Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Every two fights, wave your hand and say "Y'all got a short rest"

Edit: I'm not sure if we should include common Running The Game questions/answers or not. Things like "Don't start at level 1 unless you give them extra HP" and stuff. It'd be nice to just see it, but they'll probably ask in the thread, anyway.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Xae posted:

and have one pretty easy fight.

I'd be way too nervous about sending a really weak monster, and then that monster crits and does enough damage to down a PC. A kobold critting and then rolling well (even if it's a low chance, it's going to happen to someone) would down anyone at or below 12 HP. A d8 hit point class will have, unless there's some trickery involved that I'm unaware of, a maximum of 12 HP, assuming the Rogue decided to floor it on constitution. 2/3rds of level 1 classes have a maximum hit point level of 12 or below. Kobold is a CR 1/8th, and there's at least one 1/8th creature that rolls d8+1 for damage. There are a few CR 0 creatures that can one-shot dudes on a crit.

I mean, you could throw actual rats at them.

Edit: "Ok, guys, for this first session, monsters don't crit, they only hit on a 20" would be... a way to handle that.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Give that ability to anyone who wants to "tank".

I must have completely missed Challenge.

If you Challenge a creature, do you necessarily have to engage it? How far away can you be? If you can Challenge one dude, and run over to block another dude, that'd be handy.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
One of the effects of exhaustion is going to be disadvantage on saves, isn't it.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

CJ posted:

Give fighters an ability called Rallying Cry. I don't know what it would do but it should be called that.

I'm not saying you should call yourself a hero, just be prepared when others start doing it

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

AlphaDog posted:

Mechanically: The Veteran is hard to surprise, doesn't get lost, turns out to have prepared for exactly this, hardly ever gets tired, nearly always knows a local, and knows a pertinent detail or two about nearly everything.

I would love this, especially the "always prepared" bit. Have X uses of "I have the thing I need"/day. gently caress you, shark repellant. X/day, I've seen this before. Gets to declare poo poo: "Oh, this guy? Yeah, kick sand in its eyes, they can't do poo poo after that." "Oh, these guys? If you want to trade, don't wear jewelry, it's gaudy to them." "Ha! The king? He's afraid of birds. Find a giant fuckoff monster bird, kill it, bring the head, the king will think you're amazing and do anything for you."

I would play the hell out of that class.

edit: I'm aware there are games that do this already, it'd be nice to see it here as well is all I'm saying.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 28, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
If you keep it at all, "stuns for 1 turn" is still incredibly powerful. I'd maybe go "stunned for 1 turn, or take damage to do a thing as you fight through the haze".

But yeah, group stuns on pcs is wacky, unless each class had multiple ways to handle this situation. Or at least most. Some?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Kaysette posted:

I used a ulitharid big bad once and part of the prep for that fight was getting several headbands of mind blank from some githzerai monks prior to the combat. It let part of the party flank the monster and get the drop while being immune to the blast. I also gave the ulitharid some psion/mystic attacks and lair actions (and legendary resistance) so it had more to do.

I like this. "Let's gear up for this big deal fight. I've seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I know how this works."

koreban posted:

Furthermore

Holy goodness this sounds like a bunch of things, though.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

koreban posted:

Is it though? Without the expository and reasoning:

• Narrow the blast and intervening characters give cover to those behind them.
• Resisting/shaking effect inoculates against future mind blast attacks.
• Barbarian Rage negates the stun.
• Flayers flee at low HP and/or death of one of their number. Set a trap and attempt to negotiate out of further combat. Well-developed sense of self-preservation.

To handle a single attack? Yeah.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Anything that starts with "Awakened dire" eventually ends with "is really cool", let's go

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Razorwired posted:

Then you add some diminishing returns to Corruption powers so that they become less and less worth it.

Dangle something crazy juuuust over the hill, though.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

nelson posted:

A lesser but still problematic situation is fear of using their powers too early and because of this rarely getting a chance to have fun with them.

This is a pretty big problem in almost every game I'm in. It throws everything off.

Ever play a video game, and you're saving all your full heals for REALLY SERIOUS MOMENTS? The game changes completely if you relax on that, it's an entirely different game.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Kung Food posted:

Have you ever played Darkest Dungeon?

It helps that there's not a long process to replace dead/insane dudes.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Needing to touch the phylactery for beneficial spells is interesting, but it probably should have some kind of range limit. Just hide the spellcaster in a barn while this guy runs around

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

GoGoGadget posted:

Except when your DM has every creature in a dungeon come at you all at once any time someone uses a thunder ability...

If it's going to happen for certain, and the DM is really that predictable, this would be a good time to invest in traps.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

CeallaSo posted:

but every now and then he would chuck a javelin for a clutch kill on an enemy he couldn't reach on his turn.

This rules. Even if the paladin misses, you're making a statement if you are willing to break a weapon and preemptively use a smite for the chance of hitting a person.

If that attack ever misses, totally bring that monster person back. Nemesis system this.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've gotten to be the guy killed to show that "ok, this is dangerous and people are going to die."

We went over it beforehand, and we got to carefully plan out how to ruin my dude's day, it was great

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

DalaranJ posted:

Is this explained? Are the memories written into your bones

A necromancer asking the dead questions and receiving answers by an invisible force carving words into a dead guy's bones is pretty rad

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Our next DM wants to create a homebrew legendary hydra-like monster with several heads. We each have to name a head and its special ability, and I'm going with "Big Krangle" and "Casts stinking cloud every time it eats a minion".

An enemy that eats its own people is great, get everyone else on board. Have a big fight where you have to focus down minions before it eats them all and unleashes hell

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I needed a slightly more interesting gimmick for my campaign's final boss, and this is perfect. Thank you :)

I'm very cool

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

P.d0t posted:

Am I in the minority in thinking that "short rest"-structured classes sort of... don't rate? I've tried playing both a Warlock and an Arcane Archer, as well as having played (for the better part of a year) with a Warlock in one of my parties, and I find the "2-per-rest" limits in particular to be suffocating.

One big issue is that short rests take 1 hour. If short rests are actually short (like 5 minutes), or if they're milestone (2 fights = automatic short rest), they function better.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

lightrook posted:

You can either use a two-handed weapon so you'll always have a free hand

I mean, I get how it works, but I'd really like to see someone reading that sentence who doesn't already know about D&D

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Have the threat be ambush them and take their stuff, unless you can explain why the spellcasters can locate water but none of them can create it

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Danger Diabolik posted:

Am I right in reading that bladelocks can Eldritch Smite with a gun?

I lost the conversation, so I have no idea what you're talking about or looking at, but the answer is hell yes.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Higher levels are poorly balanced, because of less focus by developers, because there are fewer games played in those levels, because there's a lack of interest in those levels, because higher levels are poorly balanced.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
How literal is

a) An angel swoops down and catches you
b) A note is left in your pocket saying it was a dumb plan
?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
The reason "technically" is being thrown around is because a lot of these technically true things are what balance the game, without the writers having to deal with the real balance consequences.

For example, technically, fighters are balanced, because the general guidelines are to have 8-10 encounters per adventuring day, with an hour long rest every other encounter. For something like that, fighters very well may be balanced. But any of the dms that want VERISIMILITUDE aren't going to allow multiple hour long breaks in a populated dungeon, and everyone else would find it challenging to create continuous scenarios that have 8-10 encounters per day. But, technically, the fighter is considered balanced, unless you ignore those guidelines, which is houseruling.

Technically, feats and multiclassing are optional. But a large part of this game was designed with 3.5/pathfinder in mind. Which led nearly everyone to roll with multiclassing.

In an "exception proves the rule," how many online games would advertise "we allow multiclassing"? I haven't seen any, though I may be missing them. But, I've definitely seen games specifically calling out "multiclassing is banned" because multiclassing is assumed. I'd be really surprised if they didn't know that multiclassing would be the standard.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

FFT posted:

why not just pin some mosquitoes?

Actually do this, it's like method acting, the discomfort will be rea....

Oh man so many games make sense to me now

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

mastershakeman posted:

There's simply no need for multiclassing when so many classes have their own variants. If it was just the 4 main classes, sure, but someone who wants to be a fighter mage can just be an Eldritch knight

That's a really good kind of system for replacing multi-classing, too. Come up with like 5 things, bam, now you have a sneaky fighter or an archer monk or whatever.

For the record, rogue/warlock is an incredibly cool idea, I've always wanted to play one, but for some reason no one ever sets something up for it.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like Gharbad means less an actual multiclass and more something that captures the fun things about each class. Like not "I have rogue and warlock mechanics" but more "I want to be a magical sneaky person who does some demonic dirt"

And if that's not what they mean, then that's what *I* want instead.

I sometimes want rogue and warlock mechanics (I liked the 3.5 warlock, an arcane trickster for warlocks would have been fun), but I also like a magical sneaky person who steals the magic instead of reads from some dumb book or asks his magic dragon grandpa for some spell points

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Besesoth posted:

Speaking of rogues, I have a tiefling arcane trickster who's just hit level 4, and Hexblade is calling to me. Someone talk me out of taking a level in warlock.

Take two levels of warlock

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I was joking, but as long as you're happy I'm willing to run with it

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Does it say anywhere in 5e that druids can't use metal armor? If a new group started with 0 experience, is this a thing they'd see?

Edit: also throwing my hat in the "only cool and dramatic deaths" ring. Screw getting crit by a slug

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Weird Druid question.
If a Druid has an item equipped that is cursed, like a pair of boots, and the curse states that they cannot be removed by normal means without a dispel magic or remove curse, could the Druid wild shape into a squirrel while choosing to drop all of their equipment to get out of the boots? The answer is probably “it’s up to the DM” but I’m curious what y’all think.

I would love to play a squirrel nicknamed Boots, how do I get in on this

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

Tom Riker it.

inthesto posted:

I do not know what this means

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Riker

Accident produces clone with diverging personality beyond the cloning point.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

Also throw in a slavering abomination

you should have several at the table ahahahaha

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

If your GM allows guns you can play the guy from equilibrium.

Clerics are overpowered HEY WAIT A MINUTE

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
We can report stuff earlier next time.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
On a roll of (low chance) in combat initiation, act as if you surprised your opponents.

Think of a fancy name for the book that's better than "What up fuckers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Malpais Legate posted:

My latest campaign I got my players to design the cultures their characters came from.

I played a game where the world composed of highly militaristic birdmen, sentient plant international merchant diplomat assassins, dragons that were literally landmasses, skeletons who just decided not to die, and imps who were magically embodied concepts.

Let your players make up poo poo, it's a ride.