Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Going on the Bliss on a last minute unreal deal next week. It'll be interesting to see the demographics on a late January voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Double

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
It's been hilarious watching NCL trying to spin their failure with the Joy in the chinese market. Yes NCL, we totally believe you just spent $60 Million on a ship less than 2 years old so you could do more Alaska cruises.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
On the inaugural Transatlantic of Norwegian Encore customs and immigration was terrible and weird. We got in to NYC harbor probably around 5PM, sailed around for PR pictures, and docked probably 7PM. They made everyone get off the ship, go through Immigration, then get back on the ship so they could officially debark the next day. Made debarkation a snal, but it wasted like 4 hours of vacation time.

There was a reason for it sure, I just don't know what that is.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
NCL messaging app works surprisingly well. I've used it several times and never had an issue with it. The only complication is if you drop the wifi connection at any time you need to log back into the app. But otherwise no complaints.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

arrowdust posted:

We're headed on a cruise with NCL soon and just wondering, do we need to buy onboard wifi or mobile phone roaming in order to use the NCL messaging app?

Nope, it works using the internal network. No extra purchasing needed, just the :10bux: for the messaging through the app.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I was just on NCL Encore last week and there were people wearing all manner of clothes in the dining rooms. Sometimes dress code varies by dining room.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
There are some seriously nuts deals out there if you have flexibility. Saw a solo on NCL Escape next week for less than $100/day, including taxes port fees and the drink package.

Really sad I have stuff planned.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I've been on nigh a dozen NCL cruises over the past years when they were including the drink package. I've only see one guy out of control, and he was just casually threatening to throw someone overboard. Drunken antics certainly happen (see YouTube) but it's far from common or accepted on NCL.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

I always wanted to try out the Seaside. Back before the Covid chaos they had some decent deals for solos. Being in Port Canaveral does make it much more convenient for me.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I wonder how Bill Gates is enjoying his first day of controlling thousands of microchipped brits?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Really looking at those NCL cruises out of Jamaica / Dominican Republic. If I had to put money on something going on time, those would be it. Comfortably (?) out of the reach of the CDC.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Atricks posted:

We booked the Royal one out of Nassau on June 19th, curious to see how it'll wind up. (It's the second one they are doing) I'm really curious on how the embarkation will be set up for Nassau, it's not really designed for that. We did our first Pfizer shot last week at the Orlando/Orange County Convention Center, so we'll be well done by then. I expect mayhem in Nassau.

Yes, that's what makes me really skeptical of their success embarking from outside the US. The lines have invested billions in making the embarkation process smooth and efficient, and things still go sideways and it's still a zoo every time they do it. Now try doing that mad logistical and planning challenge with a whole bunch of people who haven't done it a hundred times before, and without the billions in permanent infrastructure.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I'm living dangerously and booked the first 2021 NCL August cruise.

Thank goodness all of my costs are refundable.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
This is a fight DeSantis can't and actually doesn't want to win. There will be some sort of agreement made if just to save face at this point.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I was on NCL Encore its first US revenue voyage out of Seattle to Alaska. It was a great cruise but I caught a nasty cold that I'm still trying to get over a week and change after. No fun.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

did you get tested for covid?

I did before I returned to work because I'm not an rear end in a top hat, and I sure as heck didn't want to infect my coworkers. Negative. I'd been infected before and been vaxxed so I wasn't too concerned about a breakthrough.

It was unpleasant but not too bad.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Interestingly enough the CDC has confirmed the Conditional Sail Order will expire and become optional on the 15th.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I had a medical issue on a ship a few years past (precovid). I was a dumb idiot and spent too much time in the spa and in the bar. They directly billed my shipboard account for, all things considered, a not unreasonable price. I submitted the bill of charges to my insurance after I got back and after about a month of processing they reimbursed me like I was in the US. Costs seem to be on par with what you would get if you walked into an American hospital.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
NCLs Free at Sea, whilst being a misnomer, does include a decent selection of booze.

With NCL, you have to budget for their daily service charges, which just went up. So $20/day.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Civitavecchia is about an hour train ride from Roma Termini. Costs about 11 euro for the fastest option, about half that for the slower. There is a bus from Civitavecchia station to the cruise port that was 4 euro that took you directly to the port facility. Depending on what pier you're departing from there may be another bus you have to take within the port facility itself. It was really easy this past summer. Highly recommended considering the costs of private motor transport from Rome.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
NCL and their studio cabins are a great intro to solo cruising. I'm not the biggest M
NCL fan anymore, but their product is still solid and their prices reasonable. Plus they do a good job with their solo program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Edge class is great, and there have been incremental improvements made on each one. Better bar spaces etc.

On princess right now. I'm no spring chicken but I'm fairly sure I'm at least 20 years younger than anyone in the piazza right now. Aside from the crew.