Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Me vs the Gremlins 2 haters.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch, in case you've never heard anyone complain about movie sequels before, is infamous for being a very bad one. And I'm SICK OF IT. I've searched and searched for defenders of this movie, but they are shockingly few. It's unfortunate that I have to be the one to say this, but The New Batch deserves more. No, it deserves way, way more. The New Batch isn't just an okay film. It's a great film.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Gremlins 1984. It's probably my favorite holiday film, and I'm awful close to calling it a "perfect" movie wrt execution (note: this is different from enjoyment). However, this thread title isn't clickbait either. I don't just think The New Batch stands up to its predecessor, I think it surpasses it. The overarching reason for that is simple: The New Batch has valuable things to say about film. It's a movie about film, it's a sequel about sequels, and I absolutely have a poo poo-ton of things to say about it.

It's actually quite late at night for me currently, but I just had to squeeze this OP out immediately upon discovering this subforum because these are important things that need to be said!! I'm going to use the rest of this space to provide much needed background details about the production of the film, and then commence my deep dive into the film tomorrow. I'm excited to rewatch it again.

Something that slips past many modern viewers' radars, and is actually pretty essential to understanding the film, is the amount of time between the first film and the sequel. 6 years doesn't seem like too long of a time (I mean Wreck It Ralph was six years ago), but in the 80s and early 90s that was FOREVER. I wasn't alive back then but I'm pretty sure everybody had all but forgotten Gremlins by the time the sequel rolled out. In other words, Hollywood's demand for a sequel was truly of the "nobody asked for it" variety. Granted, part of the reason the sequel took so long was because Joe Dante, the director of the first film and eventual director of the second, vehemently refused to work on a sequel when approached. And Hollywood had a difficult time finding a replacement director. Eventually, Dante was convinced through a weirdly huge budget and the super rare promise of having complete creative control over the final product. Luckily for everybody, Dante used this newfound freedom to absolutely roast Hollywood for the entire runtime of his film. On the DVD commentary, Dante referred to the film as "one of the more unconventional studio pictures ever" due to the fact that Warner Bros wanted the sequel so bad they were willing to let Dante get away with a lot of crap that he otherwise wouldn't. He also said that it was the film into which he put most of his personal flair.

Joe Dante made a sequel to his own film which he didn't want to make in the first place and already knew the property would be bastardized to hell and back when he accepted. And the result is a wholly unique experience that will probably never happen again.

Scene by scene analysis starts tomorrow. Feel free to debate me cuz I'm fuckin' passionate about this topic.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gremlins and Gremlins 2 are both equally awesome.

Gremlins 2 is the cartoon adaptation of Gremlins which is already a live action cartoon.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 20, 2018

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Wait wait wait... There are people out there that hate Gremlins 2?

I simply cannot imagine being that wrong about movies in the current year!

It's so weird and hilarious. I particularly like the girl's random story about Lincoln (which of course parodies that weird out-of-place story in the first film, but it might be even more hilarious if you don't know that; if you, like me, didn't see Gremlins until decades after Gremlins 2).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be honest, I don't think you need to do a scene by scene analysis to explain why Gremlins 2 is the best when you already prove it in the first post:

But then, I'm always down with people talking about Gremlins 2, so I'll be following this thread with bated breath.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gremlins 2 is brilliant, and I agree, is equal to the first - but depends on the first to properly satire it.

TLW tried to do the exact same thing to Jurassic Park, but didn't go quite far enough with it.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The first sentence in your post is patently false. Since when is Gremlins 2 infamous for being a bad sequel? If anything it's the opposite.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I actually saw 2 before 1

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gremlins 2 was smart enough to realize what the first movie couldnt. That the gremlin creatures arent really scary enough on their own to work as straight horror so just embrace the goofiness of it all.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HP Hovercraft posted:

The first sentence in your post is patently false.

Actually, that is a true representation of me vs the Gremlins 2 haters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Chalk me up as another person who had no clue anyone hated Gremlins 2. I thought it was an Alien/Aliens situation where everyone has their preference but also everyone pretty much likes both.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Agreeing with everyone else, I've never really seen anyone hate Gremlins 2.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Gremlins 2 had a somewhat mixed reception when it was first released and lost money. The intervening years have been kind to it though, and I think today most people have come around on it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm always surprised we never got a Gremlins cartoon show.

It seems like every other horror-comedy movie of the late 80's- early 90's got a series.

Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Tales from the Crypt, Littleshop of Horrors, Toxic Crusader, even goddamn Attack of the Killer Tomatoes got a cartoon, but not Gremlins.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gremlins 2 rules because even trying to imagine the pitch meeting for it will never not be hilarious.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I loving love Gremlins 2.

It also inspired a pretty awesome Key and Peele sketch

https://youtu.be/x01l_jMhjVM

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I always thought gremlins 2 was great

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I feel like the OP may have been confusing Gremlins 2 with Troll 2.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've always loved Gremlins 2, OP.

I also follow this amazing Gremlins 2 twitter account; Institute of Gremlins 2 Studies. https://twitter.com/G2Institute

Fun, but in no way civilised...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've never seen this movie but this scene means it must be a good movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGgx3YCCAA

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

For a sequel people are correct to hate I nominate Boondock Saints 2

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

For a sequel people are correct to hate I nominate Boondock Saints 2

I submit that Boondock Saints 2 is better than Boondock Saints, by virtue of it being so astoundingly bad that it shames people out of liking the first retroactively.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ALFbrot posted:

I submit that Boondock Saints 2 is better than Boondock Saints, by virtue of it being so astoundingly bad that it shames people out of liking the first retroactively.

it actually got made? I'm not doing this as one of those silly "What do you mean there were 3 Matrix movies? Only one exists, it wouldn't need sequels!" gag.
Like I remember a documentary all about how the rear end in a top hat auteur behind the first movie pissed away all good will and burned every bridge attempting to get it made practically guaranteeing he'd never work in the industry again and no one would ever work for him.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This scene is a crime

https://youtu.be/K8pJBCCrZl8

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Despite all it's fault BS2 is the only performance of Julie Benz's that I was able to tolerate.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Uh...

Is it supposed to look that bad?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I would have loved to have been in the room when they shot the scene on the ice rink. It’s like they just had the camera constantly orbiting the actors and just started takes whenever they felt like it, then edited together the best takes willy nilly with no regard for how it cut.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mooey Cow posted:

Uh...

Is it supposed to look that bad?

That blur isn't due to a lovely upload, it looks like it had a bad oversaturated filter for 'artistic reasons.' Looking it up, the movie had an 8 million dollar budget. Why does it have sub-Troma level production quality?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I have no idea why some people dislike Gremlins 2. Both 1 and 2 are great movies but for different reasons. 1 actually tries to be a bit serious and has a cool warrior mom who murders Gremlins by the half-dozen, 2 just goes full on cartoon comedy and it's loving great.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Gremlins 2 is one of my all-time favourite movies, I can put it on at any time and never fail to be entertained it’s just so anarchic.

Also the elevator alarm gag kills me, and I desperately want all public toilets to have a recorded greeting like in the clamp building “MR .....WELCOME TO THE MENS ROOM”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gremlins 2 has an amazing secret weapon in John Glover. He is absolutely delightful in all things, but especially in that particular flick.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

Gremlins 2 has an amazing secret weapon in John Glover. He is absolutely delightful in all things, but especially in that particular flick.

Clamp would also make a much better president than the guy he's partially based off of.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There's actually a deleted scene where a character says that Clamp should be president.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Fart City posted:

Gremlins 2 rules because even trying to imagine the pitch meeting for it will never not be hilarious.

The pitch meeting was Warner Bros. constantly pestering Dante to make the movie for six years after the first one - probably because Spielberg said he wouldn’t put his name on it if it wasn’t Joe behind the camera - and him saying no until they finally said “please just make the movie, you can do whatever you want with it as long as it doesn’t piss off the MPAA ratings board” and he said “really?” And they repeated “ANYTHING” and so we got what we got, which somehow is Jacque Tati’s Playtime as shot through the subconscious of Chuck Jones. I’m amazed Warners actually kept up their end of the bargain (then again, it’s not like the movie was a mess, and given that the same people were starting up a channel to broadcast Looney Tunes in the near future, they probably got what he was doing), although that might have just been as much them wanting to remain on Spielberg’s good side more than anything else.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Cameo posted:

which somehow is Jacque Tati’s Playtime as shot through the subconscious of Chuck Jones.

I'm going to steal that phrase because it's perfect.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cameo posted:

The pitch meeting was Warner Bros. constantly pestering Dante to make the movie for six years after the first one - probably because Spielberg said he wouldn’t put his name on it if it wasn’t Joe behind the camera - and him saying no until they finally said “please just make the movie, you can do whatever you want with it as long as it doesn’t piss off the MPAA ratings board” and he said “really?” And they repeated “ANYTHING” and so we got what we got, which somehow is Jacque Tati’s Playtime as shot through the subconscious of Chuck Jones. I’m amazed Warners actually kept up their end of the bargain (then again, it’s not like the movie was a mess, and given that the same people were starting up a channel to broadcast Looney Tunes in the near future, they probably got what he was doing), although that might have just been as much them wanting to remain on Spielberg’s good side more than anything else.

I guess I can look it up when I get home, but I'll ask here. As a kid, I remember trailers for the movie more than a year before the movie came out, like there was a gigantic delay or something. Anyone know the reason for that?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think WB was just trying to push it as a big thing and made a trailer to underline that right as production started, since production actually went a lot smoother than the first one (which was rife with issues with the animatronic Gremlins, giving Joe his own “the shark doesn’t work” nightmares), and they shot through ‘89 and released it in 1990.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whether or not The New Batch is actually infamous, which I guess I'm not sure of anymore, there's still a ton of gems to dig up on a deep dive into it. I never intended this thread as an argumentative analysis anyway. It's mostly to show off all the little things that make this film a masterpiece. And as I realized while writing this first post up, I have a hecking lot to say about it every frickin' 10 seconds.

Part 1: 00:00:00 -00:06:00

The first frame immediately introduces "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" as a cartoon. It's overwhelmingly obvious why that's appropriate, but this reminds me of a pet peeve I have about many recent films. (What's that? A tangent in the beginning of your first post?) Shut up. So you know how there's this trend where films will open with the corporate-approved stock logo of the film producers, but then immediately afterwards the film will open by listing those same producers with its own preferred font and aesthetic? So you have to wait like ten seconds after you press play before you're actually seeing the director's vision? It's better when the film starts its music during the logos and then doesn't bother repeating the info in the film proper, but I still see the weird redundancy sometimes, and it annoys me.

Bugs Bunny appears riding the WB cartoon logo, then Daffy Duck comes in and they do a skit. The Loony Tunes skit was definitely included to cement the anarchic tone that the film unapologetically embraces, but there's another purpose it serves as well. To introduce the themes of creative control and corporate meddling. Daffy takes the role of director and leading role of the intro skit, and starts directing. However, the unseen cartoon operator represented by the WB logo pulls the corporate symbol way too close to the camera, pushing Daffy and everything else out of frame. (In the extended skit, there's also a bit where Bugs edits Daffy's naming choices for the film).

Title card! God, I love title cards. I like to go to websites like this and look at em all. This title card is really pleasant looking and surprisingly calming. But why is "Gremlins 2" written in that color? It kind of hurts my eyes looking at it too long.

We're then treated to sweeping shots of the city, in contrast to the previous film, it taking place in a modest suburb and all. In a producer's eyes, New York City is like a huge moneybag. People want to see films shot there. It was huge and it's still huge today. This is a deliberately transparent grab for attention, as barely any of the rest of the movie involves the city setting at all. The plot would be basically the same if it took place in the building from The Belko Experiment, for example.

We then enter the familiar Chinatown area, which makes me interested now that I think about it, how far did Billy's dad drive to reach this place? It doesn't look like they lived too close to this city.
I'm also interested in the fact that that first film didn't establish the city at ALL, just plopped us into (a way more dark and mystical) Chinatown. Thats kind of why I'm so confidant that I'm not ovethinking the addition of the city shots.
We can see there's construction in that last shot, which I'm pointing out only to show how smoothly details are established through editing. The Chinatown shots have been following a single car, leading us all the way to the construction site.

The first character of the film is introduced, in an editing technique we all know and love, as a foot stepping out of a car. Oh, and speaking of the text that is coincidentally overlayed on that screenshot, Jerry Goldsmith also composed the music for the first film and his scores are excellent.

If there's one thing I love irrationally more than I should, it's good character-establishing moments, so I highly appreciate that from the very first moment he steps out of that fancy car, which already has the characteristic of sticking out in Chinatown, Mr Forster is pretty strongly established with his foot acting alone, as he carefully avoids stepping in the garbage, presumably to keep his shined shoes looking squeaky clean. He adjusts his lapel and stands up to retrieve his sales materials, which look entirely like luggage.

Here we are, in the oh so familiar setting of Wing's curiosity shop, hammering home the familiarity by playing Gizmo's theme in the background as soon as we enter. I'm going to argue a little later that the shop represents the first film, so this is important to point out.

"Mr Wing." Frank says as he enters, followed by what the credits refer to as his "associates" and without another word of greeting, starts moving poo poo and setting stuff up. It's really hard to see because a bunch of credits blocks it, but as he walks in Mr. Forster picks up an antique hat from the table they're about to put the display screen on, and then fuckin' drops it on the floor basically as a "gently caress you" to Mr. Wing. The next character identified by name is interestingly Mr Clamp, not Frank Forster, the other main character in this scene, which I mention only to point out that this script understands conservation of detail, and which information is most valuable to the viewer. It's WAY more useful to understand the name and identity of Mr Clamp early on than Forster who won't even be properly introduced in this scene.

Mr Clamp doesn't appear outside of a screen until Billy meets him for the first time.

After greeting Wing, the first thing Mr. Clamp says is "I'm prepared to increase my offer substantially," and then volunteers "you're very attached to your business" all while the camera focuses in on Wing's stubborn expression. This takes approximately three to four seconds, but establishes not only Clamp's relationship to Wing (not friendly/persistently making an offer), but also what's as stake (Wing's business), the reason for the conflict (Wing's attachments), Wing's character (stubborn), and Clamp's character (determined to get his way). Amazingly time-effective writing. Mwah.

Immediately after that, we get a lot of quick exposition made entertaining mostly by the amazing John Glover: he makes big buildings, the hugest buildings, and he's got a brand new special film I mean building he wants to make. Except it uses Mr. Wing's concept I mean land. And Mr. Wing is the only one not playing along. Ok you probably get the point I'm trying to make. I want to also point out the comparison Clamp says to Wing, about how he (Clamp) makes big, monumental things, whereas Wing makes "little things." I don't think it's much of a stretch to draw a comparison again to Joe Dante, who prior to Gremlins 2 had mainly directed small B-movie-ish pictures such as Piranha (1978) and The Howling (1981) compared to a company like Warner Bros.

Strangely, we get a big closeup of Clamp for the line "I believe there is always an area of agreement that two people can reach." I'll leave it up to you to interpret why Dante chose to emphasize that so much.

Mr Wing calls television "an invention for fools," but Gizmo isn't watching a television program, he's watching the film Rambo. So is film also an invention for fools? This movie gives that question a resounding yes.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 23, 2018

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Gremlins 2 is amazing, this thread is amazing. Lady Gremlina was my first childhood crush.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah man! You show all those 1 haters that Gremlins 2 is awesome and a one of a kind movie that will never be done again. :arghfist::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's actually pretty easy to find dummies who don't like Gremlins 2, though the opinion has become a bit less fashionable over time. It's included in a few "worst sequels of all time" lists and its Rotten Tomatoes audience score is currently at only 56%, making it a rare case of a horror movie the critics liked more than the audience.