Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I guess I'll just post what I posted in the animation thread

Macaluso posted:

Holy loving poo poo man. There is no hyperbole in what people are saying about Spiderverse. It's incredible. Everything about it, the things it does with animation puts everything else to shame. I'm sitting here just in awe at what I watched.

One thing storywise that I really loved was immediately upon meeting Hobie (Spider Punk) he's 100% on Miles' side, thinks he's great, and he's never not on his side. He even just straight up quits the spider club when they try to imprison Miles. Then of course he's the reason that Gwen is going to be able to save Miles in the next movie at all. The previews seemed to really play up the possible love triangle between Hobie, Miles and Gwen, but the movie never goes further than Miles being a little nervous about Gwen liking him. Which again sort of goes out the window when the two of them meet and Hobie is an instant friend to Miles.

The expanded stuff with Gwen was great too, loved seeing her story. Even the movie the movie is technically about Miles, this one is also pretty equally about Gwen, which I'm glad of because I like her character a lot. I felt like jumping up and down in my seat in that final shot where Gwen was about to head off to save Miles with all the other Spider Friends that Miles made during the course of the movie and last movie (Peni, Spider Noir, and Spiderham are all there. They don't have any speaking roles except for one line from Peni). It felt like seeing all the Avengers together or the portal scene from Endgame. That's how hype it felt

Seeing all the alternate Spider Mans (and villains) was very fun (there are a few live action cameos) and the villain is awesome. What they do with the villain is amazing too, how did they do it?? Christ!!

I'm so so excited for the third one. Seriously Across the Spiderverse just knocks out of the park so hard. There's a million other things I could say about the movie probably but those are the really big things.

Macaluso posted:

The backgrounds were constantly cool and none of the dimensions looked the same because of it. This was especially noticeable when Miles ends up in the wrong universe. They do a lot of showing the world Miles lives in at the beginning, with sweeping shots of the city, and the swinging around segment with Gwen. So when Miles ends up in dimension 42 at the end, when he's running around swinging trying to get home, the viewer can instantly tell something is wrong. The colors aren't right, the vibe of the city isn't right. I mean astute viewers will easily know he throws himself into the wrong dimension anyway because they know the spider isn't from his own. But it's especially clear when he's going through the city and everything is off. Granted it also goes back and forth between him and Gwen and you can see the differences that way too, but I think even if they didn't do that, you would be able to tell that something is wrong after he returns "home"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

GateOfD posted:

what was the running jokes about with MIles costume and a bunch asking if he's breathing thru his armpits

I thought that's what it was too, but I realized later in the movie that they were actually saying "bleeding". Because of the red on his costume

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Haven't felt a more negative vibe leaving the theatre in a long time. Audience literally booed. No idea why the critics love this

Is this audience that booed and hated the movie in the room with us right now?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Do you think Miles will pull Spider Ham's hammer out of his pocket at some point or do you think that is just a one time joke that won't be referenced again. He gets the hammer from Spider Ham at the end of the movie and is told that it'll fit in his pocket.

Normally I would just assume it's a joke that will never be brought up again, but Phil Lord and Chris Miller love doing that kind of poo poo. You can see it happen with several things in Spiderverse, but also things like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs where they set up the spray on shoes as a joke early in the movie but then is the thing Flint uses to defeat the machine at the end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I should really watch the first one again. I just heard someone say "remember when miles got bitten by the spider in the first movie, and it glitched out right before? huh, wasn't that WEIRD?!" and man that's so true, I completely forgot about that, and I'm sure there's tons of other little foreshadowing tidbits.

There's also the thing I've seen brought up alot, which is when Miles and his universe's Peter meet for the first time after Miles has been bitten, they both do a spidey sense thing at each other, but Miles' spidey sense colors start off green and purple and then fade into red and blue.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I did wonder about the vampire stuff. I'm really curious what they're going to do with Miguel because he was absolutely about to bite into The Vulture at the beginning of the movie before the helicopter hit them with the spotlight. I don't believe they're trying to do a full on villain thing with him, but the vampire aspects seem to be brought up for a reason

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally just part of the character. His fangs contain a paralyzing neurotoxin which he was probably trying to use

Ah well there you go. Yeah, I am completely unfamiliar with Spiderman 2099

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Speaking of Miguel, I need this to happen:

https://twitter.com/princessxemnas/status/1668100900022304768?s=46&t=AetWNzVtmuQD8ipxc8Y3Pw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

goblin week posted:

Who was the spider woman with a huge rear end

Miguel O'Hara

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Miles is cool and Gwen is cool. That's why I bought their skins in Fortnite

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

You will only take Mumbattan and Pavitr Prabhakar from my cold dead hands.

Wait who is suggesting to cut either of those things, they're some of the best parts of the movie, I'll fuckin fight about this, bring it on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wile E Smorales

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Lego Spider-Man is completely different in the digital version vs the movie too.

Wha? In what way?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That's... weird. It's funnier with his mask on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DeafNote posted:

Thats... not in the digital version I saw.

Oh no :lol:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

From what I've seen people say, the digital version is just the second cut they released when they fixed the audio issues. I think most people just saw the movie on opening weekend

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gwen did nothing wrong :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thanos was cool and I'm glad they didn't do the stupid death thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Edit: oh I was too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The animation in that is awesome as usual. It feels more like a deleted scene than a short film though to be honest.