Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Have you ever been someplace awesome where you should be having the time of your life but all you can feel is sad because someone special isn't there to share it with you?

Right now I'm in Ngee Ann City shopping center, Singapore which is basically my favorite place on the entire planet, but my wife's not here and I'm super bummed she's missing it.

Feel free to share either your personal stories of being sad when you should be happy or also stories of a visit to Singapore you might have made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bittersweet? Ambivalent? CLOWN?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There are 1200 restaurants within 100 yards of me and all I can do is mope like a sad sack.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JebanyPedal posted:

Bittersweet? Ambivalent? CLOWN?

Those aren't German words.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bitterßweet. Ambivalensch.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applewhite posted:

Those aren't German words.

They're German I said them in German and translated into English.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Autistisch?
klinisch depressiv?
Gelangweilt?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Flannelette posted:

Autistisch?
klinisch depressiv?
Gelangweilt?

Autistisch sounds right. I dunno what it means but it's got a nice ring to it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lonely

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
fluffernutter

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Hangry

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It’s just a shopping centre man

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is capitalist stooge what you’re looking for?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yeah that's probably it, actually.

It's effed up that loneliness should be able to override the joy of being in the largest english bookstore in the eastern hemisphere.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

realbez posted:

Eat my rear end. Even communists like books and restaurants.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it is unlikely that you are missing your wife or you would have not have left her behind

most people dislike an abundance of choice. it's likely that you don't actually enjoy having 1200 restaurants within 91.44 meters.

this condition is usually called analysis paralysis, known in German as "Analyseparalyse"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hes right. i had analparalysis and it was not fun

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is way too many restaurants, though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

realbez posted:

But yes this place is a disgusting babylon and I'm sorry.

chaosbreather posted:

it is unlikely that you are missing your wife or you would have not have left her behind

It's a layover on business. She wasn't allowed to come.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

Analprolapse

Eggenraged
Jun 21, 2011

Hell, same.

It's just not the same when you can't feel it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you both cant enjoy things in the moment and want to share the experience with your wife as best you can then it sounds like the best thing to do is take lots and lots and lots of pictures of things. or videos
some/all selfies should be authentically sad

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

if you both cant enjoy things in the moment and want to share the experience with your wife as best you can then it sounds like the best thing to do is take lots and lots and lots of pictures of things. or videos
some/all selfies should be authentically sad

Good advice!
I've been video Skyping with her to give her a tour and it's helping me feel better.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Analysis Paralysis is why I spend an hour browsing Netflix only to end up watching old episodes of Friends every time.

Friends isn't even good!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Have you considered bringing your wife?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Applewhite posted:

Eat my rear end. Even communists like books and restaurants.

that book isn't approved by the party, comrade. come with us, to the reeducation center

e: i've just been informed by my superiors that we're not supposed to use that word any more. please enjoy your stay at the enlightenment retreat

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JebanyPedal posted:

Have you considered bringing your wife?

gently caress!

drat, leave it to me to overlook the obvious!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Analysis Paralysis is why I spend an hour browsing Netflix only to end up watching old episodes of Friends every time.

Friends isn't even good!

You should statt watching Frasier

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You should statt watching Frasier

Frasier makes me mad because everyone is so mean to Roz. She's probably the most decent human being on the show and she gets poo poo on non-stop.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
edit: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not in tyool 2018 i suppose

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 19, 2018

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
the word in english for you situation is distracted. it's pretty common.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Have you ever been someplace awesome where you should be having the time of your life but all you can feel is sad because someone special isn't there to share it with you?

Right now I'm in Ngee Ann City shopping center, Singapore which is basically my favorite place on the entire planet, but my wife's not here and I'm super bummed she's missing it.

Feel free to share either your personal stories of being sad when you should be happy or also stories of a visit to Singapore you might have made.

Saudade.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wow. That one's pretty loving on the money, minus of course the implied permanence of the absence but still this is a $25 word for sure.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Thread was worth it just to learn saudade.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Wow. That one's pretty loving on the money, minus of course the implied permanence of the absence but still this is a $25 word for sure.

Happy to help. Always wanted to visit Singapore.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Singapore, there needs to be a word for tropical countries that never have and never will see a real snowflake but they still use snow motifs extensively in their Christmas decorations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pewdiepie posted:

It is no poo poo basically Elysium from the 2013 movie "Elysium" except not in space.

And I guess no magic hospital machines but if anyplace is gonna get them first it's probably here.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
celebrating a warm christmas sounds almost as good as a nice warm glass of orange juice
im sorry but christmas 3.0 sponsored by coca cola is far superior to that original middle eastern thing and the later european version with the caroling or whatever

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

It's cool, nice rain forest to walk around in and trains that go everywhere. There's a wetland reserve in the north west that is full of crocodiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

celebrating a warm christmas sounds almost as good as a nice warm glass of orange juice
im sorry but christmas 3.0 sponsored by coca cola is far superior to that original middle eastern thing and the later european version with the caroling or whatever

I wish I could have been there for Christmas in 1892 London (or possibly Manhattan?) that was apparently so loving awesome that every subsequent Christmas tries to copy it.