Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Parents posted:

this makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I see it

I'm a big fan of this one

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/967900589903437824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ohhhh. I thought it was Ashita no Joe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Hey, if you guys have any suggestions for SBFP LPs people should watch and why, please post them here and I'll edit my second post accordingly. I have some ideas but I'll be traveling for Xmas and it might take me a while to properly format stuff.

I also need to do a second pass on the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2t-vHWWeqjY2SKH4vaqotZ6

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2tm2u4zIbi-bcQB8bgP1gdK

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2sxwbx16yXj2_zWfdSMPyjg

"It's fine"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have completely forgotten about

*A surprising event transpires in a videogame*

Liam:

I have this video to thank on reminding me about it. It's fresh every time, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHCeLYYHbk4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Liam liked my dumb comment on his first Quiet Man video and it made me feel all happy and stuff.

Then it turns out the dude's like SWERY(?) and just likes basically everyone's comments on his videos that aren't stupid. So anyway, Liam's viewer engagement is absolutely sterling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Pat needs to figure out something with his subscription and donation messages. It seems like 50%+ of his stream is just a constant rattling out of messages and user names and they still don't catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iqr0L4bUms

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pat's gonna make 80,000$ by streaming for 30 hours accidentally.

Only 16 minutes will actually be gameplay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Liam also has been doing The Quiet Man with Matt and boy that game does not make any more sense with the sound on

It is in fact
worse

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Something about 'How far will you GO?' as Liam's main phrase in these The Quiet Man streams feels weirdly unsettling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Two and a half hours to play a 30 minute demo? The gently caress is this poo poo?

Oh wow, three accounts to do it multiple times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This translates as "I don't care about other people, and that's their fault." Warning for spoilers is a basic, utterly inoffensive courtesy that requires no effort whatsoever.

I mean you'd have to care that other people would rather go see it themselves rather than hear someone else ramble about it in their car afterwards and completely misunderstand 70% of the movie in the recap.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

World of Light doing more numbers on Kirby Lore was fantastic.

Especially the interview with Sakurai afterwards. So you're telling me that Kirby isn't actually going into warp drive when the Warp Star snaps and he poofs but he's actually warping out existence everytime that happens? :psyduck:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I haven't taken the time to watch Woolie's new stuff with other people as I've been rewatching the old Souls playthroughs instead during my downtime, but how is the Jojo one regarding spoiling stuff? I never watched the old LP they did on the channel because they went full blown spoilers and warned everyone as such, is it a safe thing to put on as background noise and not get spoiled beyond the current anime so far?

We're at episode 4 and Woolie just made it to the letter e in the name your character screen. So far he's talked about the oddity of Jojo compared to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Katamari Damacy. I think by episode 20 he will have finally named the main character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Overlord K posted:

So it's pretty safe then! :v:

Added to the background noise it is. I'll give my full attention to the Katamari one when I get to catching up.

:ssh: I haven't actually watched the video, I just heard like, seven minutes to name the character or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phantasium posted:

The name screen shows up at the end of episode 3.

See, there you go. It was taking a while in some way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey, speaking of fighting games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meHvUpljEpc

God drat Fire Emblems using the most common weapon since gun was invented

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man in the best friends thread getting salty about tank controls lol

Batman's tank controlled great and more games need to follow Ratchet and Clank's lead on strafe combat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Whose blood is this?

I hope this isn't R E S I D E N T'S blood

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

I don't watch anything she shows up in, but thanks for reducing my discomfort, as a trans woman, with somebody who doubled down on going on a show with a nazi and talked over a trans woman being uncomfortable with it down to being a weirdo.

Do you also get bothered by people not wanting to watch Woody Allen movies because he's a creep?

Personally I do my best to forget that people may have personal reasons for caring about things more than I do.

I also get very hostile and agitated when I hear people are vegan or vegetarian as well. What, you think you're better than me because you don't eat meat, is that it?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh you haven't heard of that one? It's all anecdotal but the basic idea is people- maybe on the bus or just walking on street- hearing someone talking with someone in a different language and assume they're saying something about them because that's how life works.

https://twitter.com/thefurlinator/status/456652041541001216?lang=en

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

I don't know if you're just doing a bit or what, but if your point is that trans people not liking nazis and the people who willingly associate with them is on the level of you not liking vegetarians then I think I've had enough cishet nonsense for one day.

Wow, this really went terribly. I have a habit of being absolutely garbage at saying what I mean when I'm not just completely leaving half of my post unsaid. I didn't mean to equate not liking nazis and being trans with people giving vegetarians poo poo for no good reason honestly, but more that people have a set level of tolerance for poo poo and that depends person to person and if someone isn't willing to just let bygones be bygones after signal boosting some nazi adjacent POS maybe take a :thunk: on why they'd have less patience for that. The vegan and vegetarian things were more just examples that didn't really apply too well, now that you call it out.

I mean, you get tricked, you say sorry and try to move on, you don't lash at the people who try to clue you in on what's going on so you don't end up getting branded #1 nazi supporting twitch streamer like what happened to Papa Johns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

Oh, ok, I get what you're saying now. I apologize for assuming the worst.

If I was smarter and better at wording my opinions you wouldn't have to so don't worry about it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pat also has no qualms with using someone else's toothbrush. :gonk:

For someone that scared of germs and keeping things clean this is impossible to square together.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Wait, who the gently caress stops at pickups and chests in Warframe. You just run a Sweeper and fly thru poo poo.

Me, back when I was playing it, because I had no idea what I was doing. Also getting one of those options took forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So as someone who didn't play Catherine, was everyone lovely about Erica or was it just the one guy who acted all Crying Game about it because 'liKiNG TRAps Is GaY' since every fiction has to be accurate to the oppression of being a minority and we can't let them have a nice story.

Like, is this actually a case of cooler heads prevailing and actually the director who keeps putting in all the callous poo poo about lgbt people in the Persona games wasn't trying to say that in a perfect world Erica never transitioned and they're a much better character because of it? Because- my experience was all secondhand but- I thought everyone was kind of an rear end to Erica in the game but people- who are real and playing it- liked her regardless.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Vincent could be a dick to her sometimes but Toby was the worst and Johnny usually tried to reign it all in. The shittier things that happen to Erica are writer's fiat like her being part of the curse that only affects men and them deadnaming her in the credits when I don't think her deadname is spoken more than once previously.

It's less the characters not thinking she's a woman and more the writer and narratives hand making sure you know she's not.

Like in the context of the new stuff and everything else the writer/producer has done It's more "She's better off as a gay man"

Alright, I think I get it now. No wonder everyone's like gently caress him, since most of the animosity was from one character and the writing constantly putting her in situations that're way worse for no apparent reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

There's nothing offensive about the catherine segment. They think it sucks if it's true, but they can't tell because somehow nobody speaks japanese in this mess and Atlus won't spoil their new game 3 days after release.

Phantasium only brought up talking about the chat when they got to the topic of Catherine so I don't think they meant that Woolie and Pat were lovely about anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

You are absolutely correct and I can agree with most of that. I can agree with using media as a lens to see into a culture and get an idea of what they might be like or using to expose yourself. But beyond the fact I think using solely video games to try and analyze what a culture is beyond base level exposure, the ignoring of multiple Japanese games that don't do this poo poo and in some cases treat LGBT characters infinitely better than some western games do is ridiculous. Going "It's Japan" when an Atlus game comes out, but multiple other games come out alongside it and respect their characters much more than Atlus games do comes off as incredibly lovely and lazy to me. It tells me you are oversimplifying a problem that may be bigger than you think it is and might be localized not within the culture, but in the developer/writers.

Yeah, instead of looking at games that Atlus- which, where does it even rank on the video game company scale aside from under Capcom, Nintendo and Square-Enix?- puts out which feature an almost requisite moment to poo poo on gay or trans people instead look at the eternal financial superpower that is Dragon Quest and how it A) has the most fantastic man to grace the battlefield; Sylvando, and how a new release is basically declared a new holiday on the spot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Sylvando is just coded gay via his flamboyant act, that's already its own issue right there. FF has never had any LGBTQ representation IIRC (is there anything like that in FFXV?), and Nintendo doesn't even touch the stuff. Hell, they didn't even wanna deal with the Bowsettegate.

I could've swore whoever's making Dragon Quest was part of Square in some capacity. I might be wrong on that part though. I was more talking about how Atlus probably isn't the biggest company in Japan so arguments of how they're making games for a different audience who don't care about LGBTQ issues like a western audience do probably don't have a whole lot of substance since they're not the biggest one in the country to begin with.

HoboTech posted:

Mario can't even get goddamn married!

Seriously he's been saving the princess since as long as I've been alive and the most that poor plumbing bastard has gotten is a goddamn CAKE.

I still can't believe Mario's only 25.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

It's kinda hard to parse what you're trying to say here, but if I understood it correctly, it's in opposition to 4chuds that argue Japan just doesn't care and Atlus' writing is representative of that, right?

I just think your examples aren't the greatest if so, because then we move from "bad representation" to "no representation at all". It still supports people saying Japan doesn't care, just from a different angle.

Scenario: Game comes out from Japan with gross poo poo about LGBTQ people in it and then shitheads defend the parts of it that poo poo on minorities by saying ' Well it's an entirely different culture etc etc' but Atlus isn't even the biggest game company in Japan and those arguments get presented like they're the general consensus for most people there. I don't know if it's a company wide Atlus problem because I only know about this happening in the numbered Persona and Catherine games.

So basically people defending the worst parts of games because they like them and don't care about minorities and don't look at anything else like say... literature? Television, political movements, anything besides anime and video games basically.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That always did seem extremely myopic on their part.

If you don't have an income while you make videos you can easily fall back on 'Well, you get what you pay for' when people tell you your work sucks. Once you start accepting money then those people actually have a piece of driftwood to stand on to back up their complaints compared to before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

I have no idea why someone would care about a channel "flooding" their youtube feed.

I guess you have to scroll a bit more for the few hours that the videos are still new.

Despite how much of a trashfire of a website youtube is, the sub box is a precious and delicate thing that you're not supposed to interfere with. People maintain and trim them delicately as if they're bonsai trees. Consistently uploading multiple videos like this is like just growing a forest on someone's desk, it's very rude. What do they think this is, Netflix?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SKELETON CAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad that games are so much more pure now since you have to forcibly modify the original intended vision to make yourself invincible instead of that just being available if you punch in a code on the title screen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This conversation's pointless unless any of you truly hate the handicapped and are intending to go out and slaughter them to preserve the integrity of Dark Souls' hallowed 'Intended Difficulty.' And not just the men but the women and children too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfevBIsVG1o

If it's not worth starting a crusade for, then can it really be said that it's important in the slightest?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Things SBF is responsible for

1. Warframe
2. Metal Wolf Chaos in the US
3. Ironic Telltale dialog
4. Unsubscribing to Superbunnyhop

6.TierZoo

Nalesh posted:

I still love people being surprised by this, like we haven't known this for like, a decade :v:

Being stupid and throwing tantrums about an option for an easier difficulty in a video game to make it more accessible to people with disabilities don't sound right to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure Matt's very excited for Borderlands 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

https://gamerant.com/sekiro-corrupted-monk-reddit-quadriplegic/

A quadriplegic gentleman didn't have issues beating one of the harder bosses in Sekiro. Maybe disabled individuals don't need an easy mode to feel fulfilled or to beat games? Maybe by "catering" to disabled people's supposed inability to play games all you're doing is making light of the skill and dedication they put in to play it at the same level? poo poo it's the same thing with brolylegs that dude plays SF at a professional level and yet nobody brought him up. All this dogpiling is dumb reactionary bullshit designed to paint people who don't absolutely agree as monsters committing 'bad look.' Thus creating a dumb secular argument where everyone tries to show how morally superior they are than one another. In reality it was never about accessibility. If it were you wouldn't be nitpicking every endless morsel of a sentence looking for a kernel of "wrong think" to crucify someone over. It's only about looking like you care about accessibility. Funny how it only occurs when certain people refuse to pull their heads out of their asses.

yep, classy. not using anyone as a shield at all. Letting disabled people speak and act in their own interests would be too much for them after all. Better patronize them and decide what they should want. It's in their best interest after all. Especially when it's spear-headed by lazy game journos desperate to prove they aren't poo poo at games rehashing boring arguments about difficulty that we've had before. But perish the thought of someone using a group of people to further their own agenda. That never happens.

Good lord, this is the 'my dad never used a seatbelt back when he drove and he was fine' of gaming arguments.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Can we just be real and accept that journalists with brain problems and redditors are the guys that want easy mode and that persons with diverse ability are just a smoke screen?

Just be real for 5 seconds and not make it an issue of inclusion when it is an issue of ego?

Journalists are average people so if they're struggling that's a pretty good indication that hey, maybe this game needs a more comprehensive tutorial?

I don't know why people are so hostile to the idea of game journalists and I'm not saying that they're paragons of great insight on video game mechanics or anything but that's pretty much the average player's impression. There's probably not gonna be someone who platinums every game and does boss rushes one-handed while being waterboarded doing reviews so people giving up on NIER because they don't look at the map is a good idea of what the average player is gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

People are using Sekrio as an example to talk about the issue broadly. You know, to raise awareness in hopes to create a trend of other developers being more conscious about difficulty settings? Arguably people are also just venting / expressing disappointment about Sekrio's lack of difficulty settings which is just as loving valid as any other complaint about a game. People poo poo all over games for DRM and business practices and you don't see half as much gnashing of teeth and people rushing to their defence.

Also, why not use this logic on all things? Don't bother calling out companies on poor colourblind settings or poor subtitle settings, just hope the free market sorts them out!

Why should we use less than ghost peppers in our food? Make it mildier?! The weak should fear the strong!