Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Looking for a vacation that takes you to exotic countries? A tropical getaway? Maybe the fjords or glaciers? Desire the ability to stuff your face with unlimited food and drink? Want to party all night long and not worry about getting back to your hotel? Looking for offshore gambling and tax-free shopping? Or maybe you want some quality time with your family? Just want to sit by a pool with a frozen drink? Or do you fancy yourself and explorer looking for adventure on the high seas? Cruising may be for you!

Cruise vacations have exploded in popularity over the past few decades and so have the number of cruise lines. More than 27 million people are expected to cruise in 2018 with one of over 50 cruise lines and 500 ships. There is something for everyone these days whether you want a short booze cruise around the Caribbean or a ulta-luxury tour of the Mediterranean.

Ok, great! Where do I start?

Generally when you start looking for a cruise you want to decide if the Destination or the Ship/Cruise line is more important to you.

Cruise Destinations

The Caribbean

More than a third of all worldwide cruising takes place in the Caribbean. It offers a huge variety of island destinations and is warm year-round. The Caribbean is also easily accessible for most Americans as most ships will be departing from Florida, Texas, New York, or Alabama. Thanks to the number of ships there is a lot of competition and lots of deals can be found especially during the June-November hurricane season (buy travel insurance). Both short and long duration cruises can be found here and no matter if you want a party or an adventure there is something for everyone. Typically a cruise will either be to the Western or Eastern Caribbean with 2-4 stops at different ports and if you cruise a major line you will likely get a day at one of their private islands. A cruise is also one of the few easy ways for Americans to visit Cuba.

Popular ports of call:
The ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao)
Bahamas
Belize
Cozumel
Grand Cayman
Havana
Honduras
Jamaica
Key West
Puerto Rico
St. Maarten/St. Martin
Turks and Caicos
The Virgin Islands

The Mediterranean

The second most popular cruising region for similar reasons as the Caribbean (warm and close to most Europeans). The major tourist hotspots all make appearances here although if you are doing a cruise to see places like Rome or Athens you may not be able to fully experience these cities in the few short hours you have in each port. But you can balance a warm weather vacation where you don’t have to worry about travel between cities with your desire to see some of the most ancient cities in the western world.

Popular ports of call:
Athens
Barcelona
Florence
Istanbul
Israel
Marseille
Naples
Rome
Santorini
Venice

Northern Europe

While not as warm, the northern European ports are just as popular destinations for cruisers. Discover the United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Scandinavia, Russia, France, Portugal, even Iceland or Greenland! Europe is also where you will find many of the increasingly popular river cruises. These small ships travel the the many inland waterways of Europe and get you to more places that the big ocean ships cannot go.

Popular ports of call:
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Dublin
Helsinki
Lisbon
Oslo
Southampton
St. Petersburg
Stockholm

Asia

The fastest growing market for cruising, in Asia you will find most of the major lines you see in the rest of the world plus ones more focused on the local market. Make sure you take into consideration that many cruises departing China are designed for the Chinese and may not be quite the same experience as you find on cruises departing the US (think food and entertainment).

Popular ports of call:
Bali
Bangkok
Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Singapore
Tokyo

Australia/Pacific

The Pacific is a big ocean. This region is vast and covers everything from booze cruises out of Sydney to honeymoons in French Polynesia. Unless you are a local these are typically the most expensive cruises.

Popular ports of call:
Auckland
Bora Bora
Fiji
Honolulu
Melbourne
New Caledonia
Sydney
Tahiti

Alaska

Popular in the summer, these cruises are focused less on the ship experience and more on the natural beauty, wildlife, and culture of Alaska.

Popular ports of call:
Anchorage
Juneau
Ketchikan
Skagway

The Others

If none of those regions appealed to you, look around. Anywhere there is water you will likely find a cruise. Canada and New England, Central and South America, the Mexican Riviera, the Middle East, Africa, and Antarctica are all open to you.

Cruise Lines

For some people the ship itself is the destination. Cruise ships these days are more like floating theme parks than the stodgy ocean liners of the past. Although if you want a throwback luxury voyage those are available too. Consider what amenities, atmosphere, food, entertainment and accommodations each line offers when making your choice. Within most lines you will also have a wide selection of types of ship. There are big ships with lots of activities and small ships with a more sedate feel. There are ships with the newest technology and ships that are older but offer lower prices. Just like your destinations, the cruise lines cater to all types of tourists. Here is a very short list of the most popular lines.

Carnival Cruise Lines
“The Fun Ships” appeal to those looking for just that… FUN! Carnival has a well earned reputation for being party ships but while you will certainly find the booze cruise crowd on shorter voyages, Carnival is also a great choice for family vacations. Their newer ships feature modern specialty restaurants, waterslides, mini-golf, ropes courses, IMAX theaters, and broadway shows. They also depart from the widest range of ports in the United States although many of these are served by the older and smaller (but recently refurbished) ships. A good choice for all ages and those looking for a vacation on a budget.

Notable ships:
Carnival Horizon - the newest and largest
Carnival Breeze - recently renovated
Carnival Mardi Gras - coming in 2020 it will be Carnival’s largest ship and the first Liquid Natural Gas fueled cruise ship in the world

Celebrity Cruises
The upscale Celebrity Cruises is a premium line that offers smaller ships and a more relaxed atmosphere. Don’t expect a lot of kids by the pool (although there will be some) and there are no rock climbing walls here. What you will find is excellent food, entertainment, and adult clubs. Their newest ship, Celebrity Edge, features more dining options, Infinity balcony staterooms, and a “Magic Carpet” room that hangs off the side of the ship and can move up and down from the sea to the top deck.

Private Islands: CocoCay in the Bahamas and Labadee in Haiti shared with their sister line Royal Caribbean

Notable ships:
Celebrity Edge
Celebrity Reflection - largest and second newest after Edge
Celebrity Xpedition, Xperience, and Xploration - ultra small ships that have a capacity of less than 100 passengers

Disney Cruise Line
Mickey Mouse has been running his own cruise line since 1998. Although a small line by industry standards (only 4 ships) thanks to the Disney brand it is a popular choice for families. Most voyages depart Port Canaveral (an hour from Walt Disney World) for both Western and Eastern Caribbean cruises. Their smaller ships also make seasonal voyages to Europe, Alaska, and the Pacific. Their ships are designed like classic ocean liners and feature fun touches like Mickey ears on the smokestacks and horns that play Disney songs. On board you will find pools, waterslides, lots of entertainment for kids and families but also adult-only spaces. Their rotation dining has you and your waitstaff moving between various restaurants during the voyage and is the only line that offers free soda. Disney is also unique in that they offer various theme cruises throughout the year like Star Wars, Marvel, and Pirates. Pick DCL if you are looking for family fun. Don’t pick Disney if you are on a budget. Their cruises are twice as expensive as comparable trips on other lines.

Private Island: Castaway Cay in the Bahamas is a port of call on most Caribbean sailings.

Notable ships:
Disney Dream and Fantasy - the newest ships feature the Aqua Duck water coaster
Disney Magic and Wonder - the original ships are the only ones currently sailing outside the Caribbean
Three more ships are currently on order for the early 2020s

Norwegian Cruise Line
Despite the name, NCL is based in Miami and does most of its sailings out of the United States. It is the third largest cruise line in the world so you will also find voyages in Europe, Alaska, and the Pacific. NCL is known for “Freestyle cruising” which turned traditional cruise ideas like dress codes and dining rooms on its head. Although other lines have now made similar changes NCL remains an alternative for those looking for something a little bit different. Their ships are new and modern and each have unique art on the hull that makes them stand out. Norwegian ships offer a premium area called “The Haven” that offer adults-only sun decks, martini bars, and spas. They are also known for their booking promotions like free drink packages, WIFI, excursions, and specialty dinners when you book. Their fares are usually a little higher due to these “free” offers, however.

Private Islands: Harvest Caye in Belize and Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas

Notable ships:
Norwegian Bliss - launched in 2018 and the largest non-Royal Caribbean cruise ship in the Caribbean
Norwegian Joy - sails out of Shanghai
Pride of America - the first American flagged cruise ship in 50 years sails from Hawaii

Princess Cruises
A member of the Carnival family, Princess Cruises caters to an older audience with its focus on a more traditional cruise experience. It is not totally stuck in the past, however, as you will find modern touches like celebrity chef restaurants and current broadway shows. Princess is also rolling out its Ocean Medallion technology. These wearable RFID tokens replace your ship ID/room key and promises features like more personalized service, easier boarding, and more ways to connect with your family, friends, and the ship. Princess offers a wide variety of voyages all over the world (and occasionally fully around the world). Pick this if you want something a little more upscale and traditional or a little more exotic.

Private Island: Princess Cays in the Bahamas

Notable ships:
Royal Princess - The flagship of their largest class, the Royal Princess just had a recent renovation in 2016 and sails both the Caribbean and California/Alaska
Caribbean Princess - Older and smaller but also recently renovated. It’s one of the first ships to have the new Ocean Medallions
Sky Princess - Newest ship launching in 2019

Royal Caribbean International
I saved the largest for last. Over the past two decades Royal Caribbean has been building the largest ships in the world again and again. It now boasts the four largest cruise ships in the world and 7 of the top 10. The Oasis class debuted in 2009 and is so large it has a massive open air central park down the middle with interior balcony rooms. Oasis ships also have multiple theaters, an ice rink, and a ten-story tall slide off the back of the ship. Royal includes the latest and greatest attractions on their ships and they can feel more like theme parks than cruise ships. You will find activities for everyone on Royal: bars, spas, mini-golf, water slides, zip-lines, surfing, skydiving, laser-tag, bumper cars, escape rooms, rock climbing, observation towers, carousels, Broadway shows, and on-board shopping malls. Their ships also offer a range of food options from the main dining room and buffets to specialty restaurants. Royal passengers will be everyone from partiers to families to older guests. Pick Royal if you are want the latest and greatest ships and activities. In addition to the Caribbean, Royal ships also sail in Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Private Islands: CocoCay in the Bahamas is currently being remodeled for a 2019 relaunch that will feature the first water park on a private island. Labadee in Haiti is another private destination (it is actually a peninsula) for Royal that has multiple beaches and the longest zip-line in the Caribbean.

Notable ships:
Symphony of the Seas - the largest cruise ship in the world just arrived in Miami
Anthem of the Seas - newer but slightly smaller than the Oasis class, this ship is designed for cooler weather with more indoor spaces and can be found in both New York and Europe
Majesty of the Seas - an older ship but recently remodeled with regular sailings to Cuba
Spectrum of the Seas - launching in 2019 it is the first Royal ship designed with the Chinese market in mind
Icon of the Seas - currently scheduled to launch in 2020 it will be only slightly smaller than the Oasis class but be powered by liquid natural gas.

There are so many major cruise lines that I can’t list them all in detail. You can also check out MSC, Holland America, P&O, Costa, Viking Ocean, and others. If you have experience with one I haven’t covered (or one that I have) please feel free to share your thoughts.

There are also specialty cruise lines. These usually feature smaller ships and an experience focused more on where you are going.

Cunard Line - Owners of the Queen Mary 2, their ships call back to the golden age of ocean liners. While the QM2 is a true liner, their other ships offer more traditional cruises.

Lindblad Expeditions - Small ship cruises to some of the most remote places on earth including the South Pacific and Antarctica.

Paul Gauguin Cruises - Offers a single ship sailing around French Polynesia.

Viking River Cruises - Sail the rivers of the Europe, Africa, and Asia

Virgin Voyages - Richard Branson’s take on cruising starts sailing in 2020. The ships will be 18+ only and feature no-fee specialty restaurants.

Finally there are also chartered cruises. These are usually ships chartered from one of the major lines for a single voyage based around a single theme. Themes of charter cruises include music, television, religion, LGBTQ, and even nudist. Usually these must be booked directly with the organizer instead of the cruise line.

Booking

Alright you have your destination and your ship (and sailing date, I hope). How do you actually book a cruise? Believe it or not, cruise lines are one of the few vacations where you should still be using a travel agent.

No really.

In fact the cruise lines strongly prefer you use an agent over booking directly with them. While you can still book directly with most lines the use of a travel agent has a lot of benefits. They can help you narrow down your options if you are not sure, keep an eye out for discounts and deals, get you on board credit or upgrades, and assist you with any issues that might come up. Best of all their services are free (they’ll get a commission from the cruise line).

How do you find a travel agent these days? Well Google for starters. You can also ask around for referrals if you know anyone else who cruises (that’s how I got my agent). Many of the cruise blogs and websites have relationships with agents. If you are Costco member you can use them as your agent.

Now what are you paying? Well it is going to depend on your cabin to start. Most lines have similar categories that break down into the following:

Interior - no windows
Oceanview - window or porthole
Balcony - ocean view balcony
Suites - A lot of variety here from rooms that are only a little bigger than a normal cabin to two-story super suites on mega ships

With suites and above you will usually get additional benefits that may include access to private areas, reserved seats for shows, and a concierge.

Are interior cabins always the less expensive? No. Newer ships are designed to have far fewer of the less popular interiors and more balcony cabins. The laws of supply and demand will apply and you will likely see interiors that cost more than a balcony or maybe even a suite!

Unlike a hotel where you buy a room for one price per night, usually prices quoted for the entire trip and per person based on double occupancy. Some rooms will accommodate more than two people and if you have a 3rd or 4th person you will pay an additional premium for them. This also means that solo travelers on most lines are required to pay full fare for a minimum of two people. A few lines (like Norwegian) give discounts on the single premium and there are newer ships (like on Royal Caribbean) that sometimes have single studio rooms with no premium at all.

Depending on how far out you are booking you will put down a per-person deposit with the full balance due about 3-4 months before the voyage. This allows you some flexibility to spread out payments without needed to pay credit card interest. If you are booking a cruise that sails within a couple months you will likely need to pay in full immediately.

The base fare will include your room, lots of food, and some non-alcoholic drinks. If you want a specialty dinner, booze, or spa treatments that all costs extra. You should also expect to pay extra for crew gratuities (usually automatically added to your bill on most lines) and shore excursions at your ports of call (if that is your thing). Most lines allow you to reserve and pay for all these extras ahead of time online. Many will also offer sales and packages were you may find things cheaper than if you had waited to buy them on board.

Summary

There is so much to research and consider before booking a cruise. If you are interested I hope you use the information I’ve provided as a jumping off point. Please use this thread to ask questions, share your experiences, or talk about news.

If you want to know more I suggest reading Cruise Critic, https://www.cruisecritic.com/ , the major cruising website that covers every line. It really helped me plan and prepare for cruising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

Zero One fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajaxisarobot
Nov 18, 2013
I’ll be hopping on my 7th cruise in February. It’s pretty much the only way I vacation anymore.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That is quite an OP.

I've always been kind of curious about trying a cruise, but I've also been afraid that once I've gotten on, I'm stuck. I don't mind crowds, but I can't handle guided tours or standing in lines. Am I just the wrong demographic as someone who enjoys DIY? I've always been kind of curious to try a cruise just to see how it is, but then every couple years I go on some sort of day trip excursion with a group of 60 people and I spend the entire day praying for the sweet release of death, and have had a similar impression when being at the receiving end of a cruise load of tourists in places like Santorini and Monaco. What's a reasonable minimum cruise length to see if we like it?

The Alaskan fjords seem like a cruise is pretty much the only way to do it. Is there anywhere else like that? The Aegean I've looked into too since there it's a slight hassle to get around multiple on your own, but there you can also rent a yacht and crew which seems like it'd be more up my alley; same with the Galapagos and San Blas, although there I guess cruise ships aren't even allowed at all.

I'm surprised there are so few cruises going through the South Pacific, at least assuming your OP is comprehensive, which it seems to be. That was another place I was thinking is going to be difficult to do either on one's own or by small boat. Maybe the distances between places with cruise ship-accessible infrastructure are too few and far between to make it feasible.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Where do you live? You could probably find a 3 day cruise for a couple hundred dollars per person that will give you a taste to see if you like it.

I just finished a 7 day on Oasis of the Seas in October and even though there were over 6400 guests it never felt crowded. That ship is well designed to spread people around. Sure there were a lot of people but I never waited in lines for food or drinks or shows.

I did Alaska years ago and it is a beautiful place. I've never cruised north Europe but there are probably cruises through the fjords there too.

Because the south pacific is so expensive there are fewer options. But there is more than just the few things in my op. Browse Cruise Critic. You can search by region or city and see all the sailings on all the lines.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zero One posted:

Where do you live? You could probably find a 3 day cruise for a couple hundred dollars per person that will give you a taste to see if you like it.

I just finished a 7 day on Oasis of the Seas in October and even though there were over 6400 guests it never felt crowded. That ship is well designed to spread people around. Sure there were a lot of people but I never waited in lines for food or drinks or shows.

I did Alaska years ago and it is a beautiful place. I've never cruised north Europe but there are probably cruises through the fjords there too.

Because the south pacific is so expensive there are fewer options. But there is more than just the few things in my op. Browse Cruise Critic. You can search by region or city and see all the sailings on all the lines.

Switzerland, so realistically it'd have to be a European cruise. The Norwegian fjords are pretty accessible by car, which I've done and loved and should probably go back since it's been 13 years (whoa). Does anything spring to mind for you in that case? Maybe Finland-Estonia-St Petersburg? Balkans also I've thought of several times, but tbh I think I'd want a car as I really enjoy driving on terrible roads through mountains even though my wife gets carsick on curvy mountain roads.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lots of choices.

Royal Caribbean does sailings out of Copenhagen or Stockholm for 7 day cruises through Scandinavia and St. Petersburg. Looks like they even have a few 2 week cruises but that might be a bit much for your first time. Looks like in 2019 they have Serenade of the Seas or its sister Brilliance. It's not a huge ship (only 2500 guests) which sounds like your desire. There will certainly be groups of tourists but its going to be more people looking for cultural adventure vs. a party cruise in the Mediterranean.

I would also look into MSC. They are a European line and I don't know much about them but I have heard good things. MSC Poesia does sailings out of Stockholm: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=384

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Royal released some 2020 schedules today and the big news is that Oasis of the Seas will spend summer 2020 in New York City. It will do sailings to both the Bahamas and Canada/New England.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/12/12/royal-caribbean-will-homeport-oasis-of-the-seas-new-york-city-area-2020

Edit: not to be outdone with big announcements today, Carnival 's newest ship the Mardi Gras is going to have a rollercoaster.

https://twitter.com/carnivalcruise/status/1073220773756760065?s=21

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Saladman posted:

Switzerland, so realistically it'd have to be a European cruise. The Norwegian fjords are pretty accessible by car, which I've done and loved and should probably go back since it's been 13 years (whoa). Does anything spring to mind for you in that case? Maybe Finland-Estonia-St Petersburg? Balkans also I've thought of several times, but tbh I think I'd want a car as I really enjoy driving on terrible roads through mountains even though my wife gets carsick on curvy mountain roads.

I’m really not a cruise or guided tour man myself, but I’ve actually done a scandinavia-estonia-petersburg cruise due to family. You can do all the scandinavian places and talinn quite easily without a tour. St Petersburg you have to do a tour, you can’t go off the boat otherwise. Its a rather horrid one too, or at least the one I had. You end up waiting in line forever at the hermitage and the peter and paul fortress, get shuffled past all the art without much chance to enjoy it and get forced for way too long into multiple gift shops.

As for the boat itself, they are huge. Its not hard to find a quiet place to eat or read and those made up most of my on boat time.

The cruise was by MSC, i did 0 of the planning but it seemingly all went well

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I went on my first cruise a couple years ago w/ my then-girlfriend (fiance, after I proposed to her on the first night -- now wife!) and two friends. Carnival Conquest, pretty nice boat. We did the 7-night Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, and La Romana) which was a lot of fun. I was extremely paranoid, but it ended up being a really fun vacation. No norovirus, no sickness in general.

Pros:

-Really nice gym at the top of the boat w/ amazing views
-You walk a poo poo ton and don't feel bad about all the calories you eat
-The food was surprisingly really high quality and really good -- though some mega-cruisers (people who've been on like, 50+ of them) bitched about the food and service. I don't get it.
-We had an indoor cabin, so no views/balcony, but still surprisingly comfy. Always slept like a rock.
-I enjoy poker, and there was one of those electronic tables that occasionally had a full game going. Super, super soft game. Ended up making something like $300 which paid for a lot of booze that trip.
-Nice pool and suntanning areas
-Planned our own island excursions, had a great time. I had been to Aruba once before for a card tournament, and loved it.

Cons:

-the first couple nights when we were in the atlantic instead of the caribbean sea were rough, at least for me, even w/ the anti-nausea stuff. I got through it.
-You end up spending a lot on alcohol if you're a drinker, even if you don't get the obscene drink package. $9 margaritas add up, baby.
-If you're not an excessive vacation planner like me, you may find yourself without much to do on some of the smaller, poorer islands like Grand Turk or La Romana. You can do cruise sponsored excursions, but I didn't buy into those. The best time we had off island was paying privately for a snorkeling trip with a dude on his boat in Curacao -- amazing time, great memories.
-Cruise ports kinda suck. Get away from them fast if you want to get even a semi-authentic tourist experience.
-The entertainment on our ship was kind of lame. We did find this one amazing latin/salsa music duo -- these 2 dudes who were really talented, played great music, and never had a huge crowd. The ships are huge, so you can usually find something fun to do.
-The casino games can really get you w/ bad rules because, well,you're in the middle of the ocean. Good luck finding something else.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Any recommendations for solo cruising? I'm looking at cruising with a friend, but we don't want to share a room. Needs to be something that leaves from Vancouver or Seattle (buddy can't fly without health complications) and under two weeks long.

Trying to research cruises online is proving difficult. Almost all the sites with information are also selling those cruises, which seems sketchy as gently caress. I haven't found anywhere that makes it easy to compare all the features we care about.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Solo cruising is either expensive or difficult. Very few lines offer single cabins and if they do they are very limited in number. You are free to book a normal room but you will still need to pay as if there is another person (ie. Double). Norwegian is one of the few lines that still has some discount rates on doubles for solo cruisers. Not sure on your situation but you'd make it a lot easier and cheaper on yourselves if you could room together.

Cruise Critic is the best you will find for searching various lines. They have pretty much everything. Every site has some affiliation with selling cruises but the info is honest. The reviews are from readers and you can browse their forums for more opinions.

What other features do you care about?

But honestly since your needs are so specific I highly recommend finding a travel agent to do the work for you. It's no cost to you and they can advise you on your options especially if you still intend to book solo rooms.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 22, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Easier and cheaper is rarely my style!

We care about shipboard activities, but it's hard to search for that sort of thing in any kind of comparative way--especially when you're limiting yourself to west coast boarding locations. When I say "activities" I mean classes, workshops, and things to do other than eat non-stop. Most people seem to mean gambling, drinking, and dance clubs.

We're fine with kids around but don't want to be on a family-oriented trip with kidlets underfoot all the time. We're open to the idea of a singles cruise, though neither of us are particularly on the prowl--just figure it might be easier to make friends if people aren't travelling in family-packs. (Buddy is in his early 40s and I'm in my late 30s.) Not fussed about destinations--neither of us has been to Alaska, which looks like the only viable option.

I figured we might do a very short one to see if we enjoy it, then look into things that are a week+ if no one dies of norovirus. I'm getting a little burned out at work and need something to look forward to. I also haven't ruled out going alone if schedules don't work out. I just worry it would be really isolating, even for someone as independent and friendly as I am.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Alaska is going to be your only option out of Seattle or Vancouver. Not that it's bad! Alaska cruises can be amazing and most certainly focus more on culture / exploration than on parties and clubs. There are some shorter ones but it's basically Vancouver to Ketchikan and back.

If you are not afraid of a week long cruise (don't be scared of noro. Outbreaks like Oasis are rare). I would look at Princess or Celebrity. They are a little more upscale and sound more your speed. Royal Caribbean or Carnival wouldn't be bad if their schedules are better for you but they may lean a little more towards party ship.

One thing about Alaska is that many cruises are one way (instead of returning to where you departed like most other cruises). Based on your friend make sure you book one that is round trip.

Ruby Princess does round trips out of Seattle in the summer. It's a big ship but not a giant.

Celebrity Solstice also has round trips from Seattle. It's slightly smaller than Ruby and more upscale.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 22, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you want a really really short taste there are also a lot of one night, one way cruises between Seattle and Vancouver for like $69-79

E: that’s going to be mostly a night of eating and drinking/clubbing though.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

^ Might be more fun than taking the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle. I often get a bit seasick when hurtling over the waves in that drat thing.

Zero One posted:

Alaska is going to be your only option out of Seattle or Vancouver. Not that it's bad! Alaska cruises can be amazing and most certainly focus more on culture / exploration than on parties and clubs. There are some shorter ones but it's basically Vancouver to Ketchikan and back.

If you are not afraid of a week long cruise (don't be scared of noro. Outbreaks like Oasis are rare). I would look at Princess or Celebrity. They are a little more upscale and sound more your speed. Royal Caribbean or Carnival wouldn't be bad if their schedules are better for you but they may lean a little more towards party ship.

One thing about Alaska is that many cruises are one way (instead of returning to where you departed like most other cruises). Based on your friend make sure you book one that is round trip.

Ruby Princess does round trips out of Seattle in the summer. It's a big ship but not a giant.

Celebrity Solstice also has round trips from Seattle. It's slightly smaller than Ruby and more upscale.

Looks like our Costco has a travel agency, so we might go ask about cruises there. We're definitely "upscale" in the sense that we're willing to pay more for a relaxing and comfortable experience, but I'm a little leery of some of the things I've read about formal dining and whatnot. I find it deeply amusing how many cruises advertise having "gentlemen hosts" to accompany solo female travellers to dinner or dancing. However, that makes me think that most of the solo cruises are full of the elderly.

How do ports work? Does the ship just roll up, open the doors and say "be back by 7pm or we leave without you"? Or is it more structured than that? I've only ever been on the receiving end of working retail on Vancouver Island during cruise season. Every shop downtown had the schedule of cruises and often had to put extra staff on when several ships were in town at once.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 22, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah basically you get to a port at X AM. You can get off the ship or not. They’ll say “we leave port at Y PM, better be on board by then”. Usually in the Caribbean for us it’s 8am and 5pm.

The cruise line itself will also offer excursions in port cities if you want that, and you’ll usually find private companies also offering excursions. Third party ones are often cheaper and/or more interesting, but booking through the cruise line is more convenient and you’re guaranteed not to be left behind.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pixelante posted:

^ Might be more fun than taking the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle. I often get a bit seasick when hurtling over the waves in that drat thing.

Looks like our Costco has a travel agency, so we might go ask about cruises there. We're definitely "upscale" in the sense that we're willing to pay more for a relaxing and comfortable experience, but I'm a little leery of some of the things I've read about formal dining and whatnot. I find it deeply amusing how many cruises advertise having "gentlemen hosts" to accompany solo female travellers to dinner or dancing. However, that makes me think that most of the solo cruises are full of the elderly.

I have no information on designated single cruises but most regular voyages will not be that. Plenty of people sail alone or with a friend and you can chat with others onboard or keep to yourself. The "host" thing I have never heard before but I wouldn't expect it on any mainstream line.

Formal dining nights still happen but on most lines dress codes are more recommendation than enforced. Dress as nice (or as casual) as you want.

quote:

How do ports work? Does the ship just roll up, open the doors and say "be back by 7pm or we leave without you"? Or is it more structured than that? I've only ever been on the receiving end of working retail on Vancouver Island during cruise season. Every shop downtown had the schedule of cruises and often had to put extra staff on when several ships were in town at once.

That's the basics of ports. You can walk off and do your own thing until your all-aboard time. You can book an excursion (either from the line itself or with a third party company directly) with specific activities or you can explore the port on your own. You can also stay on the ship and enjoy the facilities with less people around.

Edit: I've never personally used Costco but I've heard good things about their travel business.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 22, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Thanks for all the information, as well as the very informative OP. It's been a lot of fun daydreaming, and it's very likely we'll pull the trigger on this after we get passports and vacation time sorted out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Cool let us know what you end up doing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Speaking of solo cruising, Norwegian, at least, has a solo cruisers meetup every afternoon that's hosted by the ship. Its a way for the solo cruisers to get to know each other, and the crewmember hosting the meetup will generally make dinner and entertainment arrangements for that evening for people interested...like, "I've gotten us a table in the main dining room at 6" or "There's that show in the theater at 9:30, and I can get tickets for whoever wants it." It's a way that you can cruise by yourself, but still spend time with other people if you want to.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Speaking of solo cruising, Norwegian, at least, has a solo cruisers meetup every afternoon that's hosted by the ship. Its a way for the solo cruisers to get to know each other, and the crewmember hosting the meetup will generally make dinner and entertainment arrangements for that evening for people interested...like, "I've gotten us a table in the main dining room at 6" or "There's that show in the theater at 9:30, and I can get tickets for whoever wants it." It's a way that you can cruise by yourself, but still spend time with other people if you want to.

Am I wrong in guessing it'll be 90% old ladies? (They tend to make for excellent company, but I'm wondering about diversity.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pixelante posted:

Am I wrong in guessing it'll be 90% old ladies? (They tend to make for excellent company, but I'm wondering about diversity.)

It does skew older and female. I'd say moat of the people there when I showed up were 40s-60s. Not a whole lot of 20 or 30 year olds.

Btw, in the original post, Zero One mentioned Cruise Critic, the site and message board about cruises. What wasn't mentioned is that people on their board arrange a meet and greet/social gathering. It's usually on the first full day, which tends to be a sea day, usually, and it's usually just a get together with coffee and fingerfoods., so you can get to know some of the other people on the ship with you.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 28, 2019

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Going on the Bliss on a last minute unreal deal next week. It'll be interesting to see the demographics on a late January voyage.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Double

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Anyone remember a thread ages ago about working on cruise ships?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pixelante posted:

Anyone remember a thread ages ago about working on cruise ships?

I do, but I think it was in Ask/Tell.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Saladman posted:

I do, but I think it was in Ask/Tell.

That helped! Look what I found--

Old thread.
Even older thread.

I have no interest in working in the tourism industry (see above: worked retail in a port town) but it's fun to look behind the scenes.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I have a stupid question. How cold does it get at sea? An Alaska trip would probably have much less pool-side lounging than a southern one, but I'm having a hard time imagining folks walking around the ship in winter jackets.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve never taken an Alaska cruise, but my family members have. Yeah they wore winter coats at times, in the evenings. They went in early-ish June and said temps were generally around 45 at night to 65 during the day.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Alaska summers are not that cold but there will be times you want a jacket.

Also many ships sailing in more northern climates are designed with more indoor spaces than southern ships.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I did a week long cruise in Alaska in June a few years ago. Pools were basically unused other than the hot tubs. I don't think it ever got above 64. The other downside to this is that all the people who would normally be up on the top deck of the ship are now inside, making it that much more crowded.

I had a lot of fun on the cruise as well as with the stops, but I couldn't help thinking that I'd rather have done a Caribbean cruise and then done a separate non-cruise trip to Alaska so I could spend a little more time actually IN all these beautiful landscapes we were constantly sailing past.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Kase Im Licht posted:

I did a week long cruise in Alaska in June a few years ago. Pools were basically unused other than the hot tubs. I don't think it ever got above 64. The other downside to this is that all the people who would normally be up on the top deck of the ship are now inside, making it that much more crowded.

I'm starting to look at cruises that leave from San Francisco or Los Angeles, since it opens a lot more opportunities. The friend who can't fly can always take the train down the coast, or make a road trip of it. I'm not a sun-bather but I like the idea of all the people who are being out from underfoot.

Work is nearly doubling my hours so this might all be a fantasy, but it's sure fun to daydream about.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Daydreaming can be fun.

Since you mentioned sunbathing, though, consider the pool area is more than just the pool and lounge chairs. There will be lots of tables along the sides under a covered area, at least one bar at either end, that’s often where they’ll have a band or DJ, and usually there will probably be a couple of lunch grillouts next to the pool. It’s kind of the place to go, except for later at night.

In my experience, at least, which has all been Caribbean.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

What does internet access look like on a cruise ship? I'd assume "lol none" but a couple years ago I was on a bus in Cambodia that had wifi so I don't even guess anymore.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Internet was pretty good on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. They claim to have the best of any line but it is expensive! You can get up to 5mbps for $15-20 per day. They use low orbit satellites over the equator so coverage is best in the Caribbean and not as good on more northern voyages.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 13, 2019

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
My wife and I are researching Hawaii cruises for our 10th anniversary this fall. My specific questions relate to travel/cruise insurance. Should I buy it directly through the cruise line or go 3rd party? Is this something that a travel agent could arrange as part of a package?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Buying from the line itself is going to be more expensive and may not cover everything. It may only cover what you buy from the line itself and not things like plane tickets purchased seperately.

Your travel agent should be able to arrange insurance.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

hepcat posted:

My wife and I are researching Hawaii cruises for our 10th anniversary this fall. My specific questions relate to travel/cruise insurance. Should I buy it directly through the cruise line or go 3rd party? Is this something that a travel agent could arrange as part of a package?

Travel agent here. The easiest way to get insurance is to buy it through the cruise line, however, if you need something special (like you're doing a cruise as part of a larger trip or you want more comprehensive coverage, etc) you might want to go through an outside company like Travel Guard.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Taking my first cruise in 3 months, and I've been watching youtube videos and reading the cruise forums to prepare myself. Going on Carnival Valor out of NOLA with stops in Cozumel and Progreso. We booked a balcony room on the 8th deck.

One of my biggest questions is shore excursions. My goal on this trip is to unplug from my phone and computer as much as possible. I just want to relax, read some books, see a few shows and chill with my wife for a few days without the kids. We're going with 2 other couples, and they're doing shore excursions. I hadn't really planned on leaving the boat to be honest, but can someone talk about them? Would I be missing out if I didn't go? Do I book through the cruise line or find something on my own? (Mr Sanchos in Cozumel seems to be popular). I'm not a huge fan of large crowds or unfamiliar places.

I'm not much of a drinker so I'm not really interested in heavy amounts of alcohol. I drink, but not much anymore and tend to prefer quality of quantity these days. The booze package is out, but I'm heavily considering buying a bottle of Vodka on board and using that during the trip. My wife and I would probably finish the bottle off in the 5 days we have on board. She doesn't drink much either anymore. The Soda package seems worth it I guess.

Lay on the advice for a first timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

skipdogg posted:

Taking my first cruise in 3 months, and I've been watching youtube videos and reading the cruise forums to prepare myself. Going on Carnival Valor out of NOLA with stops in Cozumel and Progreso. We booked a balcony room on the 8th deck.

One of my biggest questions is shore excursions. My goal on this trip is to unplug from my phone and computer as much as possible. I just want to relax, read some books, see a few shows and chill with my wife for a few days without the kids. We're going with 2 other couples, and they're doing shore excursions. I hadn't really planned on leaving the boat to be honest, but can someone talk about them? Would I be missing out if I didn't go? Do I book through the cruise line or find something on my own? (Mr Sanchos in Cozumel seems to be popular). I'm not a huge fan of large crowds or unfamiliar places.

I'm not much of a drinker so I'm not really interested in heavy amounts of alcohol. I drink, but not much anymore and tend to prefer quality of quantity these days. The booze package is out, but I'm heavily considering buying a bottle of Vodka on board and using that during the trip. My wife and I would probably finish the bottle off in the 5 days we have on board. She doesn't drink much either anymore. The Soda package seems worth it I guess.

Lay on the advice for a first timer

Any bottles you buy on board are for home use and will be held until your last day. They don't allow you to drink them on board (they want to sell individual drinks at a higher profit).

As for shore excursions it's really up to what you want. You can go to a beach resort and relax there if you want something more "real" or you can stay on the boat by the pool and enjoy it when most everyone else is gone.

Cozumel is big enough that you can make a reservation for Mr Sanchos (or any other nearby attraction) and grab a taxi at the pier. If you want something more advanced like going to the ruins on the mainland you might be better off just arranging with the cruise line.

On my last cruise we had Jamaica and Cozumel (and Labadee but that's just a private beach). In Jamaica we didn't do any excursions and just walked around the port shops for a couple hours. In Cozumel we went to Tulum which was cool but also felt rushed. I don't feel bad about either choice. It was a nice balance of doing something real and just enjoying the tourist stuff.