Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kaysette posted:

My uncle who works at Nintendo has basically confirmed more spelljammer content is coming for 5e (and there’s a big clue about this in Mad Mage) but idk the timeline on that. There will also be Ravnica AL stuff eventually since I guess the experiment with Eberron went well.

Isn't there also Planescape foreshadowing in Tomb of Annihilation? I remember that was what everyone was expecting before they announced Eberron and Ravnica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Great, thanks. Neither of my groups do that. Might see about starting. Potions don't seem to come up that often for us anyway.

If you or someone in a rule-making position in your group watches Critical Role, it may have come from there. They have a house rule that my group adopted where taking a potion is a bonus action, but making another player drink a potion (like if they are unconscious) is a full action.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Sonic damage does not exist in 5E.

Calling what should be sonic damage "thunder" is one of those little things that endlessly annoys me. How are you going to have both lightning and thunder damage? C'mon!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ritorix posted:

Why would you ever need to do that? It comes to initiative timing and action economy, the same reason it's usually ok to just heal someone to 1hp. But if you go before a monster, and the injured ally goes after the monster, it won't be enough to just bring them to 1hp. The boss could sneeze at them and they yo-yo right back down to 0 and still lose their turn; at least they wont die but it still sucks. Then it's back to your turn and you need to heal again. If you have an idea of how many HP they need to tank a hit, you can try to target above that with the heal combo above. Then hopefully the ally makes good use of that turn to get into better position, use CC or whatever.

Just want to touch on this, is there anything preventing a healer from just holding their action until the enemy turn passes, in this case?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

About a month ago Critical Role was about to have a ship battle using the UA rules until Taliesin's character overturned the ship with a Tidal Wave. It was also very near the end of their seafaring adventures so Mercer was joke complaining about never getting a chance to try the rules out and all I could think of was "I'm so glad they never have to try out this trash subsystem."

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I finally caved and bought the Warlord and, as someone who hasn't played 4E, I am totally seeing why people here leaned more toward Valor Bard as the Warlord approximation.

One thing I find particularly neat are all the different uses for the command dice. Depending on the stratagem, they can be used as damage on a miss, disadvantage on attackers, a (usually) lower power Shield that goes on top of your attack, etc.

I think right now the ones I have eyes on most of all are the Daring Gambler and Supreme Tactician. I have a player who is running a Barbarian who was considering multiclassing into which I don't think synergizes particularly well, outside of the themes of the character, but that Gambler would probably be best for them.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Ramba Ral posted:

So, I just got roped into the whole 5e thing because the GM wanted to take a break and another decided to run it. Playing a Monk right now, but the rest of the party are all magic users from wizard, sorcerer, and warlock.

So, I take it since once they start casting fireballs I'll be regulated to party mule? Aside from Elemental Path any interesting Monk subclasses I should consider?

Elemental Path is specifically the one you should be avoiding. Pretty much all the other subclasses have something neat about them. Shadow lets you play as a ninja, Open Palm and Long Death get some neat abilities, Sun Soul lets you be the closest approximation to Goku.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

koreban posted:

But, hey, you get a property out of it. (This can be done in LMoP with a creative resolution of a populated manor house.)

Also the castle. That's what my group ended up flocking to at the end.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Strong disagree. +5 Passive Perception is a big deal.

Overall, though, for Rogue subclasses:

AT > Swashy > Thief > Assassin > Inquisitive > Scout > Mastermind

So this may be better in the GM thread, but since this coming up here I thought I should ask: what exactly are the major weaknesses of the Mastermind? And how can I shore that up as a GM?

One thing I can definitely see is that there is little to help them in combat. They have their bonus action Help from a distance to provide someone else advantage (a little less helpful since they benefit the most from advantage), and then at 13 they get Misdirection, which is worded a bit weird so other GMs may not grant it as liberally as I would have. The optional aspect of Insightful Manipulator can be good for RP but the rest of it feels very limited and the capstone is very underwhelming. Am I missing anything?

I'm asking because one of my players had very little experience and chose Mastermind (I did recommend other subclasses but this was what interested them). They're a good role player, but I would like to get them working with a bit better tools as they go further (currently level 6, mind you, so there's time before it becomes an issue).

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Before I took over DMing my group, our DM tried to make it a thing that not only did druids not wear armor, but the party druid's scimitar didn't meld with the rest of her items during wild shape, so she would have to remember to pick up it up after unshaping.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Nemo posted:

I'm going to be taking Ritual Caster on my divination wizard so he can learn cleric rituals like Augury/Commune/Divination.

Have you guys had trouble finding rituals after taking the feat? I'm worried about how difficult it will be to find what I want other than the two 1st level rituals I get for free. It's not like we typically find clerical spellbooks in treasure hoards, so I think I'd be limited to either finding a spell scroll of the spell I want, or finding a friendly NPC cleric of a high enough level to teach me the spell.

I checked with my DM before we started the campaign to make sure I'd eventually be exposed to some way to pursue my goal, but he warned that it might take a while. I hope he takes it easy on me.

In the campaign that I run, I have a player who runs a RC Barb, and there have been the occasional shops that deal in some common magic items and some low level scrolls (currently they are level 6 so I will have to adjust as we move forward). They usually have a small grocery list of what rituals they are interested in, and the way I tend to handle it is by providing some, maybe even most of what they are looking for, as well as a couple things they may not be immediately interested in. I give out money pretty generously and they play their character as a big spender so they usually invest in one of the extra scrolls so they have some room to play around with it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

- One PC is a clerc/shepherd druid who is the grand-nephew of one of the most famous generals in the world. I want the item to be a tactical manual written by said general, but I'm not sure what it should actually do. I'd like to avoid extant mechanics like "get advantage on X" and probably scavenge something from the warlord. Does "1/short rest give everyone a move action" sound like it would be interesting enough?

Make it similar to the magic tomes: if they spend enough time studying the book they get a permanent boost in INT, proficiency in INT checks involving combat strategy (doubled if it's something they already are proficient in).

Or perhaps mine the Schwalb Warlord for a mechanic that they can learn. Maybe consider what type of warlord the general was if you want it to be something more specialized.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Apart from published stuff, I haven't used an official setting for anything more off the cuff. The setting I run is my DM-turned-player's homebrew that they passed off to me when they got DM burnout.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

What's the accepted policy for making homebrews derived from homebrew content? I'm reworking Matt Colville's Warfare system based on feedback from my players and, if it goes over well, I'm considering putting it up for others to use. Will it be okay to charge for that? I would be careful not to be republishing anything directly from the source and include disclaimers saying "hey this only works if you have S&F as a base."

Also probably going to include an optional bit section for utilizing the Warlord homebrew in Warfare.

If this is something considered a dick move I have no problem refraining. I'm mostly interested in helping people improve their experience, but I Would be down to get paid a bit in the process.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I had my first session using my current draft of revisions for the Strongholds and Followers Warfare mechanic. I mentioned before I had a player who was not a fan of how overly simple and vanilla it was.

I went about setting up a movement and range system, unit type effectiveness, and some other mechanics we haven't used yet (new Pike units for handling Cavalry, weather mechanics). The guideline is adding enough depth to be interesting while not going too ham (I played with the idea of expanding the weather to include wind directions but nixed it in favor of "bad weather kills movement and storms may hurt Aerial units). I was also able to take this chance to include a Warlord, mixing a little of Schwalb's class with a scaled back Volo's NPC block. Gave them a war mechanic where they can use Battle Commands to refresh a unit early.

The player who wasn't feeling the basic Warfare was happier with this. There's still a bunch of work to be done on it, but I'm hoping to hear from the rest of my players about it soon and see how they are feeling. The campaign is leading to a period with a lull in warfare so I think I'll try to run one-shots to play in this space and feel out what works.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Since you also mentioned Extra Attack you can also go 6 Paladin and then just flavor your Oath as something more thematic because the world is your oyster and so is your character lore. I know Extra Attack is at 5 but at that point you may as well go the extra distance for Aura.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There are a few characters you could probably pull from to get "naturally unsettling" from. The fire genasi from Campaign 1 of Critical Role freaked the hell out of the players, to the point where a fairly benign request from him made them think they were dropping a nuke into the setting's holy city.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The Stefan Molyneux-looking guy might also be Chris Perkins. Molyneux is milquetoast-looking enough to cover a few bases.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Are there any good builds for a Rogue/Sorceror? The talk about Subtle Spell got me very interested in the idea. Obviously Sorceror would be the main focus. Sleight of Hand and Thieve's Tools would be less incentivized to take as an Expertise (Subtle and Knock, respectively), which could perhaps go to a CHA ability to synergize with Sorceror. I think the main question is whether I would do a 1 level dip into Rogue for Expertise and Sneak Attack with a bow, or go 3 and get that good good invisible Mage Hand to fill out the concept.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Someone posted a sun soul monk build a while back. Can they post it again?

Also, rp inspiration for same would be cool. I haven't seen whatever anime but I'm not opposed to hearing about it.

E: other radiant or maybe fire characters also welcome. I've decided I want to be The Destroying Brightness this time around.

While the go to anime comparison is Dragon Ball Z, the pinnacle of kung fu anime is G Gundam. It's also like an 80th of the size. Flavor wise the best options are probably a Domon or Master Asia. Plant the idea in your DM's head that you are really into replicating the Burning Finger/Heat End and maybe they'll throw you some special gloves or something.

You can also try going paladin with a monkish flavor. My paladin had a fist fight with our aasimar barbarian and even with her radiant resistance, smited fists were out damaging her. The trick is to have Rise Shining Gundam playing when you bust that out.

E: just double checked and turns out you can Burning Hands as Sun Soul so that covers Burning Finger.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 1, 2019

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

To add some actual flavor notes to those character ideas: the idea is over the top bombast, complete lack of subtlety. Your ideals are shouted over the rooftops because some kids are watching this probably and they need to know the typical antiwar messages in a way that's somewhat digestible.

The key difference between a Domon and a Master Asia is that Domon is always angry and a dipshit moron. He learns the lessons and surpasses the master at the end of the day but you wanna punch him along the way. A Master Asia is more of a goof and will just constantly clown on the dipshit moron he associates with. Also he hates the government.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

So I wasn't actually going for gloriously stupid but then I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUIKzVN1Hmk and yeah. This.

I AM THE LIGHT THAT DESTROYS! YOU HURT MY FRIENDS! NOW I HAVE EMOTIONS! MY HAND IS ON FIRE! I WILL DEFEAT YOU! SHIIIINIIIIIIING FIIIIIINGERRRRRR!

We should all be encouraged to have melodramatic monologues introducing our special attacks.

My only complaint about that video is the lack of either Master Asia or Schwartz Bruder (who is a good Shadow monk baseline)

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

This weekend my players will be sailing through a haunted sea and fighting ghost minotaur pirates. In brewing the NPCs I'm looking for abilities and mechanics more fun than "resistance to mundane weapons, get hosed rogue while the three magic users fight them".

Right now my best idea is to let them bonus action into and out of the ethereal plane and give them something like the swashbuckler extra damage to creatures not adjacent to an ally. Or maybe reckless attack because granting advantage is less of a hindrance if you can go ethereal before getting attacked.

The party is lvl 4: rogue, warlock, two clerics

Definitely arbitrate some reason for the Rogue to hit ghosts so that they aren't twiddling their thumbs. I would suggest instead of blinking, have them hide as part of their movement by having them move through parts of the ship. Have some fun with it. Maybe one of them is kinda dumb and hid in a mast without realizing they were too thick and their shoulders are showing through.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The crit is only going to be particularly huge for that first hit, and if they are leaning more into the extra attacks then it won't even be a huge burst for that one attack. Sidenote: I did learn while verifying that apparently there's nothing saying all the attacks after the initial strike aren't assassinations, so this is at least a bit more powerful than I thought. Still, that's only an extra 2d6 of crit on the first attack and then by the time you have all those Extra Attacks you'll be wanting to have that leg up.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kaal posted:

I've read about Crawford's interpretation about this before, but I find it wholly unconvincing. It seems very grognardy, and would totally prevent any readied spellcasting except they carved out an exception so wide that they made it possible to use readied actions to make all your spells uncounterable. This sort of thing is really the weakest part of the 5e ruleset, and should be freely discarded by any DM that wants players to feel empowered rather than constrained by the system.

Not what you are talking about, but reading this gave me a thought.

I didn't realize spellcasting could be worked around the same way as Hasted Sneak Attack. Normal rules is that you can't cast both an Action spell and a Bonus Action spell. However the wording states "on the same turn," so you could totally, for example, Bonus Action Healing Word and then ready an Action spell. This would, however, have to be done instead of something like Shield.

Dunno if this is common knowledge but I've never seen anyone point it out.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It doesn't work because

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs[...]

You're still casting the spell on your turn, only delaying the effect taking place.

Aw drat, foiled again.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone got a ~3rd level adventure with a small town and nearby rear end in a top hat wizard?

I've got the kernel of an idea for short adventure where a wizard is "stealing" words from a nearby village (thanks Austin Walker!) I'd like some bones to lay that idea on.

Just steal the first day of Kingdom Hearts 2 only make Diz the guy behind the thief.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Sometimes I will exaggerate the effects of a crit or crit miss a bit for the flair, but it's on a case by case basis and flavor first and foremost. I certainly won't make a player lose a limb without some setup (we do have a coup de grace system, as well), but a mook can lose a limb they aren't currently using. The rules aren't the same for PCs and mooks.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Does anyone know a solution to the whack-a-mole problem?

I'm part of a table that takes it in turns to GM. As a player I've found that the GM can down a lot of us, and so long as someone can heal the big healer we'll all just get right back up again. Our current GM has said that this is a known issue known as "whack-a-mole" and I came here because, well...

...if it's a known issue, is there a known solution?

Take out the healer first.

One instance I had 2 players using a Healing Spirit to stay alive against 2 Assassins. Once they started popping up and down the assassins obviously noticed, so they focused on trying to kill the players. Normally I shift focus to the immediate threats but in this case it made sense to go for the kill.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I have a CE druid that works fine with the rest of the good-to-neutral group, but just leaves slightly Druidcrafted kudzu seedpods at locations while nobody is looking and leaves them to infest civilized areas. It's a small time thing for an up-and-coming villain. I fully intend, if we get far enough, to relinquish the character as she becomes a full on villain, however.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Does anyone here ever go out of their way to give their dwarf characters a non-Scottish accent, if only to buck the trend/stereotype? I played in a one-shot game online a few weeks ago where I rolled up a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer and had him speak in a thick, Russian accent just for the hell of it, and it was pretty fun.

Because it was already established by the time I took over the setting, I do use the Scottish, but only for some hill dwarves, since they are from highlands so it makes a sense. Mountain dwarves get accents from mountainous regions. Duergar and derro are likely going to be encountered in the Nordic region that also serves as an aboveground Underdark, so they are going to have Scandinavian accents.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a dm who houseruled this, describing it as "defender wins" which frankly makes even less sense. Means he's knowingly nerfing martials by 5%

So by this same logic I would assume they're allowing saving throws to meet? Or are they just inconsistent?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I finding it cool so far, as much as my opinion is worth. It's nice to have a look into some classic Greyhawk stuff, like the Scarlet Brotherhood and Keoland. Also it's cool how the twist with Sinister Secret and Danger at Dunwater encourages not being a reckless murderhobo.

Also the updated version makes a cool change to The Final Enemy. Namely being able to participate in the final battle, which took place offscreen in the original.

I asked in GM, but I think it got passed over for a different topic: have they updated the ship combat rules? The UA had some pretty bad statblocks and was missing key features like boarding.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Saves always succeeded on meeting the DC though? That's why his rule makes no sense, because every other check is "meet or exceed"

Yeah I was just seeing what part of the design he would be staying consistent on.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone had experience with the Illrigger homebrew class that Matt Colville made? One of my players is retiring their character and is interested in it, so I decided to give it a look. There's some stuff that theoretically I should be more into, like the seals that function a lot like the Warlord battle dice, but it ultimately feels like it should have been a Paladin subclass homebrew and not a whole separate class. My biggest gripe is with it's level 6 ability, which is just straight up "devils don't attack you and also you can maybe force a devil to be your ally, with no downside."

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Just realized the spell progression is significantly accelerated from other hybrids. This means that, at level 10, you can set up for a 25d10 hit turn 2, among other things.

Yeah I'm telling my player that I'm not too comfy with that.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I'm running SKT as a follow up to Lost Mines and I wanted to confirm something. One of my players is concerned that the game isn't really prepared to give the Giant Slayer as early as it does. I sped it up a little by running them through a revised version of the sidequest when they got to Yartar, but all that really amounts to is cutting a little backtracking. My guess is that it's meant to be a little OP because of later in the adventure, so I shouldn't worry too much about it. Should I worry about adjusting things or just let the one enemy type be a little easy for now?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah, the module is HARD if try to fight your way through it, so having the extra damage makes the giant lair sections more forgiving.

Since it's so tightly structured, you should also consider milestone leveling and let them explore more of the content.

Yeah I'm definitely milestone leveling. My plan for this chapter is to have the Harpers give them two threads, since my group is very into sidequesting: search Uthgardt sites for useful equipment, or seek Harshnag to [continue the quest]. Easy enough to get them to Everlund since they kept Darathra alive and we've done The Old Tower and the first half of the Calling Horn encounter.

Thanks guys for the confirmation. That's what I kind of figured. Looking forward to my players realizing how lucky they are!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kung Food posted:

If you are having them chase Harshnag might I suggest something that my players really loved? I had the Harpers send them to visit his home on Mount Sar just north of Waterdeep, (That's his canon home but really could be anywhere) because naturally that would be the first place to look. There they found the place ransacked and full of gargoyles (pets of Iymrth). After fighting the gargoyles they search the place and find a giant sized conspiracy board (which I made myself).

This is good stuff, I'm definitely going to use this. Did you eventually have them meet up with Harshnag on one of the paths, set which path he was on and see if they found him, or just let that be the end of Harshnag's involvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Are there any adventures with good city siege scenarios that are around level 5-8?

The adventure packed in to Strongholds And Followers, Matt Colville's supplement, is meant for a 5th level party. I can't comment on quality as I never read too deep into it and the book as a whole is a pretty mixed bag.