Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've done Alaska 3 times (twice with opposite halves of the family, once with my wife). RC twice, I think Holland once. Last time was around 2012 so keep that in mind.

Chainclaw posted:

My partner is not a morning person, and likes to be up late and sleep in. For a lot of other trips this is a problem, with nothing to do outside the hotel room after one in the morning. It sounds like some cruises have 24 hour activities, so if she's looking for something fun to do at 3 AM there are probably some ship amenities still open?
Maybe gambling but as other said the ships tend to shut down in the late evening. There may be a nightclub open. If she likes exercise she can run on the deck, and the pools may be open, not sure. Probably depends a lot on the boat. Also, in late May you're going to be close to the solstice so there's going to be limited darkness.

quote:

I know food tourism is big for other people, but we're both pretty picky with food, and on many of our international trips it becomes a big source of anxiety. It looks like a lot of the cruise ships have a good variety of food styles we like, especially breakfast foods. Also some appear to have some OK food options available 24/7, and some have relatively open eating schedules, too. We don't like being stuck eating on a schedule, we would rather eat when we are hungry.
Room service is typically 20-24 hours and will bring you the most generic of foods. Cruises are not, in my experience, adventurous eating experiences; the food will probably be fine but picky eaters (not counting gluten/vegan/etc restrictions) will have many options.

quote:

We haven't been to Alaska, so that would be interesting to visit. The main downside is my partner does not like extended cold on vacations. Over 70 F would be ideal during the day, but above 50s is still fine for the average day. An excursion or two in colder / freezing temperature is no problem and fun for both of us. Is there a good place to look up the average temperature ranges for Alaska cruises during the at-sea days? We both like to swim, are the pools fine to use for most of the trip, or is it too cold?
If there are indoor pools (and there usually are) those will be fine, outdoor pools may be closed (or at least they looked closed because no one was in them). Juneau was in the 60s? I love the cold but I would say only one location was noticeable cold and that was on the boat looking at the glaciers at the northern-most end. My wife and I rented bicycles in Juneau and rode to Mendenhall Glacier and neither of us were wearing jackets.

quote:

We want a good variety of activities available, and she doesn't drink, so we want something that's fun for someone not drinking.

I've never been a big partaker of the boat activities but while we are both drinkers the only time I had any booze was in Juneau. Off-boat stuff is what you make of it and on-boat... relax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU