Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

For me, the real breakout animation was on Kingpin himself. It's amazing that they made essentially a "void" so powerful. He's way smaller than Green Goblin, for example, but he seems IMPOSSIBLY HUGE even when he's not. Amazing.

That is exactly what I was coming in here to post. He's full on Bill Sienkiewicz but they way they animate him is amazing. He is this dark void that just seems to dominate any scene he is and with the film's use of color that is tremendously striking. He just feels like a horrifying intimidating presence.

I think it's meaningful that when he gets physical you never question it. A lot of Kingpin stuff fails at this in other mediums but here it feels innate to who he is, largely because the violence he does feels primal. I also think it helps a lot that the violence is often masked or hidden, relying on the style to convey the impact. It actually makes him a lot scarier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Post movie thoughts

Not much of a spoiler but has only been out on two days for the states

Do you think we'll end up revisiting Miles story? I've read the comics and I feel like the things after what the movie covered are just reactions from the previous established Ultimate Spider-man world. As of right now I'm not sure I would like to see much Miles in a sequel as much as I want to see other Spider-Heroes and having their worlds interact. From what I'm gathering thats actually whats going to happen with a Spider-Woman movie in production presumably using the same style.

They've already said the sequel is going to focus on Miles and Gwen so we absolutely are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Now that I think about it theres litteraly no explanation where that radiactive spider that bit Miles came from

I got the impression it was another multiverse escapee. It did have Alchemax written on it but that considering Spider-2099 in the credits that doesn't rule it out. It also just could have gotten there when Doc Ock or someone visited since it's right near the supercollider spot.

My favorite little bit was the Spider-Man comics. I was confused how they worked in a setting where he was real but if you look at the pages the main character has a different hair color and is named Billy.

Another bit I liked that made things feel less coincidental: Of course Uncle Aaron knew the spot he took Miles to. He works as Prowler and it would have passed it by frequently while visiting the supercollider.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Jeff the stepfather of Miles? I noticed they don't share a last name, which could mean a number of things, but I'm not super into the minutiae of comics.

No, he is his father, Miles just took his mother's name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it genuinely helps that Miles is a character whose origin is effectively unknown AND who builds off a character whose origin is well-known. The film assumes the viewer knows MJ/Aunt May/Peter and takes it as a given and uses that to add context to the other character's origin so it feels fresh while hitting similar beats.

Also, you know, fuckin' dripping with style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

One thing that did stick out to me is that they didn't really do anything with Miles' Dad assuming spiderman killed Aaron outside of him changing his mind about his assumption at the end. I mean the reason why that plot point got lost in the shuffle makes sense (film was packed enough as it is), but it was still the one thing that stuck out.

I feel like it was largely there to remove one of Miles' last hand-holds. While it didn't go far it went far enough that when Miles was at his lowest he couldn't go to his dad. In turn that set up his dad opening up honestly to him. They might have done without it but I think it helped emphasize that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peter Parker doesn't bother shitposting because "making anonymous online comments designed to amuse or annoy depending on who you are targeting, protected by the fact that you are masked from the person you are talking to" is Spider-Man's fighting style and he gets all that out when he's punching Doc Ock or pissing off Wolverine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ that animation swap looked fuckin' amazing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is absolutely absurd how much the Spiderverse films style (quite literally) over pretty much every other 3D movie out there. It's genuinely embarassing to see the previews for Elemental and go "oh yeah same basic art style of bland nothingness" and then go directly in the opening sequence which is some of the most jaw-dropping stunningly beautiful animation I can recall seeing.

I don't know if this is weird to say but man did Gwen's scenes feel heavily trans-coded. I mean there's a literal 'protect Trans kids' sticker in her room but they literally drape her in the color of the trans flag multiple times and I feel like in the final sequence with her dad his badge-spot also ends up looking exactly like the flag. I'm not sure if it's as intentional as it seems since 'superhero coded as queer' is pretty old hat but man in conjunction with the whole 'gently caress canon' aspect of the plot it just stood out.

And I really hope they live up to the 'gently caress canon' part of the plot. The fact that the 'plot hole' appeared seems like a warning but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't as clear cut. I'd *much* rather the movie come away with the viewpoint of "You are who you are and who you are proud to be and nobody can tell you that you're 'fake' or 'not real' or that you have to endure the same tragedies they did or your experiences aren't valid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PageMaster posted:

I'm actually glad the thread spoiled me on this so I could pass on watching in the theatre this week. As much as I was looking forward to it, I really can't stomache dropping two+ hours with no conclusion, but a definite digital order before the next movie for sure!

I will say that I can understand your viewpoint but holy crap am I glad I saw this on a big screen. Like I could have turned off the audio and just watched two hours of the visuals and still got my money's worth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean the biggest point I realized after brushing up a bit is that for all Miguel talks about the certainty of canon events, Miles’ dad is historically not only not dead in most appearances, he’s the only member of the morales family who consistently gets out unscathed. Miguel’s whole thesis is fundamentally bullshit from the word go.

Miles' dad is notably very dead in the PS games which get multiple callouts in the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption is that Miguel didn't understand what caused the issue but blamed himself in his self loathing. Which is a very Spider Person thing to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I did wonder about the vampire stuff. I'm really curious what they're going to do with Miguel because he was absolutely about to bite into The Vulture at the beginning of the movie before the helicopter hit them with the spotlight. I don't believe they're trying to do a full on villain thing with him, but the vampire aspects seem to be brought up for a reason

That is literally just part of the character. His fangs contain a paralyzing neurotoxin which he was probably trying to use

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 7, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Honestly, Miles' first encounter with the Spot kind of illustrates that Miguel might have a point. Miles is very irresponsible in that scene; not taking Spot seriously at all, demeaning him and just making everything worse. Really, Spot is correct that stealing an ATM is a victimless crime. Spot also wasn't acting violently toward the shop owner at all. Miles didn't really need to intervene. He just exacerbated a situation way out of control. They definitely caused more property damage than was saved in the ATM and he unintentionally made a supervillain really, really loving motivated to do some damage. And he could have taken Spot out before revealing himself if he really thought he needed to, but he wanted to throw out some banter first.

Don't get me wrong, Miguel is ultimately missing the point but Miles really did need a wake up call to start being more responsible. But he can get that without someone needing to die for his "character development", I mean jesus christ.

He is Spider Man. It isn't like Peter takes his joke villains seriously either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ograbme posted:

I live being Spider-Man and not intervening against petty criminals. Now I'll take a big sip of coffee and read the obituaries...

Don't be silly it isn't like that seemingly minor villain might come back in a way that impacts Miles directly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I meant more about the idea that every Spider-person has to suffer tragedy in order to learn to be more responsible and a better hero. Peter B Parker uses that to justify why it was "good" for Uncle Ben to die because it taught him about great responsibility. That's the justification for why letting people die is ultimately for the best.

I do think that it is intentional that Miles starts off the movie completely loving up his first encounter with the Spot in large part because of his irresponsibility. I was just using the example of him unnecessarily escalating the situation as part of that. Even on the absolute surface he's incredibly late for an important interview and is still taking his sweet time making himself a snack and quipping instead of just webbing up Spot and leaving. Miles screwing around in the fight literally puts his dad in mortal danger multiple times, if that isn't meant to parallel the rest of the movie it's a heck of a coincidence. I also highly doubt it's a coincidence that Spot starts off as entirely non-violent and unthreatening and only becomes a threat when Miles refuses to take him seriously and insults him.

Miles literally already had his uncle die. He had that canon event. You are painting Miles acting like *every other Spider-Man* as a flaw and not how Spider-Man acts. If it was Peter and The Shocker you'd see the same behavior.

'Peter Parker is late for everything' is like a basic trait og the character. Miles is not different or out of place.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 7, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

One thing that came to mind to me.

We know 42-Miles is a lot darker and a lot more viscous but I'm curious to know what the state of the rest of the world is. Like is it possible it's a bit of a misdirect and Aaron and Miles in that world are effectively anti-heroes fighting against Alchemax or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That's sort of what I was thinking. We see the Spider was going to bite him, and that he had his own Uncle Ben event. It's the harshest rebuke to Miguel's not a spiderman talk. If 42 Miles ended up close to Aaron and started pulling petty crime while working on the Prowler tech only to wake up to a dose of reality when his father gets caught up in it. Then goes all in on trying to stop crime, but is limited mobility and skill wise.

They've even set up their own villain for that dimension with the Sinister Six being called out. And two Heroes of slightly different views getting into pointless fights before teaming up to fight the big bad is as old as comics.

Yeah, "Miles doesn't get bitten by Spider-Man but even without the powers still becomes a hero" feels like a natural counterpoint. You can even justify the way they were acting by "a weird clone of MIles showed up in his house talking to his mom and they are pissed about that.

It ends up being a bit of bait and switch but eh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Miguel is very bluntly a dude suffering from extreme guilt over his mistakes and desperate to prevent them from happening again

You may recognize that as thr most Spider-Man rear end thing it is possible to be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 12, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Jesus posted:

The problem with this reading is that Miguel is ready to sacrifice others ( i.e. Miles' dad ), not himself, to preserve his idea of what is right, which is definitely not a Spider-Man thing to do.

The issue is that as far as we know Miguel has a reason to believe that breaking canon kills a universe. He could be wrong but his belief is genuine enough. He thinks these events need to happen or everyone dies because he believed the same as Miles and got burned for it.

Like literally entire armies of Spider-Men agree with him. It isn't just him or him keeping it a secret. It isnt even him lying because Peter B backs him up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do feel like that it felt like it was building up to a climactic action scene and then kinda just ends. Like, even BTTF2 has a proper climax and denouement.

The climactic action scene was Miles vs the Spidermen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

The thing with BTTF2 is that it's a movie about McFly fighting a specific villain for that movie, and defeating him, and then a hook for the next film. AtSV can't have either Spot or Miguel be defeated in this movie, and adding a single movie villain would just add flab to the narrative.

The better comparator would be to Empire strikes back, where broadly the protagonist loses but manages to escape with a better understanding of their situation. The difference here being that ESB ends with Luke in a position of safety ready for a timeskip and AtSV does not.

Han Solo literally is kidnapped

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Your point being?

Unless you are not counting Han as a protagonist (which he is) the protagonists do not all end the story in a place of safety

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If there is one merciful blessing about the MCU it is that by necessity they have to shuffle actors out in favor of new folks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't see Gwen dying in a movie whose central theme is likely to be 'canon is not inescapable'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think none of the heroes are going to die because it is a fundamentally optimistic movie series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

So are the two different versions caused by the re-release of the film with the fixed audio balance? Like when they reissued the fixed audio version it happened to have altered footage as well?

Been thinking about why Hobie would even bother to join an organization dedicated to maintaining order and stability and the only way I can square it is if he joined up to sabotage the spider society from the inside after seeing how Miguel's plan was the antithesis of Hobie's entire being.

He joined to save lives and noped out once it reached the point that he wasn't going to do that anymore there.

He is still, at heart, a good dude who wants to help others and that included other spiderfolk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is so weird. I remember seeing Tatcher too, like pretty vividly because it made the 'hate the PM' joke land.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's possible they are doing a Clue thing and having different versions as some sort of hint to multiverse shenanigans but even if that is the case they probably should say something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spider-Men and Women are, by their nature, people so utterly wrapped up in their own trauma and mistakes that they sacrifice any chance at a normal life to atone for them and believe they have a great responsibility. Most of them are also some degree of giant nerd.

There's basically no group better to get groupthought into "This horrible tragedy was impossible to avoid and also we have to adhere VERY STRICTLY to canon." You don't get to be Spiders without some degree of immense guilt, desperate desire to avoid another mistake, and being the kind of person who gets irrationally upset when Star Trek makes a continuity mistake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

One thing sort of bothers me while rewatching.

Why does Miguel tell Miles anything? Why not just say “hey knock it off” and ship him back? Why tell him 2 days before his dad is supposed to die? Why tell him it’s 2 days until his dad dies? Why tell him there is a captain-death thing at all? They gave him way more information than would’ve been necessary to get him to buzz off. I know the real reason is the story didn’t work otherwise but is there any in-universe justification for dropping that info bomb on him?

Because Miguel's entire thing is that he thinks he is *right.* That these things need to happen and there is no avoiding it. He isn't trying to trick Miles. He's genuinely trying to explain to Miles why this has to happen. He can't even hide the 'captain death' thing because that specifically is what Miles averted the first time. He tried keeping him out of the loop but obviously The Spot and Gwen made that impossible so he took the next step of trying to explain himself.

There's a very good chance he is wrong but Miguel managed to recruit a whole loving lot of Spider-Men using the same argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't watch the Venom movies and didn't think that scene was a cameo or anything. I just thought it was a "Spot goes to the real world but he runs into a bored convenience store clerk who can't be bothered to care about stuff" joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assepoester posted:

Venom is a movie where the techbro villain is abducting homeless people off the street, experimenting on them, and murdering them, and Eddie Brock is the only one who even cares

So vey realistic is what you're saying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, to be honest, "So there was an interdimensional disaster during which I got powers and thrived with help from other Spider-Men... and now I'm completely alone, the only Spider-Man, and now have to deal with all this poo poo myself knowing the last guy was literally killed on the job" is the kind of thing that would make anyone sane panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frankly the fact that Miles isn't a crying wreck in a corner at all times is genuinely impressive.