Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Problem description: I took my Inspiron 15 7559 in for repair recently to have the palmrest and base cover replaced (the model has a notorious issue where the case comes apart at the hinges). When I got the computer back, I discovered that the laptop's ability to pick up a Wi-Fi signal had deteriorated considerably; it can barely pick up a signal in the next room that'll register as five bars on other machines. There's not no connectivity, but it's next to nothing. The laptop had no issues with connectivity prior to this.

I contacted the repair tech, who claims that the low signal must be due to damage incurred prior to the machine being brought in. As described, this is not the case. I'm due to bring the machine back for another look, but in case this doesn't work out: what could have happened here? I understand through searching that it's possible the antenna wires weren't secured properly, and a post on the Dell forum brought up the issue of the antenna cable possibly becoming compressed during reassembly Is there anything else that could have happened with disassembling/reassembling the machine to impede connectivity? Is there anything that could have been damaged to cause this issue that I might need to get replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attempted fixes: Nothing direct yet. I don't want to tinker with the machine myself. I've done some Googling and have asked on the Dell forums.

Recent changes: As mentioned above, the system was disassembled/reassembled to put a replacement palmrest and bottom base cover on. Connectivity was never an issue for the machine before this, before or after the cracked hinge.

--

Operating system: Windows 10.

System specs: Dell Inspiron 15 7559, 8GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Core i7 processor.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What you found while searching is the main thing that can happen. Either the wifi antenna cables aren't hooked up correctly or have somehow become damaged. The antennas are in the lid and the wifi card is in the body of the laptop. It's most likely that it got disconnected and either wasn't hooked back up right or they didn't notice.

• Locked thread