Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Theme: Festive Spirits
December 25th - December 31st

https://itch.io/jam/awful-holiday-2018

Join the Discord: http://discord.gg/UwXZtgJ
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/awfuljams

It's a one week game jam starting Christmas Day and ending Midnight on New Years Eve (the ball dropping in Times Square).

Got nothing better to do between Christmas and New Years? Avoid seasonal depression and make a video game with a community of other people doing the same! :unsmith:

Awful Jams are beginner friendly! So even if you've never made a game before come hang out in the Discord community and make something!

All the other info that's normally in these OPs is on the itch.io page.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm going to be so busy Christmas week and I just know that means FINALLY it will be Grandma's year!

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I really liked an alternate interpretation from the Discord server for the "Games for Grandma" theme where it's "Games by Grandma" instead. A lot of Games for Grandma suggestions I've gotten are things like bridge games or rhythm-based crochet simulations which are amusing but gimmicky and kinda lame. Games by Grandma gets me thinking about what a cool millennial grandma would make in like 30 years though which is pretty neat. I think it's the expectations of tech savviness that make the difference.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mmmm, holiday jam...

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh no, I might have to jam.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think that, this year, I may try to jam.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Time to slam

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Aaaaaaaaaaalright, got my coffee... time to google... "how to do Godot"...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

We're waiting...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have produced a game! Merry Christmas!

https://atomr.itch.io/build-a-snowman

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Click the banner above for our itch page, or click here for our submission rating page!

You're Brugga, the master dwarven brewer of the North Pole. It's December 26th, and all the elves and other northern denizens are ready to party. Pour drinks and send 'em out to get people plastered!

Created by:
- taqueso (code)
- Drauc (sound)
- Ashe (VO)
- Mihai Zetta (VO)
- Raujinn (art)
- Dieting Hippo (code)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ugh, think I'm finally almost over this cold from hell and can finally start some of these in the next few days. I think partially because it's so much on itch.io I'll crosspost impressions there too this time (maybe, I'll see how voting works, might wait a bit).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1083896366492012551
"Tomorrow" being today now, of course.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I forgot to share my game here, so here it is. Didn't get to work on it for the full week, but I'm fairly satisfied with where I got even if I'd like to tune some more of it up. The criticism in the comments note exactly the stuff I wish I had a bit more time with.

I'm looking forward, and somehow still a bit nervous about, the game showing up in The Gong Show. Still gotta get time to sit down and play the other games. I've been looking forward to the ones shared in the Discord.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I can only speak for myself personally, a non-judge, but I'm about as ferocious as my avatar. Okay, maybe a slightly-too-critical-at-times one, but you get the idea.

Glad you mentioned it itt so I can prioritize your game! And just a heads up, I'm just over halfway done with all the entries and writing up small impressions. My stamina is still shot after this illness so they'll be even shorter than normal unfortunately but at least I'm getting there!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Here is the Gong Show VOD if you missed it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/363002234

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

In a perfect world, maybe with a longer jam, I think this thread (or Twitter/Discord) would be full of Frankensteinian snowmen. Even if I struggled a fair bit with this one I love the gameplay idea. It's pretty satisfying to see the tilting of the level and overall it feels fresh but familiar to me. I do feel like there's way too much clutter (the game feels "over" once you get a second snowball due to the difficulty of movement and the increased chance of physics bugs, and nigh-invisible sticks are a perfect snowman killer) and some of the scoring needs better feedback ("should have nice accessories" doesn't really convey much especially when you have light, bells, and candy canes on the center already). In dozens of attempts I couldn't even tell you how close I got and at times the scoring system did seem like a bitter pill. I'm super impressed that there is a judging system at all though and I feel it bumps the score quite a bit! Here's the closest I got (except for maybe a message which called it absolutely terrible or something???):

Dieting Hippo posted:

Brugga the Brewer by taqueso/Dieting Hippo/etc.
A cute Tapper-like game. Fun graphics and sound and the overall pacing felt nice to me. It felt good to get into the rhythm of it without it feeling like it just spiraled into chaos (well, outside of some overlapping graphics maybe). I don't think the "swap" mechanic quite worked because there didn't seem to be a good period between too slow and too hectic to bother specifically with it (I have a feeling if there was ever a mechanic to require the swap, say by requiring a certain hand for a certain drink/customer, it was iterated out for being unfun). But I think it felt good for a week jam! Here's my crummy high score:

I don't know why you were worried about this one at all, it's pretty fun walljumping and whatnot. There's a lot of little things that would've improved it a fair bit (adding input pauses so you don't have to neutral walljumps, telegraphing attacks, a stronger ending maybe with a deeper narrative or at least some art, maybe another jump button besides space, making out with dodecahedrons) but I had fun rushing to collect everything in time while also trying to break it because that's fun too. Good job!

Okay, that's all for posters' submissions. I had to double-check the jam length was shorter this time while writing those up! You guys are going to make it real difficult on the rest of the submissions (I imagine, because even though this is in one post I'm writing chronologically. Except for the last one which I added later, future-wise. My head hurts). In randomized order:

Present Hoarder by Braymen
A... carpal tunnel simulator? I get what it's going for but it needs more feedback, it's just weird having it be a clicker with arbitrary amounts. The 3D probably doesn't help this because it's easy to feel misclicks. I didn't yet feel invested enough to really feel the pressure when a bad present came along since it happens so quickly. Definitely gets the blood pumping at least!

The Ghost of Christmas Present by McKayCraft
Stealth game, collect the presents while dodging people. Okay, dev's first game, cool. Feedback needs a bit of work of course (line of sight, sound, detection, stuff like that. There's also not a lot of emphasis to point where you can go or what you can do). I think the biggest problem is it relying on a pitch-black labyrinth for most of the game. It just doesn't feel good mechanically (it's a stealth game but it's not using it, not that I think applying it there would work) and thematically. Still, I've definitely played worse "dev's first game that was also a stealth game" so that's a point in its favor. Keep it up!

A Sad Sad Christmas by CodBoxGames
Net a bunch of spirits using the mouse and provide the sad people with festivity. Well, I can honestly say it's better than any game I made when I was 14. Or... anything when I was 14, now that I think about it. It's rough and raw, but it's also kinda cute. Work on the UI, add a cleaner bounding box, iterate, iterate, iterate, and who knows what'll happen! If I was the creator I'd love to find an old digital time capsule and dig this game up years later. Keep it up!

Present Tense by ultigonio
Another stealth game, this one point-to-point style where you jump from object to object (with a couple movable or activatable) to get presents to kids. Not quite Ghost Trick/Haunting Starring Polterguy but it's pretty fun to zoom around dodging guards. The stealth's a bit wonky (easy to get guards stuck, things like that) but there's some fun here as a puzzle game. While I felt it never quite shined in the level design category the systems here felt strong. Graphics feel nice and clean and the SFX has good pop to it. I'd say it's overall solid!

NOG by HOTWAXXX
Goofy little ragdoll physics-puzzler. Quick and funny, this one doesn't overstay its welcome. A couple fine puzzles, some physics wrestling, all in a nice package. For being a small present, it oozes style!

Hot Air by sponge
Fun Balloon Fight-esque game where you dodge spiky controversial topics and collect small talk! A lot to like about this one! Good style all-around with its uneasy, pixely graphics and its weighty sound. Hectic but satisfying arcadey gameplay with a challenge. Maybe it's not downright hilarious, but it's pretty sharp which is better than most. I also tried out Endless Mode but it froze after 18 topics. All in all, a strong contender!

Festive Feast by SystemLogoff
Stylish little inventory puzzle game where you try to figure out recipes by combining items! Quaint and fun, I actually went through it a bunch of times trying to figure out recipes (and thankfully it saves them, although it could use some more expanding there besides just a list!). It's quick and not super complex but what it relies on (like the dialog) I feel holds it up well. Another strong one, this one's going to do well in any consideration of style and narrative!

Liquid Cheer by blastron
Pretty rough cooking sim game. I always look forward to a Team Punch Fight game (and its subsidiaries) and this mini-jam entry isn't changing my mind on that at all. From the description I thought it was going to melt my computer or something! Instead it's just in need of some more work, controls don't feel very good (even beyond the usual wacky sim shenanigans) and there's nothing to make it pop (no sound or a hook). It is very static and doesn't really use the physicality of its space. But besides that it's not like it's garbage or anything. I even started to get the hang of it!

We Miss You by Midoski
"A Short Ghost Story". Simple, but I think it worked! Just enough detail to feel impactful without feeling too forced. I liked a lot of the design elements (loved that weird snowfall when in the car) and I don't think anything felt too heavy-handed. Maybe not my favorite game game, but I think it'll do good in the narrative considerations for the jam. Maybe not so much in the "festive" part of the theme but still overall I'm happy with it.

Santa: One Man Unit by nightrestraint
Just... wacky as all get out. Nightmare fuel, a good stream game (outside of some volume stuff, ouch) and a good addition to the #awfuljams brand. This is the second game I've played where I'm impressed with how much work nightrestraint put into and despite nothing feeling quite satisfying on its own as a package it sure is something. But also I kind of hate it if that's okay? I almost want to peek behind the veil and see what a polished game of nightrestraint's would look like. So, fair recommendation overall.

Spooky Woods by Rectus
Solely a VR game so I will have to skip it unfortunately. Hopefully it's in the Gong Show!

Not A Rushed Game About Krampus by Buttzilla
Find the victims and race to the exit! Oddly, another platformer with a focus on walljumping. Not a ton feels finished here but the physics idea is pretty cool. The music choice is pretty catchy too. The most important thing is that that sprite of Krampus is super creepy. Super creepy.

Christmas ghosts invaded my phone and start rapping and cursing and poo poo by Trixelized
Just a heads up, this is basically a screamer I guess? Actually, I kind of liked the UI and the download page was mostly funny. Also, your Twitter is aytch-oh-tee. More of that.

That's it for my impressions! Time to watch the Gong Show and transfer these to itch.io sometime.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks for the feedback Doom Goon, I really appreciate it! The judging system sometimes tells you things you did right and to remember to do it again. I never considered that people would only expect negative criticism on their snowmen. Anyway I had fun making it and it's just a silly snowman toy. I'm also sad we didn't get to see a thread of people's attempts.

Maybe if I can come up with a clearer picture of how to make this a proper game I'll revisit the idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thank you for the feedback Doom Goon, it is really nice to hear what people think. The swap mechanic was added as an 'advanced feature' that would allow holding a drink for later use. I've never actually used it playing the game though.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Big thanks to Doom Goon for holding down this neglected thread. Between keeping the Discord and Twitter managed I forget the SA Thread exists.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

A cute Tapper-like game. Fun graphics and sound and the overall pacing felt nice to me. It felt good to get into the rhythm of it without it feeling like it just spiraled into chaos (well, outside of some overlapping graphics maybe). I don't think the "swap" mechanic quite worked because there didn't seem to be a good period between too slow and too hectic to bother specifically with it (I have a feeling if there was ever a mechanic to require the swap, say by requiring a certain hand for a certain drink/customer, it was iterated out for being unfun). But I think it felt good for a week jam! Here's my crummy high score:

Thanks for playing! During development we de-prioritized the swap mechanic a bit, now it's more helpful if you poured a wrong drink and want to save it or you need to send out multiples of a one-symbol drink. Most people don't use it, but I'm glad to hear that it doesn't get in the way and the game mechanics function well without utilizing it. Better to have an extra, unused mechanic than one that isn't fun and gets in the way.

How did you find the later waves (8-10) as far as difficulty goes? I'm curious as to how people are liking the management of getting drinks out while also catching the pitchers that are coming back. In earlier waves catching pitchers isn't too hard, but later on when you have three backed up rows it can get pretty hectic.

Thanks again for playing our game and everyone else's in the jams too! I'm always lookin' forward to your reviews in each jam thread, they are hella' insightful.

Sidenote: We also released a v1.1 yesterday of Brugga the Brewer right before the Gong Show with an endless mode, more Brugga movement animation, and extra VO. Please give it a shot!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Thanks guys! The community makes it easy to keep coming back.

TomR posted:

Maybe if I can come up with a clearer picture of how to make this a proper game I'll revisit the idea.
Ooh, I kinda hope so. There needs to be more weird, creative-style games out there.

Dieting Hippo posted:

How did you find the later waves (8-10) as far as difficulty goes? I'm curious as to how people are liking the management of getting drinks out while also catching the pitchers that are coming back. In earlier waves catching pitchers isn't too hard, but later on when you have three backed up rows it can get pretty hectic.

Sidenote: We also released a v1.1 yesterday of Brugga the Brewer right before the Gong Show with an endless mode, more Brugga movement animation, and extra VO. Please give it a shot!
I think I quite liked 0-3, ~5-8 is where I started to get lost in focus and a bit cocky, and then 8-10 was nice because it started to shatter that illusion, lol. I was actually wondering what the score trade-off was for waiting on somebody/catching a pitcher versus rushing whoever new came out the door. Mostly I was worried about lives. It'd be great to add some metrics or study some fresh playthrough vids.

Speaking of, the Endless Mode might need a tweak:

Everything added was an improvement I'd say!

JonTerp posted:

Big thanks to Doom Goon for holding down this neglected thread. Between keeping the Discord and Twitter managed I forget the SA Thread exists.
You're welcome!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Doom Goon posted:

Speaking of, the Endless Mode might need a tweak:

Too easy?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Doom Goon posted:

Festive Feast by SystemLogoff
Stylish little inventory puzzle game where you try to figure out recipes by combining items! Quaint and fun, I actually went through it a bunch of times trying to figure out recipes (and thankfully it saves them, although it could use some more expanding there besides just a list!). It's quick and not super complex but what it relies on (like the dialog) I feel holds it up well. Another strong one, this one's going to do well in any consideration of style and narrative!

Thank you for the play and review Doom Goon. :3:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I don't know why you were worried about this one at all, it's pretty fun walljumping and whatnot. There's a lot of little things that would've improved it a fair bit (adding input pauses so you don't have to neutral walljumps, telegraphing attacks, a stronger ending maybe with a deeper narrative or at least some art, maybe another jump button besides space, making out with dodecahedrons) but I had fun rushing to collect everything in time while also trying to break it because that's fun too. Good job!

Input pauses are completely a thing I didn't even consider, but that's my lack of experience showing. Definitely taking note of your feedback here (and the Gong Show as well). Thanks for the positive review! There were some more things I wanted to do, but ended up struggling on the art and sound a bit and that ate half of my dev time. If anything, I've learned a lot more from this Jam, and I'm still overall proud of myself for managing to finish this with the time I had. I honestly thought I couldn't possible make it in time. The feedback always makes it so worthwhile too.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'll say that at least one person here who posted has posted my favorite game of theirs yet. And in a mini-jam of all things!

taqueso posted:

Too easy?
I'd say so for an Endless Mode because you have more experience (at least once through the normal mode but I obviously had a bit more than that. I stopped looking at the icons and even started to get good at chaining my inputs "ahead" of time). At that point my wrist was starting to give out due to time and I hadn't lost a life yet!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Judging stream VOD! I totally missed the Tweet this time until it was too late, whoops. But at least you can watch it on demand!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
All the streams are done and the prizes given out. Thanks to everyone who showed up to dev or support the devs!

Voting and rating for submissions are open until Feb 1st. https://itch.io/jam/awful-holiday-2018

Be sure to have ask your friends to play, rate, and review. It means a lot to the devs.

Now that the Holiday jam is over I seem to have a hankering for smaller and more laid back jams. Maybe a Spring Jam in the future?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, thanks again everyone! Can't wait for Awful Spring 2019: Hankering for Hatchlings!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wasn't able to contribute to this latest jam, but I really wanted to so I went ahead and made a game with the theme anyway.

It's a holiday themed Tamagotchi with a built in incomprehensible sports game and great (ten-year-old) goon-made music, and you can download it HERE!

Come play it! Or don't!
I look forward to taking part in the next jam!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, nice! When did you start it and how long did it take?

Sometimes you do something and it's great but you don't realize something was missing until there it is. In this case, bam, another classic Hitlersaurus Christ joint out of nowhere. They're always ambitious projects that make me stop every now and then and ask myself, "What the heck am I playing?" And usually in a good way :v:! This one in particular is a good package, yeah it's janky but honestly the systems by themselves feel pretty strong if a little underbaked. The battles mainly work through that jank (and occasionally even using it) and I was drawn to see what everyone's gimmick was. And I'm impressed, crowdsourcing goon media for the music was a great way to add to the :wtc: aspect. Nice job!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, nice! When did you start it and how long did it take?

Sometimes you do something and it's great but you don't realize something was missing until there it is. In this case, bam, another classic Hitlersaurus Christ joint out of nowhere. They're always ambitious projects that make me stop every now and then and ask myself, "What the heck am I playing?" And usually in a good way :v:! This one in particular is a good package, yeah it's janky but honestly the systems by themselves feel pretty strong if a little underbaked. The battles mainly work through that jank (and occasionally even using it) and I was drawn to see what everyone's gimmick was. And I'm impressed, crowdsourcing goon media for the music was a great way to add to the :wtc: aspect. Nice job!

Thanks! Since it's not actually part of this jam I took my time a bit. I think I started sometime around the eighth and finished everything om the twentieth, but the actual dev time was much less than that. About four days total, maybe? I definitely didn't worry much about making the game polished, so I guess you could the jankiness is more or less intentional. I'd love to make a similar (but actually good) virtual pet some day but I think I'd need someone more talented to help out.

I usually aim to give my games a sort of "fever dream" aspect, so the :wtc: factor is definitely intentional. Though each jam I tell myself "this time I'll make something normal enough to put in my portfolio" and each jam I end up with an incomprehensible nightmare game.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 29, 2019

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfMxe0t-JM

The Vinesauce Sunday Stream is up on YouTube, check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

User voting results are out!