Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Me and the crew were in a dungeon with a library puzzle and the game came to a twenty minute delay as we tried to figure out if you could whisper a verbal component spell.
I'm on the side that you can say it as loud as you want but people will still notice, like when you're at a party and all the noise cuts out at once in time for you to overhear something embarrassing. Doesn't matter the volume, you commanded attention. Same with wizard business. But the rules are vague and a 5e dev being wishy washy on Twitter is a bad solution to the "natural language" problem, you know what I mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

nelson posted:

This doesn’t bother me so much because you can make the ruling however you want that fits the campaign. Of course the real answer is make a Stealth(Int) check.

But there's a tag called "subtle" on certain spells specifically that says you can sneak it!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah I don't think denying them powers is the right move, but absolutely loving with them is.

Universal role-playing game advice!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Yusin posted:

I gotten into another generous mood. I got two Beyond Copies of Keys to the Golden Vault. First two people to answer one of two trivia questions gets them.

Question 1. What was the first TSR Adventure Module.
Question 2. What was the second Adventure for 5e D&D.

Casablanca, Keep On The Shadowfell

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Arivia posted:

e: and this is why poo poo like waterdeep: dragon heist fuckin sucked because they blew holes in canon and understanding the setting without actually telling anyone they'd hosed the shared setting.

What'd they do

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Yusin posted:

Art of the Hive Ward and an article about the upcoming stuff including Planescape.

https://www.polygon.com/23736642/dnd-dungeons-dragons-phandelver-planescape-deck-of-many-things-release-date-price

if they pull this off, it'll be a really good toolset for the game. that goes a really long way especially for a less uh tenured audience. it's been a while since anything 5e was a good idea so i'm looking forward to seeing how it undermines its own ideas

edit: i don't know anything about planescape and based on the idea that "it's the big city in the middle of realities" i think the art is fine. there's a knife wife or something in sigil? also isn't sigil the name of the big city in erbberon

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 29, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Business Gorillas posted:

Also, currently reading Dracula on top of the Strahd book, but any other materials people recommend for me to read to help set the tone would be great!

I'm always in the belief that less is more. Think about the monsters in a literary sense and think about how you can build encounters and situations around that. Like paranoia and bloodshed of werewolf times in a small town.
Also play Castlevainia for the nes because it's basically the same vibes.

Oh and also look at the game dread for some fun change ups it slots in nicely for the Strahd setting

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Strahd is a good setting because you get to fight draculas wolfmens and mud men

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
5e making feats an "either or" thing with ability score increases was a bad call

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Saxophone posted:

I DM for very chill players.

inshallah we all will

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
what would you call feats and why is it talents

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I know it's not unique to 5e but people insisting this game is Theater of the Mind and not minis based does not help me pay attention to the other players turn

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I feel like using a reaction and a resource to deny an action and a resource kinda sucks in the way all "no, nothing happens" effects suck in these games but I don't have a solution.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Spellslots don't work for monsters because the monsters don't exist outside of getting into fights with you and dying.
The attrition works for players because they are doing more "on screen" but similarly I think "the thing you tried to do doesn't happen" isn't very engaging especially I'm a game where you're doing one thing s turn for the most part.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Combat is easier when it's delegated between five people

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm gonna be dming some 5e soon and I'm making my players binders with character sheets and playing card sized... cards. Those cards will have magic items and cool equipment on them but I'm not sure what would be really useful to have on these reference cards off the rip. Any ideas?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't trust any advice that features grappling

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Is this a good thread to talk about magic items? I find it kind of annoying how vague the dmg is about making your own magic items. And after playing baldur's gate i've really been into the idea of consumables and items that wouldn't work as well in a video game but be okay at the table for my players.

I want to make a shield that can also be placed on a wall to make a door. This is wicked strong, except that it's sentient and "respects other doors". So if you place it on a locked room it will also be locked. It's not stealthy either: the door will be visible from both sides. You can use this a proficiency bonus amount of times a day. You also get the ability to push with the shield and if you push them into a non living surface with a room behind it you can push the creature into it. This seems wicked strong but in a fun way for everyone.

I wanted an item that encourage movement in the battlefield. So I made a silence arrow. You shoot an arrow and it makes a silence spell. The duration is how far away the target square is (or distance/5 if you hate squares). This pushes the casters out of their comfort zone. I was very surprised about how good silence was in bg3 and I thought this would be cool (maybe a little underwhelming).

sorry if you saw my post on reddit about this

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 18, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Okay?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Zurreco posted:

That being said, the arrow you are talking about is totally fine and I'm pretty sure I've seen it used by Drow in modules. Subtle Spell could still Dispel them so they aren't without counter. The shield you are proposing is absolutely bananas broken and either it would need to be rebalanced or the DM is going to start purposefully nerfing it with doors all over the place.

I'm the dm in this situation :negative:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Had a good session zero last night and very excited to run again
Also, what's the underdark equivalent of a Lion? They're gonna be fighting circus folk and I wanted a lion tamer but under dark.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Pcs are level 3

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I ended up going with a displacer beast and a reskinned nilbog drow that rides it. I think that's going to be a unique challenge. I just have to figure out where this fight is.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes I've been watching people player Fear and Hunger why do you ask?

I don't get what the coin does

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't know why I couldn't understand that from your post

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Be the change you wanna see in the world

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
It's the same arguments people have any time martial characters can do anything that isn't just rolling a d20 and doing damage. It's very frustrating to me how permissive the game and the (online, not representative of human beings at your table) is towards spell casters doing any and everything versus martial characters.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Monathin posted:

I know at a certain point the people who liked Tome of Battle reclaimed it because to some degree, yes, if I'm playing a martial in this fantasy game I expect to be able to look and behave like an anime character. But yeah it was originally a derogatory name for it because grogs can't imagine anyone doing anything superhuman with just their strength, magic has to be involved.

The lack of Tome of Battle style maneuvers for martials is really one of the bigger knocks of 5e.

steal weapon maneuvers from BG3! They're Neat and tactical

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
aw why not

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i for real thought it was another lost mines of phandelver remake but no it's an ad&d adventure by gary gygax that i'm sure people are gonna be normal about

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Oh that's what that brad neely video was about? How did tournament style dnd work??

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i'm a new dm and i'm struggling with a puzzle.

To set it up there's a tinkerer in this halfling town. they have a lab that they use to make experiments and they're being targeted for assassination by the halfling village preservation society basically Hot Fuzz, except they're mad about a lack of "traditional" dnd values (not enough elfs and dwarfs, too many tieflings and dragonborn) and this tinkerer's lab doesn't fit the aesthetic. The Tinkerer has a hidden part of their lab where they're doing their REAL work, research into mimics, changelings, and warforged. to that end they have captured a mimic specimen and have contained in a room sized flask. when the players bust in, they'll see that there are three bodies in the flask, a dead would be assassin, and two identical members of the rival adventure party they've encountered bleeding out and babbling. The flask is filling with a noxious smoke, a failsafe in case anything went wrong, and if it weren't for the rival adventurer stuck in the self sealing door then the gas buildup would smother whatever's inside the flask. There's also a TWIN of the mimicked adventurer frantically trying to save their brother.

I'm basically thinking of having it be a skill challenge.

• calm the rival adventurer down enough to that they don't accidentally seal the flask and get everyone in there dead
  • go through the tinkerer's notes to neutralize the smoke
  • figure out which one is the mimic
  • turn the lights back on (smoke)

But I feel like it's missing an existential threat. Like they only have a few rounds before the smoke smothers everyone OUTSIDE of the flask so if it breaks bad enough they may have to trolley problem it. also, the mimic is obviously the twin on the outside of the flask.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Zurreco posted:

To clarify, this is a mimic that can copy people or it's a doppelganger? And for the bodies in the room, it is one dead assassin, one wounded rival, and one shapeshifter that looks like the wounded rival?
[/quote[

mimics and doppelgangers are the same thing turns out or so closely related that a distinction isn't important. In the flask is a dead assassin, a severely wounded rival, and a shapeshifter that looks like the rival.

[quote="Zurreco" post="536338141"]
The existential threat should be twofold: the players need to know that the container/fog is in place to neutralize a serious threat but also the players need a reason to risk entering the danger zone. For the former, hint at the fact that the way the assassin died does not make sense for the surroundings. Maybe it is bifuracted with blood spatter on the back wall but there are no large/bloody weapons in sight to justify the outcome. There should also be a few mechanisms in the room (or rooms on approach) that say "press in case of specimen escape" but the devices have been deactivated.

I think that works for the for sure dead body. I was thinking of having alchemical stuff lying around that they can try. maybe like a color mixing puzzle while everything is getting intense?

Zurreco posted:

I like the idea of an item being in there, probably on the rival party member's body. I guess that requires some information about why the party is breaking in in the first place.
fascist halflings are trying to kill the tinkerer gnome (who has been losing their mind convinced that they are somehow a mimic/doppelganger/changeling but don't know it). the players have been warned. the tinkerer also may be the one person who can "fix" the broken dungeon nearby.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
hm. good point. i was gonna say it imitated too good. but that's just too silly.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I made handy index cards with their weapon actions (expanded from BG3) for my players so that they would remember to use their weapon actions.
Turns out they're great. the martial weapons getting one or two more actions as encounter powers (to use 4e language) makes using specific weapons feel like a weightier choice than variations on a d10 and they get a lot of use in combat. Less "I hit this guy and that's it".

I also had my players add one thing to the battle mat when they first come up in initiative which they used to their benefit to give themselves some cover (and I put flammable down and paper around the battlefield on the baddies turns) and in the next encounter three of them put up a marquee on a building, and thomas and martha wayne on their turns.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

PeterWeller posted:

You may want to look into the weapon actions from BG3 for ideas. Here's a decent summary of them: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Weapon_actions

Another option is to let them trade damage for an effect, so in your rogue's case, they trade the bow's damage for the restrained or prone condition for one turn. If you don't like that condition being automatic or you don't want them to trade the damage for it, allow the target an appropriate save against DC[8+ability bonus+proficiency] (like how you calculate a caster's spell save DC).

I'd draw the line at trading damage for a condition that will obviously cause way more damage (so no trading damage to automatically push an enemy into some lava). I'd also consider limiting it to 1/encounter or 1/short rest, probably the latter to stay consistent with RAW abilities.

I put weapon actions into the game I'm running and they work REALLY well for giving the weapons oriented players something to do. Now I just gotta stop my friend from using grappling. He loved playing a grapple fighter in 4e but it just isn't the same.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Adventurers are not normal people; they are protagonists. In the same way that me learning video production gave me a leg up in learning photography, me being pretty good at being a bard makes it easier for me to become roguish.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
No ones gonna be mad at you. You can just do it and post about it

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
It is easy for me to imagine working with someone evil despite me being good; I live in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Chaotic evil = lumpenproletariat, got it