Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Dienes posted:

Awww, sad to see mithril, cobalt, grey, brown, etc. dragons were cut.

I vaguely remember them from the 2/3/3.5 era. Were they from Dragon magazine or one of the monster manuals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

With Dragonlance novels coming back, there hasn't been any word on new novels in any of the other settings yet has there? Even though Dragonlance is getting a setting release this year, Weiss & Hickman had to sue to be able to release their new Dragons of Whatever series?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

You can let them try it for a while then have either the underling the BBEG assigned them, or a rival crew, betray them to fight for their position themselves. Pretty sure I read a book or watched a tv show or movie with that plot beat at some point.

Bonus points if the betrayer betrays them to the local good guys like maybe a church a cleric or paladin is tied to, to get them in trouble that way and on the run from good and bad.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Grem posted:

What would be the Sending equivalent of faxxing a looped black sheet of paper?

Look to some of the poo poo people get up to sending text to speech messages to twitch streamers.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Famous mages probably have a cantrip ready to go that fires back loud fax machine noises at anyone bothering them with a sending.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Is there anywhere online people talk about their characters? I'd imagine there's more build advice than RP advice out there but I'd still be interested in reading about both and don't see posts gaining any traction in the main threads and subreddits. There's the RPG stories threads but those seem better suited for standouts on the good and bad extremes. Is that sort of thing usually contained to your group's discord?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I guess I'm not looking for specific feedback, this time anyway. I just like reading about what other people are playing and seeing what groups come together and how they do. Which can run into module spoiler territory I guess.

Alright, :justpost:ing, sorry for length.

Our DM just paused our pf2e campaign to start us on 5e. Gatewalkers had been too "on-rails" for him and he was getting bored that our characters were doing the same things every fight and getting our asses kicked every fight. Not sure swapping to 5e is how to shake either of those up, but he knows it better since he ran a few campaigns during covid, and feels more comfortable freestyling and shaking things up on the go. We're also on a D&D high with 2/3 of us playing Baldurs Gate 3.

DM's wife kicked off character creation with a changeling druid named like a fairy princess, then our guy who tanks in every game we play from pathfinder to Across the Obelisk rolled a warforged monk for a minor change of pace. The next few players were an eladrin archfey warlock, a high elf death cleric of talona who said (only slightly jokingly) that he would not be healing, and a goliath paladin. So I ended up making a satyr wizard with sleight of hand, planning on going illusionist since its something I can't play (imaginatively) in a CRPG. Once our characters were locked in, our DM had his wife shift from the changeling druid to her usual deep gnome gremlin, making her a rogue instead of her standard barbarian she's played in a few campaigns.

We played the first session and it went well. My satyr and the eladrin left the faewild due to the hags battling for territory in the witchlight adventure intro, and we found and activated the warforged in a monastery ruin. Ran into the others in town as we started Phandelver from the intro box I think. It was a bit awkward at first as we were put in the spotlight to roleplay our meetings when our pf2e campaign was 95% hack and slash.

Once the adventure kicked off the cleric immediately had to go back on his word and heal me because my wizard got crit one shot by a crossbow in one of the first attacks of the game. The only other "death" was when the goliath threw the rogue into a room with a half dozen goblins (she crit on the attack, it was pretty cool) and she had to eat a round of attacks before the rest of us got in there. We then stabilized and fought them off. The surviving leader came back with a hostage so I used silent image to cover the hostage in rock since the party was absolutely going to attack during this standoff. I cast shield to survive his enraged counterattack (DM wanted to test my concentration on the illusion) and we finished them off.

Ended the first session there and this weekend we'll be getting a 7th party member, a dwarf fighter with an arsenal of axes. With the cleric wanting to mix it up with his channel divinity once he has it, I told the warlock we should go blade pact and bladesinger for a full melee party.

So I'm going illusionist. I plan to discuss with the DM ahead of time the effects of my illusion spells so there's no surprises or arguing since its ambiguous and we'll want to keep things moving at 7 players. Warlock is going chain pact and asked for a special familiar the DM granted permission for. The paladin is going Ancients wholly for speak to animals and I'm curious how she'll do because the DM is her brother and will absolutely strictly hold her to her oaths. She hasn't taken them yet but would have unintentionally broken them twice in the first night from what I could tell. The monk wants to go path of mercy since we are low on healing. The cleric has already gotten the DM to let him do herbalism + alchemy to make healing potions (& poisons...) for us since they are so expensive and he's already adopting some Baldurs Gate 3 gameplay changes. I'm not sure what the rogues plans are but she's a happy go lucky bloodthirsty gremlin, her husband has her characters charge in whenever we waffle too long about what to do. The dwarf is a veteran player who loves roleplaying so we'll see how he fits in.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 19, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Everywhere in the underdark started importing panthers after the legend of drizzt started spreading around.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Any tips on playing an effective illusionist? Already have my eye on some psychic spells like mind spike and mind whip.

I'm interested too, the short range on minor illusion has hindered me a bit and with 7 players in my party I have to choose my moments.

I basically decided to mostly go for flavor while being a typical support/blast wizard until I get more spell variety later. Highlights so far were using silent image to flashily protect a hostage with a "dome of rock" then using shield to survive the counterattack. And later when a paladin was musing over whether it was proper to return a magical sword to the coffin of its former wielder I did a minor illusion whisper saying something like "Wield it against evil with my blessing". I just hit level 3 and picked up Phantasmal Force so I'm looking forward to trying that out.

In the new edition we'll learn a bonus spell of our school rather than the discount to scribing? I wonder if I can talk our DM into adopting that now. It was painful deciding between illusion spells for fun and the more standard toolkit and damage spells I wanted to have access to.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Chum Darkwater
Finolas of the Red Depths
Billy the Squid
Bigeye Thresher is an actual type of shark

bagrada fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 6, 2023

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Sure jumping into bottomless pits is a bad idea 99% of the time but its worth it for that 1% chance there's a new magic grimoire down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Vorpal shotgun