Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
If he took his dad's name he'd be Miles Davis. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mr. Powers posted:

I really liked the movie and the animation style was unique and interesting, but I had to go to the front desk twice to make sure I wasn't in a 3d showing without glasses. I was literally the only one there, so I couldn't just look around. If I could change one thing about the film, I would tell the people in charge of the look that horizontal separation of the image to express depth is bad. Up until it was over, I was questioning if it was 3D despite being told no twice.

In my mind, this effect was trying to replicate the look of comics when they're slightly misprinted on newsprint, so the color bleeds or is separated from the line art.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I'm also fairly certain Jorma (Goblin) is also Spidey 67. In the credits he's listed as Green Goblin/Last Dude, much like Oscar Isaac & Greta Lee are credited as Interesting Person #1 and #2. And "Last Dude" is similar phrasing that would be a way to keep that spoiler under wraps. Also I listened this 2nd time watching the movie and it definitely sounds like him. Hope he sticks around for the next one.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Perhaps more than ever before, BoTL.....this ain't it, chief

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
As I watched Miles triumphantly jump off the edge of the building in the Spider-Man suit he had made his own, with the tones of "What's Up, Danger" booming behind him, I sat in my chair in the theater and thought, "This movie is about being scared of the Large Hadron Collider."

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Reading BoTL's rap sheet always reminds me why no one should respond to them in earnest.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
also cuz it looked cool

edit: and also i want to point out that politically, from what I can glean, i agree with botl on politics, and truthfully, a lot of times on books and movies! my issue is moreso that they're a giant prick who enjoys being obtuse and difficult in every loving thread they post in!!! and mel! you literally follow botl from thread to thread! so weird!!!

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 29, 2018

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sometimes in movies it's just fun to have cool and funny tertiary characters voiced by Nic Cage in them.

I love the Big Lebowski but Jesus is a pretty pointless character in it. He's in like two scenes, maybe 15 lines total. Wouldn't want him not in the movie though, because he overall adds to the texture and "universe" of the film. Also, it's fun to have cool and funny tertiary characters played by John Turturro in your movie.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They aren't tertiary characters though, they are ostensibly deuteragonists. The film is explicitly built on the premise of "spider-men from all over the multiverse" and in the end there are clearly characters the plot is built around and also characters who could be removed and not affect the film at all.

The movie could have just been miles/parker/gwen and been a lot tighter of a film and not lost anything.

I feel like this has also been talked about before and you're just willfully being obtuse.
They're there to show how much wilder the "anyone can be Spider-person" concept can go beyond traditionally built modern day male/female.
Also, to show off interesting new animation techniques by the crew!
Also because it's fun! It's a fun movie!
edit: I mean, c'mon, it's a loving family movie called "Into the Spider-Verse" it's absolutely ridiculous you're walking around with a hand to your head going "WHY SPIDER HAM??"

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 1, 2019

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Tossing in stuff just because its fun is what leads to films becoming bloated and aimless

And I do agree that the different animation styles are interesting which is why I wish they were more essential. The fact that Ham/Penni/and Noir all represent distinct visual art styles was something I wanted to see explored a lot more than their limited screentime. The film is already visually fascinating in its "core" art style, and I would have loved to see the changing of the art style played with a lot more than it ultimately was.

Why is it everytime someone is dismissive of a movie like this people seem to go "animation and kids films don't get the respect they deserve!" and every time someone is being analytical about it they go "its just a kids movie don't take it so seriously"

At least pick a side and stick to it

I'm not saying "it's a kid's movie don't take it seriously," I'm saying the inclusion of Spider-Ham in a relatively simple movie called Spider-Verse which is about bringing together disparate versions of the character pretty much explains their inclusion.
I'm sorry, in your opinion, there wasn't enough material for them in the movie. I guess what they had worked for me. They each got a couple funny and/or touching moments, and helped tie into the message of the movie, again, that "anyone can be Spider-Man."

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That wasn't about the literal meaning of the words. It's about the ideal that the words describe.

Miles Morales is a poor superhero, as Spider-Man always is.

do you see movies for free or something? because I can't imagine spending all my precious money on going to see a movie that I know I'm probably gonna hate because I intrinsically dislike the character.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I didn’t speak up at the time, and I regret it now, because BOTL was a condescending bully, but I also live in Brooklyn and witnessed in the theater a mom putting an excited arm around her son, both POC, and giving a quiet “yeah!” during the “What’s Up Danger” sequence. It was really sweet and made my viewing experience that much better and it pissed me off to no end that BOTL couldn’t comprehend people enjoying a movie they didn’t like, and ultimately assuming the anecdote was just made up. It wasn’t, because it happened to me too. This film made people happy and inspired many. Not to relitigate BOTL, but wow it’s so much nicer now that they’re not around.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Movie is incredible. Best looking animated film of all time. Will be seeing it again ASAP

LFGGGG!!!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yup!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The_Doctor posted:

I have lots of thoughts.

Non-spoilers
It’s very long, occasionally it drags (the opening 20 mins is particularly egregious), and it’s probably the most stunning thing I’ve ever seen on screen.

Spoilers
God that opening with Gwen is way too long, and just cements how much I don’t care about her character at all. The movie really only starts when Miles finally turns up.

Lots of amazing cameos, that one Prowler in the spiderclub made me yell.

Hobie and Pavitr were both great additions, and I’m glad they’ll be sticking around for Beyond.

My other half is going nuts over that alt!Miles ending, as he wrote a fic with that exact concept back in 2019 and is alternating between thinking they ripped him off somehow and saying he predicted the ending of this movie 4 years ago.

Gotta disagree I thought the first 20 minutes were incredible character work

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I loved getting to know more about Gwen this time around, she really became more fully realized

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sure it might be very much a cliff hanger but seeing Spider-Ham & Noir with the crew at the very end had me legit cheering in the theater

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Saw it a second time with a friend this evening and WOW my sound mixing was 100% better haha I could hear almost ALL of Hobie’s dialogue loud and clear

It’s still an incredible film, at least 8.5/10, and the visuals simply are the best ever, but there were a couple moments and sequences I thought could be shorter/excised and the film might be a LIL better for it.

Still, I’ll probably see it at least once more in theaters.

My friend also didn’t know it was part 1 of 2 and about two minutes before it ended whispered to me “this seems like a lot to resolve…” I didn’t say anything but was internally chuckling.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MJeff posted:

So, regarding Gwen's dad, did he have a trans flag pin on his badge, or was that just like, a trick of the colors in the scene or something to make it resemble one? Basically, was it a thematic choice by the artists to use the colors to reflect the scene or was it a narrative choice to say "he literally has this pin and literally put it on his badge"?

This is not a rhetorical question, I'm actually asking because I've heard both and screencaps don't tell the story and I wasn't paying attention to his badge during my viewing.

I looked out for this last night and in the first sequence with him it DOES look like it’s on it but at the end of the movie when they do a closeup of his badge it’s clearly just police rank stripes above it.

Gwen does have a prominent Protect Trans Kids poster in her room though.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I don’t think Miguel’s system is supposed to be internally consistent

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Like I said in the BSS thread; How do you have your cake and eat it too? Two cakes. How do you save your dad and stop The Spot as well? Two Miles.

Yeah I think this is probably it. Oooo man seeing all those nice story beats resolve is gonna feel so good hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Miguel calling Lego Spider-Man “One of our best” is so funny