Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So do Betazeds get psionic abilities? I saw a couple traits on the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How do the Kzinti work exactly? They have a fairly distinctive history with humans I don't see porting over well.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is there a main thread for this game? I'm debating trying to start it.

Also can you use the alien creator to make a Necron?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

Also a quick reminder that in the next month or so we'll be needing a couple of goons with vaguely canonical characters to join in a space and ground Task Force Operation. Unlike Bug Hunt, we hopefully shouldn't emerge from this one with a failed mission and a stack of injuries.

I'm installing this for some dumb reason, we'll see if I can level my dude to help you out I guess?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are people still recruiting for more players to back them up for the LP? Just hit 55.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

Absolutely yes, with the caveats that my scheduling is a bit inconsistent and you'll need to be available at AEST-friendly times (roughly now or two or three hours earlier) to record content.

I can make the time, hope you don't mind a Reman in a Khopesh!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Weren't the Tholians and Federation on fairly good terms? I remember Sisko talking about the Tholian ambassador a lot on DS9, with the implication he never appeared because of the budget.

Then STO basically made them into cartoonish bad guys because writing is hard.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

F

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You are seriously tempting me to reinstall this game so I can send more Romulan fighter pilots to their deaths. Need a Khopesh?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Seriously, shooting people who got sucked into a black hole is so much easier than taking your slow dreadnought and finding people to shoot.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea I kinda wish you could join the Kobali attackers instead.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cythereal posted:

So, for anyone following along who hasn't put the pieces together at the end, don't worry. Next week will be a special update that will, among other things, go over what exactly has been happening. As it is, there's another space combat part after where I ended the mission, I just thought it narratively ended better there.

I should also clarify, none of what I'm writing about T'Kara sympathizing with the Na'khul or believing she's in any way responsible for what's happening is from the game itself. The game itself gives you no opportunities to sympathize with the Na'khul or criticize the time cops, and never puts any responsibility on the PC's shoulders beyond ranting genocidal bad guys.

I like this story arc, but it's not the first time I've felt like STO's writers weren't aware of the implications of what they were writing.

STO's writing in general suffers from the general MMO thing where the PC is usually along for the ride while people come up with bad ideas you are sent in to carry out. Does it make sense to sympathize with the Na'kuhl? Sure, I'm not slamming your writing, but when I played through the arc it was very "oh, I never had a chance to stop the Tox Uthat despite my antiproton beams tearing up the enemy ships super fast, welp, guess we do the vaguely guilty thing where we failed the Na'kuhl. Oh, they're all evil? And it's that Temporal Cold War poo poo from Enterprise? Sure, why not."

The entire arc makes no sense as to why you're able to do anything, as your ship is at least 300 years out of date and should be completely destroyed in combat against future craft. I know you can get Future Ships from the C-store, but as I recall they all carry the explanation that most of the cool future technology was stripped out and you have to use the same shields and weapons as everyone else. Heck, it was strongly implied in the first JJ Abrams star trek that Nero's ship was so strong because he had future missiles, so I have absolutely no idea how you're supposed to fight any of these future ships and win. It's just a bad idea all around.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The game hating Tholians is really weird to me when Sisko was constantly chilling with the "Tholian Ambassador" offscreen on DS9.

I do like the idea that there are consequences from loving around with time casually in the Iconian War, but you're not getting anything interesting out of the Na'kuhl because the Temporal Cold War was a loving stupid idea when it was introduced in Enterprise and it's a stupid idea now.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. You get the Enterprise down to about 90% before she runs away.

STO really does not like you killing named bad guys.

Edit: Now that I think about it... for a game with such an emphasis on space combat, and it being the part of the game that people tend to like most, I cannot name a single named bad guy that goes down in a big space battle with their tricked-out flagship. There's a couple of Borg Queens but they don't count in my book. Everyone else, they contrive a reason to board their ship or fight on foot in a neutral locale if they even bother letting you fight them at all.

I believe the Community Manager gets very upset when people ask why you can't blow away J'ula or whatever.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I legitimately thought Daniels was the envoy

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Admiral Leeta seems like she should be a funny joke. It's Leeta from DS9, but she's an evil warlord, because every time a Trek Writer utters the words "mirror universe" we know we're in for a bad time. The writers have no idea what to do with her, so she shows up in two TFOS (the DS9 vs evil DS9 battle AND the one where she gets possessed by Pah Wraiths or whatever) mostly to eat antiproton cannon fire and then gently caress off after wasting legions of expensive Terran empire ships that make her uniquely vulnerable to being shot to pieces by another more competent admiral.

Who the hell knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'd offer to do the Discovery missions but I'm already running two other LPs.

While the Discovery stuff probably deserves my usual mockery as we go back and analyze Discovery Season 1 and mock it, it's just not interesting ultimately and Cryptic seems to have come away with the opposite message of what all Star Trek is saying, even Discovery. Oh well!