Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Speaking of solo cruising, Norwegian, at least, has a solo cruisers meetup every afternoon that's hosted by the ship. Its a way for the solo cruisers to get to know each other, and the crewmember hosting the meetup will generally make dinner and entertainment arrangements for that evening for people interested...like, "I've gotten us a table in the main dining room at 6" or "There's that show in the theater at 9:30, and I can get tickets for whoever wants it." It's a way that you can cruise by yourself, but still spend time with other people if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pixelante posted:

Am I wrong in guessing it'll be 90% old ladies? (They tend to make for excellent company, but I'm wondering about diversity.)

It does skew older and female. I'd say moat of the people there when I showed up were 40s-60s. Not a whole lot of 20 or 30 year olds.

Btw, in the original post, Zero One mentioned Cruise Critic, the site and message board about cruises. What wasn't mentioned is that people on their board arrange a meet and greet/social gathering. It's usually on the first full day, which tends to be a sea day, usually, and it's usually just a get together with coffee and fingerfoods., so you can get to know some of the other people on the ship with you.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 28, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It seems crazy to me for Carnival to begin cruising again in August, the disease isn't going to be under control then and, as the Diamond Princess and other examples have shown, the worst place to be in the outbreak is a megaship. It just seems to be a bad decision. (Disclaimer, I cancelled a scheduled NCL cruise in September.)