Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oxyclean posted:

It definitely felt like Pat was over-complicating the rotation explanation in regards to "how many buttons do you press in a cycle" or whatever.

That's because Woolie needs over-complication to enjoy things (see Arkham Asylum, which he completely botched all understanding of the combat even though it's dead simple and explicitly designed to make being batman feel as easy as breathing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The thing that always made me laugh about the LP forum was that the Yogscast were goons, and their channel was the biggest thing in the UK for a long time, but it was largely ignored. I always assumed that's because they were hugely successful goons who weren't part of that sub's community.

To an extent I imagine it was also because they were mostly just goofing off in Minecraft and the such, not playing relatively structured games with defined endpoints.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They also started a Kingdom Hearts LP, although those are apparently cursed because a lot of group LP channels just die when doing those.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As a counterpoint, I actually quite enjoyed the Onimusha playthrough so far. Sure he's getting things wrong, but it's not the way it was with Batman. He isn't getting angry or frustrated in a serious way, he and Reggie are still joking and enjoying themselves as they struggle with the camera and controls.

Possibly it's because he went in expecting jank, compared to Arkham where he was expecting polish.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The point of that DLC is in fact that there’s no superpower. The guy is intensely scared and in pain and the scientist is an amoral monster for doing what he’s done.

The guy learnt Binary clicks as a form of communication, that does not make plugging him into a computer to control Geth a good idea. The fact his brother thought it could make him a super computer is intended as the brother making the exact tropey misunderstanding, and in doing so torturing someone he’s supposed to love and protect.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

oh okay, I'm only halfway through watching it so he's only just gotten to the part where it's outright saying he's autistic and a supergenius etc, good to see that they're explicitly and blatantly wrong on that

I might be misremembering stuff, and the brother is intended to be smart. But the scientist who stuffed him in a computer is indeed pretty clearly grossly wrong and misunderstanding to do so. So it might still have the super genius autistic trope, but it’s presenting the interpretation as pretty misguided as treating this like a superpower instead of as a person with a different life experience and needs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly the Matrix discussion was at least less obnoxious than hearing Pat talk about how much he wants the royal family of England to all die and his childlike glee at the Queen potentially dying soon.

That was straight up ghoulish and he even recognised it as such before doing it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dias posted:

Monarchy sucks and Queen Elizabeth has done some ghoulish poo poo in her reign too, tbf.

Yes but you don’t have to get creepy about disliking the monarchy, is my point.

I admittedly also have a hard time separating her from my mental image of a cute old grandma/great-grandma visually so like I get it in terms of the royal family sucking but also I’m pretty sure you don’t have to talk about weird fantasies of them all dying at the same time in a yacht accident.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ryaomon posted:

bootlicker spotted

Cool, I’d have the same reaction for just about anyone having weird mass murder fantasies about anyone. I don’t particularly enjoy hearing weird murder fantasies how is that bootlicking.

I don’t even particularly like most of the royal family, I just think Pat’s royal family thing is really creepy whenever he talks about it.

Frankly I’m pretty sure they won’t be my royal family much longer, as I suspect Australia will get an upswing of anti-royal sentiment when the Queen dies and I’m not opposed to that.

Provided we don’t end up in the situation America has.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dias posted:

I dunno what Pat said specifically but it's just that this discourse veers close to QCS concern trolling when someone says "god I wish this right-wing fucker died"' on an Enemy Forum. Dude got hyperbolic over way less important poo poo in the past too, let's be honest, hehe.

If it was I hope the Queen dies soon I’d be way less annoyed because like, sure whatever.

The analogy is more like I want this right wing fucker to die in this specific way and also his brothers sisters sons daughters cats dog fish and maybe their hamsters too, in this specific scenario that makes me super happy to imagine.

Which Pat directly said.

Thankfully Woolie’s half of the conversation was a much more funny scenario of the Royal family fighting over the crown Game of Thrones style.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s not tone policing to say I found it uncomfortable to hear Pat’s weird fantasy of death by drowning for the entire royal family (which includes children last I checked).

He literally admitted it was Ghoulish the way he was acting and I wasn’t enjoying his half of the discussion because it was weird and creepy to me. Notably Woolie’s Game of Thrones infighting thing was much funnier because it was like, an actual joke instead of whatever Pat was doing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rody One Half posted:

Woolie has never been a fan of thinking about the themes of things.

This is the guy who said that the Get Out family wasn't actually racist because the grandparents were, after all, black.

Was this like, legit Woolie quotes or him doing the usual jokes about racism thing, like the N-Pass +.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AShamefulDisplay posted:

AOS isn't getting cancelled but they have vague plans for bringing back Warhammer Classic.

The plans aren't vague at all, they're making Warhammer Fantasy The Old World. It's set 200 years before the End Times, and we know they're including both Kislev and Cathay in the initial army lists/books.

The only vague thing is the release date, other than that they've been relatively clear about the plans they've made for it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I meant vague in the sense that they haven't outlined what type of game it's going to be, unless I missed something.

I feel like it's pretty clear they're making it like the original Warhammer Fantasy Battle in gameplay style, given it's a re-creation of that system.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Brightman posted:

Old school fps games like Doom give him motion sickness and are why he didn't get into the genre until relatively recently so I think that'd go exceptionally poorly.

I feel like he's mentioned something that lead me to believe that he can't touch type or at least not in the traditional sense which is probably the larger barrier. Honestly wouldn't surprise me given how much he mixes up directions.

If you don’t get taught touch-typing at a young enough age it can be impossible to learn, much like any other form of muscle memory based speed action.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember he's very very blind. The more obvious something is the greater likelihood he will miss it. But we also can't forget Reggie who is also blind.

Six sets of eyes, zero loving vision, the tragedy of God of War.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Indecisive posted:

jesus loving christ woolie is spending soooo much time in this ff6 LP just OBSESSING over trivial mechanics (like trance) i think he has worse brain worms than pat

He has to play keyboard and mouse games with some terrifying jank keyboard mouse and controller setup because he’s afraid of pressing two keyboard buttons at once or something.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

For whatever reason I really dig Pat having a desk and sitting much closer to the camera with his hands free. Not that I had any sort of problem with his setup previously but the new setup just comes across as much more engaged and down to earth. I like it and hope it stays once they get moved in proper.

Maybe it just comes across that slightly more personable seeing two guys having a dedicated conversation up "closer" than one for using his computer/surfing the web from his couch while also on a call. Just one of those weird little social cues we're all wired in to pick up on I guess.

Pat outright has said on the podcast he massively prefers a monitor to a TV for gaming based solely on the ability to read and engage with the screen space after doing it to start his move.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rody One Half posted:

What's this weird fgc nerd hangup woolie has about modifying characters in Multiversus?

The worry that tournaments will be filled with hyper specific modifications of characters that take long times to unlock or real money to purchase.

He wants his characters to just be the character with everything available and balanced around that availability.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Shinji2015 posted:

If there's going to be meta-defining modifiers that are locked beind a paywall or X amount of hours (like, it unlocks after a hundred hours or so), then it's a valid concern. If you can unlock them ASAP or with little effort, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Having said that, I haven't watched much Multiversus yet. I know you have to unlock characters, do you have to unlock mods, too?

Yes, via a battle pass style system. Current implication is the battle pass levels will have free rewards and paid rewards, and you can earn free rewards for well free, and then when you purchase it you get all the paid rewards you would have earned to your current level.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

theCalamity posted:

Lol wait until you see Mass Effect 2 where you are forced to work for a human supremacist organization

Shame on BioWare for not realizing that we just want to hang out with our alien buddies

Everything about the resurrection of Shepard in two makes so much more sense when you learn that the original plan was for the Geth to do it.

The reactions people have to it (like the council being reluctant was meant to be that you’re working with the Geth, instead of just a Human Supremacist organisation you can refute at every possible moment).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

theCalamity posted:

I had no idea it was originally going to be the geth and it makes a lot more sense

Especially with Legion having a piece of your armor grafted onto them

The Cerberus stuff was the dumbest. Every atrocity they committed is written off as "it was a rogue scientist" which calls into question why they keep hiring rogue scientists

Even better Legion has recorded voice lines for stuff he literally cannot participate in because he was meant to be your first squad member. Like the Councillors calling harbinger a Geth ship.

Liara was also meant to be more directly involved in Project Lazarus (which she is anyway, she retrieved Shepard’s body).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Perfect Potato posted:

Now imagine how long it would have taken if he had stuck it out and listened to whatever idiot friend or simp mod suggested that custom class to him instead of listening to feedback, it'd be the early DMCV menus/training room videos all over again

Oh so he moved away from the custom class?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

I can absolutely see Woolie woolie-logicing himself into getting a bunch of people killed in the suicide mission

That's honestly my hope.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rody One Half posted:

The reason why the donated/edited saves are fine is because it's an LP and the viewers ultimately mostly want Woolie to see as much as possible, it's not like he's going to do multiple runs. Like, all importing Red would have meant is lost content in the end, it'd be dumb.

Also they did import pretty much all of Red's choices, explicitly so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SgtSteel91 posted:

At this point he might send Grunt into the vents when it comes time for the Suicide Mission, that's some big brain logic right there :stare:

He's sending Thane. He's absolutely sending Thane.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

It's gonna be:

Crew/Kelly gets melted
Zaeed as Squad Leader
Thane into the vents
Grunt sent back to protect what's left of the crew, the reason being he's powerful and can protect them
Miranda doing the biotic bubble

I can't predict who will be with him on the final attack but Mordin will most likely die during the hold the line part.

I think Crew melted and Thane into vents and Zaeed is all possible, but I reckon he'll get the biotic bubble right somehow.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

Is there a clip of this or...?

It'll be part of the Ultrakill playthrough somewhere.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Even in universe the Genophage wasn't meant to be used. The Salarians designed it as a threat to convince the Krogan to participate in peace talks. The Turians are the ones who decided to use it immediately instead of merely having it as a detterent. Furthermore, the actual numbers the Salarians calculated are wrong, because they completely fail to account for the cultural effects it created (probably because the Salarians didn't intend for it to be used in the first place).

The design is meant to make it so that the Krogan have a 1 to 1 birth/death ratio. Which doesn't work if no Krogans want to have children. That's why they're dying out, the "sustainable" birthrate enforced by the Genophage isn't sustainable at all.

For the record, the decision to use the Genophage is the exact same logic that leads to the Turians attacking Humanity in the First Contact War.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only good options in 5 is the Royal exclusive S. links.

Don't date your Therapist (but also yes, Akechi is the best option).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Indecisive posted:

Look, woolie is one of the most "for the good of the stream" lp'ers I know, if he can't tough it out it's gotta be bad. Go watch someone else's stream if you just GOT to get that sick lore, if you can find one that isn't also skipping it. If you just want to watch him react to how bad it is, tough poo poo

I must admit, the idea that Woolie is "for the good of the stream" is fascinating, because my experience is that he's stubborn enough to do everything he can backwards regardless of what the stream is asking for.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah lets be clear, the reason the Batarian Hegemony is not part of the Council Races is because they refuse to abandon the practice of slavery as they consider it a "cultural touchstone".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kay Kessler posted:

God, seeing Pat's bafflement followed by rage at Bayo 3's ending is great. It's rare to see him this genuinely mad. He's even still fuming about it during the re8 dlc. Him comparing it to Star Wars on the podcast sent Woolie into panic mode.

The rage is hella interesting because it's clear he's not actually interested in any explanation, and that's super fair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tae posted:

Do you mean Pat not explaining the ending? Because Woolie can't play bayo 3 yet.

No, Pat refusing to listen to explanations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tae posted:

Isn't the explanation that he would have to read codecs

He was also ignoring and/or being one guyed on that because people were giving some of the answers to his questions. Including stuff shown on screen that he was ignoring because it wasn't a direct explanation but something you have to infer an answer for.

By no means is the ending good, the story all over has problems which come to a head in the ending. But it's not nearly as bad as people think.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

Yeah. It's even worse.

Bayo 3's story is a mess from top to bottom.

It's written terribly but the actual end result is like, fine. Bayo 3 Bayo and Luka went to hell and now work for Madama Butterfly as enforcers. Every other dead Bayo and Jeanne was reborn alongside their universes because Singularity's multiversal fate control got broken (they don't die in that fight they're just removed from the fight as Singularity is forced to undo the universal collapse to escape them it specifically uses the glitching that shows when realities are overlapping). Viola stays in Bayo 3's universe instead of her own because she's from the Alphaverse which is the only universe to not be restored (because it is where Singularity is from, also Dark Adam and Dark Eve so I guess that's one other actual dead dead Bayo). Bayo 1 Bayo and Bayo 2 Bayo return to their own universes via Ginnungagap including having the particle effects using it causes.

It's presented loving awfully, but the actual "ideas/beats" are relatively fine. It just needed an actual writer/editor to make it flow properly and explain itself better.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kazzah posted:

You've changed my mind, that's actually a very straightforward and comprrehensible narrative. The presentation must have been godawful if Pat had trouble understanding all that. I can't believe he didn't pay attention to chat's explanations

I did not say straightforward or comprehensible, I also said it's fair that he wasn't interested in the explanation (both read the codex, and what the chat was trying to say or point out) because the ending is bad and he'd clearly checked out part way through the final boss. It's just not "that bad" is all, although only if you care to investigate the ending and there's no reason to do that because the initial presentation is indeed, the worst part.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

to my understanding you’re primed to dislike the ending anyway because Bayonetta 3 is just one long series of Bayonetta failing to accomplish anything and getting her rear end kicked, which is tedious at the best of times and completely antithetical to the character

The Bayo you play as is constantly kicking rear end, but yes this is part of the issue. It's every other Bayo that gets killed by an attack from behind, and the ending barely resolves that by vaguely hinting (but not confirming, and honestly it's a huge stretch) it may have in fact been part of the plan to get them all in one place to gently caress up Singularity. Who is absorbing them for his plan.

The game's writing is like, easily the worst in the series. It's just not nearly as bad at the end as people are doomposting about is all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Brightman posted:

I think he streamed some matches wired to create a baseline for comparison and then went inside to do the wifi fighting nonsense.

Woolie's verdict was "Perfect, with two tiny hiccups caught by rollback netcode anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As I understand it 2 in particular is where a lot of the sentiment comes from, since Bayonetta fights hell itself to get Jeanne back due to emotions of love.

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never played a Bayonetta game and yet I always just assumed that she was a gay icon. Seemed like it just came as a package deal with everything about her design and personality.

She's pretty explicitly a dominatrix in terms of design and personality. It's just her closest on screen relationship is with Jeanne her vergil figure who is also well, a dominatrix (theoretically).

UP AND ADAM posted:

It probably stems from her extensive interactions and back and forth dialogue with Jeanne as opposed to when she's teasing Luka it's less directed at him specifically but also teasing and titillating the player

This, basically.

It does not help that the entire thing is written like poo poo, and the pairing is unpopular. If the game had writing quality of say, Wonderful 101, it might not have gone down nearly as badly with fans (although nothing was gonna save the BayuLuka relationship from fan discontent no matter how it was written). The story kind of shits on everyone all over the place it's an absolute mess even if individual moments or ideas could theoretically be cool in a better written game.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 22, 2022