Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pick posted:

Sort of except that I'm not even 100% sure the "real" Spider-Man is there (not totally sure if they're committed to fuckup Spiderman being "real" Spiderman)

when the device pulls through all the Spider-people there's a quick shot of numbered dimensions and 616 was on there.

My only very minor complaint was that the film didn't have time for a few of Pete's emotional beats, like he had zero reaction to seeing Gwen, but it's also not his story so it's understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, I don't follow the comics, but Miles and Gwen make a very cute prospective couple. Good job on their part laying the groundwork by establishing that she's only 15-something months older than him. Wasn't she like 25 to his 16 going on 17 in the comic?

When they had their big crossover in the comics Miles described Gwen as being "barely two years older than me," so she's around 18 or 19, and that storyline was all about the two of them potentially being a thing (it was called Sitting in a Tree), so the movie felt very true to that dynamic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

I can see it either way, pretty sure it's meant to be at least a little ambiguous. How long does he say he's been spider-man in the opening monolog?

Ten years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

People have pointed out the obvious easter egg movie posters like Clone College and From Dusk Til Shaun but I liked some of the goofier background details like water polo and horse racing being the big popular sports is different universes.

I never could get a good look, but was Steph Curry a golfer in Miles' dimension?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's 40 minutes of Chris Pine trying to sing Christmas songs as Spider-Man. How could it NOT be awesome?

Except Pine only sings on two of the tracks. Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, and Jorma Taccone sing on the other three. Which doesn't make it any less magical mind you

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I just read the synopsis to the comic book Spider-Verse titles and :stonk:

How they managed to pull together a good plot from that mess is a miracle of writing.

Honestly, it borrows more from the Spider-Men mini than anything, right down to the advice Peter gave Miles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Are there any fun alternate Venoms we can throw in? Gwenom?

Would you believe this is an accurate description of Spider-Gwen's current status quo in the comics?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I saw it on twitter but couldn't find it again, maybe the artist deleted it.

Here's one, maybe not the original, but it's still the same idea
https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1084990686892453888

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mameluke posted:

so you have to assume that the Matt Murdock Richard Fisk was from either Gwen or Peter B.'s universe,
Its Gwen's, Kingpin Matt Murdock was the main antagonist for the majority of her comic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zore posted:

Mostly a lot of stupid stuff in the original comic where they hid the relationship between Jefferson and Aaron for a dramatic reveal by having Jefferson go by Morales. And the white dude writer really didn't think through the implication of Jefferson's last name being Davis.

Aaron and Jeff being brothers is not a big dramatic reveal in the original Ultimate run.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? What issue was this?

That's a somewhat disingenuous reading of Ms. Marvel 13. Kamala's trying to get out the vote to stop hydra from winning a city election, and one of the people she runs into while canvassing is a cranky old man who says he hasn't voted since 1972 because "all politicians suck"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

modern comics are loving embarrassing

No, the embarrassing part is that Marvel published a get out the vote PSA comic on November 30 2016. :doh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The MSJ posted:

A lot of people apparently salty that Miguel calls the MCU "Earth-199999" in the trailer instead of the Feige-approved Earth-616 like in the MCU movies themselves. LOL

It's funny, I would've figured the opposite would be true. But also, if memory serves Peter B Parker is from Spiderverse's version of 616 so the designation was taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Feige's trying to usurp anything, it just rolls off the tongue better than 1999999, and has been in Easter Eggs all over the dang place in the films.