Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Why even have all that duration nonsense? 5 rounds is effectively forever, already.

Because if you don't give it an explicit end time someone will argue that it lasts literally forever and make it an ancient curse or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's a pretty universal agreement among DMs though to the effect of "gently caress it, you get a Haversack or a Bag of Holding. I don't want to have to track this poo poo." And for some reason, this doesn't hurt Muscles Malone's feelings the way removing traps makes your Resident Thieves Tools Expert feel unwanted.

I think, classically speaking, this can be traced back to encumbrance being dumb as hell. Nobody sets out to build a hero whose cool gimmick is 'I can carry a lot of stuff', and worrying if your dude in heavy armor can carry it, his weapon, and some food without keeling over is lame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Carrying a backpack with dungeoneering tools, rope, tents, ladders, etc. makes complete logical sense for adventurers, because they have no idea what they'll run into, but it also makes terrible thematic sense, because Hercules isn't going to fight while carrying a giant camping pack on his back no matter how strong he is. And nobody imagines their character with weapons and armor and spell flourishes, with 100lb of bulky gear towering over him all day every day.

If encumbrance is supposed to make any kind of sense except as a resource to manage, any sane characters wouldn't leave home without wagons and wheelbarrows to carry their expedition gear, even if they were strong as hell.

I mean, it's not all that far off what a modern soldier carries, weight wise. A modern infantryman is often hauling 70-100lbs of poo poo into a fight.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

Kender and Gully Dwarves, though.

People who want to play kender need to be fired into the sun.

That is all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve never used or encountered mind flayers in my previous playing or DMing of D&D. I just read the stat block, and while I don’t like control loss, my assumption is that the people who have intensively studied this game while developing it assigned the CR appropriately. (Certainly by now there would be errata if something were way off.) To discover that a pair of mind flayers could slaughter a level 12 party, rather than being a way to warm up and flex like a pair of tyrannosaurs would be, would be both distressing and embarrassing as a DM.

(I even cheated because I’ve read this thread and searched Sage Advice to see if there was even the slightest caution about using them in a campaign, or warning of some kind.)

Even if the books are regularly excelled by experienced players, they should help inexperienced ones produce better results than those players would have without the book. The mind flayer is a straight gently caress-up, and they should amend and apologize — or just remove from future printings if it’s too hard to get right. This on its own condemns neither the texts (please let this one go by, Ar*v*a) nor the authors as useless, but it can’t really be taken as an example of competence either. It’s a disservice to the buyers and players, and it’s hard to come up with a charitable interpretation of why such an attractive nuisance has been left to stand unaddressed.

That is never a good assumption. The general takeaway is that mind flayers are a 'gently caress you' monster from back in the day that is drastically under-cr if encountered cold, on the asumption that players should have the metagame knowledge of how they work to trivialize them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not trying to change your minds about it, I already said you guys won't agree with me. LIke it's a fundamental difference in a opinions and playstyle, most of you guys seem to be very cautious and risk averse in games. The idea of characters being disabled or killed seems to be a negative mark for a lot of you.

Risk averse? Nah. Grown rear end adults with limited free time who don't need to spend it bored because our buddy the GM picked a monster that specifically has 'go get pizza' effect durations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I don't mean to be dismissive, but do you honestly not see the difference between failing at what is attempted and being unable to act at all?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

koreban posted:

One of the most memorable sections of the Drizzt trilogy is him being captured by mind flayers and having to work out an escape. Like, this is in the zeitgeist of D&D.

I don't know how to explain to you the difference between what is good storytelling in a novel, and what is engaging in gameplay. The Drizzt captivity would be boring as hell and bad if we had to play it round by round, too.

Mind Flayers are fine to have in the game. Taking players out of the game for more than a couple rounds with a single high-probability ability isn't. This is why Maze was such a pain in AD&D.

quote:

Maze (Conjuration/Summoning)
Level: 8 Components: V, S Range: ½"/level Casting Time: 3 segments Duration: Special Saving Throw: None Area of Effect: One creature
Explanation/Description: An extra-dimensional space is brought into being upon utterance of a Maze spell. The recipient will wander in the shifting labyrinth of force planes for a period of time which is totally dependent upon its intelligence. (Note: Minotaurs are not affected by this spell.)
Intelligence of
Mazed Creature Time Trapped in Maze
under 3 2 to 8 turns
3 to 5 1 to 4 turns
6 to 8 5 to 20 rounds
9 to 11 4 to 16 rounds
12 to 14 3 to 12 rounds
15 to 17 2 to 8 rounds
18 and up 1 to 4 rounds

Taking the Fighter out for 10 minutes was no fun but good tactics. The D20 version is 10 minutes, with a DC20 Int check every round to break free.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Generally, one round of combat is fine, although a 75% hit rate AOE that does that would be a powerful ability on its own.

Making that last multiple rounds is, given a failure of a surprise roll, a 75% chance of a one shot party wipe. That's worse than the OSR stuff people bitch about being meatgrinders for the sake of meatgrinders.

Honestly, my 'fix' for it would simply be to make the AOE deal non-lethal psionic damage. Fits the purpose on the monster of letting them subdue targets to brainmunch while still letting players use the established mechanics for dealing with damage to interact with the results of the attack.

Easy peasy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

No Luck Needed posted:

I am more thinking 1d2+1 tarrasques. I am a big fan of reskinning monsters. I think the tarrasques are going to be children of dagon, chtulu, or asmodeus or what not. I think they are going to be underwater encased in giant eggs but being underwater these eggs would be covered in coral, plant life, and home to fish so might not be that obvious. Originally there would of be four eggs but a few of them are broken; whatever the parentage, the tarrasques were being created to be world destroyers and the remaining ones were never unleashed. So the players do a thing and unleash the tarrasques, each going separate directions with the players have to corral the monsters into fighting each other big kaiju monster style. Hope the players can make sure all the tarrasques finish each other off or are able to deliver the killing blows so the monsters do not destroy civilization.

I have been using demons and devils as soon as able to that will not be anything new just more powerful. What I am really wondering is if anyone has run or been in even like a one-shot of high level play and if any monsters or encounters stick out to you as the player or the game master.

Angels.

Players are never ready to have inherently Good things try to roll them, and there's a lot of fun to be had with either 'Good does not mean Nice' or 'Lawful Good when applied fully is indistinguishable from Lawful Evil'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's extremely good gameplay design that one monster's singular ability changes the fight from "extremely easy" to "near party wipe" with no warning to the GM about it.

It's mostly terrible lovely design, part GM incompetence to look at that statline and not go 'woah, this save is pretty high for a multi-target one-shot ability with that much duration...'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

An ability that halves the parties actions per turn would be much more fair if it just gave her two turns for the party's one instead of some people getting hosed.

Psionic nonleathal damage.

It's right there, has the same general effect, but is way easier to work with and recover from.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just a note, unless that wall is a dome or anchored to a ceiling, there's no reason a targeted spell with sufficient range to make the jink can't hit someone behind it.

Combat is in a 3 dimensional battlefield, not 2. Hitting people with Magic Missile around corners or using Flamestrike on people behind walls of force since it specifically comes from above, not from the caster, is the oldest of old school.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 12, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CJ posted:

What do you all think of adding a humanity system to 5E? I watched Made in Abyss recently and replayed Dark Souls and i really like the feeling of adventuring wearing down your soul. After thinking about it a bit i think it would also help mechanically as well. The setting would be sort of like a fantasy version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., where there was some great cataclysm that flooded the world with demonic energy making everywhere outside of cities hazardous.

Your humanity would be a score that would decrease. If you died and ressed it would decrease, acting as a middle ground between permadeath and death not mattering once you have access to res spells. It would also decrease for extended periods in the wilderness, which acts as a soft timer for excursions so that the players would have a reason not to rest after every encounter. I'd also say you would lose some for attuning to magic items but that's for thematic reasons and i haven't thought through the mechanical repercussions.

As for the panalty, i was thinking that once it drops below a certain threshold you roll a d20 when long resting in the wilderness and ona 1 you lose your character, either from becoming a mindless zombie like going hollow in Dark Souls, or going crazy like in Cyberpunk 2020 or turning into a monstrosity like in Bloodborne. Then as your humanity got lower you would drop to smaller die increasing the likelihood. I like this because it's less gameable and plays into the chaotic unknown feeling of it. You can tell someone is in bad shape based on their score but you don't know if they will succumb that night or in 6 months. I'm not sure about debilities. I don't like the idea of wounds because it sucks to get crit then lose an arm, but maybe it's ok to accrue penalties for long term build up of small failures?

Please tell me why this is a bad idea. The main negative i could think of was that the mechanics and setting might be too depressing/oppressive for some players to enjoy it. Mechanically it seems like it would work well as a deterrent for degenerate gameplay.

That is a terrible idea in a game which is by nature purely a dungeoncrawler.

Seriously, mechanics that punish players for playing the game as intended are bad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wonder how much of that is a reaction to how absurdly you could abuse summoning in 3.5. Druids got real crazy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Encounter building is busted as hell RAW anyway. So build encounters assuming the players will always be fresh and at 80-90% power. That usually means just putting in more enemies. Design them to be fun combat challenges in their own right (and interesting stories), and don't play the resource minigame. Let them rest when they want and can justify it. Discourage them from taking long rests at the beginning of the day however you want, it's an inherent weakness of the system.

If you write a story that would make rest difficult or impossible, then you need to go to the trouble of estimating the resource depletion minigame. Otherwise, you'll get a feel for the challenges they can beat very quickly.

I always draw a line between dungeons and encounters when planning a session. Dungeons are meant to be a series of encounters under time pressure with decreasing available resources. Regular encounters can be built assuming full character power will be mostly regained between them.

That way everyone gets to use their One Big Thing fairly often which makes them feel good, and the times when they can't just rest real quick make for stronger tension.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kingcom posted:

Its got uhh issues. One of the biggest is that its built from a pathfinder conversion and it means there is a very large number of levels of nothing before mechanics show up and even then there are some real problems with the class going forward if you're a little unlucky.

Gunslinger is Real Bad in PF as well, because their implementation of guns is terrible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Use folded index cards to represent the players/monsters for turn order. Put critical stats on the back so you can see them (AC/DC/PP).

If you have space, go one better and get a magnetic whiteboard, and some cheap magnets you can layer with PC names, then just slap down in order as people roll initiative up. My old GM always kept one of these standing in the corner of the table, and it really helped speed combat along by letting the party know who was going when.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kazr posted:

This + dry erase markers have been invaluable to my game. I use dice to represent enemies https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015IQO2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tLlsCbN9RDEMA

I only bust it out for more intense or pivitol fights, usually stuff I have had planned in advance, and otherwise let theater of the mind do the work. My friend runs exclusively theater of the mind with a small dry erase board to give a rough idea of positions and it works great as well.

Chessex maps are the gold standard. I always used them for any D&D after 2e because it was so built around 5' squares.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

The distance limitation is so that the player isn't just like, so what if I bury my phylactery in a deep hole somewhere and now I'm safe forever? The proficiency is a nice perk. I like that suggestion, that's a good suggestion! I personally thought about maybe a wisdom bonus reflecting a long life of experience. How about giving the phylactery itself as many saving throws as you get? So effectively you get double the saving throws, but split it among your controlled body and your phylactery?

I mean that is, in fact, the purpose of a phylactery.

I would probably remove the distance limitation, but if you wanted to keep it interesting, make it so that the phylactery has to be the target of any beneficial spells or effects, rather than the body they are animating.

That way they have a reason to keep it nearby.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

inthesto posted:

Speaking of "not all thieves are rogues", what are some characters who have "rogue" written on their character sheet but aren't criminals of any kind?

In the past I've done an Indiana Jones type of professor and a military scout who got really angry if you called him a thief. What other character types fit the rogue abilities without actually being a thief?

The classic dungeoneering rogue doesn't need to be a thief. They're treasure hunters, and adventuring is a respectable-ish profession.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Froghammer posted:

That's what I've gathered. Blood Hunter scratches the "Use HP as a resource to deal damage to enemies" itch that's everywhere in video games but DnD is super hesitant to touch for whatever reason, and it's generic enough to cover any sort of dark knight / deranged monster hunter / martial-oriented forbidden magic boy.

D&D is hesitant to touch it because it becomes a pain in the rear end for the rest of the party rather than a resource management issue for the player using it.

That style of character turns into an incredibly action inefficient method of turning the party healer's spell slots into damage.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 31, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Madmarker posted:

How many encounters did they have beforehand? If that was the first or second fight of the day and everyone was nice and stacked with spell slots and hp, the party will punch way above its weight. You should really be aiming for 3-6 combat encounters per long rest.

Yeah, this is the biggest thing about D&D scaling. If you let your party go into every encounter rested, they are going to go top-down on it and lay it to waste.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Glazius posted:

I wasn't being metaphorical. Players can't make the sun rise. The Earth rotates on its own until the part of the Earth the players are on is exposed to the sun again. Human intervention cannot achieve this. It is not possible.

How is it possible for the players to stop their characters from reaching 0 hit points? This is not a trick question.

Controlling risk in line with what their resources can tolerate, isn't it?

I mean that's the central tension of all D&D combat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

i would ask them what kind of character they want to play; if they don’t know, fighter is fine, but pretty much any martial at level 2 is going to be simple enough in terms of what they can do that it shouldn’t be too much for a new player to learn

I go the opposite way on this. Giving people Fighters as a newbie class is doing them a huge disservice because fighters have the smallest suite of ways to interact with the game mechanically and the least solutions to problems that aren't a monster to be stabbed.

Fighter is a class for people who want to engage heavily with the combat mechanics, and is best played by people who already know they find that their main locus of fun in playing.

My go-to starter for people is Cleric. They have a good selection of magic and decent martial abilities to back it up, and have a built in spot in the team dynamic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's been pretty much the answer to high-end monsters since AD&D. They are generally meat tanks with good resistances, so save or lose is pretty much the option.

Another part of why there's such a late game power issue between classes, because martials don't get save or die abilities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Saw this on the mostly-garbage /r/dndmemes today and ngl... I felt it:

It puts a DM in such a difficult place when all the players want to do is be goofy custom deviantart OCs before literally anything else about the campaign is known. Like none of those ideas are terrible in isolate, but they demonstrate a fundamental problem a lot of D&D players (and DMs) have which is-- thinking solely in self-interested terms. D&D is collaborative.

That's why I personally bar brand-new players from terribly exotic races/character concepts, especially homebrew. It's a bit like a baking student attempting macarons on day one instead of learning how to make cookie dough. Sometimes you really do need to start with the fundamentals and be willing to cede your personal hype to the rest of the group while you learn how to listen and collaborate.

Then eventually yes, they can end up as part of the wacky insane party where every character concept is wild homebrew and an anime princess sky-pirate teams up with a half-silicon/half-preying mantis Psionic Knight and a pile of sentient rocks that use abacus logic to cast mathematical magic. That stuff can rule... but it's kind of a privilege and not something you bust out at Session 0 your first time because "I don't see the appeal of pretending to be a Dwarf."

Not going to lie here, you sound like you'd be terrible to play with.

Let people have fun. The goal of a GM isn't to make players sit though their Song of Ice And Fire knockoff, and there's nothing collaborative about telling your players they shouldn't bring their ideas to your game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I feel like you and I have vast gulfs in our perception of a "new player". To me, a new player is someone like how I was when I was first introduced to the game: they don't own any of the books, they've heard of D&D because of course they have but they've never done any tabletop before, and the challenge is getting them to the table and convincing them that doing all this paperwork to roll dice is actually going to result in a good time. If you start them as cleric, you are either half building their character for them, or you're giving them the massive assignment of "hey before you have any fun, can you go ahead and pick from this big list of subclasses that you have no idea about and read up on twenty two spells on top of all the poo poo already involved in making a character and us teaching you how rolling a dice to attack people works?" I can't think of a faster way to unsell someone on this hobby than frontloading all this poo poo. Even if you pick spells for them you're still going to have to explain a subset of them. Meanwhile, if you stick to martials, you basically just ask if they wanna be a dude in armour, a shirtless guy with a big axe, a kung fu fighter, or a sneaky guy, and then you completely ignore spellcasting and about the most complicated list of things for them to look over is what fighting style they want as fighter, and you defer subclass stuff until you've already had a few sessions and sold them on the idea. If they decide after a few sessions, actually, spellcasting looks really cool, conveniently wizards has given fighter a subclass where they can start doing that.

If someone is new to D&D 5e but ultimately is already "in" on tabletop or actively wants to play and is willing to do a bunch of research, yeah, probably fighter is gonna be a little boring. But if they're someone you're trying to draw in it doesn't have any homework for them to worry about while you teach them the game.

Bit disingenuous there, aren't we? Starting a new cleric, even at level three is 'so what kind of belief do you want your character to have' followed by 'glance over this list of spells and pick a couple to know'. You don't have to gently caress about with subclasses and the like, it's a new player's first character, they're not spreadsheeting out a min/max 20 level build for it and there's no reason that you as the DM can't let them change it later if they don't like how it rolls.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Baller Ina posted:

Clerics get their entire spell list, not "a couple to know". Show a new player a list of 15+ spells and say "what do you want to cast today" and I feel like they'll be a bit overwhelmed. I think Artificer might be a good choice for a new player- in combat prowess mixed with a limited spell list, which you can curate for your new player.

That's the point. They can change it up at any remem, so the only pressure is 'pick a couple you want to be able to do at the start of the game', with zero pressure for it to be a long-term decision since the character's a good night's sleep away from a new spell list if this one sucks for the player.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A very high skill ceiling is a really good way to put it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hate to sound like a weirdo here but if the players can't find the trap door needed to advance to the next part of the dungeon, then does it need to be a trap door? At some point the players will try something that maybe makes sense and as the GM you can have it just work and then lead where the trap door would have gone.

"I check the walls to see if there's anything unusual" "yes that one's an illusion and it leads to this room oops I forgot to include the entry door it's right here."

If no one's having fun constantly failing: you've got that power to make a judgment call between how funny they'll find it when they finally figure out where the trap door is, or whether the scenario is actually bullshit and a worthy use of your God powers to change reality and move things along.

Turning the failures into a running joke can be great as well. In my PF game our party are known amongst themselves as the 'doorlords', because somehow in 13 levels we have never once successfully unlocked a door. To the point that now our fighter has an adamantine axe for the specific purpose of door removal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tenik posted:

The secret is planning a quarter of what you think you need, improvising most of it mid-session, and letting players take care of the rest :ssh:

You said that you want it to touch on your character's backstories more. Let those players flesh out the areas, NPCs, and details related to their characters.

The clever GM's secret is to remember that it takes five minutes to reskin an encounter. Present your players with false choices, so they feel they have narrative control, but either way you're using the fight you mechanically prepped for and just swapping out NPC flavors and set dressing.

Also, I rather like the gods being objectively real in Faerun because they're also not omnipotent or omniscient. The religious argument isn't the unprovable 'is God real' question, it instead hinges on if the gods are worthy of worship.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

haha, a sheet of glass, this one weird trick that wizards hate!

And that's why Resilient Sphere is the god-spell, and has a specifically called-out in the rules ability to be targeted by Disintegrate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rutibex posted:

If a natural 1 or a natural 20 gets rolled something interesting is going to happen. It is the will of Savras.

Also keep in mind that the DM is going to roll a natural 1 more than any player. Even the mighty lich lord can fizzle his spell and look like a jack-rear end, thats just how the weave works.

But what if, and brace yourself here, something intesting happened every time dice got rolled in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

DnD literally started out as a war game called Chainmail. Every other social and storytelling element that has been grafted onto that foundation hasn't changed its fundamental character. If you want a tabletop game oriented around things that aren't killing dudes, I recommend selecting something built from the ground up for that purpose. Frankly, DnD is anywhere from mediocre to awful at everything but its core, which is combat.

Even the combat isn't stellar sometimes because it still suffers from... being designed as a war game. You know, one where your wizards are special solo units power equivalent to ranks of fighters.