Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey, earlier in the thread one of you said that the way to deal with things like this was to push them into traps and then misread the rules.

In my Gloomhaven group I've been using the mindthief to, uh...push things into traps. What's illegal about that? Because you're right--it works great and I thought it was an extremely good strategy!

e: oh, is it because these are flying units and as such wouldn't spring a trap?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Phelddagrif posted:

Into the Night and Scurry. Initiative 14.

Splinter is starting to run short on cards and needs to get into the action now. She can run into the room of drakes this round and attack, then pop Invisibility Cloak. Then either long rest or use her stamina potion for next round.

This, but moving to the door on the lower right. Y'all need to get that open eventually, and I doubt whatever's in there will be able to attack this turn. Open that door, then run like hell toward the groups on the left, which are hopefully dead by the time whatever's in the last room catches up. Gotta keep moving given how few cards you have, so let the monsters do the work.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Let's not use another loss card with Splinter. I also don't think boulders are necessary and Splinter can take care of all 3 drakes before trying to get into the right side of the fight.

Play:
Brain Leech (bottom)
Scurry (top)

Brain leech's bottom goes first (atk 1 + strengthen), attacking the weaker of the 2 drakes nearby.

If it fails to kill the drake, play the battle axe and just treat the top half of scurry as a generic ATK 2. 2 + the passive +2 + the axe + drawing with advantage should guarantee 2 dead drakes VERY early in the round. Short rest thereafter.

Then everyone else can move for the door. Splinter can handle the remaining drake on the next turn.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Eeepies posted:

Not a problem, I can toss a heal 4 before walking off, but are you all confident that Splinter can kill all 3 on his own?

I'd be shocked if Splinter didn't kill the 2 adjacents this very turn. Then it's just a matter of 1v1. Might take 2 turns, but your heal will give the necessary time, I would think.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

By the way, I would like to play any character. So, uh...there we go.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I think I’ve been playing wrong.

When you meet the scenario goal, everything doesn’t immediately end? You get the remaining turn to play out?

E: ok yeah, I see the rule now. Man, that cost us a treasure chest a while back.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wait, you don't need line of sight to command the bear? And the beast tyrant can just kinda chill out in the opening room? That's...interesting.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I’m fine with plus one difficulty. Accidentally miscalculated in my home game and played two scenarios WELL before we were ready to bump it up. Might as well have the same experience here!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hi friends, I'm the Cragheart this time around. My plan is to move as fast as a cragheart can so that these two badguys look at my initiative and say "I should attack him first". I've got the HP to soak it even with that bad road event, and I have A PLAN.

e: Kobal2, I'd want to start in E3 as well since that way I should be target of both enemies. If I can't take E3 then I'll take the front row spot nearest the NORMAL enemy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kobal2 posted:

The reason I'd like E3 is because unless Some Bullshit happens I don't plan on moving at all ; and that's the only hex from which I can work my best Not Some Bullshit Happening plan. Which *should* prevent my taking any hits and limit the need for you to tank unless there's some other bullshit I've forgotten about.

Yeah, that's fine. I've got things I can do if I'm not tanking, too. Defer to your Not Some Bullshit plan.

...but drat, this looks awful.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

As a heads up, I'm going to be ENTIRELY out of pocket all of this coming Monday, and a good part of Tuesday as well. Assuming I'm coherent enough to get online Tuesday, I'll submit orders then. If y'all don't want to wait I'm fine with the thread voting for the cragheart's moves for a day or two.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, seems pretty obvious that Splinter is going to STUN the elite sun demon and immobilize the normal night demon.

So I think all I want to do is heal, and then trot on over to D4 with a generic move2 bottom. That'll get me able to tank in future rounds (though I won't have my retaliate up unless I use my stamina potion.)

Thoughts?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is all very new and weird to me. All I've played in my local campaign is the mindthief, and suddenly having this giant beefy dude who can move really far and hit multiple things is weird. But oh my god is it ever slow.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If I can move early enough (cragheart :mad:) I can hit all three of those jerks REALLY hard. Given that there are two elites in that pack, now seems like a good time for me to bust out some of my best tricks.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

dwarf74 posted:

As a general rule, night demons will go before a cragheart. :)

Disappointing.

Rules question: how does enemy targeting work if there's a summon? I know tie goes to lowest initiative, but does that apply to the bear as well? Meaning if Pikachu/Ash have initiative 50 and Rocky has initiative 60, the demons would go after Ash because Pikachu's initiative breaks the tie for the summon?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, then my plan is to go somewhat slowly since I probably can't beat things to the punch.

I would appreciate if allied units stayed out of C4. Since Ash will go there if he gets to move first, can the beast tyrant move kinda slowly? If you have a better plan, so be it. I still have something useful to do if an ally is occupying c4 at the time Rocky gets to move.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I was mostly trying to figure out if I'd get focused instead of Ash, not Ash vs. Pikachu. But it's fine. I'll get used to not moving at RATSPEED and do something useful this turn!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

I don't really have a viable plan this turn besides "go as fast as possible and try and kill the elite Sun Demon with 3 strengthened attacks plus poison". Do you have some ranged attacks you could use?

I can do both melee OR ranged. I feel like my plan works better if there's an enemy in C4, but I'm flexible.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

I feel like we would generate a lot of value by jamming up the sun demon and preventing the night demon from getting in to melee this round.

That's fine. If the two vermlings want to move fast to the point that C4 and D5 are occupied by allies before the night demon moves, I still have useful things I can do.

edit: a lot of this is just "I have no idea how to use a cragheart and I want to try all its neat skills out," but I'm happy to play as support rather than DPS and tank

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 1, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

This is a weird scenario for a first time Cragheart player because you don't really get to utilize the Cragheart's earth element engine, but you've still got 4 solid top actions each rest: Rock Slide, Massive Boulder, Rumbling Advance, and Heaving Swing. Also, if you didn't know, you can still push flying monsters in to obstacles with Heaving Swing to trigger the damage and experience.

I mean, there's a reason I want an enemy occupying that one tile, but :shrug: I'm sure I will get other opportunities.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That’s a pretty beefy attack for our night demon friend, but the suns aren’t dangerous this turn. Ah e splinter should not move to D5?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kobal2 posted:

Weird turn, where we hope to do enough damage to the Elite Sun that a double dose of healing will still leave it within easy kill range next turn ; but not so much as to kill it before the healing 'cause that'd let the Night Demon hit for a lot :).
Actually I should be fine even taking its hit. So long as it's not a crit.

EDIT : actually actually it would even be great if the night demon came to C5, cause then I could dunk on it next turn before pushing it into the trap.

FairGame, not sure what you mean by your last sentence, do you want me not to go to D5 ?

Wow, like an entire sentence got eaten.

Anyway, if you think you can deal with a night demon hitting you for a ton, go for it. I'm pretty sure the sun demon is going to get eaten by a bear, though.

I am probably just going to send conditional orders in (If the mindthief is in d5, and the sun demon is alive, do X. Basically your position and the alivenrss of the sun demon will make a 2x2 matrix of things to do for me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, submitted. Realized that my conditionals didn't really need to be so overwrought; all my stuff really boils down to is "can I push a fool into a pillar, or nah?"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That wasn’t so bad.

I don’t have much I can do this turn that’s useful unless I can get into melee range. And I’m almost certainly going last.

I guess all we need to do from Rocky’s perspective is make sure the night demon targets the bear (either because it’s the closest enemy, or because bear wins tiebreak.)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

By the way, not unavailable the next two days like I thought/hoped. Rocky will lumber around uninterrupted.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, to be clear, I *will* be around.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OK, seems pretty obvious how this turn evolves:

1.) Bear takes a swipe at the night demon, wounding it more. (boots of speed are a great idea; nice!)
2.) I guess Patch Fur fires off to shield the bear?
3.) Splinter does an ATK 3 (thanks to Mind's weakness), and then is strengthtened for an ATK 4 that also pushes the night demon into the trap. Possibly killing it.
4.) The sun demon moves to where the night demon is currently set up and hits everyone but Pikachu with an ATK 2
5.) I throw a boulder at something for ATK3 with splash damage of 1. So really it's just what I throw the boulder at, yeah?
5a.) If the night demon is still alive, I obviously target its hex since that way there's no friendly fire.
5b.) If the night demon IS NOT still alive, can y'all deal with the splash damage of targeting the sun demon? (1 HP damage to the Master Splinter and Ash)? If the night demon only has 1 HP left, and splash damage will automatically kill it, is it worth getting the additional damage on the sun demon in exchange for friendly fire?
6.) I use the bottom half of my other card to do a generic MOVE 2 (which is actually move 1) and move back and to the left 1 hex (to C3)

Do I need to submit orders via PM? Mostly it's just "how do we handle the risk of splash damage based on the status of the night demon after it gets attacked 3 times and pushed into a trap"? And I defer to my party members on how they want to do that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sent in my orders pretty much as I previously laid out. Y'all are getting splash damaged if the night demon is already dead AND I can't close to melee range. I've got the heal cards to bring everyone back to full before we breach the next room anyway.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Phelddagrif posted:

By the way, if the Night Demon ends up getting pushed through the trap, then it must end up at A7. A push must always go as far as it can, ending up farther away at each step.

Ohhh, that changes things. I thought the immobilize would prevent further movement.

TIG: treat my orders as if the night demon is dead in terms of conditionals.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I can get the treasure next turn, too. There’s not much else useful for me to do.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My plan is to:
1.) Get the treasure chest
2.) Punch the demon in the face

Now, I *can* do some more stuff if y'all would find it useful. Specifically, seems like we had a pretty good time in this first room using pillars to create chokepoints. I can do some dungeon feng shui and help us create new chokepoints if y'all think that'd be useful in the new room.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, I’m going to need to short rest at the end of NEXT turn. So my plan is to move 4+2 (boots of striding, which I’ll get back on short rest) to the treasure. If our beast tyrant friend would be so kind as to disarm the demon, I’d appreciate not taking unnecessary damage.

Only question for me: would y’all rather I moved the pillar closer to the new room so we can funnel enemies? Or should I just punch the demon in the face?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zack Ater posted:

You get refreshable items back on long rests, not short.

Ah. Duh. Though I'm not sure how much that matters given my situation.

Man, I am extremely NOT helpful in this scenario so far! I'm indifferent as to who gets the chest; I was just trying to be useful!

Splinter can do an ATK 1 + 2 while getting the chest, then Ash and Pikachu can poke the demon a little bit. Then I either finish it off or move the pillar closer to the door so we can do Pillar Stuff in the next room?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Orders in.

If the treasure isn't grabbed by Splinter, Rocky will grab it.
If the sun demon isn't dead, Rocky will punch it.
If the sun demon is dead, Rocky will chuck a pillar toward the next room in hopes of that being helpful.

edit: also, remember how I was supposed to be out of pocket this Monday and Tuesday? Well, now it's going to be NEXT Monday and most of Tuesday, as a heads up.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I can breach VERY slowly and unless the room is filled with tons of flying foes I can protect myself pretty well. Should I?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reik posted:

I feel like opening a door when we only have 2-3 cards left is less than ideal. Why not use round 5 to reposition or loot, long rest in round 6, and open the door at the beginning of 7 with a full hand and all of our spent items restored? I have a bottom command movement for round 5 to get Ash a bit closer.

I am always gun-shy about "wasting" turns, having once lost a scenario where if we'd just spent one fewer turn screwing around for an OPTIMAL BREACH, we'd have won.

Do what y'all like, though! I can't open the door this turn (my plan is to move to where Splinter presently is, or right behind if Splinter decides otherwise) so it's mostly up to Splinter what we do. My preference is to keep moving if I get a vote, though.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That Italian Guy posted:

Still missing orders from FairGame! Update asap :)

No you’re not. Check your PMs. Sent it like two days ago.

e: occurs to me that while it's in my sent PMs, it was on one of the days where the forums where struggling so maybe it never actually made it to you? Gonna just post it here since I'm last and nobody is changing their orders.

Rock Slide, Dirt Tornado, moving at 82.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 9, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Your dog is adorable, holy crap

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I’m here for like 15 more minutes and will submit orders via PM. If they don’t make sense, just tell the thread and have them decide for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

1.) I’m back
2.) Shouldn’t dirt tornado have done 1 fewer damage to each and not muddled? I didn’t consume earth.