Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I’ve been playing Gloomhaven for a year and it would be super interesting to start over so SIGN ME UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Edit: Removing this vote in favor of a different one below.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Spellweaver, Tinkerer, Brute. The classic MMO trinity of roles (though Gloomhaven doesn't really adhere to it).

Mostly because there are no real tanks in Gloomhaven and because the Brute is also DPS.

That Italian Guy posted:

Don't forget to specify if you want to be put on the list to control one of the heroes for an adventure! :black101:

I did!!!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

How would you feel about Brute, Spellweaver, Mindthief?

I'm way more interested in Scoundrel than Mindthief.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So just to confirm, are we going to have the same party of three characters until they retire, but rotate who controls them from scenario to scenario?

Reik posted:

If we bring the Scoundrel we probably want to bring the Brute along, and if we're not bringing the Mindthief I think the Cragheart would be a better ranged damage dealer.

I'm cool with Brute/Scoundrel, but are you saying that a Cragheart is a better ranged DPS than a Spellweaver? Because if so, you're insane.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Yes, unless there is a strong sentiment in the thread for a change (IE: something is not working out or is considered boring). It is possible to pick each of the available classes at any time, after all, so that's always open as an option.

Right, sure. But the overall idea is to change controllers while keeping the party intact?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I don't think they would do more damage, but I think they would fill the ranged damage role and be better for the group overall. For example, if the Scoundrel really needed someone adjacent to an enemy and the Brute was immobilized or otherwise unable to get there, the Cragheart could stand next to an enemy for a turn and not explode.

On the other hand, in exchange for not being able to stand in melee range, the Spellweaver could simply delete other enemies.

If you want to do Brute/Cragheart, that's a totally fine party, but I think at that point, we should go Brute/Cragheart/Tinkerer.

Edit: You know what? I actually really really like that. I'm changing my vote to Brute/Cragheart/Tinkerer.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 19, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Brute and Crag do a lot of damage and Tinkerer can blow their load to clear out several guys.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

Don't underestimate (or undersell) a Cragheart's ability to pump out damage.
Cragheart was my first character. I'm well aware of its damage dealing abilities, I just think they lag behind a bit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As the initial pilot of the Cragheart, I'm going vote for his name to be Dwayne.

The Brute should be named Eron.

The PQs should be Fall of Man, Lawbringer, and Zealot of the Blood God

City Event option A

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

The next voting session we'll have the a vote for items and the Road event (plus we'll start the first dungeon!)

Are we going to vote on Battle Goals? Because I'll be honest, I'm not liking the idea of getting outvoted and hamstrung into a bad goal.

I don't particularly like voting on items, but at least there aren't many ways for that to straight up screw a character.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

namad posted:

You might want to post all 6 battle goal cards and then let the chosen players select their goal's in secret, but with the knowledge of what the other player's available choices were/are.
A) because it would be fun B) It'll be another cool thing for the thread to see and second guess, even if they have no input on it and C) because I swear that was the rule (but I didn't double check.)

I'm actually very cool with this. Posting all six, but not telling anyone who got which two would be a really fun bit of extra context for the scenarios.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Retirement time really, really depends on what goal you get at what point in the campaign. I played my first character to level 9, and had to focus on my goal at that, while the rest of our party retired around level 5 (hell, we might have had a second character retire before I managed to retire my first one). I really wouldn't plan around retirement timing this early on, aside from "it'll take a while." This is pre-first scenario after all; even level 4 and 5 is a long way in the future.

The Cragheart and Tinkerer definitely retired before you, but I think Tink was around 7 or 8?

Then we were Brute/Spellweaver/Ubisoft for a long time; the Brute hit 7 or 8 and Ubisoft got all the way to 9. I'm pretty sure you retired the Spellweaver well before either of us retired.

The important takeaway, however, is that we should not be planning retirements before we get started.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

I definitely agree that it's way too early to be planning retirements (there are some which can happen early on, though not so much in the batch we got), but I would just like to reiterate that Fall of Man is terribly designed and might actually become essentially impossible to complete. I'll expound more on it once we get much further along in the game if I remember (it's waaaaay too spoilery now), but it's just an awful, awful quest. Personal Quests clearly did not get a lot of sanity/balance testing -- the rest of the game is almost beautifully balanced, but there are some really obnoxious PQs.

My group just finished it up a couple of weeks ago so I'm baffled by this assertion.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm willing to accept the mob's item choices, but since everyone wants Rocky to be a ranged attacker, I think we can agree that his next goal should be Eagle Eye Goggles?

Also, the Brute should aim for the Iron Helmet and Hide Armor pretty soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, since we just upped our rep, I'm going to be a jerk and vote to let the puppy fend for itself.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Brute: do you mind getting in front of me so I can set up some AOEs?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Quick reminder for active players: according to the rules as written, you can't take X cards on until after the first scenario. However this is Italian Guy's game and he can house rule it if he wants. Just sucks that technically the Brute can't take Balanced Measure.
The game recommends you don't take them if you've never played a game before. Unless people really want to squawk, I'm absolutely taking a couple of mine.

quote:

I completely disagree with the poster who said Balanced Measure isn't that great. It is. It really is. Which is why I agree with the item choices proposed. It sucks not having Hide armor until later but in this game damage output is supreme.
PMush didn't say Balanced Measure isn't great (card is awesome), just that it's volatile and might not be super reliable this early and I tend to agree. It's a lot better once the Brute gets more Move 4s in its deck.

Which is not to say the Brute shouldn't take it!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I want to be in the back hex that the Mindthief isn't in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Actually, I can take a hit better than you can, so maybe I should be in H2 and Brute can be in G3.

Brute, your thoughts?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm on a three day weekend too. I will be playing board games for a lot of tomorrow, but I should be able to at least program my cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can we discuss why I ended up with all the -1s?

Whatever, I'm going drop some rocks on the guards, so you guys should watch out. You're in the splash zone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm throwing rocks to maximize damage. That's the most I can say without breaking the table talk rules.

Or wait. Am I able to say card names?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cool.

I'm maximizing damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going fast and doing a lot of damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I am massively confused about what just happened. I specifically said I wanted to throw my Boulders before moving.

Also, how did my Attack 3 deal 4 and 2 damage when drawing a +1 both times?

Edit: Wait, how did the Brute move at Init 10 with a 64 and a 27???

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

Do you guys want to spend this round finishing bandit 1 and looting, and next round I'll open the door and go invisible?

That's my exact plan. I'm priming to kill the guard and pick up some coins.

SalTheBard posted:

I specified 2 different initiatives

:psyduck: How were you planning to go on Init 10? How were you playing three cards? I'm so confused.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

Okay, I am moving as fast as I can to hex E3 and attacking the bandit. If it doesn't die, it will at least be Stunned.

I think the more specific we can be about our turns, the less uncertainty or contingencies we will need to build in to our plans we send in.

Of course you are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No, it's fine, I was just planning to grab the coin on E3.

Don't worry about it, this is how Gloomhaven goes. It's only semi-cooperative.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Seriously, it's not a big deal, it's something that you get used to when you play with people who all have low initiative cards.

I would absolutely appreciate it if you went to another hex, but it's not necessary.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I like B or letting the thread vote on it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I’m staying in the opening room and healing you guys

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Edit: Nevermind, I am wrong.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 26, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I was going to heal myself this turn, if that would affect your card selection.

Not really, I only have a couple of choices.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Cragheart are you doing anything that could hurt me if I get into melee with the archers?

You might take some splash damage depending on the final configuration, but I can also heal it off you after we clear the room.

Edit: On second thought, if you can leave I5 open for me, I don't need to do AoE stuff this turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yes, I want to move to the big red X.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I feel like we all have the same idea of pushing that elite bandit archer in to one of the traps?

Do you have a better idea? I'm not going particularly fast, so if you want to push him onto the lower trap, I should be able to push him onto the other one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I do not. My plan was if the Brute wanted to finish the guard off for their PQ, I'd short rest and do the push myself, but if one of you can do the push that would be better.
So wait, are you pushing on turn 5 or 6?

I have a push programmed in for the turn we're planning right now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I'll push next round (round 6). This round will be general damage (round 5).

Okay, I'll push the archer onto the trap closer to us and you can push him up the next turn.

DarthRoblox posted:

So Gloomhaven newbie here, but how does shield work? It looks like Bullwinkle had a shield when he was shot by the 2 attack Archer with no modifiers, but still took 2 damage?

That's mostly due to the way That Italian Guy wrote it. The archer attacked for 3 damage and flipped a +0 card, so 3 damage hit the Brute, whose Shield reduced it by 1.

We may want to start posting the combat resolution like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I appreciate that, my plan gets worse if I’m not in I5