Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

H''''''

The h is silent

J'ohn Cage, pronounced "______"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reo posted:

There's already optional mechanics in the game for a Disarm action, which are what the bizarre attack roll vs dex save mechanic is based on. Also, seems like a really annoying and cheesy thing to do to any humanoid NPC with a weapon. "I disarmed you and kicked your weapon way, now you're helpless, fight over." That's why I limited the effect to disadvantage on a weapon attack - it lets you knock their aim off, without enforcing or disallowing disarming rules.

I get it, I started from that exact mindset - disarm, disarm and catch, etc. But it just seems mechanically too weird or too potentially overpowered (or useless against enemies not holding weapons).

Personally, while I have mostly stopped caring that the designers of 5E don't actually understand how their own system design works, I still get bothered when new rules get based on the poster examples of that lack of understanding.

Attack rolls for the disarming character are determined by PB + ability modifier + weapon modifier + other modifier. PB goes from +2 to +6, most ability modifiers will move from +3 to +5, weapon modifiers might go from +0 to +2 or better, and other modifiers might account for another 1-4 points except on rare occasions.

Saving throws are determined either by PB + ability modifier + item modifier + other modifier, or just plain ability + item + other. Almost no monsters are going to get the "other" modifier (requiring something like a Bless spell) or the "item" modifier. So non Dex-based monsters are probably rocking a +2 or +3 Dex save. The CR 12 Warlord may have a +7 Dex save thanks to proficiency, but CR 26 Zariel isn't proficient and has the same +7.

A level 8 PC might be +3 PB +5 ability +1 weapon, for +9 attack bonus without spells. That's a 10% edge over Zariel. But the really obnoxious case is that same L8 PC disarming a CR 9 Cloud Giant who is wielding a giant-sized great sword, because the giant has a Dex save of +0. So the L8 PC has over an 80% chance of success on that disarm. That's about 15% better than the same PC's chances of disarming a CR 1/4 Sprite's longsword.

Boundedness means the rolls still matter, but not by much with the mismatches between attack rolls and saving throws. Poor Zariel vs a L20 character with a giant strength belt is looking at worse odds than the Cloud Giant is.

In my own games, I tend to throw out the "is this balanced" question and instead ask "is this a fun mechanic, especially if it gets used against the PCs at some point"? I don't think I've ever answered "yes" when it comes to a disarming attack. At least the Battlemaster ability uses the correct DC vs saving throw computation.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

they’re not all crazy apostrophe stuff! mine was named Verel, there’s one in DotMM called Jerath, Baldur’s Gate II has a spelljammer captain called Ahmaz

Thank you for this! It legitimately took a huge weight off my brain. Got a suitable name now.

Serr Draxon. Pronounced like "Sir." Because it's Spelljammer and a little levity is called for. "You can call me Serr," and so forth, feeding into the whole "Githyanki come off like imperious dicks" thing.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

there ya go, works great.

I find that the fictional languages and anthropology in most TTRPG settings are generally not fleshed out enough that you basically don’t have to worry so long as you’ve got the vibe right. and even then you have some wiggle room!

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 15, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If i want to let my players choose stat impovement and feats in DDB do i need to do something to enable that or can they just do it?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Pretty sure they can just do it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

If i want to let my players choose stat impovement and feats in DDB do i need to do something to enable that or can they just do it?

It shows up as a drop-down selector, either ASI or Feat on the Class Features page.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I mean if I want them to be able to take both can they choose both?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Yes; you can just add any feats (or adjust your stats) at any time, it's not restricted by leveling up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elendil004 posted:

I mean if I want them to be able to take both can they choose both?

Have them choose one, then add the other manually. The easiest would be to take the ASI when prompted, then add the feat from the feat manager on the character sheet.

They let you take all the feats you want. They aren't your mom.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So my Wrestling themed barbarian/monk player had an amazing idea which sadly didn't work out. The party came upon two Beholders who were bickering over who should guard the macguffin the party needed. The beholders wanted the party to rule on which beholder should be the rightful guard.

The PC suggests placing the trophy/macguffin into a bag of holding,mage-handing it above the circular area and having the beholders fight for it. Almost had a beholder ladder match for the title.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I need help, I'm coming up to my first feat/asi choice. I have str 14 and wis 18 and am a life cleric. I am torn on whether I should take heavy armor master or +2 to Wis. I already got a free feat at first level and took war caster. My thoughts for HAM is that using it with warding bond would be kinda cool and generally help my survivability a bit. Also 15 str would mean i don't get a -10 to speed if I ever get better than the chainmail I'm currently wearing. I'm likely going to take one or the other this time and the other at the next. Should I just leave it and go with the wis? Is HAM a bad idea in general?

Assuming your DM would allow the Heavy Armor Master feat to reduce mundane slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage taken from Warding Bond, it is a valid playstyle, but I suspect that it won't perform well at higher levels. It's good that you have War Caster, but even with that, taking damage every time your tank takes damage is a lot of opportunities to lose concentration, and maintaining concentration is a big part of higher level cleric play.

If you're willing to delay things a bit, I'd recommend taking a +1 WIS "half" feat now, like Fey Touched, Shadow Touched, Telekenetic, or Telepathic, and then at level 8, take +1 WIS and +1 STR.

If you don't think your campaign is going to go into levels 8+, HAM is most useful at lower levels and would let you get Splint now, and Plate when you can afford it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I used to play as a rogue name Kel-cie Grah-mur

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

In an old 4E campaign, a buddy and I played brother bards Alexus and Edvard Von-Walen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
RIP my Aasimar Eloquence Bard, Geddward "Geddy Mercury" Hydrargyrum III.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Guthrig Stony, Dwarven College of Lore Bard wielding a guitar with "this machine kills high priests" written on it in runes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Government Handjob posted:

Guthrig Stony, Dwarven College of Lore Bard wielding a guitar with "this machine kills high priests" written on it in runes.

I love this so much.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PeterWeller posted:

In an old 4E campaign, a buddy and I played brother bards Alexus and Edvard Von-Walen.

I played a ravenloft campaign as the bard Ronald James Dioblus or "Dio" for short.

Government Handjob posted:

:black101::black101::black101:

If I play another Stradh campaign I want to play an undead bard named Rob.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Satine Phoenix used to run an all-bard stream before she and her husband turned out to be complete shits.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Satine Phoenix used to run an all-bard stream before she and her husband turned out to be complete shits.

I met her (and him maybe?) once at the Diana Jones awards and she was pretty cool so it sucks she's poo poo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Elendil004 posted:

I met her (and him maybe?) once at the Diana Jones awards and she was pretty cool so it sucks she's poo poo.

If it was the night she grabbed the mic over AP podcasts winning she was poo poo then too, since there was a planned recipient she just breezed over.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just from the stuff I've seen about them on twitter, they seem to be two people who have gotten sucked into LA and begun to normalise the way a lot of creatives gently caress each other over to climb to the top, particularly from Stone. Satine at least seems to have been a reasonably decent person with a messed up past up to a certain point, but once the first few stories about Stone started leaking, the floodgates opened and it's very clear his dom persona is leaking.

The most generous possible interpretation is that she went along with a lot of it, but didn't stop him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just from the stuff I've seen about them on twitter, they seem to be two people who have gotten sucked into LA and begun to normalise the way a lot of creatives gently caress each other over to climb to the top, particularly from Stone. Satine at least seems to have been a reasonably decent person with a messed up past up to a certain point, but once the first few stories about Stone started leaking, the floodgates opened and it's very clear his dom persona is leaking.

The most generous possible interpretation is that she went along with a lot of it, but didn't stop him.

Considering they stated on their private chat that their plan was to pin everything on Stone so that Satine could try to come out relatively clean, there is negative reason to believe "most generous possible interpretation"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

theironjef posted:

If it was the night she grabbed the mic over AP podcasts winning she was poo poo then too, since there was a planned recipient she just breezed over.

It was but we talked before the awarding so I had no idea about that. Wild.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Piell posted:

Considering they stated on their private chat that their plan was to pin everything on Stone so that Satine could try to come out relatively clean, there is negative reason to believe "most generous possible interpretation"
True, there was also a livestream which was her crying and being incredibly confused about what was going on which, if that was planned, credit to her for being better at acting there than she's ever demonstrated a capacity for previously.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ooof, we just wiped in Strixhaven. On a random encounter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

class dismissed

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Elendil004 posted:

It was but we talked before the awarding so I had no idea about that. Wild.

The one common factor among the worst people to ever live is they're charming and pleasant when you have a chat with them.

My best personality trait is that I'm equally annoying and awkward all the time.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I know the thread is slow, but can we not talk about the assholes who've already been talked to death in the industry thread.

Raenir Salazar posted:

You gotta give more details than that!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The midterm was brutal.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PeterWeller posted:

You gotta give more details than that!

book fell off shelf, crushed party

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah what happened? Bad dice? Bad call? Both? How does everyone feel? How is it being handled?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Now your players have to play as senior year necomancy students with a final project to reanimate the previous party

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

giving the bullies firecrackers seems funny but a bead of fireballs is not the way to mechanically model that

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I would love some tips about how to make travel in 5e fun and meaningful. I’ve always found it to be kind of lame, especially as presented in the DMG (and I know I’m not alone in this!) Any recommendations, guides, or third-party materials that you can point me to?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I would love some tips about how to make travel in 5e fun and meaningful. I’ve always found it to be kind of lame, especially as presented in the DMG (and I know I’m not alone in this!) Any recommendations, guides, or third-party materials that you can point me to?

"You must gather your party before venturing forth" -> optional encounter / story encounter -> Arrival

Alternatively give your players space to role play if they're into that sort of thing

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I tried the threats and boons thing described in this video to smashing success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQv4GC0N9Q

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I enjoy a lot of posts at the Alexandrian. Relevant to this topic:

Thinking About Wilderness Travel (2019)
Wilderness Travel in 5e Hexcrawls (2021)

The second is part of a series on running a hexcrawl in 5e, but I think you can get use from it anyway. I recommend reading the whole series.

Besides that, value as a human being aside (because he seems like a massive chud with a huge, fragile ego), the Angry GM has a lot of pretty decent posts on this as well, in my opinion:

Presenting an Explorable World of Adventure
What Makes Exploration Exploration?

Do yourself a favor and skip the introduction to any of his articles that you read. He seems to deliberately inflate his wordcount a lot of the time but usually the ideas underneath are pretty solid in my experience (the Angry GM's Tension Dice system has worked great at my table, for instance)

If reading theory is interesting to you at this point, this is one of my favorite series of blog posts on D&D in general:

The Classic Dungeon Crawl

It has two posts related to exploration and a few about other subsystems as well as recommendations on how to make them work better within the framework of 5e.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 22, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Are you looking for whole new mechanics to glom onto 5e for travel or just generally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Zombie Dachshund posted:

i built an entire multi page system to solve this problem lol. the unfortunate answer is 5e did an absolute poo poo job of travel rules. to make a long story short, you need to build random encounters in travel in such a way that the individual encounters as part of an overarching travel feel like they create a narrative instead of being "and then, uh, some ogres show up with... a gunsword !!". i am also going to strongly advise against tracking rations and water as good gameplay, some people are into it and if you are then you know you are and can ignore this