Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t see what’s wrong with that post aside from disagreeing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Very cool to see the thread has successfully transitioned into being genuinely mad that people are actually talking about the movie instead of the lovely ancillary promotional material.

Jake Johnson singing Jingle Bells is my jam! I am definitely more normal than you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or maybe people are finally getting tired of literally every single CD thread devolving into "hmmm yes but you see why hmmm why is the film called into the spider verse filled with characters based on spiders? Perhaps this speaks to the nature of consumerism in our culture and furthermore ~faaaaaaaart~"

God forbid anyone want to talk about the actual movie instead of waste their time with a lovely joke Christmas EP.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can understand being sick of BotL but literally everybody in this thread who wants to discuss the actual movie is just getting hit with the “BUT DID YOU LISTEN TO THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM!?!?” meme at this point.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

The only person consistantly obsessed with this loving album at this point is you dude. We get it.

I made two posts about it in the past fifteen minutes. Your comeback is trash. Talk about the movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

What is your argument here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

lmao I love this still makes nerds furious

I can’t even tell if they’re furious. They were like “this part of a movie sucks,” and other people were like “oh, I liked that part,” and their response is to... link to a video of that part with no further comment? Like, yes. That is what we are discussing. You got it, champ.

I’m being disingenuous here, I know the actual intention behind something like this is to shove it in the opposition’s face and imply a scream of “just LOOK AT IT!” because you’re hoping to get the audience following along with the discussion to believe there’s an objective stance on the scene they may or may not have missed out on. Except these forums are dead and the only people you’re proving yourself to are the ones who already made up their minds about the scene.

lovely dancing Parker is great and only continues the tradition of the pure ecstasy of camp that lines the Raimi trilogy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

do you see movies for free or something? because I can't imagine spending all my precious money on going to see a movie that I know I'm probably gonna hate because I intrinsically dislike the character.

Just because a character is bad at being a superhero doesn’t mean they’re a bad character.

If anything, the fact that Spider-Man, in all his most basic stories, usually fails at being a superhero is what makes him so interesting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really feel like a movie having representation in it doesn’t automatically excuse it from criticism.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Augus posted:

it's bad criticism fam

That’s cool, I just think people should address it on the grounds of it being bad criticism instead of accusing him of hating kids or whatever.

Pick posted:

You cut off one lamp and seven new lamps take its place, each more furiously stupid than the last

This is basically what I’m talking about, now the discussion is poisoned and having even slight misgivings about the movie makes you BotL for some reason.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pick posted:

it's wrong for the black four year old from Brooklyn to not yet understand that he should strive to identify fully with white men , who likewise expend great effort to fully understand him and the experiences he will encounter in his life

Nobody is saying this.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Augus posted:

it was addressed as bad criticism ages ago but he digs deeper and retreats into irony which is exhausting. move on from this

I didn’t even bring up BotL, you did. I was just agreeing that it’s dumb to claim that a random anecdote of a black kid enjoying seeing another black kid in the movie is a better topic of discussion than anything in the actual movie.

Representation is good, but it doesn’t excuse a movie from criticism.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Then maybe just let it go talk about the film then instead of being like 5th-hand mad by proxy about a 4 year old really liking a comic book movie.

Sure.

Miles' arc is truncated in a really unfortunate way - the pacing of the movie is breakneck, there's simply too much content to cram into a movie this short. Sacrificing any of the three Spider-Men who don't accomplish anything might have solved it or might not have, but what matters is that the end result isn't Miles actually "learning to be Spider-Man." This isn't a coming of age story for Miles - his maturation into Spider-Man comes when he gets lucky taking the oft-mentioned "leap of faith" and not because of any lessons he learns. Even the last blow Fisk lands on Miles is framed similarly and makes a similar motion to Parker's death blow, meant to reference it - but Miles survives it because... his dad is cheering him on? There's not really any explanation as to why Miles succeeds where Parker failed other than that he's got a taser in his palm. It's implied through the shoulder touch reference, the presence of his dad, and the "I'll always have my family" line that Miles pulls it off because of those connections, but then that creates some weird implications that Parker failed because he doesn't have one. It's driven home by the fact that Uncle Aaron is done in by his own decisions and not Miles', which isn't even comparable to Uncle Ben dying because Parker failed to learn his core lesson, which taught him to actually pay heed to it - and made even weirder by the next scene, where the Spider-People tell him that losing someone you care about is just intrinsic to the idea of being a hero. Not only is it not really true, it's also not applicable here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LionArcher posted:

The fact that miles has a different arc of becoming Spider man over Parker doesn’t make him weaker, just different, and the fact that you’re implying it does has some borderline systemic racist undertones :allears:

What are they? I don’t understand what you mean and would really like to avoid insinuating anything like that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The reason why the four-year-old black kid anecdote is getting singled out by myself and other people in the thread is because the presence of representation often overshadows how these people are represented. We’re all still a bit sore from discussions of the best example of this, Black Panther - Marvel fans and other neoliberals would often praise the film for its representation while ignoring or shutting out complaints from others that it’s extremely poor representation. Yes, the movie’s cast is 98% black people, but it’s also a movie about a monarchy that chooses its leaders through ritual combat crushing a globalist rebellion with the help of the American CIA - and in terms of the real-world consequences, Marvel themselves formed a partnership through the CIA themselves could advertise themselves on their Twitter (“we’re developing the future tech of Wakanda, today!”), etc.

Whether or not BotL’s arguments about Miles and his family being good representation in Spider-Verse are hostile or not, they’re certainly more conductive to discussion than an unverifiable story about one random child at a movie screening. The claim that people groaning at yet another singular anecdote used to heap praise on the movie are here to antagonize four-year-olds and/or black people is nothing short of ridiculous. Yes, everyone is aware that representation is good, we’re past that - it’s time to start talking about what that representation means and what kind of messages it carries for the people being represented. Again, I’m not defending BotL like some people are jumping to the conclusion of, but the thread has stopped at “having black people in movies is good” and refuses to have any discussion about how those black people are presented to the audience.

It’s good that the movie presents Miles and his multi-ethnic family sympathetically and as a normal part of American culture, and it’s good that these stories are being told in movies as mass-market as this one, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth shutting down all discussion of how accurate the representation is, or replacing it with something about some random kid.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This was dumb. Let me re-evaluate.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 8, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Man, there's a loooooot of b.s. to unpack in that post, PJ.

Like how hostile it feels for PoC to watch a bunch of people apply laser focus on the narrative dissonance in BP, or how kramering into a conversation with "hah, it's all a mass media marketing ploy :smug:" is an elementary observation in a Marvel property.

But what really takes the cake is the "We're just asking the Hard Questions" defense when folks are put off by someone dismissing a possible minority POV.

There's other things to discuss about the film -- how it's a Wounded King take with Peter B., Gwen being butt-kickass Empowered Woman, Liv being a perversion of the applications of science or Kingpin being a dark mirror to the Spiderclan's familial Loss narrative -- which can be done without coming across as a huge dismissive dick.

I can understand how it can be disheartening to see that kind of thing criticized, but how is it any different than criticizing a movie like The Help or Green Book? Those movies are certainly “representative” but the representation is absurdly poor. It’s not “laser focusing” to simply summarize the main story points of the movie. Wakanda is indeed a monarchy, you have to win a fight if someone challenges you for kingship, etcetera. These things inform a reading, there’s no use in denying that they’re true.

I’m not defending BotL, as I already said - if anything I’m defending ungulateman, who correctly pointed out that while there is, in fact, nothing wrong with a small fun anecdote, it’s being used in some kind of bizarre defense where people go overboard in the other direction of BotL’s word salad and are now saying the movie is good because of a small fun anecdote. BotL was not “asking the hard questions” and I never claimed that they were, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that representation shouldn’t be criticized just because it’s there.

I apologize for getting so heated earlier in the thread and if there’s more to hear on the subject, I would like to.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MrMojok posted:

There is nothing more SA than deciding that an upcoming movie is going to be garbage.

I feel like that has to have happened outside SA before.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Saw it a second time and near the end You can quickly tell that Miles is In the wrong dimension from how different the room is. His I taco NY sticker is replaced with an I Burger NY one and his back wall is filled with records like his Uncle had. More importantly though he has a drafting table, magnifying glass, soldering iron, and a schematic for the prowlers gauntlet right on the wall. After seeing all that I'm leaning towards him being an anti hero, whose loss of father and Aaron's influence, as well as his own lesser abilities without spider powers means his ability to fight crime effectively is reduced dramatically.

Also Rio's eyes are green in Earth-42 and brown in Earth-1610

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Been thinking about why Hobie would even bother to join an organization dedicated to maintaining order and stability and the only way I can square it is if he joined up to sabotage the spider society from the inside after seeing how Miguel's plan was the antithesis of Hobie's entire being.

If you pay attention during the scene where he’s talking to Miles right before they meet Miguel, he’s pulling various electronics off the walls and pocketing them or snapping them into each other. This is the moment where he’s building the portal-watch he later gives to Gwen. He even says to Miles something like “why join for a watch? Build your own.”

It’s very likely he joined just for access to the watch’s tech and quit immediately after Miles ran off because he had everything he needed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

egg tats posted:

also it's fun that gwen is a trans character I'm glad they made that into the movie

No, this theory sucks. Gwen is played by a cis actress and the only reason to be willing to forgo the justice ideal of “trans characters should not be played by cis actors” is fandom brain.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If a trans person relates to the themes presented by Gwen and her character arc in this movie, that's great. That is a completely different statement from "Gwen is a trans character."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

People who get angry about this are weird, what does it matter to you if people say it

It would be worse representation to have Gwen Stacy to turn out to be an actual trans woman due to being played by a cis actress. I don't understand how standing in objection to that is anger.

People say The Matrix is a "trans movie" due to its themes, and it even has several strong indicators to it such as Smith referring to Neo by a past name, but to go so far as to call Neo a "trans character" would be inaccurate. (Consider that Lana Wachowski said herself she didn't know she was a trans woman when making The Matrix, but upon a rewatch decades later thought "geez, how did I not know?") It's great if trans people find the themes of Gwen's character arc relatable, but going so far as to insist the character herself is trans is very different from saying there are trans themes, and once that boundary is crossed we need to factor in the performance that brings the character to life.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Some kind of expose has to come out on this. Knowing what we know now about the production of this film I’m starting to think the “alternate versions” are more about development issues getting worked out live rather than a fun Easter egg and the fact that it makes some scenes feel less “complete” only reinforces that. Lyla’s selfie is a great gag, why would you want a version of the movie that doesn’t have it?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Macaluso posted:

From what I've seen people say, the digital version is just the second cut they released when they fixed the audio issues. I think most people just saw the movie on opening weekend

The changes in the movie don’t line up to a theoretical second cut. I saw the film opening day with the unfixed audio and it still had Lyla’s selfie in it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Daduzi posted:

Counterpoint: Loki, Zemo, Killmonger, Namor, Hela, The Vulture, Mysterio, The Mandarin, The Mandarin, The Grand Evolutionary, and motherfucking Thanos.

Counterpoint: none of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The idea of naming the films “Across the Spider-Verse Part One and Two” was scrapped more than a year before release and only showed up on some merch and a single teaser. It’s more than reasonable for people to have not heard this was a two-parter.