Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could swear the DMG had optional rules for Marking.

This isn't it though.

It does help a bit at least.

Most of the DMG variant rules help out. I like cleaving so I can include more hordes of weaker enemies that the players can cut like wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While we're on this topic...

-exhaustion is batshit insane and will automatically kill you at 6 stacks. To my knowledge, there are no effects available to players to inflict exhaustion stacks on an enemy but there might be some monster attack buried somewhere
-intellect devourers can just arbitrarily kill you on contact if you're not a wizard/don't have a high int
-banshees get an actual AoE save or die at CR 4

There are a few monsters can can inflict exhaustion. But they tend to be high level. The only one I can recall off the top of my head is the Sibriex.

While dangerous the intellect devourer is not arbitrarily, even decently low Int characters have a good chance of surviving. But it pretty harsh for a such a low CR monster to have such a powerful attack. It would be better if the Drain only lasted like an ingame hour or so.

The Banshee is not a save or die. It's a save or drop to 0. Much more survivable. (Though still very dangerous.)

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

Like most group activities, all of this depends purely on the people there. RP, what it is about, DM skill all of this varies from area to area. The only way to find out is to go.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 22, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A Banshee's Cry being potentially fatal to hear should also be something that is common knowledge for D&D adventurers like the fact that Trolls don't like fire. Like it should be something that nearly anybody in the setting knows if they live there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

I updated my post on the first page with summaries of the non-adventure hardcovers. Hit me up if you have feedback on it.

My only real input is maybe to make a note that that Eberron Guide is going to be updated with the Artificer when the class is completed. (Also not to get hung up on Psionics they are not particularly important to Eberron.)

In cool news another setting book is coming next year. If it's Dark Sun we can expect Psionics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Isn't there also Planescape foreshadowing in Tomb of Annihilation? I remember that was what everyone was expecting before they announced Eberron and Ravnica.

There was speculation about a lot of things Eberron was one of the main guesses, Spelljammer was as well until it was deconfirmed.

It would be cool if Planescape was the next one however. But the next one could be a lot of settings, as the only thing we know is that it is one of the old settings and not a Magic one.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is the D&D 5e thread.

And it appears he is going to run it in 5e weird as it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well we are not going to get new planescape material for any other system. Given that WotC owns it. No matter the case though if we get new planescape stuff I will enjoy it as I quite love the setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Section Z posted:

"But you get expertise!" does not feel particularly impressive when it is used to shore up the fact that by default, Rogues can end up not so hot at finding traps. Or a well meaning GM saying "But the cleric took observant! That means they can find the traps FOR the rogue!"

Rouge's don't really need to be good at finding traps. If they are good at disarming them along with a bunch of other skills that is for the most part enough. And you can pretty much take one or the other for perception or investigation as they fill a similar role.
For one of my last games, the Rogue was the party face, trap disarmer, and guy who knew how to vanish and sneak anywhere. The Ranger was the one who found the traps.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

I really think this thread is off to a good start and we've had a lot of people post a lot of good links and resources and everybody's been largely chill and good to each other for a whole 24 hours and I really appreciate that.

The only way I think it could really get to be the best thread it can be, though, is that if we all took a moment every time we read a real dumb MonsterEnvy take and went "nope, I don't need to respond to this, I can just let it float away like garbage on the tide."

Namaste.

Come on this is the second time you have dunked on me with little justification in the past week. I don't think I have posted anything worth making fun of in this thread even.

Though I agree with you and like how chill the thread has been.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

I'm not sure I agree with any of this.

First off, the PHB explicitly mentions that rogues can choose to be the "find traps guy" or they can choose to focus in other areas.

Second, Rogues are almost completely focused on a single attribute (DEX) with their to-hit, damage, AC, Initiative, Stealth, and Sleight of Hand all coming from that single stat.

So, if you want to be a "trap dude" you get your option of going secondary on either of the 2 trap-finding stats (Int or Wis), getting larger bonuses to that stat than anyone else (Expertise), eventually taking 10 on those checks, and getting an extra ASI/Feat slot to use if you really, really wanted to focus on this.

All of that, does indeed let them choose to be "traps guy" in a way that basically anyone (except bards) can't really replicate.

What it all does add up to, is letting the non-rogue classes do a minimum level of trap-finding, which isn't a terrible thing, as it removes the hard class requirements from parties.

I pretty much agree with all of this. It's what my earlier post was about you just put it better.
Also are there two people using your account?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do traps even have any reason to exist as they do? I can't think of a system that feels less necessary and more harmful to the progress of the game. As implemented, you're telling your players "there's a mechanic that for the most part does not exist and will rarely exist. But if you forget that it actually *does* exist, I'm going to punish you. The only way to avoid this is to bring up the mechanic that functionally does not exist in every room when you go through a dungeon. Occasionally I'll decide if the mechanic exists and give you a *chance* not to get hurt by it."

What's the fun in that?

I like presenting big obvious hazards that create problem solving challenges, not a mechanic whose key function seems to be to slow everything to a crawl.

It feels like (and I know this is super outta character for DnD, folks) a legacy system that has no purpose to stick around other than it being a legacy system.

Does anyone do traps in a way that they feel adds to the game, other than the aforementioned great big puzzle solving hazard?

In a group where I'm a player, I'm the person with the most Investigation and I basically never contribute to trap searches because OH MY GOD WHO CARES (and also I don't have Darkvision).

I feel traps work best around puzzles. Mess it up and get punished, but someone who can detect and disable traps can make it so that failure won't have as much consequence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Volo's guide Hag section is great. Tons of alternate and extra abilities. The weird magic is also cool being effectively one shot magic ingredients and items that can do pretty much anything else you want the Hag to have.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like I wanna do a short campaign (like up to 5 sessions) about a coven of Night Hags terrorizing a village and along the way give the group the chance to seize, misinform, and strategically destroy a Hags Eye.
If you do this then I do heavily recommend reading the hags section if you do this. It brings up stuff like that the villagers will generally be opposed to the party dealing with the hags. (Cause the hags will normally have a hold over them, that only they can release.)

In pure fun facts. I only recently learned that Night Hags are directly based on the depiction of some original hag folklore. Namely hags reportedly straddled you in your sleep making you uncomfortable and granting nightmares. And you would wake up unable to breathe and paralyzed for a short bit. The state is called sleep paralysis now, but used to be known and is still sometimes referred to as being hagridden

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you try to disarm it and you fail, you don't set it off, but it also means the trap is still there, and you have no choice but to either "tank" the effect or not go down that way.

I think this is largely how it already works. Failing does not set the trap off, failing badly sets the trap off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

So, I looked up Mechanus and it's what I remembered from 2E as Nirvana, most famous as the home of the Modrons.

That's a bit weird as it was called Mechanus in 2e. Nirvana was it's 1e name and it's current full name is The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus

To answer you question. The Monster Manual entry on Modrons should help as should the great Modron March adventure. Planes of Law from 2e would probably have the most on Mechanus.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 30, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

it didn't change until Planescape.

It's still Nirvana in the 2e DMG (and nine hells, seven heavens, twin paradises, etc).

Ahh thanks I thought the changes happened earlier in 2e then they did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Luck Needed posted:

what are some good monsters for 4 players level 17? wanted to try some higher end stuff with some room to grow in level to 20. Like what are some fun to encounters, good mechanics or flavor, any written adventure suggestions and the like

Demons and Devils tend to work well around that range. Because you can now use decently large numbers of the stronger ones. Mords Tome of Foes also has more higher level monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malpais Legate posted:

So after using Mind Flayers in my game, I need to ask: were those creatures designed to be fought at all? Especially in a game where only like, 1.5 classes don't use Intelligence as a dump stat.

As written, they can basically stun and maim the party with little to no resistance. It really frustrated a few of my players and I had to redo some poo poo on the fly, otherwise they'd just have been better off not showing up to the fight. And it still turned out that way for the cleric and warlock.

0/10 never using mind flayers again.

Guess the party should not have use Int as a dump stat. Seriously Mind Flayers are supposed to be dangerous, the brain blast thing has always been very debilitating and dangerous, avoiding being caught in that cone is crucial. That you had to save your party shows you and your party underestimated them. Best stick to goblins and orcs I suppose.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 2, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

The "mind blast" stun is boring and lovely. Anything that takes players out of a fight for up to ten rounds sucks. Mind flayers are great as scheming baddies but they are lame to fight. Either they get that big cone off or they go down like a sack of potatoes to swords and arrows.

The idea that the party should have chosen their dump stats differently or that you did something wrong here is laughable.

I don't agree. But I am also of the type who is not anti control effect like everyone else seems to be, so I can get why you guys won't agree with me. The dump stat part was a joke.

They did do something wrong here. They apparently did not look at the monsters statblock to see what they could do before using them. Then were surprised when the dangerous monster turned out to be dangerous.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mind flayers a mechanically lovely because they're incentivized not to go after the big brainy delicious wizards but instead their jock friends, when it should be the opposite.

The brain blast is to assist in the enslavement of the weak willed. The splitting their head open and eating the brain part is for the wizard who can't be brainwashed as easily (plus they taste better). This has always been the case.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 2, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Infinite Karma posted:

I'd say they're mechanically lovely because they are thematically the mastermind behind dangerous things, and have dangerous minions, but are physically not dangerous. In a fair fight, they should be quickly and brutally murdered, so they make sure that they never get in a fair fight. Actually cornering one with a sword should be the challenge, not the attack rolls and saving throws. And likewise, because they aren't just marauding monsters, PCs shouldn't ever run into them unprepared. But then they have a uniquely swingy ability that makes them also win fair fights sometimes.

Thats not mechanically lovely. You seem to have mistaken a mind flayer for a regular human mastermind.

Mind Flayers also do maraud cause they are slavers. One of the most basic mind flayer encounters is that they attack groups wondering the underdark so they can take them home as slaves. The whole mind blasting thing is part of why all the underdark races are so scared of them. If they were just basic masterminds, then other races would not fear them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 2, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

I'm planning on having my Mind Flayer attack constitution to start with to try and get some of the burly fighters out of it, then go for dominating others before fleeing the field.

When/if my players happen on one I was wondering if I could give lair actions to make them more terrifying, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Alongside that, maybe have psychic blast cost HP for the Mind Flayer to use?
Elder Brains have LA's you could look at theirs and see if any are applicable. The Mind Blast does not need to cost anything, it's on a recharge, so they will likely only be able to use it once.

mkultra419 posted:

I'm about to start running Waterdeep: Dragon Heist for my group that just finished up Curse of Strahd. I'm having trouble deciding what Season to run, anyone who ran it / is running it have any suggestions?

I let my players vote. I told them the chapter season names (Spring Madness, Hell of a Summer, Maestro's Fall, Winter Wizardry) and let them pick which one.

Josef bugman posted:

I AM running it, but unfortunately I have only just gotten past the first dungeon crawl. One thing I will say though is make the Kenku fight a bit easier! One of my players almost lost their character due to a lucky backstab by one of the tiny sods. Also, I found Raener a great NPC to have help out, but if people don't want him in the fight maybe have the last boss be just the half orc mage apprentice and not ALSO the intellect devourer. Those things are cruel.

The Kenku were very easy. Remember that they retreat if wounded or if two of them go down.

Raener is very helpful, he makes quick work of the ID and can easily bail out any PC that falls victim to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malpais Legate posted:

You're unhelpful and frankly, kind of lovely.

Hurr durr pick a different dump stat. Tell me more about why the party needs to pump Intelligence.
Yeah the dump stat thing was joke, but I was pretty lovely, sorry about that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve never used or encountered mind flayers in my previous playing or DMing of D&D. I just read the stat block, and while I don’t like control loss, my assumption is that the people who have intensively studied this game while developing it assigned the CR appropriately. (Certainly by now there would be errata if something were way off.) To discover that a pair of mind flayers could slaughter a level 12 party, rather than being a way to warm up and flex like a pair of tyrannosaurs would be, would be both distressing and embarrassing as a DM.

(I even cheated because I’ve read this thread and searched Sage Advice to see if there was even the slightest caution about using them in a campaign, or warning of some kind.)

Even if the books are regularly excelled by experienced players, they should help inexperienced ones produce better results than those players would have without the book. The mind flayer is a straight gently caress-up, and they should amend and apologize — or just remove from future printings if it’s too hard to get right. This on its own condemns neither the texts (please let this one go by, Ar*v*a) nor the authors as useless, but it can’t really be taken as an example of competence either. It’s a disservice to the buyers and players, and it’s hard to come up with a charitable interpretation of why such an attractive nuisance has been left to stand unaddressed.

Thing is just a couple of week ago my party of four level 13's fought three Mind Flayers. It was kind of one sided in our favor. One Mind Flayer was killed before it could act, one mind flayer then blasted the bard and fighter, with the fighter passing. The other mind flayer repositioned to try and get the warlock and ranger in the cone next round and used dominate monster in the meantime on the fighter. (Which he passed again) Then the party killed both mind flayers before they could act again.

The DC is not super high for the mind blast, so I don't get why people keep saying anyone debilitated by it is not going to pass to act again. Assuming a 0 modifier it's a 25% chance to pass.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

So you’re saying this is a representative experience? It certainly doesn’t sound like it from what I keep reading here and elsewhere. Why do you think those accounts might differ?

How do you think the challenge of that encounter compares to one where you were facing 3 giant apes instead, to randomly choose another CR7 creature?

It would probably be easier, but longer. The apes have more hp so it likely would last an extra round or two of them being ineffective cause none of them have the attack bonus to reliably hit my parties high ac's. Mind Flayers are glass cannons, they have powerful offensive powers, but low hp and ac.

The party had just come out of against the giants where they were fighting 5 fire giants at once at one point. So they are pretty well equipped to deal with most threats.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

the_steve posted:

I heard from a guy at one of my LGS that they were coming out with a Magic Item Compendium for 5e, but every time I try to look it up online, I only ever see about the 3.5 version. Was hoping someone here could confirm.

It's a possibility. The next 5e book should be announced at some point this month.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Lol at "75% chance to not be allowed to participate" not being that bad.

Chance you're still out at the end of turn

1: 75%
2: 56%
3: 42%
4: 31%
5: 23%
6: 17% (roughly 1/6)

Yeah I don't find it that bad. Me and my group are fairly quick and well engaged so control effects have never bothered us. This is literally the big thing while it's not a popular opinion here, I don't at all mind control effects and neither does my group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Are you seriously telling me that if you told any member of your group, before they got a turn, "yeah it hits you, roll a d4 and on a 1 you sit this fight out", that they'd go "rolled a 1, this is cool and good and I'm having a great time".

How long are your rounds? How many players?

5 players on average sometimes 4. Rounds are variable depending on monster number, wager about 10 to 15 minutes average. We use quite a bit of atomization.

The thing is my players enjoy danger and suspense. If one of them got incapacitated in some way, there will generally be suspense resulting in the players discussing and planning around it. When death does happen (a fairly rare occurrence.) it's normally laughs about how one of us got unlucky and talking about the good times with that character.

Given that dying has never really bothered anyone, getting taken out for a round or two has never either. Generally because they are still invested about what's going on even when it's not their turn. My party was quite happy to unlock Rary's telepathic bond. The idea of being able to freely communicate no matter their state, so guys that were stunned or paralyzed could contribute ideas without it being considered metagaming was popular as they are not huge metagaming fans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Sitting for an hour watching everyone else play is so great that literally nobody in your group would have a single problem with it? They wouldn't get on their phone, go to smoke, order pizzas, etc, they'd sit there engrossed in the game just the same as if they were playing it?

For real?

Like, fair enough. I've never ever encountered a single player who would do something like that, but fair enough, if that's your experience. Maybe try to be aware that your incredibly focused, highly invested group is an outlier.

I am not trying to change your minds about it, I already said you guys won't agree with me. LIke it's a fundamental difference in a opinions and playstyle, most of you guys seem to be very cautious and risk averse in games. The idea of characters being disabled or killed seems to be a negative mark for a lot of you.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

:agreed:, the MM or DMG should have more guidelines like what “The Monsters Know What They’re Doing” provides.

I remember the 3e monster manual provided some round to round tactics for some bigger and more complicated monsters. Some of that would be cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

So, erm, this is tangentially related but what is the general consensus on Critical Role?

I personally really enjoy it, but want to see what others think. Thanks!

It's fun but not really my kind of show.

It also had a thread itself over in TV https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850885

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

At 6th level, Evokers get Potent Cantrip: Creatures that successfully save against their cantrips take half damage.
At 10th level, Evokers get Empowered Evocation: they add their Int modifier to damaging evocation spells.

Number of damaging evocation cantrips with saves in the PHB: Zero.

Da fuq?

In a weird bit there is no evocation cantrips that benefit.

It's original version was apparently Cantrips dealt half damage on a miss, but the large vocal player base against that resulted in it being changed to half damage on saves. Which the evocation cantrips don't benefit from. (In the original basic rules there was actually no cantrips the wizard learned that benefited from it. And they put a few extra spells in so it was not useless.)

Edit: I found three Evocation spells the wizard learns that go off saves. https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/frostbite https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/lightning-lure https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/thunderclap

Still a bit of a shame that there is no way to make those two abilities synergize in the PHB.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panderfringe posted:

All of which are in XGE

The only PHB cantrip that benefits is poison spray, which is... not good.

Acid Splash also benefits. But what's wrong with Poison Spray?

Toshimo posted:

Poison Spray is not Evocation.

It does not need to be Evocation. It just needs to be a cantrip.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

It's a simple and straightforward case of selective pressures at work: only maze-savant minotaurs could escape the labyrinth, reproduce, and populate the world, while all the others lived and died in the labyrinth and never made it out. As a result, all modern minotaurs in the world are descended from a maze-savant ancestor with the instinctive genius to escape the labyrinth. :pseudo:

The mythological minotaur was good at the labyrinth. It was his hunting grounds, he was not lost in it. (As you can't get lost in a labyrinth there is only one path.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't the labyrinth built to keep the mythological minotaur inside of it?

Supposedly. But from how the labyrinth is depicted it appears he was kept there by the tediousness of getting to the exit or that he enjoyed the home. Minos did send people in for him to eat after all.

From checking, the original descriptions had it as a proper maze. But for some reason the one path labyrinth became popular to depict.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yes, the mythological labyrinth was a borderline impossible maze designed for the King of Crete to hold the minotaur in until someone could kill the drat thing. There were countless upon countless paths. Theseus needed to smuggle a ball of string there to help him get through it and find his way out again. It was not a linear path at all. Daedalus, the guy who made the labyrinth, could barely find his way out after he made it even!

Don't think killing the monster was ever a goal for Minos. Given that he could have just let it starve.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In 5e, it will take a 10 int fighter on average 10 rounds to pass the check, and many fighters likely have 8 int which makes it impossible. It won't last for up to 80 minutes like the AD&D one but 10 minutes is still pretty harsh.

What are you talking about here? I am looking around the page and I can't figure out what this is in reference to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

gently caress this poo poo forever.

She added a mind flayer to the crab fight, went first, and Mind blasted the whole party.

"A DM who ran this for me did this and it was FUN!

But there are no Mind Flayers in Whiteplume Mountain. Meaning she added it in just to buff up the fight.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 9, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/725193970196701184

So, the problem is this:
  • PHB says that Total Cover is defined as complete concealment.
  • Jeremy says that WoF (and any solid object) provides Total Cover despite not being concealment.
  • PHB says you can't target spells on something that has Total Cover.
  • This means you can't target anything on the opposite side of a Wall of Force (or mundane window) with spells, even if the spell doesn't physically pass through the wall or window.

Mearls, of course, routinely rules the other way.

I am still not sure why this matters? Nothing can pass through the wall other than sight, so you can't target things on the other side anyway. Also why would a mundane window provide the same protection, stuff can go through a window?

Added on you can ignore anything Crawford says, he has said so himself. The intent matters more than the words.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

koreban posted:

If an invisible wall makes what’s behind it invisible

But it does not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elysiume posted:

In my case, I didn't even try to cast spells through a Wall of Force because 1) in earlier editions you simply couldn't, 2) if you could then 60 castings of various cantrips kills anything that can't teleport or cast disintegrate and I didn't want my DM to roll his eyes at me.

It depends on the spell what can go through the wall. You can conjure or create something outside it if the spell says you can.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elysiume posted:

Guess Mearls and Sage Advice contradict one another. Maybe I was wrong and they should just be ignored--they really should've done actual errata/FAQ instead of the stupid Sage Advice/random twitter post mess. If people want to rule that Wall of Force does/doesn't provide cover or that said cover does/doesn't affect the rule for targeting a spell, that's their prerogative.

Crawford says you are free to ignore whatever he tweets. Actual errata and articles on the site overrule anything he says on a social media post. We have actual errata after all. (Most recent linked to be helpful http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/errata-november-2018) No FAQ as far as I know however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DrSunshine posted:

In Out of the Abyss, for the "pursuit level" at the beginning of the adventure -- should the players know that, or is it a DM only thing?

DM only. They should not know the Drow are tracking them unless they actually spot them tracking them.