Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Danger posted:

The color scheme does a ton of heavy lifting in this movie especially, it's wonderful. Her world is taken directly out of her comics but her color scheme is specifically some fusion of bisexual lighting and reminiscent of the trans flag. During her emotional climax with her dad her hair overtly takes on the colors of the flag, after reconciling with her dad (in the conversation of how she can only ever show half of herself to him) his badges blur into a trans flag. Early in the film she is framed underneath a trans flag that reads "Protect Trans Kids".
This is all in the context of the central premise of the movie: gently caress canon, you can be who you want to be.

Miles is constantly in bisexual lighting too. And he gets the “We love and accept you!” imaginary scene, which is very coded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

massive spider posted:

The amazing thing about this movies visuals to me is how it gets you to buy into it a little at a time until PS4 rendered Spider-Man is there next to actual human Donald Glover and it’s like yeah sure ok and then a lot of things are happening which are just pure expressionistic visual metaphor (the colours of Gwen world changing with the mood, Miles thoughts and fears just being waking dream sequences) but it works.

Some parts of it are so visually chaotic but then for some scenes it’s not afraid to just slow right down and sit in a moment either.

Scenes in Mile's chapter feel very Mamoru Oshii to me, where the film is just in full decompress mode and soundlessly juxtaposing the characters against the gorgeous environments.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Gorgeous movie but this thing isn’t finished.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

DC Murderverse posted:

The only difference between this and Avengers or Harry Potter is that it wasn’t advertised explicitly as part one of two
why is that, I wonder?

As I was watching the movie I had a vague memory of the part1/2 thing but wasn't sure whether it was really happening or not. In the last 30 minutes it became more obvious to me it was happening so I wasn't surprised.

Are people not gonna see the movie if they call it "part 1" or otherwise explain when it will conclude in the marketing? Seems like it would do a wonder on setting audience expectations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DourCricket posted:

I thought they did the thing with Gwen's dad at the beginning to... contrast sharply with how Jefferson would take the reveal from Miles at the end of the movie but I'm kinda glad Gwen got some real resolution in this film. Especially since Miles' story is mid-cliffhanger

Literally had the same feeling.
glad someone said it, I was really feeling put off with the "oh cops are just regular folks like you and me, humble workers who are fun and goofy and well meaning!" feel and the prevalence of copdads(one is already enough/too much), so it was nice for one of the copdads to evolve into just dad

DoctorWhat posted:

Gwen's dad is the only good cop in every universe, one way or another
lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ehhhhhh this is different from Avengers. Avengers didn't end on a cliffhanger, it was pretty definitive. The story was fully told and the battle was over, the good guys lost.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

MJeff posted:

Ehhhhhh this is different from Avengers. Avengers didn't end on a cliffhanger, it was pretty definitive. The story was fully told and the battle was over, the good guys lost.
I think in the context of a superhero story "we battled the bad guy and we lost and it's hosed up now" is only definitive if you're planning the next years long arc as "Phase 4: When Everything Is hosed Up Now"

everyone knew they were gonna win eventually so stopping on the not-winning point is still a cliffhanger

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Do you think Miles will pull Spider Ham's hammer out of his pocket at some point or do you think that is just a one time joke that won't be referenced again. He gets the hammer from Spider Ham at the end of the movie and is told that it'll fit in his pocket.

Normally I would just assume it's a joke that will never be brought up again, but Phil Lord and Chris Miller love doing that kind of poo poo. You can see it happen with several things in Spiderverse, but also things like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs where they set up the spray on shoes as a joke early in the movie but then is the thing Flint uses to defeat the machine at the end

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DoctorWhat posted:

:golfclap:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macaluso posted:

Do you think Miles will pull Spider Ham's hammer out of his pocket at some point or do you think that is just a one time joke that won't be referenced again. He gets the hammer from Spider Ham at the end of the movie and is told that it'll fit in his pocket.

Normally I would just assume it's a joke that will never be brought up again, but Phil Lord and Chris Miller love doing that kind of poo poo. You can see it happen with several things in Spiderverse, but also things like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs where they set up the spray on shoes as a joke early in the movie but then is the thing Flint uses to defeat the machine at the end
there's literally a footnote text box that pops up for a split second explaining the concept of Hammerspace in this movie, which is hilarious, but also means there's a decent chance it'll actually come into play at some point.

guessing Spider-Ham will say "hey Miles, remember that thing I gave ya?" in the third movie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Thoughts on the soundtrack? So far I like the first movie soundtrack better with What’s up Danger and Sunflower and some others. Annihilate and Am I Dreaming (credits song) are good stuff off this one.

Original score is great, with Gwen’s theme being tons of rock fun and Miles still has the heroic hip hop mix. All the chase music is energetic. Also love how first and last song mirror each other (the drumming), but the final version has more of the other themes mixed in as “the band” is formed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's weaker than the first; too homogenous and no standout tracks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

there's literally a footnote text box that pops up for a split second explaining the concept of Hammerspace in this movie, which is hilarious, but also means there's a decent chance it'll actually come into play at some point.

guessing Spider-Ham will say "hey Miles, remember that thing I gave ya?" in the third movie

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that and jumping to Justin Hammer instead of Spider-Pig's mallet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gaius Marius posted:

It's weaker than the first; too homogenous and no standout tracks.

Yeah, also IMO a little too much star power. The first one was great because it all felt like music miles would listen to rather than a curated soundtrack, and it had a few big names but also a lot of guys who were still in the process of blowing up or who are still pretty unknown. This one is just megastar after megastar (I mean it literally starts with Wayne and ends with Nas), which I get but also I don’t like quite as much.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

DoctorWhat posted:

Jesus dude.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually think that shot is from when she’s in Miles’ room, so it’s his poster. And her dad is wearing a lil trans flag on his badge too. The importance of being a good ally!

Also Gwen’s dad is objectively the best cop because he did the one good thing you can do when you’re a cop: quit being a cop

Everyone is badged up; the movie is basically begging the anti-woke/RW to go after it; pro LBGT+ stuff, Miles having a prominent BLM sticker, etc.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TBH, I’m surprised we haven’t already seen culture war bullshit start over it yet

mystes
May 31, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

TBH, I’m surprised we haven’t already seen culture war bullshit start over it yet
I think if the first movie came out now, chuds would be foaming at the mouth about how they took their children to it knowing nothing about it and were shocked that it had characters that weren't white or something, but it's probably harder to do that shtick when it's a sequel

I think there were some people getting offended that it had a pregnant woman or something after the last trailer though

Maybe in a few more weeks they'll figure out how to get outraged about it though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Harvey Dent explained it perfectly in TDK!

Regalingualius posted:

They don't attack successful things. It's all about "winning," not about a real ideology, so they will go after Little Mermaid for underperforming due to a black lead, but won't go after highly rated, overperforming Spider-verse with a mostly black and Latin cast, LGBT themes, and BLM stickers because it's doing too well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

checkplease posted:

Thoughts on the soundtrack? So far I like the first movie soundtrack better with What’s up Danger and Sunflower and some others. Annihilate and Am I Dreaming (credits song) are good stuff off this one.

Original score is great, with Gwen’s theme being tons of rock fun and Miles still has the heroic hip hop mix. All the chase music is energetic. Also love how first and last song mirror each other (the drumming), but the final version has more of the other themes mixed in as “the band” is formed.

Its more subdued and moody but also more cohesive since its just the one producer, and I think that fits the film quite a bit. Honestly if I had to have a vinyl of one of the two I'd pick this sequels album first.

My standouts are Danger, Calling, Silk & Cologne, Link Up and Self Love. Link Up as used in the film especially is one of my favorite sequences.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Sharkopath posted:

My standouts are Danger…

Thank you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sharkopath posted:

Its more subdued and moody but also more cohesive since its just the one producer, and I think that fits the film quite a bit. Honestly if I had to have a vinyl of one of the two I'd pick this sequels album first.

I disagree, the movie goes all these wild places and the soundtrack feels so plain by comparison. Where are my Mumbhattan beats? Get Swet Shop Boys (or even just Heems, poo poo) in there.

I think the soundtrack is better if you take out Danger, Hummingird, All The Way Live and one of the 21 Savage tracks and replace them with the bonus tracks, adds a little more variety to the album

Imagine having a Kenny Beats/Dominic Fike collab in your pocket and saying “nah I want old tired Future instead”

edit: I am eternally grateful that they still kept it kid-friendly. I played the first one so much at work because it was hip-hop that sounded modern but didn’t have swearing so you can play it for anyone. For my own personal enjoyment I don’t care but being able to bump good music around children is cool and fits perfectly with the movie itself

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 6, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I disagree, the movie goes all these wild places and the soundtrack feels so plain by comparison. Where are my Mumbhattan beats? Get Swet Shop Boys (or even just Heems, poo poo) in there.

I think the soundtrack is better if you take out Danger, Hummingird, All The Way Live and one of the 21 Savage tracks and replace them with the bonus tracks, adds a little more variety to the album

Imagine having a Kenny Beats/Dominic Fike collab in your pocket and saying “nah I want old tired Future instead”

edit: I am eternally grateful that they still kept it kid-friendly. I played the first one so much at work because it was hip-hop that sounded modern but didn’t have swearing so you can play it for anyone. For my own personal enjoyment I don’t care but being able to bump good music around children is cool and fits perfectly with the movie itself

I like it since the films score is where it uses all the different sounds and motifs of all the different characters and locations and smashes them together in a huge energetic frenzy. The soundtrack pieces instead are mostly playing in quieter introspective places which fits what I see as a main theme of the film, the exploration of who you really are and how you became that way. They also do a good job of matching the themes of the songs to the themes of the action on film. IE hummingbird being a plaintive croon for a lost friend while Miles is thinking about being the most alone, and Link Up being both a song about connecting with others and being unsure of your own romantic feelings

Also agree about it just being good music you can play cleanly, its cool. I remember the nontroversy though when the original film came out of how dare the producers use rappers that also swear in their other songs, think of the children etc.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 6, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Regalingualius posted:

You’ve got a bunch of the usual right wing nerd Twitter chuds like Nerdrotic calling it the Miles Morales movie, refusing to call him Spider-Man. It’s honestly pathetic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

You’ve got a bunch of the usual right wing nerd Twitter chuds like Nerdrotic calling it the Miles Morales movie, refusing to call him Spider-Man. It’s honestly pathetic.
Well I guess he should like Miguel then

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Miles is constantly in bisexual lighting too. And he gets the “We love and accept you!” imaginary scene, which is very coded.

I find it hard to read the "being a super-hero is just the same as coming out stuff" as explicitly queer, I feel like Buffy and the X-Men movies have just made it a genre trope. It's in conversation with queerness, sure, but I can't read it as a hint towards the characters' sexualities.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s not a conversation about their explicit sexualities, it’s proposing it as an analogy. I’d love a bi Miles on screen, but even I know that’s not happening.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I find it hard to read the "being a super-hero is just the same as coming out stuff" as explicitly queer, I feel like Buffy and the X-Men movies have just made it a genre trope. It's in conversation with queerness, sure, but I can't read it as a hint towards the characters' sexualities.

XMen is one of the main inventors of the whole analogy since the whole comic was about Civil Rights and the analogy gradually shifts over time to who the main focus of civil rights is at the time.

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 6, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DC Murderverse posted:

As for the To Be Continued, I get that a lot of people are upset about that now but I think that will fade once the second movie comes out. The only difference between this and Avengers or Harry Potter is that it wasn’t advertised explicitly as part one of two, but I think looking at this movie and thinking of everything we likely wouldn’t have gotten if it was just one film, I’d say it’s worth it. I imagine almost all of the Gwen stuff was added after that decision was made because in a 2.5 hour movie that has to start and finish the whole thing, there’s no room for that. They made the right call in the long run even if you annoy some people in the moment.

left on a better note than dune 1 at least

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

wish when Beyond happens, some theaters would do a double screening back to back of Into/Beyond with like a 15min intermission in between. would be all for it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GateOfD posted:

wish when Beyond happens, some theaters would do a double screening back to back of Into/Beyond with like a 15min intermission in between. would be all for it.
they probably will? a lot of theaters were doing all of the guardians of the galaxy movies together when the new one opened, for example

personally I'd probably just watch this one again a few days earlier at home since I don't want to spend 5 hours in a movie theater though

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I wonder if they'll do a Whole Bloody Affair style cut. The extended cut on the ITSV blu-ray is pretty great so I wouldn't be opposed to it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GateOfD posted:

They did this in my hometown at least! Into the Spiderverse and Across the Spiderverse back to back...except it was on Saturday and I wanted to watch it day 1 so I skipped it. Did a similar thing with GotG too, except that one happened opening night, in the middle of the week, and well....I wasn't willing to stay out till around 3am with morning work looming

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is absolutely absurd how much the Spiderverse films style (quite literally) over pretty much every other 3D movie out there. It's genuinely embarassing to see the previews for Elemental and go "oh yeah same basic art style of bland nothingness" and then go directly in the opening sequence which is some of the most jaw-dropping stunningly beautiful animation I can recall seeing.

I don't know if this is weird to say but man did Gwen's scenes feel heavily trans-coded. I mean there's a literal 'protect Trans kids' sticker in her room but they literally drape her in the color of the trans flag multiple times and I feel like in the final sequence with her dad his badge-spot also ends up looking exactly like the flag. I'm not sure if it's as intentional as it seems since 'superhero coded as queer' is pretty old hat but man in conjunction with the whole 'gently caress canon' aspect of the plot it just stood out.

And I really hope they live up to the 'gently caress canon' part of the plot. The fact that the 'plot hole' appeared seems like a warning but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't as clear cut. I'd *much* rather the movie come away with the viewpoint of "You are who you are and who you are proud to be and nobody can tell you that you're 'fake' or 'not real' or that you have to endure the same tragedies they did or your experiences aren't valid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Artelier posted:

They did this in my hometown at least! Into the Spiderverse and Across the Spiderverse back to back...except it was on Saturday and I wanted to watch it day 1 so I skipped it. Did a similar thing with GotG too, except that one happened opening night, in the middle of the week, and well....I wasn't willing to stay out till around 3am with morning work looming

Yeah, back in 2008, my best friend, our spouses and I did midnight premieres of The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

But that was 15 years ago. He's now 50, I'm pushing 39. We're too old for that poo poo nowadays.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It is absolutely absurd how much the Spiderverse films style (quite literally) over pretty much every other 3D movie out there. It's genuinely embarassing to see the previews for Elemental and go "oh yeah same basic art style of bland nothingness" and then go directly in the opening sequence which is some of the most jaw-dropping stunningly beautiful animation I can recall seeing.

I don't know if this is weird to say but man did Gwen's scenes feel heavily trans-coded. I mean there's a literal 'protect Trans kids' sticker in her room but they literally drape her in the color of the trans flag multiple times and I feel like in the final sequence with her dad his badge-spot also ends up looking exactly like the flag. I'm not sure if it's as intentional as it seems since 'superhero coded as queer' is pretty old hat but man in conjunction with the whole 'gently caress canon' aspect of the plot it just stood out.

And I really hope they live up to the 'gently caress canon' part of the plot. The fact that the 'plot hole' appeared seems like a warning but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't as clear cut. I'd *much* rather the movie come away with the viewpoint of "You are who you are and who you are proud to be and nobody can tell you that you're 'fake' or 'not real' or that you have to endure the same tragedies they did or your experiences aren't valid.

Funny thing is that Pixar stuff is technically leagues ahead, often, and groundbreaking in the field of CG...but since they're typically pursuing figuring out how to, say, render elements better than have ever been rendered before, instead of just going for pure art design, something like this will visually make most people more blown away.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Darko posted:

Funny thing is that Pixar stuff is technically leagues ahead, often, and groundbreaking in the field of CG...but since they're typically pursuing figuring out how to, say, render elements better than have ever been rendered before, instead of just going for pure art design, something like this will visually make most people more blown away.

it's all of this: https://graphics.pixar.com/library/

vs

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: just deleting just in case since spoiler tags weren't working on my phone.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 6, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PageMaster posted:

I'm actually glad the thread spoiled me on this so I could pass on watching in the theatre this week. As much as I was looking forward to it, I really can't stomache dropping two+ hours with no conclusion, but a definite digital order before the next movie for sure!

I will say that I can understand your viewpoint but holy crap am I glad I saw this on a big screen. Like I could have turned off the audio and just watched two hours of the visuals and still got my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Saw it again last night and I guess the theater workers took the sound comments to heart because they cranked the speakers all the way up to the point it was painfully loud. Several people got up to complain and then it got down to a more normal level.