Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Warbird posted:

All I've seen is that Mr. Park knowingly slept with someone's wife while they were still married and has a DUI. Both are lovely behavior but don't really play into the game. It is a bit weird that Pat didn't mention the MTX stuff but given that it was a preview code it could have been stipulated that he couldn't or they simply may not have been in place.

the thing about the mtx is that the only place in the game where its even mentioned is a "online store" button on the main menu. it doesn't even advertise any of that stuff in game, or do the advertisements for bundles like many other games with mtx have. it's super ignorable like most of capcoms mtx poo poo, where its basically all just the stuff bundled with their deluxe editions segmented out.

the only actually thing on that store that would make a sincere difference is the port crystal, because those are pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Motto posted:

They mostly complained about the game's design being too archaic, obtuse, and mean, then said you're encouraged to pay to fast travel (you cannot do this).
It sounds like the existence of the MTX caused a bunch of confusion about it's exact nature.

Honestly I almost don't feel sorry for the game catching that misinformation cause I am 100% for MTX in single player games causing negative press.

I mean, I feel a bit bad a little since it probably wasn't the dev's choice, but capcom forcing it on the game, but in an ideal world publishers get more skittish about games they put out getting review bombed over stupid MTX BS. (But I realize how naïve this probably is since it will just turn into how much better can they hide it.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I went and looked at Sterling's video and broadly I agree microtransactions suck (like I said before), but she starts ranting about how expensive ferrystones are. And like, yeah, they're expensive, but they're also not one of the buyable DLC items. You need to buy them or pick them up in the game. I think I've picked up like 4 in-game? I haven't bothered using one because it's not that hard to jog back to town when you're done, killing and poking around as you go. Every time I run out on an errand I come back with 10-30k in gold. If you want to fast travel, there's an oxcart that goes between towns for 100 gold. You can "doze off" in the cart and it warps you there. The only downside is sometimes there's a monster ambush, but if you hated fighting monsters you wouldn't be playing this game.

The Portcrystal is the buyable item:

Like I said, you're buying your way to getting one early. And the major cities have fixed port crystals in them, so if you do find yourself in hot poo poo and need to ferrystone out, you're not SOL.

I wish the microtransactions weren't there because I think what amounts to newbie traps suck. I guess I just hope the blowback stops them from adding anything more. Not optimistic on that though given they reworked Monster Hunter: World to be constantly visibly reminding you in-game that some cosmetics are locked because you didn't buy them off the store.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Warbird posted:

All I've seen is that Mr. Park knowingly slept with someone's wife while they were still married and has a DUI. Both are lovely behavior but don't really play into the game. It is a bit weird that Pat didn't mention the MTX stuff but given that it was a preview code it could have been stipulated that he couldn't or they simply may not have been in place.

He’s always been pretty up front about having a pretty checkered past, so in a weird way it’s kind of a relief to see that he’s not making that stuff up to make himself look cool on the internet.

Indecisive posted:

taxing stupid people into buying poo poo they don't need is a time-honored american tradition, if you think that's evil well have i got news for you about video games

lol oh come on. People have a right to be annoyed about bullshit in the gaming industry.

Motto posted:

They mostly complained about the game's design being too archaic, obtuse, and mean, then said you're encouraged to pay to fast travel (you cannot do this).

Well, then that’s not great.

I still think it’s kind of bs to insinuate she’s a lying grifter though.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 26, 2024

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Not only that, but also saying that the game's design was specifically made more annoying and difficult as some sort of driving force to get people to do microtransactions to get traversal items to make it 'less of a grind' or whatever. Ignoring that, like you said, that isn't a thing.

Like, they even just straight up say it's a scam job of a game lmao.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I stopped watching Sterling around 2019 when their industry commentary, while usually on point, got repetitive, but I've always thought that their actual game reviews were pretty bad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

honestly I think that's part of the problem of MTX. It immediately brings into the question if certain design choices were made for cynical reasons. Even if they 100% weren't, it's hard to escape that vibe for how many games have intentionally gotten grindier so shortcut MTX become more attractive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

Oh so "stupid" people can get scammed? Cool.

People need to be more comfortable with accepting the thing they like might have a flaw.

It is dumb but also it is actually cool and funny to make fun of anyone dumb enough to buy red orbs in dmc5. I'm sorry but it's a fairly small flaw and people are going frothing mad over it are just as dumb as anyone who would buy ten stacks of ammo in re4 remake as dlc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They're also often just making poo poo up when talking about it (see Josh strife Hayes correction video he had to hurry out). You can buy 1 port crystal but none of the items to actually use it and the game has a hard limit of 10 active and you can get more than that in game as you play it so basically you're paying 5 bucks for a fast travel point you can't use with our spending in game gold in the early game that is much better used on gear and items and you don't really need a fast travel point until like right before you unlock your first on in the story anyway.

It's idiots on Twitter getting overly mad (shocking) about something they're not actually engaging with and backed up with idiots with bigger followings getting thing wrong. It sucks but it's hilariously blown out of proportion.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It is dumb but also it is actually cool and funny to make fun of anyone dumb enough to buy red orbs in dmc5. I'm sorry but it's a fairly small flaw and people are going frothing mad over it are just as dumb as anyone who would buy ten stacks of ammo in re4 remake as dlc.

its very cool and good when the game i like scams people with worthless buyables but very bad when the game i dont like sells cosmetics

it's really easy to accept that a game you like is doing something stupid and scummy and that no gamer is free of sin of liking something bad or problematic or slightly stupid. I don't know why goons need to twist themselves into knots rationalizing over this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

its very cool and good when the game i like scams people with worthless buyables but very bad when the game i dont like sells cosmetics

it's really easy to accept that a game you like is doing something stupid and scummy and that no gamer is free of sin of liking something bad or problematic. I don't know why goons need to twist themselves into knots rationalizing over this.

I keep saying it's bad I don't know why you're trying to pretend I'm saying it's good. There's no twisting here. It sucks but it's also very very far from.the worst microtransaction and is entirely ignorable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I keep saying it's bad I don't know why you're trying to pretend I'm saying it's good. There's no twisting here. It sucks but it's also very very far from.the worst microtransaction and is entirely ignorable.

"its cool and good to make fun of people who buy scam mtx" comes across oddly like defending/saying its 'good'

I have to imagine people buying some of this poo poo do so because they literally don't know how useless it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

"its cool and good to make fun of people who buy scam mtx" comes across oddly like defending/saying its 'good'

I have to imagine people buying some of this poo poo do so because they literally don't know how useless it is.

No it's not. It's stupid dlc and they shouldn't have put it in because its charging real money for things you easily get in game which has the natural corollary that if you do by it you're a sucker. It's 3 bucks for a one time consumable enemy bait. It's the exact same stupid terrible poo poo like buying red orbs in dmc5. It's obvious how useless it is. And just playing the game for an hour before buying the dlc would show you that.

That's not a twist or double standard you're just being dumb to try and read it as one.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 26, 2024

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

honestly I think that's part of the problem of MTX. It immediately brings into the question if certain design choices were made for cynical reasons. Even if they 100% weren't, it's hard to escape that vibe for how many games have intentionally gotten grindier so shortcut MTX become more attractive.

it does not bring that into question when its obviously a capcom mandate across all of their games to include a bunch of worthless stuff as mtx to hit a quota

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's turned into a noxious swamp. Lot of people on one side finding out about the microtransactions and either not understanding the in-game impact, or hearing the ridiculous lies and harassing anyone who likes the game or promoted it. Then there's that vein of people on the other side who will harass anyone falling for the lies or even being vaguely critical of microtransactions because people can't be normal about a thing they like.

I think some of it's also being fed by gamer rage at the game being a quirky, challenging thing people haven't been trained to swallow as brilliant like Elden Ring. And it's a diverse fantasy world with many different races and skin tones. Also the pawns call you gay. (They don't actually but people are taking it that way.)

lol you weren’t kidding

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its a miracle capcom even let itsuno make dragons dogma 2. it was always going to rub a lot of people the wrong way design-wise but i have to say this is the weirdest way for that to happen

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

dmc5 came out over 5yrs ago, well enough time for people to now know to do the research of "oh this mtx sucks. oh I can just unlock this poo poo for free during the course of the game? who cares".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

studio mujahideen posted:

its a miracle capcom even let itsuno make dragons dogma 2. it was always going to rub a lot of people the wrong way design-wise but i have to say this is the weirdest way for that to happen

That's kinda why I think this is all happening. DD1 was seen as this diamond in the rough cult classic and 2 being billed as this "Itsuno's true vision given another chance!" artiste game raised expectations through the roof. That's why stuff like really ignorable mtx, the performance issues, and the game doubling down of its weird idiosyncrasies is getting treated way harsher than it needs to be.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's kinda why I think this is all happening. DD1 was seen as this diamond in the rough cult classic and 2 being billed as this "Itsuno's true vision given another chance!" artiste game raised expectations through the roof. That's why stuff like really ignorable mtx, the performance issues, and the game doubling down of its weird idiosyncrasies is getting treated way harsher than it needs to be.

The double down owns and is a big part of why it's so fun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dragon's Dogma MTX are both bad and unnecessary. But I have to ask who and also why is anyone buying them? Is this just a thing I don't get like not looking up any info about a movie and just walking in to watch something picked randomly? The way people are talking about them now I get the impression most people are buying a game and also every piece of available DLC boosters they've got on the page.

Like here's a couple from Like a Dragon that're also mediocre:

No info on item rarity or how much they raise levels or anything. Do people just hate the concept of grinding that much that they're desperate to avoid it to that degree? This is kinda like the conversation around Helldivers 2 since it does have unlock screens that look like a battlepass but you can find all those currency in game though so...

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The real kick is if Ubisoft made this game they'd be non-stop riffing on it but because it's glorious Capcom it's apparently fine actually

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

The real kick is if Ubisoft made this game they'd be non-stop riffing on it but because it's glorious Capcom it's apparently fine actually

i dont think thats true

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah but is Dragons Dogma 2 good?

I've really been locked into this angry gamer mob, if it isn't clear

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Shinjobi posted:

If you liked the 1st game you will like this one. If you didn't, you won't. That's the long and short of it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If this was an Ubisoft game everyone would be able to calmly agree microtransactions are bad (everyone normal already agrees on that). And also there wouldn't be any confusion about game mechanics that misrepresent the problem, or lead to circular arguments where one side thinks explaining why these microtransactions are a scam means you love microtransactions, because every Ubisoft game plays one of 3 ways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I still think it’s kind of bs to insinuate she’s a lying grifter though.
didnt she think the faust hat in dmc5 was a microtransaction mechanic (because it fires red orbs and you could buy a single red orb pack as dlc)

DanJhonson
Mar 13, 2011

It's Dragons Dogma 1 but bigger, if you like DD1 then DD2 is a sure thing, feels like a more well realized version of the first game about 20 hours in.

The MTX stuff causing this huge backlash for Dragons Dogma 2 of all things baffles me also. I get the distaste for MTX in general, and I also get giving Capcom poo poo for forcing this poo poo on their developers, but I don't get why Dragons Dogma 2 of all things is getting it so much worse than any of their past games, or any of DD2's contemporaries.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth JUST came out and had nowhere near this level of backlash for it's MTX, said MTX is worse cause nothing they are selling you can get in game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DanJhonson posted:

It's Dragons Dogma 1 but bigger, if you like DD1 then DD2 is a sure thing, feels like a more well realized version of the first game about 20 hours in.

The MTX stuff causing this huge backlash for Dragons Dogma 2 of all things baffles me also. I get the distaste for MTX in general, and I also get giving Capcom poo poo for forcing this poo poo on their developers, but I don't get why Dragons Dogma 2 of all things is getting it so much worse than any of their past games, or any of DD2's contemporaries.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth JUST came out and had nowhere near this level of backlash for it's MTX, said MTX is worse cause nothing they are selling you can get in game.
dragon's dogma 2 has more friction between the player and the game than most big games (certainly way more than ff7r2) and people who aren't familiar with the first game can only conceive of this as a trick to get you to buy the DLC. thats why their brains glitch out when yuo tell them the DLC barely even helps

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Sterling used to be a huge dynasty warriors fan, a franchise famous for mtx and inane grinding, so complaining DD2 wastes your time is a very lol thing to say

DanJhonson
Mar 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

dragon's dogma 2 has more friction between the player and the game than most big games (certainly way more than ff7r2) and people who aren't familiar with the first game can only conceive of this as a trick to get you to buy the DLC. thats why their brains glitch out when yuo tell them the DLC barely even helps

That makes sense, folks not knowing what they are getting themselves into with a Dragons Dogma game and thinking the thing that game is going for is a scam instead of it just going for a hyper-specific thing by design like the original, and the MTX just being some dumb Capcom mandated tacked on thing for all their stuff.

I imagine some of this is also DD2 being weirdly popular (or at least it seems popular) for how niche of a game it is too, so you get a lot of folks who just don't know what they are getting themselves into.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm so mad sony came out with the playstation Portal to trick people into playing games they already own on a new screen they don't even need (they already own a tv thru natural progression of products)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

It doubled and tripled down on basicly every design decision the original made.

It owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Judge Tesla posted:

Sterling used to be a huge dynasty warriors fan, a franchise famous for mtx and inane grinding, so complaining DD2 wastes your time is a very lol thing to say

Key phrase there is "used to be". Everyone has their tolerance levels until they hit a breaking point.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i have come to the conclusion that any big twitter """discourse""" is 90% fueled by dumb idiots who don't know what they are talking about and should be ignored

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Arc Hammer posted:

Key phrase there is "used to be". Everyone has their tolerance levels until they hit a breaking point.

DW9 I believe was the breaking point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Indecisive posted:

i have come to the conclusion that any big twitter """discourse""" is 90% fueled by dumb idiots who don't know what they are talking about and should be ignored

This and then secondhand dumb dumbs trying to justify the first groups overreacting.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

didnt she think the faust hat in dmc5 was a microtransaction mechanic (because it fires red orbs and you could buy a single red orb pack as dlc)

If you could could buy infinite red orb packs, as opposed to a one time purchase, then yes I could see it as a micro transaction mechanic. However, if it’s just a purchase that can be made once and only once, then it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a mechanic.

I will admit it’s been a few years since I have tuned into Sterling, and if she has started to regularly make claims like this since then I can see why her reputation has started to take a dive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean even if you could buy infinite red orb packs the hat takes an absolutely miniscule amount to use and the whole idea of the hat is you earn more for killing enemies with it, its a risk/reward thing, but the reward is weighted extremely heavily in your favor. and you could always just get more red orbs to fuel it by... using your other weapons?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The whole point of the hat is that using it returned an order of magnitude more orbs than you spent using it.

She's just kind of dumb sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean even if you could buy infinite red orb packs the hat takes an absolutely miniscule amount to use and the whole idea of the hat is you earn more for killing enemies with it, its a risk/reward thing, but the reward is weighted extremely heavily in your favor. and you could always just get more red orbs to fuel it by... using your other weapons?

Oh! Then that’s a completely absurd claim for Sterling to make then.