Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My favorite prefilled character name in module B1 was "Glom the Mighty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

My party let the bandit leader escape in chapter 2 of Phandelver. It was a pretty hilarious run of he got warned, they chased him, hit him with sleep and tied him up then ran somewhere else to mix it up with bugbears and he got away. As far as I can tell the book does not account for this despite talking about his escape plans, so I have to find a good place to bring him back.
Glasstaff?

He lived through a game of lost mines my DM ran, so he appeared in a campaign that's a a hodge podge of half a dozen other modals... we just found his armless corpse frozen to the wall of a White Dragons lair.

We got an old Italian grandmother in the party from Phandelver who was around when he was run out of town; she remarked that he was "a good ride".

Apparently he went off and started a family, but was still ambitious enough to push his luck with the dragon and got killed. His daughters is a real piece of poo poo and more or less shanghaied our party into getting revenge and also murdering a young black dragon completely unrelated to the white one that popsickled her dad.

EDIT: I'd honestly expect that he would run The Black Spider, so you could include him in that confrontation - if you feel the fight is too hard to have him slinging spells, just have the party find his body and throw in a flew lines from the Black Spider about not tolerating failure.

Otherwise, if this group is going to continue, have them wander into a pub after a dozen or so sessions and have one of the patrons freaks out upon seeing them and dive through the nearest window.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 24, 2024

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Make Glasstaff the main villain instead of Nezznar. He already escaped from the party, so there's shared history. And now there's motivation for him as a villain. Just retcon or change the story to lean into this aspect.

Nezz sucks as a villain in general.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Elendil004 posted:

My party let the bandit leader escape in chapter 2 of Phandelver. It was a pretty hilarious run of he got warned, they chased him, hit him with sleep and tied him up then ran somewhere else to mix it up with bugbears and he got away. As far as I can tell the book does not account for this despite talking about his escape plans, so I have to find a good place to bring him back.

I'm a player in that module in a currently ongoing campaign. We party captured him right as he was going for his secret "bug-out bag" stashed in the cistern. If we hadn't captured him then, I was operating on the assumption, based on the communication found in the lair, that he was going to meet Blackspider or whoever at Kragmoch castle. Maybe put him there.

Speaking of that module, in our recent session, I personally blew our chance to outright kill Venomfang. He was trying to get away was at low health, and I knew I had just one turn left to attack before he was out of range. I took my shortbow shot standard, instead of with Sharpshooter. I should have done Sharpshooter since it was already an "all or nothing" attack. He got away with only 5 HP left. (The DM said in that whole fight, he rolled above a 5 to hit only once.)

By the way, how long is Sleep worth hanging on to as a Warlock? I took it because it was one of the better fits to take as only a level 3 character and because of the Warlock's automatically-scaling spell slots. Right now it's 7d8 (and will go up to 9d8 at 3rd level), but 3rd level spells is where things start to get interesting. 7d8 is an average damage of 32 damage - 41 at next level, but we're already facing some enemies with 20-30 HP, so I'm not sure how long it'll be effective.

At level 5 I'll probably also swap out Comprehend Languages for Tongues, trading away the ability to read a language I don't understand (if I'm touching the text) for the ability to actually speak in another language, not just understand it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 24, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
LMAO played tonight and literally faced a TPK twice in the adventure. It was just 3 players tonight and we had no fighter / tank type person so it was just a thief a bard and wizard versus a cave bear.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need to draw a massive cave with a river running through it, a cabin and some rock pillars. Does anyone have a recommendation of mapping software I could use to make that quickly? I'd rather not use Dungeondraft because it sucks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Does it need to look good? No? https://www.dungeonscrawl.com/

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Speaking of that module, in our recent session, I personally blew our chance to outright kill Venomfang. He was trying to get away was at low health, and I knew I had just one turn left to attack before he was out of range. I took my shortbow shot standard, instead of with Sharpshooter. I should have done Sharpshooter since it was already an "all or nothing" attack. He got away with only 5 HP left. (The DM said in that whole fight, he rolled above a 5 to hit only once.)
I started tabletop stuff during the pandemic and after a year long campaign of Call of Cthulhu our Keeper was keen to take a backseat, and the last person in our group I expected to run a game stepped up with Lost Mines. When we encountered Venomfang to serve the eviction notice, our novice DM did a very poor job of telegraphing that we really shouldn't pick a fight with this thing at level 3, especially given that we only had two players that night.

But coming from CoC, I had like three times the hitpoints I was used to having and felt like a superhero so we kicked off... I think we'd done 50 odd points of damage when I realised we were in deep poo poo.

Fortunately it rolled pathetically with it's breath attack damage (and only got one of us with it, quickly revived with healing word), then failed to get it back for the rest of the fight, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with its attacks - when it started running we peppered it with longbow shots for a few rounds (it never dashed) and our DM went "gently caress it, I'm not denying them the kill" and had it circle back around for more pincushioning (though I think at the time I swore thinking we were hosed).

We should have died; honestly I attribute the kill to us not knowing any better.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 25, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NotNut posted:

I need to draw a massive cave with a river running through it, a cabin and some rock pillars. Does anyone have a recommendation of mapping software I could use to make that quickly? I'd rather not use Dungeondraft because it sucks.

This took zero seconds with Dungeon Alchemist because I started a new map and just told it I wanted it to be a cave with a river and glowing mushrooms.

Of course one would be free to adjust the terrain as needed, add dressing, monster camps, whatever. Very easy. Export to Roll20 or Foundry or whatever if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1588530/Dungeon_Alchemist/

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

It does for this unfortunately. I use dungeon scrawl for my dungeon maps but this is a map for a climactic final battle so I wanted it to be special.

Bad Munki posted:

This took zero seconds with Dungeon Alchemist because I started a new map and just told it I wanted it to be a cave with a river and glowing mushrooms.

Of course one would be free to adjust the terrain as needed, add dressing, monster camps, whatever. Very easy. Export to Roll20 or Foundry or whatever if that's your thing.

I'll try that, thanks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hey, anyone got some suggestions for tokens that would be used for visual aids for a in real life game. Seems more affordable than miniatures. Unless there's some super cheap miniatures out there.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Hey, anyone got some suggestions for tokens that would be used for visual aids for a in real life game. Seems more affordable than miniatures. Unless there's some super cheap miniatures out there.

My DM frequently uses meeples, you can get 100 of them on Amazon for like 15 bucks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lego minis can be fun.

If you have kids, raid their toys. Animals, mythical or otherwise.

The dollar bins at Walmart or your local party supply store can also be a good source of tabletop interest.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

This seems like it could be a good value for you

https://www.amazon.com/Campaign-Case-Creatures-Dungeons-Accessories/dp/0786967358?th=1

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

i used a big whiteboard and stackable disk-shaped magnets

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Hollismason posted:

Scale and print images and use binder clips to make them into standees.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Print out pictures on some cardboard and cut them out?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I saw some wooden standees on facebook that looked pretty good, but then when I went to look at the actual site my antivirus popped up and told me not to order anything, so I'm assuming they were stolen from etsy.

Meeples sound like a good idea, but are there giant meeples for large beasts etc?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
https://slyflourish.com/crafting_lazy_monster_tokens.html

If you've got a printer and a few other things, then this should help.

You can also make your own custom token sheet if you want, just go here, grab the ones you want, and put them into a printable sheet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is what I want

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bit of a stretch but if you have or know someone who has a 3D printer it's super easy to hog wild and print up piles and piles of things that are almost exactly what you want.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

drat are they blowing these out?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

This is what I want

I ended up with two due to an error and along with the terrain case they have been pretty nice. I would also print Tokens to put on them once in a while.

homeless snail posted:

I would guess so. That original price was pretty high so I am happy with that big reduction.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yusin posted:

I ended up with two due to an error and along with the terrain case they have been pretty nice. I would also print Tokens to put on them once in a while.

What's the terrain case?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Hollismason posted:

What's the terrain case?

There was a button to swap to the terrain version which is slightly more expensive

https://www.amazon.com/Campaign-Case-Terrain-Dungeons-Accessories/dp/078696734X?th=1

Yusin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 25, 2024

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Hollismason posted:

I used to use the Campaign Case: Creatures a lot. Over time, I stopped taking the time to take the stickers on and off, so they just kinda became tokens of 4 different colors. Here's what I use now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081K7GGFJ

They're fancy plastic meeples with 10 different colors. I love these, players love these, they're just really great. They feel very nice to manipulate and they stand up on their own. I use them every session, and once I figure out how to make little hats for them, I will be complete. Tragically, their heads are like 0.5mm too thick for LEGO hats :(

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

I was at an Ollie's (is this a widely known chain? They've only started popping up around here a decade or so ago. It's just closeouts and overstock) and saw these for $3.99. A couple of them followed me home.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

One Legged Ninja posted:

I was at an Ollie's (is this a widely known chain? They've only started popping up around here a decade or so ago. It's just closeouts and overstock) and saw these for $3.99. A couple of them followed me home.

How long ago? Wondering if it’s worth a trip on Wednesday

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TL posted:

My DM frequently uses meeples, you can get 100 of them on Amazon for like 15 bucks.

Specifically the Peeples are great. You get 100 in 10 different colors.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I used 25mm coin cases and a 25 mm round punch. Printed portrait icons on paper then made my own tokens. Took some time but it was cheap.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You can always throw down your collection of sex toys for oozes and aberrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Bad Munki posted:

Can you add buildings in caves?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

How long ago? Wondering if it’s worth a trip on Wednesday

Weeks ago at this point, but how can you pass up a trip to Ollie's?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Lego minis can be fun.

If you have kids, raid their toys. Animals, mythical or otherwise.

The dollar bins at Walmart or your local party supply store can also be a good source of tabletop interest.

Kids toys are a great idea. We’ve used them to great (and amusing) affect in the campaign in playing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I like Zipperondisney's use of flat bottomed glass beads, by painting a symbol and then painting it a colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBd85UJtdg

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TL posted:

Kids toys are a great idea. We’ve used them to great (and amusing) affect in the campaign in playing.

This is wonderful, and exactly what I was getting at. Depending on the whimsy level of the campaign, you can even let the available toys drive the encounter design itself, for comedy. Like that gorilla up there can either be a mean old dire gorilla stand-in, or it can literally be a gorilla in a jacket with a mic, just trying to break into the music industry through a nationally televised talent competition, and the PCs are all that stands in his way.

Depending on the age of the kids, sending them on fetch quests for ad hoc encounters is a hoot, it's like rolling the dice to see what comes back that the PCs will have to deal with, and the kids love it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TL posted:

I used to have a rulebook I picked up at a flea market for a system called Giant Monster Rampage, where every player goes out and buys the coolest looking kids toy they can find, and then rolls stats based on how they look.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

This is wonderful, and exactly what I was getting at. Depending on the whimsy level of the campaign, you can even let the available toys drive the encounter design itself, for comedy. Like that gorilla up there can either be a mean old dire gorilla stand-in, or it can literally be a gorilla in a jacket with a mic, just trying to break into the music industry through a nationally televised talent competition, and the PCs are all that stands in his way.

Depending on the age of the kids, sending them on fetch quests for ad hoc encounters is a hoot, it's like rolling the dice to see what comes back that the PCs will have to deal with, and the kids love it.

I should clarify: none of players are under the age of 35. We were playing at a friend’s house who has a four year old and a two year old and borrowed their stuff for the giant monster we were fighting and the gorilla our Druid polymorphed into.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, being of parenting age goes hand in hand with the availability of such toys. And usually these games are, like, after kiddo bedtime. But not always, and when the kids are about, it’s a fun way to let them participate in the adult activity without, like, participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Sure, being of parenting age goes hand in hand with the availability of such toys. And usually these games are, like, after kiddo bedtime. But not always, and when the kids are about, it’s a fun way to let them participate in the adult activity without, like, participating.

For sure! We actually play Saturday mornings, so the kids often pop by to see what we’re doing. The four year old declared he was the “Licky Monster”.