Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my god this movie was amazing. The moment the score and opening credits started up I was enthralled and it didn't let up until the terrible christmas carol and 60's animation after the credits. My only major criticism is the marketing people trying to gloss over the fact that there's a gross rear end in a top hat hidden on the soundtrack, everything else is magic. Miles is awesome, Gwen is awesome, Nic Cage spouting absurd 1930s detective slang is wonderful, John Mulaney as a cartoon pig is perfect, Peter "Nick Miller" Parker is great, the villains are all amazing (you'd never expect Jorma Taccone to be a good Green Goblin but he is wonderful, and the family drama is awesome. Mahershala Ali isn't given quite enough to do but he kills it with what he's given, ditto with Lily Tomlin.

I was 10 when the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie came out and it was the most exciting thing in the world to see my favorite comic book in live action on the big screen. Now, 16 years on, seeing a live-action comic book is boring but I hope there are a bunch of 10 year olds out there who watch this movie and get excited to see their favorite comic book in motion looking way better than live action ever could. Or even better, introduce an entire generation to Miles Morales, who is the perfect heir to the Spider-Man legacy.

(also, maybe it's just stereotyping based on the haircut but I kinda assumed Spider-Gwen was gay. Like, every Spider-Person has their Mary Jane, and hers is actually Mary Jane.)

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was your theater catching fire. NBD.

Pretty good way to die, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

honestly all of the villain designs are dope as hell. The ones that aren't vastly different from their comic counterparts (Kingpin, Prowler, Hammerhead) really emphasize their power and look stylish as hell, and the ones that are (Goblin, Scorpion, Ock) are still recognizably the character but with a lot of cool new ideas brought to the table.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

asecondduck posted:

He's probably Goblin because Rodney Rothman produced Popstar. Natalie Morales popping up as Miles' teacher was a nice surprise to me, I'm not sure if there was a similar reason why she was in the film but I appreciated it.

oh that was Natalie Morales? It sounded so much like Natasha Leggero that I assumed it was her and i must have missed that line in the credits.

Maybe Natalie got the part from Miles, they're probably related!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

when we get a sequel they ought to do some really crazy poo poo. i want to visit the different worlds they're all from. We got a dope hip-hop infused film score for Miles' world, I want a garage punk/riot girl-infused score for Gwen's, some classic detective music for Spider-Noir, and some Looney Tunes-rear end cartoon classical music for Spider-Ham. Maybe some Bryan Eno/Skrillex music for 2099, some Ben Folds for Nick Miller: Spider-Man, i can come up with days worth of this.

post-credits scene can be a Bollywood dance number starring Pavitr Prabhakar.

edit: or a quick joke about lego spider-man

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i've always thought this forum needed another SMG, but without the moments of insight that made having SMG around worth it

thanks BOTL

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i want to write the definitive Spiders-Man miniseries where his villain is a take on Swarm, but it's thousands of wasps that think they're human

and at the end of the series the thousands of wasps that think they're human get elected as senator of Texas

edit: the dancing in Spider-Man 3 is stellar. It's one of my favorite things that when Absolute Dork Peter Parker from the Raimi movies gets "infected" with an alien that makes him more morally flexible, he decides to become "cooler", which in the eyes of an Absolute Dork includes dancing down the street like a loon and basically turning into The Fonz

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 26, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spider-Man:

Spider-Man:

Spider-Man???

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vandar posted:

What is this in reference to?

i choose to believe in this world Kanye didn't go loving crazy and he and Chano released an album together before Coloring Book

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Slashfilm posted an article about how the movie represents the "power of art". the article itself is pretty good but the whole thing is a great excuse to marvel at how literally every frame of this movie looks beautiful.

also they talk a little bit more about the alternate frame movement stuff and pointed out another really brilliant little thing:

quote:

Eventually, once Miles rises to the occasion, his coming-into-Spider-hood is punctuated by him finally getting his own comic. The moment he arrives, all decked out in a sure-to-be-iconic look, the film even tweaks the way it presents him.

For the majority of the runtime, our heroes are brought to life in the vein of traditional cel animation, in which frames of characters were often repeated.
In technical terms, it’s animating movement “on two’s.”

This effect is re-created in Spider-Verse whenever Miles moves through space. The technique isn’t usually employed by CG animation, so its presence helps grant the film a unique visual aesthetic:

Occasionally, even as other Spider-characters move a frame at a time, Miles’ frames still double up — like he’s lagging behind the more seasoned heroes.

However, once when Miles finally takes his leap and harnesses his powers, the film presents him in slow-motion, which necessitates smoother movement. Both Miles and his surroundings begin progress at the same speed, and even when he isn’t slowed down (for instance, his free-fall), his movement is more harmonious, more in tune with the surrounding animation.

He feels like he belongs.

they specifically kept Miles animated on the twos for longer to represent his relative lack of Spider-person abilities. dope.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, I get that. Miles was great as he was, but his development felt a little too abridged.

this is very true (Miles is just a little too good at fighting in that final battle after how passive he'd been the entire movie), but also I can't imagine the movie without all those extra Spider-Men. They possibly could have made a movie with just Miles/Gwen and Peter B. but i think that the frantic pace and overstuffed nature do the movie a lot of good.

i watched this again last night and it's still a miracle. Right from the opening seconds with the production company tags it brings you into this world, and there's not a second in the movie where I'm not completely absorbed. It feels like Miles, it feels fresh and exciting and young and cool and full of heart and unabashedly dorky. The soundtrack is perfect, the casting is perfect, the look and feel are perfect, the score is perfect, it just doesn't look or sound like anything else in film.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the next movie is gonna have black/latino Spider-Man, Girl Spider-Man, Mexican/Irish Spider-Man and Pig Spider-Man going on time adventures

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the other way around, Power Rangers is (historically) kind of a Spider-Man show. :colbert:

Spider-Man (1978) : Kamen Rider :: Enter the Spiderverse : Power Rangers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sleeveless posted:

drat, another young rapper who makes nothing but songs about how they're depressed and they use drugs lost to Xanax. Rip in peace, juiceman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

hiddenriverninja posted:

I cannot get over how good the soundtrack and score are for this movie. I hope Daniel Pemberton comes back AND we get a hype-up-the-hero song better than What's Up, Danger.

it's a bummer that Black Panther's soundtrack gets all the attention because I like the Spiderverse soundtrack better. It's where I first heard Denzel Curry and Cordae, plus you've got Vince Staples, What's Up Danger, and the best single of 2018/19, Sunflower, which I will never ever tire of hearing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spider-man was already on the web before any of us.

hmm

checks out!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Dooooooooooooooope

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So my biggest concern is that the conflict feels a little reheated? Like the first movie was “miles gets powers but can’t use them properly and fucks something up which makes his Spider-compatriots say he’s not ready until he has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day” and a lot of that is echoed in the trailer. Miles wants to be a part of the Council of Spideys, Miguel clearly thinks he’s not ready, presumably after loving something up or wanting to gently caress something up, Miles has a realization about what it means to be Spider-Man, after which he saves the day. Even the notes of Gwen’s dialogue hit that same “I tried having a friend, he died, I don’t want to risk you dying too” thing. I trust that there will be more to it than that; Miguel appears to be the idealized version of what Miles wants to be, right down to speaking perfect Spanish that would presumably not earn a B and piss off his mom, and I assume Miles’ gently caress-up is slightly larger scale than crushing a USB drive and watching his Uncle die because Miles made his guard drop.

I think it would be a little hilarious if Spiderverse ended up doing roughly the same plot as Flashpoint (loving with time to bring a parent back) because I have to imagine it will be wildly more successful than The Flash at making that story interesting

Dinosaurs! posted:

A lot of the backgrounds in that trailer looked half-sketched or out of focus, almost like watching a 3D shot without the glasses. Obviously it’s intentional, but I recall into the spiderverse having a little more detail than that. I haven’t seen it in a couple years now, so maybe it’s the same and I forgot.

I think it’s because they’re going to so many different worlds rather than stickin in one. They’re going a lot more abstract with most of them because they’ve got a bajillion to get to.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think this one is gonna be about how you don’t have to measure yourself by anyone else to be a hero. They’re setting Miguel up to be “the Perfect Spider-Man” but it’s going to turn out he’s got his own flaws and that Miles doesn’t have to be the the Perfect Spider-Man to be a perfect Spider-Man or even a good man.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Danger posted:

The overall message of “gently caress canon” is a very very good moral for comic nerds and it’s amazing it’s baked in so hard here

Not just comic nerds, loving anyone who complains about inclusion in general. It’s fitting that this came so quickly after The Little Mermaid because it feels like a response to all of the people who suddenly care so much about accuracy in depiction of fairy-take/fictional characters only when they start being depicted as a minority. Miguel saying that Miles shouldn’t even exist in the first place and that if he is gonna exist at all he has to follow these very strict rules about how he acts, and having that be the thing that spurs Miles to action feels like the film is taking aim at prescriptivist media assholes talking about the right way to do inclusivity.

It also feels like a broader statement about the world more generally. Miguel’s big speech screams “BETTER THINGS AREN’T POSSIBLE” and him and Peter B and Jessica all taking the side of “well this is how it is and yes we have to let some people die but also good things come from suffering feels like “adults in the room” talking about climate change or student debt or any of the other issues that young people correctly see as life-or-death that older people say “well I had to deal with this and I came out fine, there’s no point in trying to change how things work.”

Edit: also hubie loving ruled all the way through. He first shows up and Miles being really jealous of his closeness to Gwen and instead of hubie thinking “ah gently caress this little kid” he instantly vibes with him. And as the movie goes on his whole bit gets a little stale and he keeps trying to burst the bubble of the Spider Society for Miles, almost to the point to me thinking he was gonna end up being an antagonist because I couldn’t figured out what he was doing there to begin with. But then he helps Miles escape and bounces, which is already cool, but it turns out he was there the whole time to reverse-engineer their tech and goes to help Gwen reunite with Miles. Punk as gently caress

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 5, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also the development of the Spot was incredible, you see him the first time and he’s just this awkward looking pale (possibly naked?) loser who has absolutely no confidence in himself and his power and you see him develop until he’s this fuckinf horror-comic being beyond reality made entirely of a substance that should not exist and whose only goal is to ruin Miles

Every time we got a clip of that black and white Spot-o-Vision was incredible. The artists really worked their asses off for every frame of this movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tea Party Crasher posted:

As far as the trans discussion goes, I just felt happy when I saw Gwen's "protect trans kids" poster.

I actually think that shot is from when she’s in Miles’ room, so it’s his poster. And her dad is wearing a lil trans flag on his badge too. The importance of being a good ally!

Also Gwen’s dad is objectively the best cop because he did the one good thing you can do when you’re a cop: quit being a cop

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

As for the To Be Continued, I get that a lot of people are upset about that now but I think that will fade once the second movie comes out. The only difference between this and Avengers or Harry Potter is that it wasn’t advertised explicitly as part one of two, but I think looking at this movie and thinking of everything we likely wouldn’t have gotten if it was just one film, I’d say it’s worth it. I imagine almost all of the Gwen stuff was added after that decision was made because in a 2.5 hour movie that has to start and finish the whole thing, there’s no room for that. They made the right call in the long run even if you annoy some people in the moment.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It's weaker than the first; too homogenous and no standout tracks.

Yeah, also IMO a little too much star power. The first one was great because it all felt like music miles would listen to rather than a curated soundtrack, and it had a few big names but also a lot of guys who were still in the process of blowing up or who are still pretty unknown. This one is just megastar after megastar (I mean it literally starts with Wayne and ends with Nas), which I get but also I don’t like quite as much.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

Its more subdued and moody but also more cohesive since its just the one producer, and I think that fits the film quite a bit. Honestly if I had to have a vinyl of one of the two I'd pick this sequels album first.

I disagree, the movie goes all these wild places and the soundtrack feels so plain by comparison. Where are my Mumbhattan beats? Get Swet Shop Boys (or even just Heems, poo poo) in there.

I think the soundtrack is better if you take out Danger, Hummingird, All The Way Live and one of the 21 Savage tracks and replace them with the bonus tracks, adds a little more variety to the album

Imagine having a Kenny Beats/Dominic Fike collab in your pocket and saying “nah I want old tired Future instead”

edit: I am eternally grateful that they still kept it kid-friendly. I played the first one so much at work because it was hip-hop that sounded modern but didn’t have swearing so you can play it for anyone. For my own personal enjoyment I don’t care but being able to bump good music around children is cool and fits perfectly with the movie itself

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 6, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Was Alt-Miles also voiced by Shameik Moore?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Everyone is pissed off about the cliffhanger now but I guarantee you no one will care the second Beyond comes out

Also Infinity War ended on one of the most hilarious cliffhangers how are we forgetting this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If there is one lesson to be learned from Amazing Spider-Man 2 it’s “don’t kill Gwen, moron”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/__chrislee/status/1672230751394476034?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This feels unsurprising but also a huge bummer. The mismanagement aspect is interesting, it looks like there was a period of time when very little work was being done because Phil Lord kept futzing with the layouts which meant that when everything was ready it all came at once. A frustrating environment to work in.

Also no way Beyond is out in March, at this point any time next year will seem like a miracle if this quote is accurate

quote:

They’ve announced that Beyond the Spider-Verse will be released in March of next year. I’ve seen people say, “Oh, they probably worked on it at the same time.” There’s no way that movie’s coming out then. There’s been progress on the pre-production side of things. But as far as the production side goes, the only progress that’s been made on the third one is any exploration or tests that were done before the movie was split into two parts. Everyone’s been fully focused on Across the Spider-Verse and barely crossing the finish line. And now it’s like, Oh, yeah, now we have to do the other one.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

People who get angry about this are weird, what does it matter to you if people say it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone else get Madonna, Hung Up from that?

Lol I actually thought it sounded like the riff from Gimme Gimme Gimme, so you’re not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tom Holland should retire and be Mr. Zendaya for the rest of his life, I honestly would rather be that than a working actor