Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jedit posted:

Anyway: what are people's favourite opening scenes in horror movies? If you don't answer "The Fog" then you're wrong, but all input is welcome!

That's a really easy one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEvK-tv5OI

There are plenty of other good examples, but this is the one that has traumatized more people than any other to be sure, and also the one you're most likely to recall exactly when you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Drunkboxer posted:

Sometimes I think “enough already, we get it. You like TCM and Spider Baby” but then I remember that he grew up in some sort of redneck nightmare carnival and that’s probably just who he is.

His films feel way more like TCM2 than the original. He likes to have more colour, more Bill Moseley, and to have a bit of a gonzo feel to them, which are all characteristics of TCM2 more than TCM.

Also I'm surprised it took this thread nearly 3 pages before he was brought into the discussion yet again.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grant DaNasty posted:

I’ve been considering getting a fiberglass replica Jason Voorhees hockey mask, but I’m not sure which Friday the 13th movie version to get.

Part 4 is iconic because of the cover art with the knife going though it, but part 8 is more wide, yellow, and has metal straps that makes it look cooler.

Check out this casual with only one Voorhees mask.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Shin Godzilla is pretty funny, but most of the jokes are leveled at the bureaucracy and inefficiency of the government during a true emergency. The Godzilla scenes themselves are devastating but extremely badass.

Shin Godzilla is amazing. I believe that there is a US version of the film that removes most of the bureaucracy and inefficiency stuff. This sounds insane to me because that's like taking the Exorcist and removing all of the religious stuff so it's just a bunch of scenes of Regan swearing and screaming and spitting up pea soup without context or explanation.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Legitimately disappointed in the lack of a Luigi Pistilli bust.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Gejimayu posted:

Just watched The House That Jack Built

Lars Von Trier is a provocateur and he wants his films to frustrate you and piss you off and make you feel bad/sad.

I love Lars Von Trier for this, but this might be symptomatic.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

In Search Of... was the beginning of my lifelong relationship with these shows as sleep aides. Then for years in college it was Histories Mysteries, and now it's Ancient Aliens.

In Search Of ... caused a lot of mental trauma to many kids in the 70s, including myself. The Bigfoot cabin siege, the dude standing at the end of the bed, etc. Maybe it helped that in the 70s parents would just let 8 year olds watch nearly anything if it was on TV. My parents would let me watch In Search Of and Project UFO and then wonder why I was poo poo scared to go camping or stay near a window after dark.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pomp posted:

Annihilation, Mandy, Hereditary and Suspiria all getting snubbed is p criminal

Take a breath and remind yourself that the Oscars aren't actually about what's good.

Like, I'm a big fan of Nick Cave, but I don't get all worked up when he isn't nominated for a bunch of awards. I know any album he releases in any year is going to be light years past whatever bullshit wins a bunch of awards in the same year. It's not really worth getting worked up about.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Not pictured above: a man who is concerned about releasing an album that beats out Imagine Dragons for some award.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pomp posted:

To be clear, I am just posting and am not actually upset not do I care about the Oscars in any capacity except when shape of water won best picture that was cool

So long as we're being clear, I am in the unpopular opinion camp with Mark Kermode about Herditary and thought it was total poo poo in the first place.

We can all still get along.

MANDY was loving amazing though. Let's talk about that more.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously, his claim to fame now is doing a standup book tour.

This isn't really true. He's actually achieved the level of fame where his claim to fame is just being himself. He's one of those people who can just book a tour that's called "An Evening With ..." and it will sell out. There's nothing wrong with this. He's still passionate about films in general (his yearly best of lists are amongst the most interesting out there) and his books are really great too. As others have said: he's earned it.

ruddiger posted:

Anyone ever watch Boris Karloff's Thriller? He introduced the episodes Rod Serling-style.

It's a great series full of interesting guest stars. The Hollow Watcher is great and has Warren Oates (which instantly makes anything better). There's a cool episode with Leslie Nielsen too if I remember correctly.

Also when I form a black metal band we're going to be called The Hollow Watcher.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 29, 2019

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

where do i start with the books of john waters

If you want to read him talking a lot about his own film work, probably Shock Value. Personally I thought Role Models was his most enjoyable book, because he's one of those authentic "not just an artist but also a fan" people. I think he has a new book coming soon too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Think about it, do they really? :tinfoil:

Exactly what I was going to suggest too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

edit: And again, THIS is my copy of the Stand that I had to repair as a kid with the back of a school notebook when I broke the binding. So I can't be objective on this one, I admit. I'll just defend it to my death.

If anybody ever questions your horror fandom, this book is your mic drop.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like The People Under the Stairs, Tales From the Hood, and Brain Damage are now up on Shudder.

Brain Damage is 86 minutes of happiness.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Henenlotter's trilogy of Basket Case, Brain Damage, and Frankenhooker is vital.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think my favorite King book cover was the reflective foil one for The Shining.

I have a soft spot for one of the original Night Shift covers:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

escape artist posted:

Tried to watch Blood Rage but it was pretty boring.

I want to climb into Blood Rage and live inside it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's bad acting.

:thejoke:

Neo Rasa posted:

I like Blood Rage quite a bit, it has a great low key dark humor throughout it and the guy playing the both brothers is clearly having a blast with it.

Agreed! It pairs well with PIECES in tone.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Untrustable posted:

If I'm missing any other good meta horror stuff let me know so that I may watch it.

A Cat in the Brain is a Fulci film about Fulci being driven mad by Fulci films. That's pretty meta.

I'm not sure if it counts as fun though.

How about films that directly address the audience at some point? Mr.Sardonicus comes to mind. Maybe The Beast Must Die counts too with its werewolf break.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Birth year horror you say?

I'm old.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

It has to be at least the month you were born or then it goes closest to your b day.

I didn't know we had a rule that it had to be released in the same month. I therefore need to change my film to TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA. Perhaps this explains my fascination with the idea of hellfire clubs. I don't believe that the alignment of stars has any effect on your personality, but I certainly believe that the release dates of Christopher Lee films does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnQGJWFJDao

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The Arrow Blu-Ray of Brain Damage is amazing. Frank Henenlotter's commentary is perfect. You can't really beat a commentary when the biggest fan of the genre is the director doing the commentary. I want Frank to be my uncle. Belial and Elmer are my spirit animals.

Yes, this image is actually from Brain Damage and not Basket Case. So there.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Stink Billyums posted:

Yeah it's worth a watch. I laughed pretty hard the first time it spoke.

It helps that Aylmer was voiced by none other than Zacherley too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Last Saturday I pounded back 8 beers and watched TERRORVISION but forgot I had done so until late on Sunday night.

Also Hereditary is still bad.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see Dark Star become Carpenter's first entry in the Criterion collection. I think it would really be a perfect selection for them, an underseen and underappreciated early film by a big name director.

A better way to do this might be to bundle it with one of his bigger name films, kind of like how they snuck Crimes of the Future in for everybody who bought Cronenberg's The Brood.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mitoboru posted:

Witchfinder General

Witchfinder General is really great but the director explicitly told Price and enforced that he not ham it up. This is a questionable strategy and while it did pay off, it is therefore disappointing as a performance by Price in my books.

I don't watch Nicolas Cage films for a nuanced and calm delivery style and I don't watch Vincent Price movies for a restrained and understated performance is all.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Price really changed his mind on the whole thing once he actually saw the film though, and admitted that Reeves had been right.

Sure and he was correct to do so but that still doesn't undo the fact that it's the least Price-like Price performance, which is a (subjectively) bad thing.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for recommendations

Race With The Devil, because apparently my purpose in life is to recommend this film. It entirely fits the request.

also another film I may have mentioned before, Messiah of Evil:

Evil cults abound in both and well ...

It's clear that in real life evil always does win if we're going to say bad things about the original Wicker Man and endlessly discuss Rob Zombie films.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 27, 2019

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

s.i.r.e. posted:

Saw it a while back, looking for older stuff, 50s-60s.

How about GOG, which is a both a sci-fi film and a catalog for engineering supplies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig6-s4tVKlk

It's mostly the latter (I believe it was bankrolled by a company that made scientific supplies). Somebody once suggested that this film is the most MST3K film that MST3K hasn't done yet, and I'd tend to agree.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best drugs=spiritual awakening movie is naturally Mandy

I adore Mandy but you are incorrect because this movie exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7OratUQAw

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tart Kitty posted:

Hell, I’d argue that she often looks younger now than she did in 90’s fashion.

I adore Babs but can we please stop the world because there's going to be a new SUBSPECIES film?!?

Holy gently caress, my whole day is made.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jedit posted:

I was thinking of asking something similar: what is the best music video that is also a horror movie?

I like the idea of Jason trying to improve himself and get a straight job at a restaurant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBG7wAVWAA

Also the DePalma movie that wasn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ao4t_fe0I

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are some lesser known good Italian genre movies from the 70s/80s?

You've had some great recommendations thrown your way so I'm going to make a crazy recommendation of a film that entirely feels like it was made in Italy, specifically by Dario Argento, but was somehow actually made in Australia instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMvCUlCAmI

Australiargento!

(oh yeah and it's from 1982 -- there are several films with the same name and you don't want the wrong one)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Verotika sure is something. I'm not sure what that something is. Definitely the best performance by an actor in a rubber suit playing a character named "The Albino Spider" maybe?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Berzerker posted:

I watched Possession for the first time today. I need to go lie down.

ALMOST ... ALMOST .... ALMOST ...

You don't really watch Possession for the first time as much as you experience it. Same goes for Angst.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

weekly font posted:

Any deep cut recommends?

Not really deep cuts but for SOV that collection has Blood Lake and Sledgehammer which are both essential SOV horror.

Make sure to take a drink every time an establishing shot awkwardly takes too long or there's unexpected slow-mo in Sledgehammer.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Burkion posted:

So, I have a friend of a friend who would like some horror recommendations. General criteria are religious and fanatical horror is their jam, they've seen exorcist and I've already suggested The Ritual and Wicker Man. They've seen the VVitch.

They don't really get along with more campy stuff so any suggestions

Blood on Satan's Claw comes to mind.

Joe Dante advocates for it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixq35MyibI

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

There's a certain contingent of fan that views horror films as a series of badass kill scenes surrounded by the window dressing of a story and little else. I'd imagine those are the same people who would genuinely think Candyman isn't about race.

This but also subtext is something you have to infer, even when it's painfully obvious, and we live in a culture where a large number of people want everything very explicitly explained to them so that there's zero chance that they will miss something and feel dumb or worse feel as if they were challenged by something instead of being able to simply consume it.

It's fine if you don't catch on to something but then actively denying that it exists because you didn't get it is odd.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Being a F13 fan is really a lot like riding around in a Pinto.
There's just no reason to do it.

Crazy talk. The whole series is worth it just for Crispin Glover's dance, the sleeping bag kill, and my crush on Debi Sue Voorhees and that's just the top three redeeming qualities of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Yeah horror groups are surprisingly chuddy*
*(it's not that surprising)

It can be amusing to see the mental callisthenics required to explain away the messaging in films like They Live and Dawn of the Dead but that gets old fast.