Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yarbald posted:

Gremlins 2 is amazing, this thread is amazing. Lady Gremlina was my first childhood crush.

I love that the laboratory was doing experiments with spider serums, bat serums, brain serums,

... lady serums...

Vegetable...

...serums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I didn’t watch many movies in a theater as a kid since I grew up out in the sticks but I was fortunate enough to see this in the theater. It’s true, it’s a great movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Gremlins? In this theater?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I just want to say that sequence where the electric gremlin always makes me laugh.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I consider this movie one of the best films ever made because few films have ever been made with

A. Unlimited studio budget
B. Unrestricted creative control
C. Complete contempt for itself

All at the same time.

Its such a good movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Years later I realized that Gremlins 2 was my first time seeing Christopher Lee in a movie. That's probably not uncommon, although obviously Star Wars and Lord of the Rings would be the more popular answer these days.

According to wikipedia Lee's character's first name in Gremlins 2 is "Cushing".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think one of my all time favorite quotes in any movie is when Christopher Lee leans into the Gremlin and is like

"I can get you.... diseases"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Years later I realized that Gremlins 2 was my first time seeing Christopher Lee in a movie. That's probably not uncommon, although obviously Star Wars and Lord of the Rings would be the more popular answer these days.

According to wikipedia Lee's character's first name in Gremlins 2 is "Cushing".

Makes sense, age thing. Growing up before most people has cabel, old Dracula movies played regularly on TV, or Man with the Golden Gun.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I consider this movie one of the best films ever made because few films have ever been made with

A. Unlimited studio budget
B. Unrestricted creative control
C. Complete contempt for itself

All at the same time.

Its such a good movie
Truly it is the Bad Boys II/Crank: High Voltage of Gremlins films and I love it very much.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

Truly it is the Bad Boys II/Crank: High Voltage of Gremlins films and I love it very much.

I'd put it a little closer to something like Freddy Got Fingered where the whole movie feels like a condemnation of the studio process that created it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How could anyone hate this

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
OP, I love the idea for this thread and can't wait to read more of your analysis.

I've always loved Gremlins 2. " [Inanimate object] is a character in the movie!" is such an overused lame cliche when people are talking about movies, but that stupid broken giant building amused me to no end. It's such a strange sequel. i can't even think of what a modern day equivalent could be to it. No one makes light family horror movies like Gremlins 1 anymore and then to take such a weird left turn with the sequel on top of it is just something that doesn't exist these days. Gremlins 2 should be treasured.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great idea for a thread. Used to watch it all the time on VHS as a kid (never saw it in theaters so I never got to see the film break gag back then) along with Clue. I just re-watched it yesterday after not having watch it in about twenty years or so along with the first gremlins (about the same amount of time). First one still great, but the more comedic tone of 2 is a better fit then dark humor the first one. The first one didn't know if it wanted to be a dark comedy like them attacking the mom or the rude banker lady, or just just having them be playful and watch Snow White.

And yeah they both still hold up very well after all this time. Have no idea why I waited this long to re-watch them both since I had them on dvd and blu-ray for ages.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I'll go on record saying that I didn't like Gremlins 2 when I saw it in the theater. I saw Gremlins in the theater at the age of 7 and it scared me and by the time I watched Gremlins 2 as a 13 year old I suspect I was just too cool to be scared and probably completely oblivious to the humor aspect. I'll have to rewatch it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HP Hovercraft posted:

The first sentence in your post is patently false. Since when is Gremlins 2 infamous for being a bad sequel? If anything it's the opposite.

Yeah, I'd say G2 has long been annointed a cult classic. It's a similar story to fellow darling Starship Troopers, a movie that was way ahead of its audience in every way and absconded with an enormous studio budget. If anything, Starship Troopers is an example of Gremlins 2 "happening again", but that's how good satire works. It's complicated and difficult to suss out from the rest of spectacle, and it usually involves stupid rich people dropping their guard and not understanding who or what they are dealing with.

Scott Tobias wrote Gremlins 2 up under his "New Cult Canon" column slightly over a decade ago, when he was still with AV Club.

https://film.avclub.com/the-new-cult-canon-gremlins-2-1798214634

Then again on The Dissolve when that was still around

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That doesn't contradict onsetOutsider's point though. A cult classic by definition is something which has failed to gain traction among mainstream audiences.

No one is denying that Gremlins 2 has its fair share of devoted fans. If it didn't, this thread wouldn't exist in the first place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It didn't make it's budget back, so I guess there's an argument that it really wasn't successful or very popular in it's time. Although, I think making $40mil in 1990 would probably be looked at differently if the budget wasn't a ridiculous 50mil. It really is crazy they gave him that much when you think about it.

By comparison, Ghostbusters 2 was made a year or so earlier for half as much and it made hundreds of millions. The original Gremlins film was a financial success something along those lines so yea I'm sure Gremlins 2 seemed like a major flop at the time. I was six years old though so I didn't notice.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The OP’s point is still valid. Gremlins 2 was considered the better film by the few who actually watched it at the time, and has gained traction as the years went by, but the original Gremlins is an iconic movie that covers multiple genres (family, horror, fantasy, comedy, holiday, etc). Most people don’t remember that a second Gremlins movie was even released, but those that do tend to regard it as the more entertaining flick.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gremlins 2 and TCM 2 are the greatest sequels of all time.

Co-signed, OP.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

There’s a second Turner Classic Movies channel? Maybe I should sign back up for cable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I liked Gremlins 2 and I've still never even seen the original.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gremlins 2 owns bones for a lot of reasons, but Phoebe Cates stopping the movie for another grim holiday story to viciously parody the tonal whiplash of the first film is some top-tier metatrolling on Joe Dante’s part.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CountFosco posted:

I liked Gremlins 2 and I've still never even seen the original.

The original is fantastic; it's just a different kind of movie. It's just funny/mean/scary enough where they all combine well. Watch it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

Gremlins 2 owns bones for a lot of reasons, but Phoebe Cates stopping the movie for another grim holiday story to viciously parody the tonal whiplash of the first film is some top-tier metatrolling on Joe Dante’s part.

Also, the scene with the technicians asking how, exactly, feeding after midnight even works,and the movie basically going "gently caress you" is hilarious.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

I saw Gremlins 2 in the theatre on the day that I had two wisdom teeth removed, so the dentist scene was particularly memorable for me. :stonklol:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

no mom very hungry posted:

I saw Gremlins 2 in the theatre on the day that I had two wisdom teeth removed, so the dentist scene was particularly memorable for me. :stonklol:

*no mom leaving the theatre*

I shouldn't have seen that movie on pain meds, I was hallucinating. For a second I thought the movie stopped and Hulk Hogan came out...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

In the novelization, the Gremlins attack the author.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1080157585750159360

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
The main reason Gremlins 2 was so much better than the first is the lack of Interference from Spielberg. Joe Dante had said in interviews with Starlog both around the time of the first movie’s release and around the release of 2 that he had a much more chaotic and humourous vision for the first movie, but Spielberg essentially wanted an 80s version of a 50s monster movie.

Luckily, old Steve was too busy counting money and churning out pablum to gently caress up The Second Batch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

By far my favorite thing about Gremlins 2 is that Christopher Lee appeared in it as an apology to Joe Dante for starring in Howling II. Dante hated the fact that the producers cut him out of the sequel.

I don't think Lee had a drat thing to apologize for because Howling II is amazing in its own right, but Lee was a mensch for wanting to make it up to him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gremlins 2 really does seem like it was just an endeavor of madcap love. Like everybody seems like they had a blast on it, and I think it shows on the screen.

Also, man I love that Dante tweet. But it’s a little sad seeing Dick Miller look so aged. And I know he’s ninety, but the dude looked fifty for seventy of them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fart City posted:

Gremlins 2 really does seem like it was just an endeavor of madcap love. Like everybody seems like they had a blast on it, and I think it shows on the screen.

Also, man I love that Dante tweet. But it’s a little sad seeing Dick Miller look so aged. And I know he’s ninety, but the dude looked fifty for seventy of them.

Gilbert Gottfried interviewed him a couple years ago. His mind is still there for the most part. He had some pretty good stories.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fart City posted:

OKC had a showing early last month of Gremlins at Tower Theater and when Phoebe Cates told her terrible story, the room of about 50 people, ages early teen to mid-fifties laughed during the entire thing. I never got the feeling that it was a humorous moment.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ReapersTouch posted:

OKC had a showing early last month of Gremlins at Tower Theater and when Phoebe Cates told her terrible story, the room of about 50 people, ages early teen to mid-fifties laughed during the entire thing. I never got the feeling that it was a humorous moment.

I just saw Gremlins for the first time the other week. I laughed during it. It’s soooooo grim and traumatic but also such a stupid way to die.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ReapersTouch posted:

It's always been a funny scene. I remember laughing my rear end off when I was a kid. It shows how well written and performed the scene is. It's horrific but it's the funniest part of the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey OP, just wanted to thank you for starting this up and that Gremlins 2 is a wonderful gem of a movie that deserves to be analyzed.

I love both Gremlins and Gremlins 2 equally, for different reasons (I'm sorry but the Gremlins Carolers and the Gremlins Flasher ALWAYS make me laugh, same as the Brain Gremlin and the Girl Gremlin)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gremlins 2 is great because it doesn't pull any punches about how ridiculous it is and the Key and Peele sketch was spot on about "everybody just make your own fuckin Gremlin." The movie knows how loving absurd it is and makes zero attempt to dissuade you from its premise. The "end of the world" video that CEO puts on is fantastic and so is the talking Gremlin who's like, "we just want culture, like you do" which is pretty true; the Gremlins loving loved watching movies and playing cards and poo poo in the first movie so this is the logical conclusion. With all the evolutionary poo poo going on it's basically Shin Godzilla For Beginners.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean the first movie is really cool because the inventor dad is a capitalist nightmare who tries to "value add" to poo poo and just fucks up; he tries to commodity the natural world and the end result is a nightmare that turns capitalism's own complexity against itself, an artificial entropy of tech with the end result of catapulting the town's biggest rear end in a top hat capitalist out her own window to her death.

Gremlins 2 smartly observes that the technological complexity IS ALSO the hierarchy, i.e. you're trapped in this big fuckin' skyscraper and assigned your own floor and none of it works and you look like an rear end in a top hat and your boss harasses you and there's nothing you can do until liberated by the chaos of the Gremlins.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'll go on record saying that I didn't like Gremlins 2 when I saw it in the theater. I saw Gremlins in the theater at the age of 7 and it scared me and by the time I watched Gremlins 2 as a 13 year old I suspect I was just too cool to be scared and probably completely oblivious to the humor aspect. I'll have to rewatch it.

Gremlins 2 is the greatest Looney Tunes cartoon ever made. A lot of the initial Gremlins are based off of characters from the cartoons (the big dumb/small smart pair are p obviously the gangsters, and the novelization calls them George and Lenny in a double reference to, obviously, of mice and men but also the abominable snowman from the cartoons), it's a wacky series of events that primarily serve to set up the next big punchline, it's magical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DLC Inc posted:

gremlins 2 is great because it doesn't pull any punches about how ridiculous it is and the Key and Peele sketch was spot on about "everybody just make your own fuckin Gremlin." The movie knows how loving absurd it is and makes zero attempt to dissuade you from its premise. The "end of the world" video that CEO puts on is fantastic and so is the talking Gremlin who's like, "we just want culture, like you do" which is pretty true; the Gremlins loving loved watching movies and playing cards and poo poo in the first movie so this is the logical conclusion. With all the evolutionary poo poo going on it's basically Shin Godzilla For Beginners.

So fun fact

The other inspiration for Clamp was Ted Turner, that's why there's a gag about him adding color to a black and white movie

That end of the world video is based on an actual video that Turner had produced in the 80s to air in the event of the apocalypse. You can find it online pretty easily, it's wild