Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Coming from smaller games it's so incredible the wealth of poo poo for D&D, like hey you want custom, VTT ready maps for basically everything, someone has it. You want to munch all the DDB content into your VTT? like four clicks it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I bought the everything bundle on DDB and it tripped my credit card fraud alert system.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a separate Foundry VTT thread or is this as good a place as any?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Madmarker posted:

I guess the everything bundle includes the "Spelljammer" content?

Yeah I mainly got it because I'm running two Spelljammer games and wanted the ease of Foundry integration and stuff.

Speaking of. I'm starting a second Spelljammer game. Should I make a separate foundry "world" for it, and just re-do everything? Can I like, copy a world and just change out my players? Trying to minimize the duplication of effort. Should I just stick all the players in the same "world"?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

One of my players is a barbarian/monk and this is his backstory:

quote:

El Toro (Grod Marin) is a luchador from the slums of Waterdeep. He grew up as the son of a poor half-orc family with 4 siblings. Most of his brothers and sisters still reside there. He was well regarded in the amateur circuits for many years before he was able to debut in the premier wrestling league. His career was cut short before his first year was up when a famous elven luchador, Celedral Benoit, tragically murdered his family after going out for archery practice. Celedral then hung himself with his bowstring. El Toro was one of the few wrestlers who spoke out in the aftermath of this against magical doping, which the league pushed on the performers. For this the industry blacklisted him despite being recognized for speaking out by the fans of the sport. Since then he has done odd jobs, mostly dock-work. He misses the days where he was the hero the people cheered on and longs for a life path where he might make a difference...

And I'm letting him get away with all sorts of wrestling themed grapples and stuff. Last session a Clockwork Horror was running out of the room down a vertical shaft and he grappled it and pulled it off the wall so they both fell through the gravity plane and were wrestling in midair it was great.

He also refuses to take performance enhancing potions

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Spelljammer vs Spelljammer combat is pretty funny, my players figured out very quick that blapping the enemy spelljammer guy basically wins the fight. I was like well, having the mage sit in the basement of the ship protected is boring, so I'm considering letting spelljammers jam from anywhere. But regardless, the ship to ship combat, flinging seige engine stuff at each other is boring, I can see my players just boarding and fighting skirmish style anyways. I wonder if there's a way to abstract it, have everyone make a skill roll to aggregate to a larger check adn thats like, setting the advantage or disadvantage of boarding.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If i want to let my players choose stat impovement and feats in DDB do i need to do something to enable that or can they just do it?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I mean if I want them to be able to take both can they choose both?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So my Wrestling themed barbarian/monk player had an amazing idea which sadly didn't work out. The party came upon two Beholders who were bickering over who should guard the macguffin the party needed. The beholders wanted the party to rule on which beholder should be the rightful guard.

The PC suggests placing the trophy/macguffin into a bag of holding,mage-handing it above the circular area and having the beholders fight for it. Almost had a beholder ladder match for the title.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Satine Phoenix used to run an all-bard stream before she and her husband turned out to be complete shits.

I met her (and him maybe?) once at the Diana Jones awards and she was pretty cool so it sucks she's poo poo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

theironjef posted:

If it was the night she grabbed the mic over AP podcasts winning she was poo poo then too, since there was a planned recipient she just breezed over.

It was but we talked before the awarding so I had no idea about that. Wild.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I would love some tips about how to make travel in 5e fun and meaningful. I’ve always found it to be kind of lame, especially as presented in the DMG (and I know I’m not alone in this!) Any recommendations, guides, or third-party materials that you can point me to?

Are you looking for whole new mechanics to glom onto 5e for travel or just generally?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

HellCopter posted:

You think that'd work, but I can't count the number of times I told a player "Don't roll for perception, you saw it all" and they didn't believe me

I once told several players that a pit was bottomless, they even used their senses and such to check it. Because it was there, they were convinced there was something in it, so they jumped in and were mad when they died.

I even made each one of them say to me "I, (characters name here) choose willingly to leap into a pit I know to be bottomless."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

champagne posting posted:

The Spelljammer included adventure starts this way with "you're supposed to run away"

I'm running it soonish and don't know yet how to telegraph it. Should I just tell the players: These enemies keep re-spawning and you will eventually be exhausted and die, run right now?

I am putting the tavern they're in basically at the docks, so even if the players stand and fight the infinite blights, they see the ship and see that it's an obvious way out of here. Or they will see that the thugs are harassing commoners and step in to help. Captain Sartell can also come out of the shadows and say "hey i need to get to my ship, help me and ill give you a ride out of here"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you're starting Light of Xaryxis from Spelljammer Academy you can also have the vines just attack the academy and the players escape on a merchant ship at the spelljammer dock.

edit:
Any suggested stats for Wizpop, Pffred or Krik-lit? I am going to have them come along as sort of misc crew, 3 or so levels behind the party but I don't really want to make them full characters though as I write this maybe I ought to.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 23, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks Goons for the answers and commiseration. I appreciate you!

Also remember that as a player, you might be able to tell another player something that helps them to make a choice, then as a character, stand aside and let that players' character do the thing. Especially if the player is potentially struggling and their character ought not to be.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also if the players are having fun fuckin with a well, plotting and scheming, well let them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

First round of the first Light of Xaryxis encounter is going alright, they knocked down 2 blights, the wrestling monk has another grappled and prone and its just toast next time someone looks at it funny. I started off with the 2nd round of blights appearing off map a little more narratively to drive them to the docks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looking for 2 good foundry addons, one to handle letting players move up and down their spelljammer ship levels, so i guess a like portal system to connect up and down stairs?

And looking for something to replace/augment the status effects icons on tokens, Foundry is good but they aren't 1 to 1 the dnd effects.

Also, if you run Spelljammer Academy and don't give the players Wizpop the Autognome as a companion you're a bad DM and a monster.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Libertad! posted:

I don't own the adventure, so I'm interested in the unnamed token which looks like a golden gnome 2 squares south of Vesper. What's that about?

That is Wizpop, he can get picked up in the Spelljammer Academy adventure and not surprisingly my players have taken a liking to him so I gave him some artificer abilities and support spells and they're taking him along. Same with Pffred and Plasmoid and Krik-lit the Thri-kreen.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 24, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh that's great, for a while if you didnt' claim it you just couldn't see it.

edit: lol that's still the case I guess, fuckin stupid and idiotic to do it that way.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yusin posted:

It's in the All Sources for Adventures not the drop down.

Yeah but if you click to any of the content it takes you to the "you don't own this page"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

GigaPeon posted:

I think I need to rephrase my question: is it worth it to obtain a PHB to gain access to the expanded character creation options (races, feats, subclasses, spells) it contains which aren’t in the basic rules/SRD and also assuming I’m willing to put some cash into this.

Yeah, especially if you're using DDB to make characters. What's also nice is if someone in your group is dead set on playing a Tortle, they can just buy you the Tortle race for 2 bucks rather than the whole book which contains Tortles....just make sure they buy you the race for players and not the monster.

edit: What 'change my name' said, buy it on DDB you're good there.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh for sure I'm having fun with Tortles. In one of my games there is a Tortle wizard who has a human familiar who so far the players haven't figured out exactly what is going on. It's funny to watch the human get blapped from an attack then the turtle run away to hide for an hour though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I want to add a metacurrency to allow my PCs to essentially activate one of their npc companions and have them do something. Like an Executive Order in the Battlestar Galactica Board Game if that helps. I was going to just use inspiration and just start everyone with it every game, but can I homebrew it into DDB and have that transfer into foundry with the ddb-importer or am I asking for trouble, there.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you DM is cool with it, you could do an Order of the Ghostslayer Blood Hunter, would be a neat tie in with the historical/long lasting family stuff potentially.

Otherwise seconding Paladin for sure.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Summit posted:

Doesn’t seem right to say they need new editions to make money. They can always make new adventures and settings. DMs are always looking for new modules to run.

Not even sure I’d bother buying the core rule books anymore. Everything is online and a lot easier to use with search functions.

Frankly, sell me an adventure plus foundry maps for everything for like 60, 80 bucks ill bite the poo poo out of that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I have a question for my DM compatriots here: I am running the new spelljammer campaign and I had an unexpected issue pop up with my player group the other night. We reached a point in the campaign where they are leaving with an NPC on a ship with the threat of being found by astral elf spies at any moment. They managed to trigger an additional combat sequence by not immediately leaving after threatening the current captain of the ship with violence (in the guide it says you give them an hour to fart around on the ship and then the captain returns with a crew to fight them. Sure enough they farted around talking to a treant lol). So we resolved that encounter but they refused to leave without a long rest. I did a pretty standard escalation of first explaining (in character as the NPC) that the spies they fought off before would surely return, then when they refused and tried a long rest I had a party of astral elves attack with surprise because they still didn't actually just leave the docks. That encounter was resolved, but they are very insistent on a long rest BEFORE leaving the dock on the ship.

So what would you do? I could simply tell them as the NPC that they will probably have time to take a long rest after they leave, but I am not sure they would even believe him. Alternatively I could throw more powerful elves at them or even an impossible to defeat fleet of star moths that it is very obvious they have to flee, but that doesn't seem right to me either.

You're at the same place as my party which is pretty funny. I kept my group from lingering by saying basically the guards on the Rock of Bral don't want trouble, and your party just murdered 4 astral elves. Even if you're in the right you're going to get arrested and have to plead your case. You can also use Krux as a level because it's his plan and his ship. It can take days to get to Tonopah's tower so the party has time to long rest.

If they long rest, then you get to explore more of the Rock as the guards haul them before the prince, or anyone else you think is interesting. Also, if you have any character who has prophecy or anything like that, you can always pull the old, TPK the party with a huge force of elves then snap that character awake as a premonition.

Also my party absolutely DUMPSTERED the fight with Hastain, I'd probably give her one or two bodyguards to make it fair. Though the fight with Big Momma almost killed a player.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Zurreco posted:

I'm having a problem running my Strahd campaign. My party understands that they are in constant danger, but they are also convinced that because they are morally in the right, good folk will rally behind them and things will work out. As such, they always do things so... directly. They never stealth or sleuth, instead simply knocking on doors and announcing themselves. They ask even the most nefarious and untrustworthy NPCs to simply lead them places and then are shocked when it occasionally ends with them in a predicament. They say that they need downtime to do stuff but then opt to waltz directly to the nearest big target without gathering clues or supplies.

As the DM, how do I reel this in without having an NPC literally say it to their faces? Is there a way to impart this knowledge that isn't just "most times you do this poo poo things go way south and you almost TPK every few sessions?"

Are they having fun?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah if they're hellbent on running to the end then go there.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The easy change for ability scores which still keeps them as they are is to allow you to designate one as a primary and one as a secondary, attacks use your primary, other poo poo can use your secondary etc. You want to be a CHA fighter? cool, you are like the guy in the princess bride. You want to be a INT fighter? cool, you can be like the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes.

Etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any good adventures that start around lvl 9? My crew is halfway through the Light of Xaryxis and if I'm gonna tie something in I want to make sure I can seed it. I was also considering just yanking stuff from yawning portal or radiant citadel

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've run Spelljammer Academy fully twice, and the second group just got started with Light of Xaryxis so, ask me any questions about those. I'm really liking the flash gordon stylings of LoX.

SJA could use some extra stuff to pad it out if you really wanted to run it for a while.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

St0rmD posted:

I mean....they quite literally padded it out with 2 extra book covers and a slipcase...if it had been one book like Curse of Strahd or Waterdeep Dragon Heist, it would have been the thinnest product they've released so far!

I think the three piece for spelljammer is fine. They kinda botched the release of spelljammer academy, SJA which is what I was referring to. I wish it had a little more.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm curious if there's a like, random villager token thing for foundry, one generic Actor in the actors pane but a different rng name, token, etc when you drag it out to the map.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

homeless snail posted:

You can use wildcards in the token path to pull random images from a directory, that's built in. For names I like Token Mold.

That would require setting it up though i guess I want one that does it for me :D

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I got my xmas bonus and would like to spread some cheer. If there's something you want on D&D Beyond let me know! I'll be PMing codes so you gotta have pms. You also have to tell me about one of your characters. Either your own if you're a player, or your players if you're a DM. Why are they cool and fun and neat? I'll gift till my meager budget runs out!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

imagine dungeons posted:

I want a pony.

The Pony statblock is free.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

So one of my players was killed (ripped apart by a four armed giant pretty metal imo) and I am having some trouble weighing how to reintroduce him to the game from a mechanics perspective. On the one hand I want dying to be kind of a pain so that there is an element of risk and death has consequences, but on the other hand its a game we play for fun so I don't want to make it too much of a chore. What do you guys usually do?

My idea right now is to let him choose to either create a new character or keep the existing character with a new name/backstory/stats. I won't let him keep his loot and I am going to clear his accumulated XP so he will be behind the other players a bit, but I am thinking he can level up the new character to the same level as the dead one. Does this seem reasonable?

You could have him be part of the crews of the other ships at the Fortress, if they already left Vocath's then you could have him be on another ship they meet next. I wouldn't start him any further behind than he was, so same level as the party, with an equivalent choice of magic item for level what, 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Can you cast Teleport from inside a Resilient Sphere? I ruled it yes, for a few reasons, 1) the spell "effect" doesnt pass through the sphere, you simply disappear and reappear somewhere, it never transitions the boundary (unlike if it was say, a line of sight spell perhaps), 2) force cage, a higher level similar spell specifically calls out teleportation in its description, and 3) it made the bad guy get away which means I can bring them back but I am curious how others would have ruled or if there's a sage advice.