Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

hepcat posted:

My wife and I are researching Hawaii cruises for our 10th anniversary this fall. My specific questions relate to travel/cruise insurance. Should I buy it directly through the cruise line or go 3rd party? Is this something that a travel agent could arrange as part of a package?

Travel agent here. The easiest way to get insurance is to buy it through the cruise line, however, if you need something special (like you're doing a cruise as part of a larger trip or you want more comprehensive coverage, etc) you might want to go through an outside company like Travel Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Don't forget the free POG juice at breakfast on Carnival.

The juice changes each cruise. There may or may not be POG.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

So I got a huge MEGA deal on a Disney Cruise out of San Diego that goes to Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, and Mazatlán. I've never been to the Mexican Riviera before. Any tips on what's fun to do in that area for 3 adults?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

We're going next month too! Crazy last minute deal!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

For the record, Carnival goes to Half Moon Cay as well, since Carnival owns Holland America.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

For the best rates and airfare, you're going to want to leave from Florida. You'll get the best itineraries from there too.

I book a lot of my cruise clients out of Florida, usually Port Canaveral or Miami. If I can help you, let me know.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I've done Disney, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean. Disney is by far my favorite, but if that's not your bag, then Carnival is my next favorite. The ships are fine, not the best I've been on, but I've never had a bad time on a Carnival ship. They are pretty consistent both in food and activities across their fleet. Royal Caribbean, in my experience, varies on quality from ship to ship. Our ship was a smaller one, and we felt that the shows and activities left a lot to be desired. We liked our RCCL cruise fine, but prefer Carnival (in my husband's case) and Disney (my preference).

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Dazerbeams posted:

Well Disney isn't really our scene, and my husband nixed Carnival because all the horror stories he's heard about cruises involve them. So I guess that leaves Royal Caribbean and maybe Princess Cruises? There are a lot of different port stops. I'm leaning more towards Western Caribbean although I'm not sure why.

Brak, are you a travel agent?

I am! Feel free to PM if you like!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yes, the nickel and dimeing seems to be pretty standard on RCCL and Norwegian, though I can't speak to it from personal experience on Norwegian as I haven't sailed with them. Carnival does have some pay for restaurants, but I never noticed anyone really pushing them like they did on RCCL.

With Norwegian and Princess, I do know they sometimes offer amenities such as free dining in the paid restaurants or a free beverage package.

That is one thing I love about Disney cruising, sodas are included in the cost. It's dumb, but I hate having to pay for soda on a cruise.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

Seems like most (all except Disney?) cruise lines have premium/upcharge restaurants on board. I didn't try any aboard Holland America, though I heard they were all good -- it just feels weird paying that much for a cruise, and then having to pay $20 extra for better steak or Italian or whatever.
I did too at first, but then I realized that drinking water was going to let me pack in more tasty (and unlimited) food into my gaping maw. Also, HAL has free lemonade and iced tea, so I didn't miss the sugary, carbonated stuff so much.

And for whoever asked, I can vouch for Braksgirl's travel agent skills. She planned a wonderful Disney World vacation for me and my wife. She found us some great discounts and stayed in communication throughout the entire process, letting us know about dates and deadlines and new promotions as they appeared (we totally would have missed the free dining plan if not for her!).

Disney has Palo and Remy so they aren't above an upcharge restaurant. That said, I've eaten at Palo and it is worth every penny. Every cruise line has free lemonade, tea, and coffee, but I loathe Carnival's iced tea. It's disgusting. As someone who has to watch their sugar intake, I can't drink sugary lemonade and juices, and there's only so much coffee one person can drink. So unless I want water only, I drink a couple of Diet Cokes per day. Everyone has a vice. Mine is cold, bubbly, artificially sweetened and flavored junk fluid.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm glad I was able to make your vacation fun!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

To decorate your room door or to hang stuff on the back of your room door.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Mr. Sancho's is the most popular non-cruise excursion in Cozumel, I think. All the cab drivers know it. It's awesome! I've been a couple of times now and I highly recommend it. The service is great, the food and drinks are pretty good. I've been to Cozumel 7 or 8 times and Mr. Sancho's is the way to go.

So what you'll want to do is get off the ship and head straight for the taxi stands. Don't get side tracked by the vendors hawking poo poo at you. Just tell them you want to go to Mr. Sancho's and they'll get you into a cab and on your way. It's about $15-20 each way in a cab, depending on how many people you have. The bigger cabs with more seating charge more. When you're ready to come back to the ship, there are always a bunch of cabs outside Mr. Sancho's waiting. It's super easy peasy.

Tell your friends that travel agents recommend it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I do know Carnival ships have a shop that sells booze, but I think if you buy it on the ship they store it until the sailing is over. I don't think there is like a general store to buy mixers and stuff. I think if you want mixers, you'll have to carry them on. If it's soda you want, you can buy some at the bars. They won't give you the cans though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yay! I love it too!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

Silly burrito! You and braks make sure to hit up Irish Kevin’s for me - or a meal at Pepe’s (on Caroline St) today.

I wish we had seen this earlier in the day. By the time I did, we had eaten so much pie we were too full for anything else!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Funny enough, we came back to Key West today because Nassau had bad weather. Didn’t get a chance to eat at the Irish Pub because it was very full and we didn’t have a lot of time. However, we did tour the Hemingway House and good Lord did Braksgirl squee over all of the cats. :)

They have sweet chonks with too many toe beans. What was I SUPPOSED to do?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

DCL is amazing for kids if you can swing the cost. Princess is the leader in Alaskan cruises, but I don't know that you can beat Disney with kids. If you can afford it and the itinerary looks good, I would 100% go for the DCL.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have not sailed on NCL, so I don't know what their app is like. We have used Carnival's and it works well. On our last cruise on RCCL, I saw a ton of people with walkies so I think that's a pretty good option.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

bonus hole boy posted:

Going on my first cruise in a couple months, went with Royal Caribbean and the Oasis of the Seas because it's the biggest boat with all the activities (I'm gonna do the surf simulator thing so much). We don't have our room yet, but we're going to be on an interior balcony, I'm hoping we get to be above the central park area.

Wish I had read the thread beforehand, it sounds like a travel agent would have streamlined the booking process. It's my first time getting to book a large trip like this for myself and I constantly feel like I'm forgetting something.

If anyone has any advice particular to Royal Caribbean, I'd love to hear it.

If you need a travel agent and it hasn't been 30 days since you booked, I'd be happy to help you transfer it to me and then I can assist you.

Boxman posted:

I believe on the last night of the cruise, Royal Caribbean cruises all have “The Quest,” which is ambiguously described as an adults only game show. It’s incredibly weird, louder than you think possible, and definitely worth going to. My wife was “meh” on it, I loved it. I would expect a full range of reactions to it.

I am not a fan of this. It's all stupid stuff like simulating orgasms and poo poo and I just don't care to do stuff like that. That said, on our last RCCL cruise everyone raved about the Oasis Class ships. I understand that there a lot of activities you need to reserve ahead of time, like seating at the nightly shows. That's something you might want to check into.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

coronavirus posted:

What do you think is the best deal in Cruising right now out of the big brands (carnival,RC,celeb,princess,NCL) ? Its so hard to try and compare apples-to-apples because even if you try and get a final number of the cost of the cabin+fees+gratuties, you really have to do a ton of napkin math of 'this one has a drink promotion, this one was more shows i want, this one has free speciality dining, this one has 11 dollar drinks, this one has 6 dollar drinks, etc etc etc'. Its batshit trying to actually figure out if any are even cheaper.

But I guess I am looking mostly at RC vs NCL on a megaship in caribbean for first cruise. Hard to go that wrong on that right? I'm excecting about 1 grand per person for 7 days, plus how much extra for dining and excursions?

Also, seeing a lot of '60% off second passenger' and 'five free perks' etc right now. Are these typical sales that happen all the time and its not actually cheaper (ala car dealers having 'employee pricing' every 2 months that is only 20 bucks cheaper) or is it actually good sales due to fears of me?

Yeah, you definitely need a travel agent. Doesn't have to be me if you know someone already but there's a lot to chew through here so you need somebody's help.

I think all of them will be comparable when you're talking megaships, so the best thing is to pick the itinerary you like the best and go from there.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Boxman posted:

Taken at 4 PM (although this might have been a docked day, its been long enough i obviously don't remember)

Doesn't look like you're docked. I see lots of wake back there.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No, the interior balconies are generally cheaper than the oceanview balconies. I believe these particular ones are called "city park view".

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm leaving on a Disney cruise on Monday and I don't expect it to get cancelled. There is a ton of media hype on this virus.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Y'all are harsh. I cruise Carnival all the time and have a blast. I've cruised Royal Caribbean twice and thought it was fun but preferred Carnival. Disney is by far my favorite cruising experience, but if a Carnival is cheap enough, I'm down.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It really doesn't matter what ship you're on, there are always either kids or drunk people or both. This last ship I was on was a Royal Caribbean one. I walked into a restroom outside the theater one night and there were two very drunk girls in there talking very loudly about how the one girl DID NOT gently caress SCOTT WHITAKER. I was in the bathroom for less than 5 minutes, but I heard all about how she did not gently caress him, they just worked out together and her husband needs to lay off it.

So yeah, drunk people are not exclusive to the cheaper cruise lines.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

So I got off the Wonder yesterday and today I booked a 3 night on the Dream for March 27. Yep.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

How cheap? There are 10 dollar last minute cruises out of Los Angeles right now.

This is what I almost booked. By the time I asked my wife though sale was over. Besides I think they might go down more

https://i.imgur.com/MhXdqYQ.png

Not that cheap. We booked a Travel Agent exclusive rate.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I really doubt any cruise lines will cancel cruises but who knows at this point. They're all bleeding money and if they cancel, they have to refund. They'll not cancel, hope people will cancel their reservations and accept future cruise credit. Chances are good I'm wrong but that's what I see happening.

I'm booked on the Disney Dream for March 27 on a killer TA rate and yeah, it's looking like I won't be going. I'm bummed.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Welp. I'm happy to be wrong, tbh.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney Cruise line is halting operations til the end of the month.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

NCL, RCCL, Azamara, Celebrity all announced halted operations. No word from Carnival yet.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I was pretty nervous after my March 2 cruise on the Disney Wonder, especially when I heard that the very next sailing had a ton of people that got sick. I think the Wonder got hit the hardest out of all 4 of the Disney ships and now I wonder if maybe I'm immortal? ;)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Carnival announced today that they are cancelling all North America cruises through Sept 30.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

And now Royal Caribbean has halted operations through Sept 15, with the exceptions of some China sailings and the 2020 Bermuda season (Grandeur of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas), which is suspended until October 31.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It's taking a long time to get refunds from cruise lines these days.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I just got an email from RCCL about their new Muster 2.0 program. Instead of having the one muster drill that everyone has to attend, you can go to your assigned muster station anytime before the ship sails and check in with the crew member there. They will give you all the muster instructions personally and then you can be on your way. The point of it is to avoid crowding so many people into a tight space, obviously. I know this will be a headache for the crew, but this sounds so amazing! I hate the muster drill and just being able to go and get it out of the way sounds so nice. I hope all cruise lines start doing it this way from now on.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Zero One posted:

Watch as the Carnival Fantasy is beached at the scrap yard.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDOp_suB7ou/?igshid=rsvbqfkeauh2

We sailed on that ship last year.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It was fine. I was actually talking with SB about it trying to remember literally anything about that ship and I just can't. It was basically the same as any other Carnival ship I've been on in the past 5 years. Like, they're literally all the same.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

We sailed on the Majesty earlier this year and we did not like it so I’m not sad to see it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Viking has suspended cruises til the end of the year.