Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Any recommendations for solo cruising? I'm looking at cruising with a friend, but we don't want to share a room. Needs to be something that leaves from Vancouver or Seattle (buddy can't fly without health complications) and under two weeks long.

Trying to research cruises online is proving difficult. Almost all the sites with information are also selling those cruises, which seems sketchy as gently caress. I haven't found anywhere that makes it easy to compare all the features we care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Easier and cheaper is rarely my style!

We care about shipboard activities, but it's hard to search for that sort of thing in any kind of comparative way--especially when you're limiting yourself to west coast boarding locations. When I say "activities" I mean classes, workshops, and things to do other than eat non-stop. Most people seem to mean gambling, drinking, and dance clubs.

We're fine with kids around but don't want to be on a family-oriented trip with kidlets underfoot all the time. We're open to the idea of a singles cruise, though neither of us are particularly on the prowl--just figure it might be easier to make friends if people aren't travelling in family-packs. (Buddy is in his early 40s and I'm in my late 30s.) Not fussed about destinations--neither of us has been to Alaska, which looks like the only viable option.

I figured we might do a very short one to see if we enjoy it, then look into things that are a week+ if no one dies of norovirus. I'm getting a little burned out at work and need something to look forward to. I also haven't ruled out going alone if schedules don't work out. I just worry it would be really isolating, even for someone as independent and friendly as I am.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

^ Might be more fun than taking the Clipper from Victoria to Seattle. I often get a bit seasick when hurtling over the waves in that drat thing.

Zero One posted:

Alaska is going to be your only option out of Seattle or Vancouver. Not that it's bad! Alaska cruises can be amazing and most certainly focus more on culture / exploration than on parties and clubs. There are some shorter ones but it's basically Vancouver to Ketchikan and back.

If you are not afraid of a week long cruise (don't be scared of noro. Outbreaks like Oasis are rare). I would look at Princess or Celebrity. They are a little more upscale and sound more your speed. Royal Caribbean or Carnival wouldn't be bad if their schedules are better for you but they may lean a little more towards party ship.

One thing about Alaska is that many cruises are one way (instead of returning to where you departed like most other cruises). Based on your friend make sure you book one that is round trip.

Ruby Princess does round trips out of Seattle in the summer. It's a big ship but not a giant.

Celebrity Solstice also has round trips from Seattle. It's slightly smaller than Ruby and more upscale.

Looks like our Costco has a travel agency, so we might go ask about cruises there. We're definitely "upscale" in the sense that we're willing to pay more for a relaxing and comfortable experience, but I'm a little leery of some of the things I've read about formal dining and whatnot. I find it deeply amusing how many cruises advertise having "gentlemen hosts" to accompany solo female travellers to dinner or dancing. However, that makes me think that most of the solo cruises are full of the elderly.

How do ports work? Does the ship just roll up, open the doors and say "be back by 7pm or we leave without you"? Or is it more structured than that? I've only ever been on the receiving end of working retail on Vancouver Island during cruise season. Every shop downtown had the schedule of cruises and often had to put extra staff on when several ships were in town at once.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 22, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Thanks for all the information, as well as the very informative OP. It's been a lot of fun daydreaming, and it's very likely we'll pull the trigger on this after we get passports and vacation time sorted out.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Speaking of solo cruising, Norwegian, at least, has a solo cruisers meetup every afternoon that's hosted by the ship. Its a way for the solo cruisers to get to know each other, and the crewmember hosting the meetup will generally make dinner and entertainment arrangements for that evening for people interested...like, "I've gotten us a table in the main dining room at 6" or "There's that show in the theater at 9:30, and I can get tickets for whoever wants it." It's a way that you can cruise by yourself, but still spend time with other people if you want to.

Am I wrong in guessing it'll be 90% old ladies? (They tend to make for excellent company, but I'm wondering about diversity.)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Anyone remember a thread ages ago about working on cruise ships?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Saladman posted:

I do, but I think it was in Ask/Tell.

That helped! Look what I found--

Old thread.
Even older thread.

I have no interest in working in the tourism industry (see above: worked retail in a port town) but it's fun to look behind the scenes.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2019

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I have a stupid question. How cold does it get at sea? An Alaska trip would probably have much less pool-side lounging than a southern one, but I'm having a hard time imagining folks walking around the ship in winter jackets.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Kase Im Licht posted:

I did a week long cruise in Alaska in June a few years ago. Pools were basically unused other than the hot tubs. I don't think it ever got above 64. The other downside to this is that all the people who would normally be up on the top deck of the ship are now inside, making it that much more crowded.

I'm starting to look at cruises that leave from San Francisco or Los Angeles, since it opens a lot more opportunities. The friend who can't fly can always take the train down the coast, or make a road trip of it. I'm not a sun-bather but I like the idea of all the people who are being out from underfoot.

Work is nearly doubling my hours so this might all be a fantasy, but it's sure fun to daydream about.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

What does internet access look like on a cruise ship? I'd assume "lol none" but a couple years ago I was on a bus in Cambodia that had wifi so I don't even guess anymore.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

If anyone takes a cruise that stops in Victoria BC, hit me up and we'll have goon-coffee or whatever. Most of the cruise ship folk seem to just slosh around the most touristy street or go whale watching.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep. It was a last minute deal.

What's the best place to find deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

The Public Health Agency of Canada has recommended that Canadians not go on cruises because the risk is too high. :(