Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

In the novelization, the Gremlins attack the author.

Specifically the smart one who drank the brain serum ties him up and hijacks the typewriter, and then talks about how Leonard Maltin can eat poo poo for not liking the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hulk Hogan cutting a promo that makes the Gremlins give the movie back to the audience....now there's a wonderful sentence to type.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hulk Hogan cutting a promo that makes the Gremlins give the movie back to the audience....now there's a wonderful sentence to type.

I remember the original VHS release had a new scene where John Wayne shoots the Gremlins instead

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember the original VHS release had a new scene where John Wayne shoots the Gremlins instead

Sadly, Warner Brothers only had the rights for that scene to be in the VHS version, so the Laserdisc, even though it came out the same day, has the Hulk Hogan intermission.

Another fun fact about the laserdisc: it came out during a period where not only did Warner put out widescreen versions on laser, they were actually open matte, so all the file footage of exteriors in the film (I.e. the Chinatown street footage) is actually in 4:3 on laser with the actual movie material in 1.85:1.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Deadguy2322 posted:

Sadly, Warner Brothers only had the rights for that scene to be in the VHS version, so the Laserdisc, even though it came out the same day, has the Hulk Hogan intermission.

Another fun fact about the laserdisc: it came out during a period where not only did Warner put out widescreen versions on laser, they were actually open matte, so all the file footage of exteriors in the film (I.e. the Chinatown street footage) is actually in 4:3 on laser with the actual movie material in 1.85:1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2K1vqcuuc

It's a gag that the younger folks probably won't get.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The alternate home video sequence is included in the iTunes extras. I bought the two movie bundle on sale last year for :10bux: I think.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

empty baggie posted:

The alternate home video sequence is included in the iTunes extras. I bought the two movie bundle on sale last year for :10bux: I think.

I’d have to double-check, but it also might be on the Blu-Ray. I would love a reissue on Blu that allowed either version through branching!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
It's been so long since I've seen Gremlins 2 that it's hard for me to comment on anything specifically, but I do remember the transition from 1 to 2 being almost the same level of surprising/satisfying as going from The Evil Dead to Evil Dead II. It's hard to pull off that level of playful self-mockery without going overboard and undermining the validity of what came before, but both Gremlins 2 and Evil Dead II accomplish it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love the bit where Hulk smoothly pulls out and squeezes a bucket of popcorn, it's definitely really cartoony.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gremlins 2 is like Batman Returns where the WB just throws a bunch of money at a director to make a sequel. I love both movies dearly.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Gremlins 2 is like Batman Returns where the WB just throws a bunch of money at a director to make a sequel. I love both movies dearly.

I think both cases also involve the directors indulging themselves more in their specific influences. Returns is Burton’s big gonzo love-letter to German expressionism, and Gremlins 2 is just Dante letting his Roger Corman freak flag fly.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So fun fact

The other inspiration for Clamp was Ted Turner, that's why there's a gag about him adding color to a black and white movie

That end of the world video is based on an actual video that Turner had produced in the 80s to air in the event of the apocalypse. You can find it online pretty easily, it's wild

The gag about watching Casablanca "now in full colour, with a happier ending" makes me laugh. But then I watched the colourised version of Casablanca and it looks so drat weird.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

empty baggie posted:

I can't find it, but years ago on Youtube I saw a really well executed fan made version that changed the 'gremlins wreck the movie' meta interlude so it was like a DVR menu, and the Gremlins deleted stuff off it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FYI this thread got me talking with my wife about the Gremlins duology last night and we had a very fun conversation about how both movies poo poo all over consumerism big time. And then we digressed into how she didn't believe me when I told her the Howling was about a werewolf sex cult.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can't find it, but years ago on Youtube I saw a really well executed fan made version that changed the 'gremlins wreck the movie' meta interlude so it was like a DVR menu, and the Gremlins deleted stuff off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REGCV6z3VkM

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Holy cow that rules!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I misremembered the deleting stuff part but yes, this is what I was thinking of. It's absolutely incredible.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gremlins 2 was one of the first movies my wife and I watched together when we were dating. She'd seen Gremlins and liked it, but she'd always heard Gremlins 2 was "a dumb sequel".

In the years since then it's become one of our absolute favorite movies and we watch it at least twice a year. It's just so much fun to watch, and I swear I catch new stuff in the background every time.

My (soon to be) brother in law borrowed the movie, watched it, and hated it. When he returned it to us he said "This movie was a little too weird for me, I couldn't even finish it." He made it to the Spider Gremlin and turned it off. My wife and I no longer trust his taste in movies, and I think a lot about the fact that he didn't even get to the musical number.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid. My siblings and I would watch it all the time. John Glover is just *adorable* in it, and that stupid building is wonderful.

Phoebe Cates - I saw the second film first. I always found her story in the second one amusing, but the first movie is just a bit too cruel for me. Just a taste thing. I didn't find her story funny, I found it wildly upsetting. I was, and am, pretty soft-hearted though. I also didn't like the bit where the lady's chairlift fires her into the air and probably kills her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dick Miller passed away.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Davros1 posted:

Dick Miller passed away.

Goddammit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

Dick Miller passed away.

gently caress.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1099383391840096256

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lol edgar wright's reply

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People exist who hate Gremlins 2? What the gently caress

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Lol edgar wright's reply

And then John Glover's reply

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gremlins 2 has a BTS featurette that's hosted by the Brain Gremlin and goes exactly how you'd expect a featurette starring a hyperintelligent, violent monster to go.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Easy Diff posted:

Gremlins 2 has a BTS featurette that's hosted by the Brain Gremlin and goes exactly how you'd expect a featurette starring a hyperintelligent, violent monster to go.

more special features should be done in character

I recall one DVD for King of the Hill had an audio track of the cast in character

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love this film and really wish the OP had continued.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I recall one DVD for King of the Hill had an audio track of the cast in character

Although its dumb and I hate it, Dr Horribles Sing-a-Long blog had a commentary track that was also a musical, which is kinf of amazing

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I want to buy property in New York one day because of Gremlins 2. Not because of the city, mind you, but because I still have a crush on that redhead lady that, after acting, became a real estate person.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Davros1 posted:

And then John Glover's reply

This makes me really happy, mainly because I was positive he had died a few years ago.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The DVD of Mars Attacks! had a gag dialog track in Martian, but it only lasts for 10 or so minutes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

The DVD of Mars Attacks! had a gag dialog track in Martian, but it only lasts for 10 or so minutes.

drat, would have been a much stronger joke if it kept going until the yodelling scene

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Mel Mudkiper posted:

drat, would have been a much stronger joke if it kept going until the yodelling scene

drat, I never thought of that, but it really is a genius idea. The only problem is that the Martian speak gets really grating when it’s constant.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Galaxy Quest has an entire audio track dubbed in Thermian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Fire: The untamed element. Oldest of man's mysteries. Giver of warmth, destroyer of forests. Right now, this building is on fire.