Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As someone that really liked Homecoming, this movie was unquestionably the best spider-man movie and quite possibly the best superhero movie of all time. The latter I'm still chewing, but off the top of my head there isn't one that had nearly the same combination of emotional appeal, underlying message, and humor. Not to mention it's insanely good looking!

I'm gonna try to convince the family to see it as our holiday movie, maybe even in actual 3D.

I do wish Noir / Ham / Penny had a bit more to do? Movie was stuffed full as it was, though.

I have hope for spinoff movies, but I also suspect there's a good chance they're all straight-to-streaming cash ins without anywhere close to the same budget. Fingers crossed, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

They've already confirmed plans for a direct sequel focused on Miles and Gewn, in addition to a spinoff centered on Gwen teaming up with two other spider-women. After the success of this film, I doubt either will be relegated to the streaming ghetto.

They've confirmed that they're making them, but if they're full theatrical releases or the modern equivalent of straight-to-DVD, who knows. A direct Miles and Gwen sequel might make it to the big screen, but the spider-ladies one feels a lil' more dubious. Not that I want it to be! I'd see 'em all at this point.

And yeah if B Parker comes back I want him to be even older and have May around.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

ending spoilers

I'd assumed the 616 universe mentioned on the readout earlier in the movie was Miguel. isn't he from the 616, just its future?

They've been a little cagey about this. 2099 is both Earth-928 as well as future 616, I assume to give them wiggle room if something goes really pear shaped in either timeline. Either way, I wouldn't assume anything is comics-canon until it comes up in the actual comics.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also didn't the spider's corpse 'glitch out' when Miles went back to look at it, or am I misremembering?

It 100% did. Also, Alchemax is a direct reference to the 2099 canon -- the name of the company was not made up for this movie, and though Kingpin is involved with it in the 616 version it's not necessarily a direct connection (it's actually more related to Osborn.)

I think KP's collider is a lower tech version of whatever Miguel is messing with in the future, and KP managed to poke into the spiderverse only because the barriers between realities were softened by Alchemax-2099 somehow. One thing we never really get an explanation for is why the collider grabbed spiderpeople specifically -- theoretically, it should have been going for KP's family.

I'm also a little suspicious of Aunt May's underground spider-fort -- She apparently has some amount of cross-universe knowledge already? Where did the spider car and bike and all the uniforms come from? Is there a cabal of spiderpeople already doing stuff 'verse wide? We can assume that the original universe's Peter Parker was dead set against the supercollider running because he figured out for himself that it would break reality, but I think there's plenty of room open for it to have been someone else pointing it out...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh right! Well, the rest still stands. And yeah, I remember the hair in the second running, I just forgot about Pete's head getting stuck in on the first one.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I don't think so, I think that is all just the property of that universe's Spider-man. Those are all just different suits he's used during the years, and he had those vehicles at one point in the past as well

I can see it either way, pretty sure it's meant to be at least a little ambiguous. How long does he say he's been spider-man in the opening monolog? I also thought when Miles goes back to see her and she's in the chair downstairs she had a real Madame Web vibe -- but this also might just be me way overthinking.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

The goblin stuck Spider-Man’s head in the collider which is why it sucked in other spider people. On the second run they are using a hair from Kingpin’s wife to hone in on them instead. I don’t know that a spider god is necessary here.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Radioactive spider blood.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

If there’s a hero there’s a venom-hero. There was even a recent event about this I think:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 27, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I too missed a tiny bit a dialog with Gwen at the very start and some of Hobie's so maybe the mixing was a little off but it wasn't a huge problem throughout.

Fantastic time in the theater. Went in remembering vaguely that there's a third but I didn't realize the end would be so abrupt. Especially without a mid-credits stinger to soften the blow a little it did create a kind of weird energy as people walked out. Gobsmackingly gorgeous, if you're skimming this for general reactions I think this is one to see as big and loud as soon as possible.

So for three... I bet we start with Miguel's spin on the "let's do this one more time" and get his backstory to echo Gwen's in this. Time to start setting up some sort of redemption arc for him. I'm pretty suspicious of his whole explanation but don't know if he is legit mistaken about the cause and effect or being willfully blind because he blames himself for not doing enough or failing in some way.

There was a little interaction between him and Peter B in the conversation about canon that made me think Peter B was witness to the events or it had happened in his reality? But nothing came of it.

I wonder if non-canon spiderpeople might lose access to the spiderVERSE, or their existence weakens the web as a whole? But I don't think that the fabric of the universe rests on Parker Luck, because that's just too depressing a message for a series with impeccable writing.

We're gonna spend some more time in the world without spiderman, maybe get some backstory of the prowler there for Miles to chew on? The -- was it sinister six syndicate? gives some things for the spider gang to punch. Maybe they get ahold of some tech so we can have a multiversal team up; we've had TONS of spiderpeople but besides the small segment here not much from the rogue's gallery.

They win they all go home and beat up spot, but all this together doesn't feel like enough threads for another 2 hours...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

You know...

Miguel is the Spanish version of Michael.

Miguel has some vampire stuff going on.

There's a spiderman adjacent vampire named Michael.

Are we being Morbed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Captain Jesus posted:

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong (because I can't remember this part all that well), Miguel THINKS HE destroyed that universe because he wanted to replace another version of himself that died and because he wanted to have a family. He thought it was ok, but HE BELIEVES it had catastrophic results. This mirrors the story of Kingpin in the first movie, not Miles.

Added an important correction that is imo the crux of the whole thing.