Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

You still have to use 4 lovely buttons instead of a real dpad you stipud loving dago wop

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Im screaming like john Goodman in the climax of Barton funk except its about dpads insteas of the life of the mind

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barton Funk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Im screaming like john Goodman in the climax of Barton funk except its about dpads insteas of the life of the mind

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shiggy’s ultimate revenge: Faking Gunpei’s death and keeping him locked in a hotel room for 20+ years, tricking him into playing through Metroid with the joycon dpad buttons

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the phone let me spell dago wop but not fink. fuuuu

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Shiggy’s ultimate revenge: Faking Gunpei’s death and keeping him locked in a hotel room for 20+ years, tricking him into playing through Metroid with the joycon dpad buttons

lol

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My nominee for the Bob's Indie Treasure Future Memorial Award goes to Rimworld, the early access game that reached 1.0 this year. Its like a Dwarf Fortress with gameplay and a UI that can be used. Check it out if you like colony sims.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You still have to use 4 lovely buttons instead of a real dpad you stipud loving dago wop

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Average Bear posted:

My nominee for the Bob's Indie Treasure Future Memorial Award goes to Rimworld, the early access game that reached 1.0 this year. Its like a Dwarf Fortress with gameplay and a UI that can be used. Check it out if you like colony sims.

looks cool but ill wait for this one to go on sale

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

looks cool but ill wait for this one to go on sale

I don't think it's ever gone on sale, although if 1.0 just dropped maybe it will.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

I don't think it's ever gone on sale, although if 1.0 just dropped maybe it will.

its too much for an indie, despite how much of a treasure it may be

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

its too much for an indie, despite how much of a treasure it may be

You'll get no argument from me. I eventually bought it because I originally pirated it and put at least a hundred hours into it. Once I bought it though I think I played it for maybe like 2 more hours

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

same

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Rinworld is cool and yoy can call it a very offensive name for game

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Rinworld is cool and yoy can call it a very offensive name for game

[adjusting my headset] We firing up N****RWORLD?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
En route to the Dago-wop system

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

[adjusting my headset] We firing up N****RWORLD?

Lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lumpy the Cook posted:

lol yoda lives there

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The Gabagool system

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My Impys: Will also be including a great music track from each game.

La-Mulana 2 - This game was several years in the making, and it kind of felt like it was never coming out. But it was well worth the wait when it finally did. There's really nothing else like these games, massive 2d platformers filled to the brim with tough puzzles, great bosses and cool mythology. This is a game where Gamer Notes are more or less required. If there was any series I could completely erase my memory of, it would be La-Mulana, because I think I had more fun unraveling the mystery of this game than any other game I've played recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VomTmPpmi48 - Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum theme

Kirby Star Allies - Kirby Star Allies was rather light on content when it was first released earlier this year, but now that all of the free DLC is out this game is a contender for my favorite Kirby game ever. I'm still playing it to this day. It has 38 characters, all with unique movesets and levels based around their abilities. The real meat of this game is the amazing boss rush that was recently updated to add a 9th difficulty level. It's great as a game to pick up and play every once and a while for an hour or two, and I have a fun experience every time I do. Not much else to say, I really love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPAh2ySGNU - Astral Birth Void's theme

Sonic Mania Plus - What can I say? They made the best Sonic game even better. If you liked Sonic Mania at all then getting the expansion should be a priority. Encore Mode adds a fresh new spin to the levels, and Ray is up there with Plague and Specter Knight as one of the most fun 2D platformer characters to play as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDsYhs_s_o - Metallic Madness Zone, Act 1

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Easily the best co-op game I played this year. Great turn based strategic combat, more quests than we could possibly discover in 1 playthrough and different story elements based on which characters you're using make this a game I will definitely go back to. Even if it is like 80 hours long. It's a nice and chill game to play with your friends until you get to a tough fight, at which point it becomes a great discussion of how to use everyone's abilities to get through. I can't wait to go through again on Tactician mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9UHp8VKcs - Divine's Lament

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I haven't even played Red Dead Redemption 1, but so many people were hyping this game up here that I impulse bought it. This is one of the most immersive worlds in a game to date, I think. If you're the kind of person who can just get lost in a game world and explore doing nothing in particular for hours at a time, you'll love this game. I am definitely that kind of person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArT03ssRbtk - Manor Battle

Honorable mentions go to DOOM 2016, Yakuza 6, Gargoyle's Quest II, Monster Hunter World and Pharaoh's Rebirth+. And I'm probably going to end up playing Smash Ultimate for 1000 hours.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 19, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Encore Mode adds a fresh new spin to the levels,

Nice

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i gotta play mulana 2 at some point

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Best Indie Treasure: Celeste
Best AAA Release: Monster Hunter World
Best Game That Didn't Come Out This Year But I Hadn't Played It Before: Hitman 2016
Game That I'll Play The Most: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

I also very much enjoyed Super Mario Odyssey, Into the Breach, and A Hat in Time. I've been playing Dark Souls 2 on and off, which is also good, and I played the DS3 DLCs for the first time which I mostly enjoyed.

I don't know if there was anything particularly bad I played this year. I tried Witcher 3 again but still found it a struggle to get into, it just doesn't gel for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Best series: Gotta give it to Yakuza. I had never played the games before but I picked up 0 and spent like 3 weeks doing nothing but playing 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 back to back to back. I'm bad about dropping games partway through and not beating them and marathoning a series like that is unprecedented for me. Can't wait for the ports of 3-5!

Favorite game I played: I think this is Neir: Automata. Again, like Yakuza, this game put me in a fugue state where I could not stop playing or thinking about it until I saw it through. The experience gave me a renewed pride in being a gamer.

Chillest game: Dragon Quest XI. It wins bonus points for being both Chill and Epic at the same time -- some of the best "____ and coffee" saturday morning gaming I've ever done

Best content creator: Skylark's 15 year old Roblox boyfriend with a dual-purpose tombstone in his Roblox house backyard dedicated to his deceased grandfather and Xxxtentacion.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

Best content creator: Skylark's 15 year old Roblox boyfriend with a dual-purpose tombstone in his Roblox house backyard dedicated to his deceased grandfather and Xxxtentacion.

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2nd place is the guy who squat's in Wormskull's chat every single night begging him to play Wii Fit Trainer for hours on end.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I liked when the 13 year old dunked on worm in rec room

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Young Synthy was my favorite as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

spb posted:

I liked when the 13 year old dunked on worm in rec room
https://www.twitch.tv/wormskull/clip/CleverBillowingWalletMrDestructoid