Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Real missed opportunity to call the thread the Ultra Mortal enemies thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

To be fair, Fate...is bad.

Okay, I personally don't know if it's bad, but every time people recommend it every single fuckin' series and spin-off comes with a list of caveats attached to them.

It's a franchise where the core of it is a 3 route VN that is really not good and also takes dozens of hours to get through and most of the consumable adaptations are really bad or are of parts that spoil earlier parts or are non-canon/side stories that are also mostly bad and show off how lazy the character designer for the franchise is.

Red Saber/ Saber OF Read, go gently caress yourself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

RE2MAKE made me realize how much better the series was before they brought back Wesker

RE1-3 are mechanically trash and filled with just the most filler bullshit imaginable.

The Remakes alleviate a lot of the problems but before them the franchise's only good games were 4 and some of 5 mostly because they had the good sense to turn into how stupid the entire setting cast and story of RE is.

Wesker in 5 and Leon in 4 are the only times any of the classic cast are any fun or are interesting at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Resident Evil begins at 4, then?

It starts when Wesker says "7 Minutes....."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at this scrub quotes poo poo

There's a reason even the remakes moved away from old RE style stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roth posted:

But the first game's remake plays almost exactly like the original version.

It doesn't control like complete rear end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man in the best friends thread getting salty about tank controls lol

Don't call me a man and yeah they're really bad and largely a relic of an old era that thankfully fell away do to games being made where you could actually move a camera around

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roth posted:

But it has the same tank controls and everything?

You could pick a not terrible control scheme.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wah there is like a two.minute learning curve for the controls that allows for dramatic camera angles and really nice high def rendered backgrounds I hate it

Ahh yes the dramatic camera angle of Looking Down a hallway where every enemy is off screen and you're just firing rounds off into space. Truly a masterpiece of cinematography. Love to have a 15 ft square room have 4 different camera angles it hard cuts to as I'm just trying to move forward. Lynchian IMO.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wesker loving rules, sorry.

He's so good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roth posted:

Is that in the HD release?

IDK what Mel is trying to do, but it's really embarrassing to watch.

Yeah in the HD rererelease you can pick non-tank controls.

Also yeah mel is....he's havin a real fit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Parents posted:

yeah and its literally harder to control because you sprint in different directions any time the camera angle changes instead of "you press forward to go forward". god drat just because you suck at a game doesnt mean it suckls

Just because you sucked at the free controls doesnt mean they sucked.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly she does not have anything to apologize for.

It's legit impressive in 2 out of your 5 posts itt you managed to already move your goals posts from "Hey look she just is dumb and doesnt' understand what dumb things she did " to "actually she did nothing wrong."

Real strong conviction hours.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Crossposting from Game Chat:

Someone really should just smash Hashino's hands any time he gets withing 20 feet of a keyboard

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Yeah but he *didn't* get into it when he was 12. He marathoned it as a grown adult like last year.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He talks about how he and his girlfriend both cried during the opening and I am like "ummm"

I mean, I played 1 and 2 so its not like I have never experienced the series but there is a level of admiration here that is wholly alien to me

Taes right you both suck rear end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Apparently that's not the case and the person who insists otherwise is a less-than-reliable source.

So you know, grain of salt and all that.

Also in the original game the entire male cast keeps throwing passive aggressive barbs at Erica about not being a real woman, she gets sent to the nightmare world for men who are bad at getting women pregnant, and when the guy who didn't know her pre-transition hooks up with her and then finds out about her history he acts super distraught about losing his virginity to her.

The director of Catherine is pretty infamous for having Opinions About LGBT People so people aren't exactly eager to give his work the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

Toby shows up in that ending the same age he is in game and since he's a decade younger than the rest of the cast it does not take place in the gently caress ing past. The people trying to sell you that are dupshits desperate to explain away the Same kind of gross writing the author has put out over the last 15 years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Parents posted:

I have never played Catherine since i don't like Qbert puzzle games but from all available evidence online you are lying to try to make people upset.

Dude there's literally pictures of Erica pre transition standing next to Toby arm around his shoulder. You literally don't know what you are talking about

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Toby is canonically a decade younger than the rest of the cast who went to school together.

gently caress off with this bullshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still don't get why you were mad about kingdom hearts

It was a real dumb question to go "why does someone care so much about this thing I like??? He only played it recently". Like it's cause he connected with it when you didn't. It comes across as, like Tae said, weird gatekeeping.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

The line literally translates as something close to "I wonder if there's any angels like that left in this world". No mention of 'women' or 'girls'. Erica could just as easily be a gay man in the new timeline.

Even if it was the imaginary implication Your Parents thinks it was it's still the writer.going out of their way to show Erica as a man in the supposed everyone got what they wanted happy ending in the context of a game who's narrative goes out of its way to make sure you know she's really a man even in the eyes of God since she's affected by the curse. It's just one more little barb on the gross writing and transphobic poo poo that the game dumps out.

Also this is Ignoring the qeird implication that I'm clearly just lying to get people mad and not you know...a transwomen just super sqeezed out by the game going out of its way in New content to dump even harder on transwomen.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Your Parents posted:

are you? the ending is literally saying she's going to transition and get together with toby.

It literally does not imply that at all. At most it implies she's living as a gay man.

I'm sorry you're stupid but me being grossed out by this transphobic garbage isn't me trying to trick people into being mad. That's you own brain demons

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I factor in previous behaviour sometimes but like, you can't link the same probe to multiple posts, so

I don't have plat so I'll say this here, thank you for probing Your Parents Junpei cause them trying to turn my discomfort in how poorly the transwoman in Catherine is handled into me emotionally manipulating...someone I guess felt really creepy and gross.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So as someone who didn't play Catherine, was everyone lovely about Erica or was it just the one guy who acted all Crying Game about it because 'liKiNG TRAps Is GaY' since every fiction has to be accurate to the oppression of being a minority and we can't let them have a nice story.

Like, is this actually a case of cooler heads prevailing and actually the director who keeps putting in all the callous poo poo about lgbt people in the Persona games wasn't trying to say that in a perfect world Erica never transitioned and they're a much better character because of it? Because- my experience was all secondhand but- I thought everyone was kind of an rear end to Erica in the game but people- who are real and playing it- liked her regardless.

Vincent could be a dick to her sometimes but Toby was the worst and Johnny usually tried to reign it all in. The shittier things that happen to Erica are writer's fiat like her being part of the curse that only affects men and them deadnaming her in the credits when I don't think her deadname is spoken more than once previously.

It's less the characters not thinking she's a woman and more the writer and narratives hand making sure you know she's not.

Like in the context of the new stuff and everything else the writer/producer has done It's more "She's better off as a gay man"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 19, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Matts stuff sucks rear end and hearing that he continues to put out bad content doesn't surprise me.

I'm not hating on the person himself, to be perfectly clear, but he just has no personality in his videos whatsoever. I tried watching his direct reaction and it was just the same timid boring Matt, just without anyone to even try bouncing off of.

Blockhouse posted:

The Matt nintendo direct video was extremely dire

Like he might as well only have put up the bit with Astral Chain because everything else was "I don't know/care what this is" topped off with him being upset the Link's Awakening art style wasn't "cool" enough

Yeah Matt without someone to bounce off of has kind of been a let down. He's just kind of bland in a lot of his latest stuff which is a shame because he can turn a phrase like no other.

"No no no...find out what will kill me then back it up a little" is a joke that haunts my brain to this day.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nalesh posted:

I don't play ffxiv myself but every time I've had a basic interest in it the advice from people I know who play it is "just rush through ARR and the first expansion because they're poo poo", so not sure I'd count that one yet :v:

Those people are extremely stupid because Heavensward is legit some of the best writing in the game and the Franchise as a whole and way better than the current expac.

Also ARR is good too.

Also catching up on the thread and lol at whoever said FF didn't have any LGBT rep. in a post talking about things being coded as gay.

Not even counting Fang/Vanille, just look at loving Kuja. You fool, you idiot, you rubes.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 16, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

This Anthem Wha Happun is like

actually really bad

"I saw a guy speculating on Reddit" is not actual research

it and the fallout ones just make me thinks he should hold off on anything that isn't actually done breaking down.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Everyone saying being hard is core to souls games is dumb as poop cause they're all actually about their dumb lore and set design. People enjoying the gameplay are enjoying the art wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

That is to say talking about how art is intended to be enjoyed (In the way that I personally enjoy it) and getting mad that someone thinks it'd be fine to enjoy in another way is criminally loving stupid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

its more like people liking art and other people getting mad that it isnt easier to enjoy. in fact thats literally what it is

Nah there's a lot of cool poo poo in souls games that aren't tied to the games being difficult or in fact the gameplay at all so acting like the gameplay is the whole of the art is once again criminally stupid.

Bloodborne is legit amazing at nailing its horror tone and art direction and very little of it has to to do with the fact that some people think the gameplay is hard.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark souls has a lot of poo poo focused on the stories in them and they tell them through item pick ups and stupid monologues and what in saying is they've tricked a generation of awful elitist nerds into banging their heads against a wall to get the high fantasy equivalent of Gone Homes style of narrative and pretending that the fact that they were willing and able to do so somehow makes it magical and holy.

Like yeah I enjoyed it too but that doesn't mean semien playing it with a take half damage modifier is somehow destroying the art work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Like if nothing else, at least try and take home the fact that what might be liberating and would increase accessibility for one person can actually be stifling and an obstacle for someone else.

It's literally 2 A or B options in the new fire emblems. I think this is entirely just a you thing and not a strong basis to judge the idea of accessibility on for a larger swathe of the population.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Uh, I am. That I think an "easy mode" in a dark souls game would ruin the point of it doesn't mean I don't care about other people with mental disorders. Jesus christ.

Like I said the point of dark souls isn't to be hard. It might be to you but to other people they mean and experience different things about them that might have no connection to that. Just cause you latch on to a specific aspect of a work doesn't make it the whole of the work. It's the fun thing about art it's all personal interpretation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

nobody plays fromsoft games for the narrative

Nah actually you're wrong. The actual best poo poo in bloodborne and the entire reason my girlfriend got into it was the lovecraft story poo poo and art and tone. Once again your are not everyone ans your interpretation of a work is not the one true interpretation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

the easy mode argument is like saying these videos should be on disc for players that lack reading comprehension

Nah it's actually just saying people enjoy thing differently from you and that doesn't make their interests less valid or flawed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i thought the people who want easy modes dont enjoy the games

Yeah you didn't read or understand what I said.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Buy DMC5, you fucks

No. I'm too busy trying to get a copy of rising zan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

also stop using the word accessibility, the game is literally accessible to all players

Lmao you literally don't know what words mean and can't parse half the arguments being made and are now trying to Logic and Reason your way out of getting very very mad that someone doesn't enjoy a thing as much as you think they should.

Please just cry post, it's way better than trying to turn sand into gold and explain your brain demons as Truth and Fact.

CuddlyZombie posted:

drat you sure showed him that you're not using emotional appeals????

this post is stupid and so are you. gently caress you.

You didn't even try to read the first line in his post. Nice try.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Sometimes I feel like people think the only merit Souls has from an artistic standpoint is evoking frustration and relief, and that's why they think an easy mode weakens the experience. It's a decent hypothesis when coupled with the fan base complaining about "cheese" or stuff like fast travel.

And it's so weird cause each Souls-like since 1 has tried to put more and more active story poo poo into their games to the point that the newest one has like...a voice protagonist and specific character arcs and character beats but the hardcore fanbase still sees it as just the gameplay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Also discussing "intended experience" wrt artistic endeavors goes kinda against the last 50+ years of art criticism?

It's also just a naked appeal to authority over trying to actually form an argument of your own (See Ghost dogs big "ACTUALLY YOU'RE WRONG FOR THINKING IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE HERE'S SOME INTERVIEW QUOTES!" post earlier)

or this

scary ghost dog posted:

miyazaki cherishes the moments of social connection associated with shared experience, which is trivialized when you ask your friend “how did you beat that boss?” and they say “i set it to easy mode”

Like even in his imagined slight against Miyazaki's VISION it ignores how like...actual people play the games now. "HOw'd you beat that boss?" "Oh I just summoned in help." is something that happens in darks souls as miyazaki has made it now. Like making the boss easier is a thing that already exists in Miyazaki's magical perfect vision that Scary Ghost Dog has created in his head.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, tbh, I do think there are a lot of people who evoke "what about disability" as a shield against the fact they think the game is too hard.

This alone makes you a real big idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"Hmmm are these people being geniuine in their interests and ideas? No, no...they're clearly just bad at video games unlike me and lying to hide their scrubbiness." -An incredibly smart person who isn't just a weird nerd trying to make their hobby into a high horse.