Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Sea days would seem to be the whole point of the average tropical cruise. I mean, honestly, what's the point of getting off a floating resort to visit a tourist town that's entirely filled with... resorts (but also more hawkers and pickpockets)?

Ah, you see the point is to get off the boat, away from the generic touristy poo poo, to a beach away from all the cattle pouring down the gangway. Preferrably to a quiet beach where you only get charged the local price for beer, and have access to some decent snorkelling. Then sprinting back at 1658, just barely in time for a quick shower, and touch of sleep before your next watch. Never ever tell another living soul where exactly to find this beach.

I used to work in the basement of a cruise ship. I'd be happy to answer questions about any behind the scenes type things anyone might want to know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tip your cabin steward as well. They are usually from an under developed country, and end up working onboard for 9+ months at a time. They are also employed by a mega corporation at the bleeding edge of global capitalism, and are subject to all the lovely business practices possible.
The people working in the hierarchically lower positions sacrifice an awful lot for the possibility to support their families. They depend on tips. Treat them well.

Here's a book that everyone who is considering going on a cruise or working on a cruise ship should read: Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Atricks posted:

This a video from the bridge when the beached Monarch of the Seas last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPpY9EMSWeM
Shortly after that sister ship Sovereign of the seas was also beach right next to it, both are being sold for scrap.

Sovereign was the first modern mega cruise ship built by Royal Caribbean and set off the crazy ship size race.

They have one of these types of ships left, Majesty of the Seas.

But the fact they are scrapping big ships like this shows how badly they are hurting for cash.

It certainly says something about the industry as a whole, when a ship gets scrapped, rather than being sold on to one of the smaller companies. Or the old shell game of moving the ship between subsidiaries, like royal princess / artemis.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

-snip- the cruise industry... doesn't seem sustainable.

Curious, what is it about burning tonnes of residual fuel oil every day, in order to bring an entire mega hotel with you on holidays that strikes you as sustainable in any way?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooh, catching up on the thread, and reading elevator/lift chat. It's a really good idea to avoid them if at all possible, especially in rougher weather. If it's bad enough outside that it actually feels like you're at sea, there is a very good chance that at least one safety sensor in one of the multiple elevators will throw a tantrum and lock the sucker up.
Stuck elevator was the number one after hours call out for the electrotechnical officers when I used to sail.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

That would make the most sense to my uneducated understanding as well, but I'm by no means certain that is the case. When it happened on our ship one of the crew members casually told me the "Captain always has final responsibility" but, once again, no idea about a situation like this.
They had that 100% correct.
The pilot is there as a local expert to advise the captain, and in practice, are often the one to be giving commands to the person actually at the controls. Sometimes the captain will take the controls themselves. But they can never delegate or abdicate their responsibility for the vessel, and everyone onboard. There may well be others that are held additionally responsible, but it certainly won't be the pilot. Better odds holding a cop accountable.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

What's up there that could be that flammable? I thought the funnel was basically just an exhaust chimney.
Soot, probably around the watertubes of a forced circulation boiler aka exhaust gas economiser. So, as well as having what amounts to a chimney fire in the middle of a hotel that people cannot simply walk away from, you have the added risk of rapidly weakening containment around (guessing) 8atmospheres of steam/water emulsion. That's how you get boiler explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've had a couple issues while working on one. The medical staff and equipment seemed top notch to me. They did seem to have a policy of offloading patients ashore ASAP, if the patient's condition was serious.

From experience doing med-evacs from cruise ships to shoreside in Canada, most cruise lines will typically send along a family member if possible. If the ship is close enough to shore for a transfer via boat, this is usually possible. Not so much with helicopter transfer. If the ship is docked, then transfer ashore is obviously much easier, and family can probably disembark at whichever port too. I would expect the cruise line to wash their hands of anyone they drop off anywhere along the line, so further travel arrangements will be up to the person.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties, but the reassuring part is your Aunt is fortunate to have medical staff available. She should be in good hands.