complaint I have about the PSP version is the slowdown poo poo and honestly I think the mobile one fixed it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plutonis posted:

I love the janky PS1 translation but its nigh incomprehensible compared to the War of the Lions one. The only complaint I have about the PSP version is the slowdown poo poo and honestly I think the mobile one fixed it?

I don't think it did actually but there's a patch for the PSP version that removes the slowdown iirc.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the psx translation is trash and war of the lions is a lot better. you can get a patched rom that fixes the spell slowdown in the psp version. goonbye

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I played it on my iPhone Xs Max :pipedog::chord:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

Im glad lots of ppl ended up trying and liking Into the Breach

same

HolePisser1982 posted:

I think that was my favorite soundtrack of the year

gotta give the soundtrack impy to hyper light drifter personally

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Please post examples for soundtrack of the year category

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

spb posted:

Shadow of the colossus remake

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

spb posted:

smash ultimate is the clear winner here

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think spb meant examples of the music in consideration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA5Xuc4-a4

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

spb posted:

Bruh.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh hell yeah. epic list incoming!!!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
smash ultimate probably wins best soundtrack by containing every other game series’ music

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

spb posted:

its the jungle radio station from fartza four borizons and uh idk. celeste. for sjws only. ONLY true SJWS who got PISSED at racist indian game and watch man from smash. oh yeah and the monster boy soundtrack is nice. OH DOUBLE yeah lumines remastered HELL YEAH

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Soundtrack of the year is the Splatoon 2 octo expansion announcement trailer song

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Morrowind theme sweeps the Impy award for best soundtrack for the 16th year in a row. Congratulations to Jeremy Soule and the whole Bethesda team!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
online game i like that isnt csgo: Puyo Puyo Tetris. its tetris.

Best tetris: Tetris gRandmaster 3

best puzzle game: Stephens sausage roll

Best Game Overall: REmake or AM2R?

Best Metroid game I palyed this year: AM2R]/b]

Best Arcade: [b]Nex Machina

Best music based game: Lumines

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

ArfJason posted:

online game i like that isnt csgo: Puyo Puyo Tetris. its tetris.

Best tetris: Tetris gRandmaster 3

best puzzle game: Stephens sausage roll

Best Game Overall: REmake or AM2R?

Best Metroid game I palyed this year: AM2R]/b]

Best Arcade: [b]Nex Machina

Best music based game: Lumines

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't play many video games for a guy that posts a lot on an internet video game forum but one of the few new games I played this year that I really enjoyed was Yoku's Island Express. It's like a weird mix of pinball and classic map exploration games and the visual style and overall polish of the release made me really like it.

I don't really remember playing any other games that would not have previously been mentioned in this thread. Goodbye.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yoku's island express is v good yeah. 2nd best indie platformer this year after celeste

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

7-C is too hard.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i didn't finish all of those

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

7-C is too hard.

maybe thisll help

https://twitter.com/elfbot/status/967658983468208128

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Best charity marathon of the year once again goes to Zeldathon! Congratz guys.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i need to buy it again on steam or find a dongle that lets me sync a ds 4 to a switch. BUT i did clear everything up thru 6-c in handheld mode so m aybe i can do it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Joycon are great for Celeste.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
note at the end of that video, id been playing that level so long i forgot about climbing and jumped off of the final wall

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

note at the end of that video, id been playing that level so long i forgot about climbing and jumped off of the final wall

The Merciful Elf Butt.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Joycon are great for Celeste.

they're trash

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the analog stick is better than the stupid seperated dapda

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Dpad on the pro controller is also trash. I did like using the joycon analog stick for USF2, believe it or not.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

miyamoto is actively trying to des troy gunpei yokoi's legacy because he's responsible for nintendo success, even tho shiggy already murdered him in cold blod.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You're wrong old man.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull posted:

The Merciful Elf Butt.

Edit: Thought this was about the Smash Guest Finals lmao. Wrong thread.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I played all of celeste in handheld mode but doing diagonals on joycons sucks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
They're fine for platformers that don't need diagonal like The End Is Nigh though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're great. Hitbox much? Been over this before.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you joycon shitters-on might not know this, but you can actually use each one as a separate controller. you can play co-op games with friends! isn't it cool to just pull out your switch and be able to play a game with someone who cares about you?... Oh wait, never mind.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

you joycon shitters-on might not know this, but you can actually use each one as a separate controller. you can play co-op games with friends! isn't it cool to just pull out your switch and be able to play a game with someone who cares about you?... Oh wait, never mind.

You still have to use 4 lovely buttons instead of a real dpad you stipud loving dago wop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mysterious loyall X posted:

You still have to use 4 lovely buttons instead of a real dpad you stipud loving dago wop
:wtc: