Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Got back into d&d after a decade hiatus and running through lost mines with a mixed group of newbie to experienced. So far if there's any complaints it's that the combat isn't challenging enough, but it's been fun all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If a player chooses to roll up a character who fucks up the game they chose to make a character who fucks up the game.

E: I mean poo poo goes wrong sometimes, but saying 'well my character is a thieving rear end in a top hat so it's totally fine for my character to blow up the party' is a cop out.

That said if they've been playing for a long time without issue it sounds like one or more players were having a bad night.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 20, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

fishing with the fam posted:

The warlock got frustrated and reiterated her character is not trustworthy, and if people don't like that kind of character she will reroll one that is always trustworthy.

:thunk:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have the imp run off with the loot and never return. The warlocks personality bled through to their familiar and the patron let it happen to teach them a lesson about what happens to non-team players because they're about to double cross the party as part of the next arc. This is what happens when you make pacts with untrustworthy extra-planar horrors.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The party is full of murderhobos so the 'evil' mirror anti-party is universally loved and adored as legit heros.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saxophone posted:

One of my session 0 rules is: You can do what you want with your character, but it is ultimately your job to always figure out/justify/rationalize their continued cooperation with the party as a whole.

I also just tell them that we’re not PvPing. Ever. It brings nothing but grief ultimately.

This is pretty much it. If you want to roleplay pvp drama join a wrestling league.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
She's a little overdressed for casual violence.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

trapstar posted:

I think I might change out scorching ray out for Invisibility.

Keep scorching ray, rename her Celira Shartflame and build around that.

'sorcerer themed boss' is a little vague. What's her deal? Why is she a girlboss? What's her lair like? Who does her hair? Where's the fight going to happen? Does that dress come in size 10? Is she hiding or planning an attack? What's her motivation/background/number? Does she have minions? Is she seeing anyone? Why did she do to the party or what did the party do to her? Is there a theme to her magic beyond summon undead?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 21, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Vision of himself telling himself off for being a chump, what would our God think of us etc etc. We are our gods representative in this blighted land, and need to uphold gods principals while we're cut off. If we don't get back on the path of righteous we'll be in trouble when we get back. Yadda yadda

Basically the tiny bit of his god that he feels within his heart/ inner voice speaking out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you want to piss everyone off:
'as you walk down the strange hallway you feel there is something wrong, take six points of damage damage'
'what kind of damage?'
'Damage damage, take another twelve damage damage'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Raenir Salazar posted:

What True Names are to Names Damage Damage is to Damage.

Another twenty four points of damage damage

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The player can't use ooc knowledge to justify a character's action. It's roleplaying, they have to play their character.

A player can't accidentally seeing the DMs notes about the location of an invisible goblin and say 'Rufus shoots an arrow five squares in front of him'. Likewise a player can't say 'i step into the magma because I know it's an illusion even if my character doesn't'.

Now if they've established their character is suicidal or regularly makes decisions that lead to certain death. Then yeah sure go for it. But it's certain death.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If it doesn't light up when the player looks at it, it's not an interactable object.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe all campaigns need to start with a tpk, set the tone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Session zero involves a cavalcade of pregenerated L1 characters into the incubator pit for the BBEG boss battle three years from now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've got an idea for a campaign that starts with the kingdom being subjugated by a dragon as a background that slowly becomes the main plot.

Only the dragon sees the kingdom as it's lair and treasure, including the people. So as long as the kingdom continues to prosper it doesn't mind that the people are walking around with all that gold. It's a dragon and doesn't really care about the details of it all as long as the amount of gold and people in the kingdom goes up, and that the people are healthy and wearing nice things because that means they're more valuable. Then it learns about trade and forbids any movement of gold or currency across border and I'm not sure where it goes from there. Some sort of lesson about capitalism or something?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If players are using a magic item above their level, have something bad happen if they roll a 1, as they lack the skill or power to handle it properly. Let them know ahead of time so it's not a surprise. Then give them a vorpeal blade.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Elendil004 posted:

Man folks weren't kidding when they said Cragmaw Cave is a TPK factory. I got drat close and they still have 2 rooms to go.

Fingers crossed, you got this buddy!

Deteriorata posted:

We shine it on the wall behind the DM.

Don't the minis fall off?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Clever

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Other solution: Cast enchantment magic on whole party 'the dragon doesn't exist'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
As you enter the room, the door slams shut behind you. Moments later an infinitely complex array of moving multicoloured gems and gossamer strands of connecting silver fragile appear in the room. Clearly this is the work of a deviously formidable intelect.

You cannot escape until you solve the impossibly difficult puzzle with a DC 38 investigation or arcana check, or break it with a DC 2 strength check

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Press the button

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hello Trap Support? Yeah my puzzle lock is hosed and I can't get into my lair can you fix it please? Yes I used detect magic. Yes I used telekinesis to shift the... Look it's broken okay send someone out!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That could be an amazing plot.

Recruited by a human oddity collector to break into a lair. They suspect the collector isn't what he seems as they encounter red herring after red herring. A paladin hunting undead is involved, along with an evil wizard seeking a long lost nemisis.

Eventually it turns out it was all orchestrated by a Lich who was too embarrassed to admit they forgot their keys and couldn't get into their house.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
One of the players is a bard doesn't seem to get how the rules work. Hey gets way too excited and just announces his actions and the results without stopping to ask the DM if it's even possible.

Bard: I cast minor illusion to make a big peace sign above the goblin...
DM: Oka...
Bard: and use persuasion to make him surrender *rolls 19* okay success
DM: Wai..
Bard: he gives up and stops fighting us now!'
DM: hold up, goblin is dead, it died last round, the corpse floats just floats there
Bard: So I just wasted my round? Fine it's someone else's turn now whatever *gets sulky*

He's fairly new to 5e and hasn't read the rules but also doesn't want to ask how things work. :shrug:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zurreco posted:

The simplest response is "the DM calls for rolls, not the players." We used to have a house rule that any time a player rolled before getting confirmation incurred a +5 to the DC.

This is pretty good

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Democratic Pirate posted:

I finally got to use the ‘Misty step + smite’ combo I’d been saving to surprise a mini boss who was in a room taunting the party behind a doorway filled with henchmen.

He blocked it with a Shield reaction :mad:

:owned:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you're destined for the front line maybe absorb elements, shield or mage armour? You can flavour them to be invisible and just lucky, dodging better than expected, being tougher then you look etc.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

None of those are on the (Archfey) Warlock spell list.

Doh. Would your DM let you take armor of ag and reflavor it for force damage? That's not too powerful if you're already limiting your spell selection.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

neonchameleon posted:

Depends on the illusion. One of the most effective ambush preparation illusions to cast is that of a closed door when the door you are hiding behind is wide open. It obscures everyone behind it, your guys have time to see their way through (after all they can see the actual door and be told it's an illusion even if you've taken a door off its hinges) and there's no reason to think that when you see a closed door where you expect there to be a closed door there's anything wrong ... until the people and arrows fly out of it.

This is probably why the minor illusion can trip is a 5' cube. Any bigger and it'd be too useful. Almost as useful as control water.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Staltran posted:

Assuming this is sarcasm, control water is crazy good underwater.

Control water is way too good for a cantrip anywhere you can spit or piss.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

scary ghost dog posted:

all my walls are hollow and full of spiders

If the players don't find a game breaking exploit for this they're not trying hard enough.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

scary ghost dog posted:

its just buffed giant spider enemies, they get stronger every time. some day i’ll think of a plot reason

Cast shatter on the wall behind enemies... and it scales with level? Fantastic feature, definitely not a bug.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Inquisitive rogue kinda seems designed to foil DM plans and plots without the player's input.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Not exactly insightful really

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sack of Endless Blood would be an interesting treasure to hand out, if only to see what horrors your players come up with.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
*campaign long argument over mayonnaise vs butter for grilled cheese sandwiches, culminating in the paladin breaking his oath and joining the bbeg*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
To protect your valuable mayonnaise?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I take: One soul
You get: All of the Mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
There is an anguished scream as the buffet table collapses under your rogues weight, spilling three days of prep work. The Souscheforer's aura darkens as he summons forth three mayonnaise elementals from the Culinary Plane of Fridge.

Roll for initiative.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 14, 2024