Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I want to see Brute, Spellweaver, Mindthief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Torch Thieves is a good name

Mindthief:
Name: Strong Rat Son
PQ: The Fall of Man, because as mentioned both are locked by reputation and positive rep is both better in general (at least IMO) and easier to get. Implement of Light, I'd hadn't realized Fall of Man was such a pain.

Cragheart:
Name: His name is Kyle because he wrote it on his belt
PQ: Goliath Toppler, because if we're already going positive rep from the previous one to unlock the Sun symbol then we may as go the other way. Also the Angry Face is my favorite class.

Brute:
Name: Hulk Hogan
PQ: Trophy Hunt, because the "become exhausted" personal quest is very bad and no fun when you have to deliberately try to play poorly.

City events tend to give good results for playing nice, and we're looking to unlock the Sun. Let's go A

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 20, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Some Numbers posted:

Are we going to vote on Battle Goals? Because I'll be honest, I'm not liking the idea of getting outvoted and hamstrung into a bad goal.

I don't particularly like voting on items, but at least there aren't many ways for that to straight up screw a character.

Yeah, I'd say the player should get to pick battle goals (since they only last for one battle anyway)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I remember this road event so I will not vote for it.

As far as items, we need all new ones

Mindthief: Cloak of Invisibility (Item 005), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)

Reasoning for new items: Stamina potions are super good and everyone should start with one. Boots of Striding are good so they can stay. (Cragheart is kind of slow, and Brute has cards that benefit you more the further you move.) Mindthief can be a bit squishy and an invisibility cloak is a great "whoops I'm about to die" save, as well as helping in tactical door opening. I thought about Eagle Eye Goggles for the Cragheart (I got great use out of them personally), but it costs our entire gold for this level and I think a stamina potion is needed first, and we'd want boots at some point anyway.

Reasoning why not old items: Healing potions are worse than Stamina potions, IMO. Power Potion is also good on a Cragheart since it is good for area attacks, but you can only carry one small item at level 1 so the Stamina Potion is the way to go. Finally, the poison dagger isn't that great - poison is only going to add maybe 1 or 2 damage most of the time, and often you'll overkill enemies so it won't even matter. It would buff Submissive Affliction, but the party isn't super condition heavy so I don't think it's worth it for trying to go all in on that card.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 21, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Reik posted:

My plan is to go late in the round as to not get exploded by bandit guards, move in, and see if I can finish anyone off.

Is there a way to denote elite vs normal in TTS? I don't see a differentiation on the current map.

They're actually all normals in this room.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Was Bullwinkle planning to use just the basic move bottom of Trample or the actual card? If it's the actual card, you can do a circle to move through the enemies and end up in the same square you left but with attacking them as well. If it was the basic move, can you indicate that it is being used as a basic 2 move when you do the writeup?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

PMush Perfect posted:

I imagine it was basic, rather than using a Lost card on the first turn against some generic enemies, but I could be wrong.

I find a loss card can greatly speed up the first room and lead to a great benefit overall (especially for those with a larger hand size), and this would pretty much be the optimal use of Trample (circling around would let the brute hit 6, 2, and 5)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Some Numbers posted:

I'm throwing rocks to maximize damage. That's the most I can say without breaking the table talk rules.

Or wait. Am I able to say card names?

No, card names and all numbers aren't supposed to be allowed.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I think the reason to want to go to 2 stages is that there are some enemy actions that can massively change what you might want to do - see here with shield/retaliate, but there are also things like disarms or summons. In those cases, the player might want to derail their planned action entirely, but unless that player knew the enemies possible actions ahead of time there's no real way to make an alternate plan for it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

SalTheBard posted:

Quick rules question:

If I have a card that is Move 4 / Push 1 can I move 3, push, move 1 or do I have to take all the "move" at once?

Move has to be all at once. Also re: Pushes, if you have Push 2 or more, you have to use all of it if its possible - you can't just Push 1 if there's still an open space they could be pushed to after that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
You could have them for the lost card themselves on Orokos or somewhere

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also if you want to grind money there's a ver specific scenario that you want to do but at that point you may as well just say you have infinite money.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
1) Go back to Gloomhaven, then move to Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair.

Also let's increase the scenario difficulty to +0
Maximizing events is the only way to go in this game IMO, both for flavor and for results. City events tend to have long-term good effects (give reputation or prosperity, for example) while road events are usually at worst single scenario penalties.

Plus we can buy Bullwinkle an Iron Helmet. For him, Hide Armor should probably wait until we have the perk that removes item penalties. The other two should save their gold for the moment, IMO

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, you can only bring level/2 (rounded up) small items, otherwise a healing potion would be a good pick.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
1) Buy the Iron Helmet for Bullwinkle
2) Try to save the Vermling, lynching is bad and Master Splinter should save a fellow Vermling.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 4, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, it's too early to donate right now. Once we get an item or two more for everyone (and thin out decks a bit) then we can start donating.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I played as a 3 person group and didn't have a problem with 10, but I'm also fine with 8.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Just a little tip on Stun traps for new players - If someone purposefully moves onto them, they are stunned for (basically) two turns - the rest of their current turn, and their next turn. If someone is forcefully moved onto a stun trap when it isn't their turn, they are only stunned until their next turn. This goes for all temporary conditions - they end on the character's next turn, so if it happens on that character's turn they are effected for that turn and the next turn.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Eat berries

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
This is why my group just plays with battle goals open.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The Cragheart's ability to work with obstacles is really fun. While you aren't completely seal an enemy off, being able to set up mini mazes can really help to trivialize melee enemies if the rest of your party also has good ranges attacks. The current party isn't the best for that strategy, unfortunately, but it can still be very useful (and being able to clear a path through obstacles can make some scenarios much easier)

The other neat thing about Cragheart is that Backup Ammunition combines really well worth the Piercing Bow. It's quite possible to take out 4+ high shield low health enemies in a single turn.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 15, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Elephant Ambush posted:

We did it! We got The Sad Coin! :v:

The coin is happy now! It has a home!

That was a blast! Thanks for letting me participate and I can't wait to see what future groups do.

VOTES:

MVP = Rocky for that buffed Dirt Tornado in the doorway that annihilated stuff and tore up the stuff that didn't die. That whole part of the scenario would have been way harder if that hadn't happened.

Bullwinkle's perk = Ignore negative item effects and add a +1

Shopping = Bullwinkle should buy Hide Armor. Rocky should buy Eagle Eye Goggles. It's so good with Backup Ammo!

Sanctuary donation = I vote that Master Splinter donate. There is nothing in the shop that will make any meaningful difference in power level in the near future and enhancements won't be available for a long time so let's try to accelerate to Prosperity 2.

City Event: Help the person! Option A.

I vote for all of this.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Poison Dagger is not very good. First, it goes on your attack, meaning you have to hit and not kill an enemy for it to matter. Second, for it to make a difference, you have to not overkill an enemy, because otherwise the extra damage is just wasted. Most enemies go down on 2 to 3 hits, so an extra 1 to 2 damage that may not even matter is not great. It has a use against elites and bosses, but doesn't justify its cost.

I'd rather start donating so we can open the envelope.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
5 Gold to Rocky, he still needs a Piercing Bow while the other two are mostly fine with current gear for now.
Splinter buys nothing

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Horned Helm is actually not bad, IMO! There are a few classes that can move 4 pretty reliably and so get +1 damage most turns. It was a lot better before it was nerfed, though. (It used to only require 3 movement).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, anyone on the front lines and expecting to take regular hits should really get the iron helm. It's so good for the price, and like a little insurance policy.

On the other hand, there are only 2 Iron Helmets, so if you have more melee focused characters than that someone has to pick another head slot item.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Edit: was a vague spoiler for an unlockable class

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Gonna do a quick card review

Hostile Takeover is great. It's got great initiative. For the top, a Ranged Immobilize is as good as a stun for most melee enemies, it grants XP, and it makes cold. The bottom is iffier but can still see some use to get pressure off your team and get a strong-hitting enemy to attack it's allies (bonus fun if they have retaliate).

Wretched Creature sucks. Not a good summon, and a move 3 is mediocre for the Mindthief. A low initiative can be useful when you are invisible or waiting for enemies to move up, but nothing about this card stands out.

Hostile Takeover is the clear pick.

This is a much harder pick, since both cards are pretty decent.

Sentient Growth gives us another AoE ranged attack, this time with a bonus of being able to heal allies caught in the area. The bottom is another heal and attack option. If we're looking for healing, it's the option to go for. Pity about it's slow initiative.

Explosive Punch is really fun. Getting to remove an obstacle can really help in certain scenarios, and an attack 4 that can often hit 2 enemies is decent for a Cragheart loss card, since the Cragheart can afford to lose a card. The real gold on this card is the move 4 and the fast (for a Cragheart) initiative, meaning you're happy to wait until the top will hit multiple enemies before using it.

There's no real wrong choice here, but I like Explosive Punch

Again, no real wrong choice here.

Juggernaut gives a move on top which is great, and the bottom is useful for tanking purposes when you want to stand up to a big enemy.

Fatal Advance has a move 4 on bottom, which we're always happy to see. I've seen a couple people in the thread say things to the effect of "killing a normal enemy isn't worth a loss." This is incorrect, assuming you use the card near the end of the scenario.. "Kill a normal enemy" can also be phrased as something like "Deal 6-9 damage, ignoring shields and retaliate" at this level, and only improves as you go on. Being able to, for certain, delete an enemy is a good option. Since Fatal Advance has a move 4 on the bottom which we are perfectly happy with, we can use that until we're in the back half of the scenario and not lose much longevity. (Though instakilling an enemy in the first room can sometimes be a good choice as well)

Again, no real wrong choice, but I like Fatal Advance

Perk Analysis: For now, ignoring scenario effects and getting rid of negative cards is what we want. Consistency is king, and getting rid of negative cards makes our attacks more consistent and improves the overall damage.

MVP: Rocky
City Event: A
Splinter: Hostile Takeover, Remove two -1s and Ignore negative scenario effects
Rocky:Explosive Punch, Ignore Negative Scenario effects and Replace one -1 card with one +1 card
Bullwinkle: Fatal Advance, Remove two -1 cards

Splinter and Bullwinkle should donate, Rocky is saving money for a Piercing Bow

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 19, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Reik posted:

I was expecting more support for Bullwinkle purchasing the shield for 20g. Are people not keen on it?

Shield for Brute

The 1 health per long rest the shield saves is rarely going to matter, and we're going to unlock prosperity 2 items shortly so I want to keep a good amount of money free for that (and to continue donating), that's why I didn't vote for it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If we give the gold to Rocky, he can immediately buy a Piercing Bow and solidify his position as the anti-shield guy.

1) Give All the gold to Rocky
2) No, don't buy a shield for Bullwinkle
3) Rocky buys a Piercing Bow

Bullwinkle is an Inox and we just murdered a bunch of Inox, so we should help the Inox this time. Option A
Let's go to the Warehouse, Jekserah is mean.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 20, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If Bullwinkle moves to J2, he'll only take 3 hits, and Rocky and Master Splinter will take one each. Probably the best setup available so that Bullwinkle doesn't explode from damage. Spreading out the damage means everyone can take a long rest before they go into the next room and recover some of the damage/armor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Reik posted:

Bullwinkle should probably use boots and move to K2 instead. He'll still only get attacked by 3 enemies, but we can move dog 5 to H2 which will make the bite on Splinter not include the +2 and move dog 6 to D2 which will make the bite on Rocky not be at +2 as well.

Good point, I forgot about the boots.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Welcome to why the dogs are one of the more annoying enemies in Gloomhaven (though not the worst!). They're super fast (both in movement and initiative), they come in big groups, they have retaliate, and they hand out status effects. It's pretty much impossible to get out of a fight with dogs without taking some damage.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The Battle Axe is one-handed, so you can use a shield with it. With that said

B
MVP: Hounds
Gloomhaven Square B
Road Event A

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gloomy Companion doesn't do it, and I prefer it that way. I don't like mixing stats and abilities like that.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's handy for the Move and Attack values, especially when playing "live", but cases like this one are rare enough (relatively speaking) that I just forgot.

Fyi this is an option you can turn off in Gloomhaven Helper. It's called "Calculate Stats" on the settings tab.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Reik posted:

Road event B.

Do we want to retire Rocky? Temple of the eclipse is an interesting choice since it's a boss scenario.

I say we do. Not only is unlocking characters fun, we'll also go up a prosperity level and get access to new items thanks to the retirement. Also we unlock my favorite class.
Road event B.
The Temple of the Eclipse

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

vdate posted:

The real issue seems to be what our replacement Cragheart's name would be. I'd have suggested 'Bullwinkle', but, well...

Also, while I've been lurking the entire thread, I figured now would be a good time to pop in and thank That Italian Guy for being nutty enough to do this for us. So, uh, thanks TIG, for being nutty enough to run this for us! (Especially because the computer game version looks like it's NOT going to be a computer board game version of the regular board game, despite this being one of the few games where I'd be 100% for that idea.) This game is rad as hell, and I'm deeply glad to get a chance to experience it, even if only secondhand.

Obviously the replacement should be named Rocky II.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
As a Cragheart player Clear the Way owns

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I forgot to actually vote for Clear the Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Another way to look at it is that only the last point of HP actually matters. If you would never go to 0 HP, then a health potiom doesn't matter, and its pretty easy to for a group with decent tactical skills to almost never take enough damage to need the small amount of healing potions give.